• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Soulhouf

I disagree, Heavy slow weapons, like UGS needs a defense against faster weapons, and that is the parry. Maybe hornet is too stronk, but also is a goodamn Goddard Twinswords that can take of you like 1/3 HP with a fucking roll into L1, with buffs and leo's ring and then you are like «why I have an UGS at all when I can have that at much less weight, faster, less stamina consumption and deceiving long reach» and the answer is «because If I can get a parry or a hit on that fucker he's done».

Parry are easy to punish, parries are unreliable and they aren't that useful against a smart player, but also is a deterrent for shitty spamming tactics and battle arts.

Maybe it shouldn't be a one hit kill, but the whole point of heavy weapons is hitting hard, so if get a parry on a stupid dork sword user I expect that he's gonna receive a lot of damage.

The problem is that when you make hornet ring less effective, that applies to daggers too.
Daggers are already hard to use. Make them do more damage than an UGS on a hornet ring repost and now you have a good reason to use them.
I should wait to see the critical damage increase for daggers before saying anything but I doubt it will be that big.

UGS do already a lot of damage and giving them the advantage with riposts/backstabs (which are originally made for assassins) over daggers doesn't make sense to me.

Ferr986

The issue isn't the ring itself, it's the fact that it's used with UGS, Great Axes and such for a great effect.

Make hornet ring only work with small weapons.
Problem solved.

Initial tests seems to point in that direction. Nerf is only applied to big weapons like UGS.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
wait...after re-watching did pontiffs eye actually help me with the successive attack damage?!?!? It looks like I did a strike there that was much higher damage toward the end despite at least one earlier bleed providing less....always thought pontiffs was useless so took it off.
Yes it did. You can see the arrow icon appearing.

The ring works pretty well in that it procs almost immediately (unlike the left eye ring ring which needs several hits and barely heals you, it's useless even with weapons like claws).

The problem is that when you make hornet ring less effective, that applies to daggers too.
Daggers are already hard to use. Make them do more damage than an UGS on a hornet ring repost and now you have a good reason to use them.
I should wait to see the critical damage increase for daggers before saying anything but I doubt it will be that big.

UGS do already a lot of damage and giving them the advantage with riposts/backstabs (which are originally made for assassins) over daggers doesn't make sense to me.
Agreed completely.

Also, well, UGS have that ridiculous stunlock in addition to their high damage too. Sure they're slow, but with lag or a single mistimed roll, you lose most of your health bar in two hits.
But of course there's that fight-with-a-dark-sword-and-swap-to-UGS-when-riposting trick which I hate, and people are just gonna do that with daggers now, which weight less. -_-

I disagree, Heavy slow weapons, like UGS needs a defense against faster weapons, and that is the parry. Maybe hornet is too stronk, but also is a goodamn Goddard Twinswords that can take of you like 1/3 HP with a fucking roll into L1, with buffs and leo's ring and then you are like «why I have an UGS at all when I can have that at much less weight, faster, less stamina consumption and deceiving long reach» and the answer is «because If I can get a parry or a hit on that fucker he's done».

Parry are easy to punish, parries are unreliable and they aren't that useful against a smart player, but also is a deterrent for shitty spamming tactics and battle arts.

Maybe it shouldn't be a one hit kill, but the whole point of heavy weapons is hitting hard, so if get a parry on a stupid dork sword user I expect that he's gonna receive a lot of damage.
Yeah which is why I don't want em to nerf it to unusability, just nerf it so it's not a OHK. Maybe like 70% of the user's health if they have like 40 VIG? Should be enough to get them to panic.

This game makes me giggle some of the time.

I crushed Sulyvahn and Aldrich on my second try each. Dancer I took down in three or four. The first Lothric Knight after Dancer? He has rekt my face more times than I can count.

This game makes me giggle some of the time.

I crushed Sulyvahn and Aldrich on my second try each. Dancer I took down in three or four. The first Lothric Knight after Dancer? He has rekt my face more times than I can count.

That's what I love about Dark Souls. You reach this point of "I'm amazing, nothing can shut me down!" -dies to common hollow- :(

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I shed a manly tear upon seeing that the AR on my Anri sword fell by 35 after this update.

I only do PvE - I WASN'T HURTING ANYBODY.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I shed a manly tear upon seeing that the AR on my Anri sword fell by 35 after this update.

I only do PvE - I WASN'T HURTING ANYBODY.
That sucks.
I was doing pretty much only PvP with it, but it's not even that good in PvP until super high level (at which point everything is as good or better anyway).
Might have to find a new weapon for my assassin invader...

LMAO

Regulation 1.10 incoming. Test your shit, From xD

Edit: nevermind, it's not real, just a joke with a hack. Guess it's telling that we thought From fucked up again (not intentionally of course but it was almost believable!) xD

DAMMIT! I was so excited to go on and like use it on Pontiff. Pretty hilarious though, I was like gj From you ruined PvP more :(.

What

The

Fuck

FROM SOFT

Fromsoft has betrayed us yet again </3

Defyler

Hmmmm... Have been invading at sL 35 with a +4 weapon in cathedral. Goes alright. However, when I look up recent players all the hosts and phantoms are 45+ range, even up to 60.

Should I be going up to 40 - 45 for cathedral?

Hmmmm... Have been invading at sL 35 with a +4 weapon in cathedral. Goes alright. However, when I look up recent players all the hosts and phantoms are 45+ range, even up to 60.

Should I be going up to 40 - 45 for cathedral?

I think 35 is a good range to be at tbh. Don't worry too much about leveling your SL if you're able to handle the area. I usually level if a)I have a buttload of souls I don't wanna lose and I'm not at the 135 range yet. Or if I'm doing very little damage/dying super quick to common mobs.

kaos.

Show off! :p

Well done though, it's way tougher than DS1 and 2 for me at SL1. Kudos :)

Sorry for the delay, i just finished uploading all the SL1 videos, i hope you'll like them. :)
Here they are:

Iudex Gundyr
Vordt of the Boreal Valley
Curse-rotted Greatwood
Crystal Sage
Deacons of the Deep
Abyss Watchers
High Lord Wolnir
Dancer of the Boreal Valley
Yhorm the Giant
Oceiros, the Consumed King
Ancient Wyvern
Champion Gundyr
Pontiff Sulyvahn
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods
Old Demon King
Dragonslayer Armour
The Twin Princes
The Nameless King
Soul of Cinder

I want to say to everyone just 3 things:
1) i'm not a pro-gamer, so my videos are very far from perfect and full of mistakes... if i did a SL1, everyone can do it!
2) i recorded the NK's battle in the middle of a night when i came back home half drunk... so i missed many rolls and i often drinked estus choosing very bad timings, sorry. :/
3) I beat Champion Gundyr early to get asap hornet ring, priestess ring and prisoner's chain... but i completely forgot about this last one, until Orin GA posted his SL1 video! :/ Thank you Orin GA, you made my fight vs Soul of Cinder a lot simpler. :)

I wonder if they'll make NG+ harder in the DLCs. Like the second DLC of Dark Souls 2 hard. That shit was obnoxious in NG+.

Also, why do so many Streamers use DXRacer? They seem a tad expensive for a chair :/. Do they get it for free or something?

I wonder if they'll make NG+ harder in the DLCs. Like the second DLC of Dark Souls 2 hard. That shit was obnoxious in NG+.

Also, why do so many Streamers use DXRacer? They seem a tad expensive for a chair :/. Do they get it for free or something?

I think they get the chair for free.

How is sorcery so far?

Defyler

How do you know their level?

On xbone you can look at recent players and compare achievements. In that list it shows the players lvl on that specific character, time spent on it, and game progress.

It's clear when it's someone's second character when they have 80%+ of the achievements and the second character I'm looking at the stats for has boss cheevos yet unlocked.

Tarkus

I just don't think I could do an SL1 run. Not because of the challenge, but because I would get bored of using the limited selection of weapons. I'm definitely a weapon whore. I use at least 15 different weapons and from all classes. I've started SL1 runs on the prior games but always got bored really quick. I'm a PvP'er anyway. 250 hours in on this game across 3 builds and 190 of it nothing but dueling or invading.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So I went ask to the undead settlement after awhile and noticed the sky and music changes (like what happened in Bloodborne), it's kind of eerie. What triggers this?

I think they get the chair for free.

How is sorcery so far?

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. I might decide to Stream for a chair, because one streamer I know only has like 100 viewers but they have the chair and a 10% off referral code thing which leads me to believe they're partnered with DX.

I gave up on my sorcery dude when I fought Crystal Mage D:

On xbone you can look at recent players and compare achievements. In that list it shows the players lvl on that specific character, time spent on it, and game progress.

It's clear when it's someone's second character when they have 80%+ of the achievements and the second character I'm looking at the stats for has boss cheevos yet unlocked.

I wish Steam had all those stats :/
In that case I'll be f**ked because I only have a character on ng+++ and a SL1 character on ng.

Lol yeah me too. One character is on NG++ my other didn't even fight Dancer yet and my third is a mage so he sucks.

I'm still one-shotting phantoms with the Hornet Ring, it must be "working as intended" or people are still running around with 27 Vig, lmao.

Which weapon are you using?
I just tried it with the Profaned Great Sword 2H and I did ~600 damage (36 str, 34 dex).

This was on my "Moon Man" build, using the Moonlight Greatsword and Crescent Moon Sword. I did over 1000 damage with the MLGS consistently (not sure if that is higher or lower than pre-1.09) changed) and with the Crescent Moon Sword I seem to do around 750. 40 Dex and 40 Int for stats.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I can never commit to anything. I change my armor and my weapon every 25 min or so, for kicks. It's a bad habit, I do that every dark souls game. It's probably why I suck at PVP haha.

Rotating between Chaos Washing Pole, Dark Dark Sword, Drakeblood Greatsword, Moonlight Great Sword, and Wolnir Holy Sword (to varrying degrees of success).

I tried to rock the Immolation Tinder for awhile to how cool it is, but it couldn't keep up :(

Tarkus

My friend and I weren't getting invaded in Consumed King's Garden either. :( Using dried finger too.
Still there? I'll try.

I have seen 2 Dark Swords today. Best I can tell is that damage is lower, R1 spam seems slower, and I could only do 8 R1s with my Dark Sword compared to the 9 I can do with the Lothric Knight Sword.

Danielsan

After a long break I finally started playing Dark Souls 3 again last week. I'm now at the G
rand
A
rchives
. Could you guys give me a ballpark figure how far I am?
Also I've been playing as a Dex character and I've pretty much been rolling with my Katana since the beginning of the game. Any good Dex weapons that could replace it?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
After a long break I finally started playing Dark Souls 3 again last week. I'm now at the G
rand
A
rchives
Also I've been playing as a Dex character and I've pretty much been rolling with my Katana since the beginning of the game. Any good Dex weapons that could replace it?
95% done with the main story. There are also three optional areas you might have missed.

Phased

rand
A
rchives

Nearly done.

85% of the way maybe.

Top Bottom