• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Pirate cosplay (fashion souls on point):

Yar Har Fiddle Dee Dee, It's Pirate Time: DS3

Yhorm fanart "Awakening" (artist is Tadayasu Ginho):

tadayasu-ginho-55974739-p0.jpg

A Comprehensive PVP Weapon Tier List by DamnNoHtml:

S tier - Weapons that are so good, you can reliably beat absolutely anything you encounter in the game, even if they are better than you. Mastering these weapons makes you an unfun nightmare to fight against.

• Estoc
  • Gotthard Twinswords
  • Carthus Curved Sword

A tier - Extremely useful weapons that either have an excellent gimmick to them, or are typically the most damaging or most efficient version of the weapon in its class.

• Dark Sword
  • Washing Pole
  • Onikiri and Ubadachi
  • Rapier
  • Ricard's Rapier
  • Irithyll Rapier
  • Uchigatana
  • Chaos Blade
  • Longsword
  • Dragonslayer Spear
  • Gargoyle Flame Spear
  • Winged Knight Halberd
  • Black Knight Glaive
  • Glaive
  • Red Hilted Halberd
  • Lucerne
  • Gundyr's Halberd
  • Anri's Straight Sword (on a Quality hollow build only)
  • Sunlight Straight Sword

B tier - Mostly solid weapons that may not be the best in their class, but can still easily take care of most players. Often these are weapons with the same movesets as higher tier classes, but with less range or damage, or they might be some of the best weapons in classes that aren't as effective.

• Storm Curved Sword
  • Broadsword
  • Shotel
  • Scimitar
  • Falchion
  • Pontiff Knight Curved Sword
  • Sellsword Twinblades
  • Warden Twinblades
  • Carthus Shotel
  • Astora Greatsword
  • Darkdrift
  • Bloodlust
  • Corvian Greatknife
  • Dragonslayer Swordspear
  • Immolation Tinder
  • Partizan
  • Halberd
  • Crescent Axe
  • Astora Straight Sword
  • Shortsword
  • Lothric Knight Sword
  • Barbed Straight Sword
  • Irithyll Straight Sword
  • Morion Blade
  • Claymore
  • Hollowslayer Greatsword
  • Moonlight Greatsword
  • Black Knight Sword
  • Thrall Axe
  • Drang Twinspears

C tier - Weapons here are generally still somewhat decent, but start relying more on the opponent to make a mistake rather than you outplaying them. Also here are weaker versions of higher tier weapons in the same class.

• Black Blade
  • Murakumo
  • Exile Greatsword
  • Old Wolf Curved Sword
  • Carthus Curved Greatsword
  • Crystal Sage's Rapier
  • Bastard Sword
  • Firelink Greatsword
  • Flamberge
  • Executioner's Greatword
  • Wolf Knight's Greatsword
  • Twin Prince's Greatsword
  • Battle Axe
  • Hand Axe
  • Brigand Axe
  • Dragonslayer's Axe
  • Butcher Knife
  • Man Serpent Hatchet
  • Great Machete
  • Yhorm's Great Machete
  • Black Knight Greataxe
  • Club
  • Mace
  • Morning Star
  • Drang Hammers
  • Reinforced Club
  • Warpick
  • Great Club
  • Claw
  • Arstor's Spear
  • Spear
  • Winged Spear
  • Four-Pronged Plow
  • Lothric Knight Long Spear
  • Great Corvian Scythe
  • Witch's Locks
  • Farron Greatsword

D-tier - These weapons either lack hyper armor, speed, damage, range, or something else significant which makes them fairly trivial against a good player. Most "Great Weapons" and Daggers fall under this category. There are a few weapons in better classes that are relegated here due to abysmal range or split / poor damage.

• Zweihander
  • Greatsword
  • Fume Ultra Greatsword
  • Profaned Greatsword
  • Cathedral Knight Greatsword
  • Black Knight Greatsword
  • Lorian's Greatsword
  • Lothric Knight Greatsword
  • Crescent Moon Sword
  • Dancer's Enchanted Swords
  • Painting Guardian's Curved Sword
  • Rotten Ghru Curved Sword
  • Winged Knight Twinaxes
  • Eleonora
  • Greataxe
  • Dragonslayer Greataxe
  • Demon's Greataxe
  • Blacksmith Hammer
  • Heysel Pick
  • Gargoyle Flame Hammer
  • Great Mace
  • Large Club
  • Vordt's Great Hammer
  • Morne's Great Hammer
  • Smough's Great Hammer
  • Old King's Great Hammer
  • Pickaxe
  • Dragon Tooth
  • Spiked Mace
  • Demon's Fist
  • Caestus
  • Manikin Claws
  • Tailbone Spear
  • Pike
  • Greatlance
  • Great Scythe
  • Pontiff Knight Great Scythe
  • Whip
  • Notched Whip
  • Spotted Whip
  • Dagger
  • Parrying Dagger
  • Mail Breaker
  • Bandit's Knife
  • Rotten Ghru Dagger
  • Handmaid's Dagger
  • Tailbone Short Sword
  • Brigand Twindaggers
  • Harpe
  • Lothric's Holy Sword
  • Storm Ruler

E-tier - These weapons sort of make no sense why they are so bad. A lot of them fall victim to split damage, or just having simply less damage than similar weapons for absolutely no reason. There is almost always an alternative, extremely similar weapon that is better.

• Cleric's Candlestick
  • Broken Straight Sword
  • Scholar's Candlestick
  • Wolnir's Holy Sword
  • Drakeblood Greatsword
  • Greatsword of Judgement
  • Dark Hand
  • Soldering Iron
  • Yorshka's Spear
  • Golden Ritual Spear
  • Saint Bident
  • Great Wooden Hammer

And those are my daily goodies from Reddit.

Soulhouf

A Comprehensive PVP Weapon Tier List by DamnNoHtml:
*read S and A list*
I never used any of these weapons. I perhaps need to try them at least.

Apologize for a n00b question but if I have never played any Souls games, can I start with this one?

Should I?

Absolutely. You'll miss the throwbacks and all the fan service but it's not that big of a deal TBH.
It's a polished and very fun game to play no matter what.

Dunkelgrau

1. Does the ability to get invisible (by ring or "hidden body") have any positive impact in PvE? I don't think so.

2. When I use the white sign soapstone, do I have to stay in the same area or can I use a bonfire and move on?

Apologize for a n00b question but if I have never played any Souls games, can I start with this one?
When you only put "normal attention" to the lore, the order does not really matter. You should play one or three first, because two sucks. Maybe it is even better to start with three, because it's more streamlined and easier. Even one is the best game ever made.

Mistel

Banned
*read S and A list*
It's more their opinion than anything so its fairly subjective to individual players other than the things which are almost unilaterally agreed terrible which you can. It does highlight the lack of viable PVP weapons.

Tarkus

It's more their opinion than anything so its fairly subjective to individual players other than the things which are almost unilaterally agreed terrible which you can. It does highlight the lack of viable PVP weapons.
Very subjective. Apparently I use a lot of B and C tier weapons.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
blacky[;208592980]1. Does the ability to get invisible (by ring or "hidden body") have any positive impact in PvE? I don't think so.
lol, very. If you mix it with the slumbering dragoncrest ring to mask your sound, you are 100% stealthy and can stand right next to an enemy and they won't detect you. Mix that with Aldrich's Sapphire (and hornet ring if you have it), and you can spam Hidden Body + Backstabs to refill your FP and destroy just about every enemy that way with free backstsabs.

The obscuring ring, however, only works in PvP, not PvE. It's very nice for invasions mixed with Hidden Body (for further stealth) and the slumbering dragoncrest though.

2. When I use the white sign soapstone, do I have to stay in the same area or can I use a bonfire and move on?
Stay in the same area.

Me too. I don't do that much duelling though, but I win a surprising amount of invasions with... caestus and manikin claws.

Sabin Figaro FTW! :)

Oh and here's me and my brother with his partizan and auto-crossbow... :)

1467139850-dark-souls-tm-iii-20160625163615.png

Pardon all the dirt on my face. Adventuring is hard work.

*read S and A list*

Noooooo, don't do it!

The middle of the list is subjective, but the top and bottom are spot on. Estoc and Twinswords are ridiculous with their stagger-locking ability. People say "oh they're not a problem if you're good at parrying #GitGud," but that's a lame excuse. It's very difficult to parry a skilled player who switches up their attack patterns, which is why that argument falls apart when an actual good player uses the Estoc or Twinswords. I don't actually come across many Carthus Curved Sword users so I can't comment on that one.

But yeah, the subjective part is in the middle. Take the Dragonslayer's Axe for example. I have a 60 Faith build and when buffed with Lightning Blade I do a shitload of damage with that weapon, with relatively low stamina cost per swing. It's an A-tier weapon with my build.

Dunkelgrau

lol, very. If you mix it with the slumbering dragoncrest ring to mask your sound, you are 100% stealthy and can stand right next to an enemy and they won't detect you. Mix that with Aldrich's Sapphire (and hornet ring if you have it), and you can spam Hidden Body + Backstabs to refill your FP and destroy just about every enemy that way with free backstsabs.

The obscuring ring, however, only works in PvP, not PvE. It's very nice for invasions mixed with Hidden Body (for further stealth) and the slumbering dragoncrest though.

That's very interesting, because I never had the impression that "hidden body" has an has an positive impact in PvE. Does the "Carthus Milkring" work in PvE?

I took your text to evernote and will try this when I have the lumbering dragoncrest ring. :)

Mistel

Banned
The middle of the list is subjective, but the top and bottom are spot on. Estoc and Twinswords are ridiculous with their stagger-locking ability. People say "oh they're not a problem if you're good at parrying #GitGud," but that's a lame excuse. It's very difficult to parry a skilled player who switches up their attack patterns, which is why that argument falls apart when an actual good player uses the Estoc or Twinswords. I don't actually come across many Carthus Curved Sword users so I can't comment on that one.
That's more why the bottom is the only concrete part than anything else as you've just provided a list with no context of skill/build/testing for the criteria which pretty much shows why tiers don't work.

For example the Estoc post nerf with the increased stamina usage and decreased range plus knowing the moveset really lowers the impact of facing an Estoc. The Twin swords sure you can stunlock with them and its the longest length but someone can easily wipe the floor with you using the Astora Greatsword which will keep it out of range it will need to be effective.

Lothric Knight Long Spear is C tier? Meet me at Pontiff list author.

List author is this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DamnNoHtml/videos

I'm pretty sure he plays on PC. Challenge him!

That's more why the bottom is the only concrete part than anything else as you've just provided a list with no context of skill/build/testing for the criteria which pretty much shows why tiers don't work.

For example the Estoc post nerf with the increased stamina usage and decreased range plus knowing the moveset really lowers the impact of facing an Estoc. The Twin swords sure you can stunlock with them and its the longest length but someone can easily wipe the floor with you using the Astora Greatsword which will keep it out of range it will need to be effective.

Here's some context from the author:

Hey guys, I saw that Japanese tier list a while ago and disagreed with some of the choices on there, so I thought I'd make my own. Also, this includes every melee weapon in the game. Obviously these are just my opinions - not right, not wrong. I base my opinions off of fights at SL120 with highly skilled players, not random duelists.

Tiers are the same as scaling in Dark Souls. S being the best, E being the worst. Typically, a weapon in a tier higher than another will have an easier time beating a player of equal skill using the lower tier weapon. This is obviously not a golden rule.

Also note, the order things are listed in each class is not relevant, as in I don't find the Washing Pole to necessarily be better or worse than the Dark Sword.

There's also some good discussion in the comments of the thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4q5qkv/a_comprehensive_pvp_weapon_tier_list/

Soulhouf

But yeah, the subjective part is in the middle. Take the Dragonslayer's Axe for example. I have a 60 Faith build and when buffed with Lightning Blade I do a shitload of damage with that weapon, with relatively low stamina cost per swing. It's an A-tier weapon with my build.

I have no problem against the rapier type weapons. They can't do much against a good stability shield (I always carry one just in case).
Ultra great swords are actually my nemesis and they are D-tier? C'mon...

Edit: I see the Japanese tier list mentioned. Do you have a link to it?

*Edit: I Googled the Japanese tier list and this is what I found:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/168566-dark-souls-iii/73739930/851704658

S+: Piercing Swords(rapiers), Red Halberd, Black Knight Glaive, Carthus Curved Sword, Great shields
S-: Darksword, Homosword(a.k.a twinprinces' greatsword), Washing Pole, Halberds, Small shields(for parrying purposes)
A+: Straight swords, Curved swords, Black Knight Greataxe, Black Knight Sword, Spears, Small shields, Black Knight Shield, Fists/claws(parrying), Gotthard Twinswords, Exile Greatsword
A-: Hollowslayer Greatsword, Dragon Tooth, Curved Greeatswords, Silver Knight shield, Shield of Want, Lothric Knight shield, Long spears, Greataxes, Lothric Knight Greatsword, Profaned Greatsword, Dancer's
B+: Ultra Greatswords, Greatswords, Spiked mace, Katanas, Twinswords, Hammers, Shields, Dragonslayer's axe, Thrall axe(as sub-weapon), Smough's Hammer, Yhorm's Machete
B-: Old Wolf Curved Sword, Farron Greatsword, Whips(sub), Axes, Shortswords(sub), Fists/clawas(sub), Great Hammers, Flameberge
C+: Whips(as main-weapon), Shortsword(main), Fists(main), Reapers, Onigiri(without Ubadachi)
C-: Onigiri(with Ubadachi), Claws(main), Greatlance
D: Darkhand, Broken Straight Sword

That list was made before the most recent patch though.

I have no problem against the rapier type weapons. They can't do much against a good stability shield (I always carry one just in case).
Ultra great swords are actually my nemesis and they are D-tier? C'mon...

Heheh I love facing Ultra Greatswords. They see my 1-handed axe and think they'll win a trade with me, until I use Unfaltering Prayer to poise through their hits and smack them in the face with a point-blank Sunlight Spear.

Put some hours in the game, I'm going for a Dex build. Any reccomended weapon? For now I'm using an uchigatana+2 (upgraded from the uchi from the naked guy)

squidyj

a good portion of that list is down to the biases of the person making it.

Also I switched over to using the Lothric Greatsword, the thing I dislike about UGS' is how slow they are but i'm hitting people for 600 at a time and generally guaranteed to hit twice with the regular r1 so.... a lot of people spend a lot of time thinking they're fine and they're winning and then they just die against me.

Put some hours in the game, I'm going for a Dex build. Any reccomended weapon? For now I'm using an uchigatana+2 (upgraded from the uchi from the naked guy)

The Uchi is a good weapon, so you can hold on to that for a while.

Much later on in the game you will get the Onikiri & Ubadachi twin katanas, which are great.

The Carthus Curved Greatsword is very strong.

The regular old Rapier is found early in the game and is quite good.

Ricard's Rapier is found much later on (in a secret area) but it's good and the weapon skill looks super cool.

(I originally recommended the Washing Pole and Estoc in this post but I edited them out because they scale better with a quality build)

Overall, Dex weapons are very strong in this game. Have fun!

I refuse to believe this! ok, I dunno, I just like those katanas, they look pretty cool.

That list was made before they were buffed. They are very good now.

Tarkus

That sucks. So even with Leo ring+refined/sharp/heavy infusion it is still worse than the other two?
Lucerne is fine in PvP. It does less damage but it also uses less stamina. I wouldn't worry too much about trying Leo Ring counters with it because you're rarely going to get them. This weapon is too slow to try for counters on the fly. At best, you're going to land one by luck when the opponent attacks and you have already swung. Using its range and weird hitboxes is how you shine with Lucerne. I won about 50% with it at +9 on a SL120 quality build. And it seems that I remember Lucerne was best left uninfused on this build, even considering refined.

Mistel

Banned
That sucks. So even with Leo ring+refined/sharp/heavy infusion it is still worse than the other two?
Supplementary to Sourshoes infusions might give it the edge over other halberds depending on your build. Its viable without it but its not the top of the AR in the group.

Mr Git

I can attest to this. My hollowed Vinheim Spook has obscuring ring, slumbering dragoncrest ring, untrue dark ring and scares the shit out of people regularly. Invisible body on top is just cruel, but great.

Man, Outrider Knights have to be the hardest non-boss enemies in the game. I'm on my 5th playthrough and I've died every time - at least once per run - against that asshole at the end of Undead Settlement. It's also the first enemy I've come across that was able to break through my Unfaltering Prayer and stagger me. I didn't even think that was possible.

Also, this is the most brutal PvP combo I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TJHtF9CxO0

I'd be crapping myself if I was up next in that fight club.

Tarkus

Man, Outrider Knights have to be the hardest non-boss enemies in the game. I'm on my 5th playthrough and I've died every time - at least once per run - against that asshole at the end of Undead Settlement. It's also the first enemy I've come across that was able to break through my Unfaltering Prayer and stagger me. I didn't even think that was possible.

Also, this is the most brutal PvP combo I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TJ... Black Knight Glaive became much less common.

That combo used to be guaranteed with no chance of escape. Then it got nerfed a couple of patches ago. That's also the time when the Black Knight Glaive became much less common.

Yeah I remember that stupid combo. This video is post-patch though; the onion dude had a chance to roll away but messed up.

I thought Fume Ultra Greatsword was considered to be really good?

It got nerfed a while ago.

Mistel

Banned
I thought Fume Ultra Greatsword was considered to be really good?
It got nerfed on the damage front but it still has potential I wouldn't worry where it fits on somebody's list which is completely subjective and only really applies in the context of the person who made it.

It got nerfed on the damage front but it still has potential I wouldn't worry where it fits on somebody's list which is completely subjective and only really applies in the context of the person who made it.

The cool thing about the Fume is that it's actually a decent shield too. I've heard some people use it to great effect in their offhand for poking and blocking.

explorer

Just started playing...Some noob questions, if you don't mind...! :)

1. Is there any reason to hang on to unneeded armor/weapons or can I just sell them? I seem to recall in earlier souls games that you needed weak items to craft 'epic' items later in the game.

2. Is there any reason to hang on to 'usable' souls (i.e.: Soul of the Traveler, etc.) or is it safe to just use these as I find them?

3. Can I ever use miracles or pyromancy as an Assassin?

4. Is the Firelink tower key worth buying for 20K? :)

5. Can I use the dried finger more than once?

Thanks!

Tarkus

Just started playing...Some noob questions, if you don't mind...! :)

1. Is there any reason to hang on to unneeded armor/weapons or can I just sell them? I seem to recall in earlier souls games that you needed weak items to craft 'epic' items later in the game.

2. Is there any reason to hang on to 'usable' souls (i.e.: Soul of the Traveler, etc.) or is it safe to just use these as I find them?

3. Can I ever use miracles or pyromancy as an Assassin?

4. Is the Firelink tower key worth buying for 20K? :)

5. Can I use the dried finger more than once?

Thanks!
1. Not worth the souls you get. Just put them in the box.

2. Use them if you have them. They're good for leveling up if you're just short a few souls.

3. Yes

4. It's worth it early to mid game if you can afford it. Not so much in late game.

5. You only need to use it once. If you see the dried fingers icon under your stamina bar, then it's working and searching for invaders.

Any gaffers on Steam able to help me with vertebra shackles? Apparently all I need to do is have someone summon me via red sign and allow me to kill them ~25 times.

Trakan

The huge dog beasts were the worst for me.

Tarkus

Prepare to see the Black Knight Greatsword everywhere in PvP in the next few days. It has a true 3 hit combo that can do 1600+ damage. The news is making the rounds. Two-handed R1 into an unlocked fully charged R2 that hits on the back swing when facing away from the opponent and can be aimed 180 degrees for the forward swing that launches. Unparryable too, fuck me.
annoying music warning

I just officially had one of the worst, most childish rage quits in ages.

Don't hit the spoiler tag if you dislike profanity.

Aldritch you dirty motherfucker I swear. Are you fucking kidding me with that rain of arrows BULLSHIT?? How the fuck can you possibly reliably dodge this nonsense in phase 2??? Lock-on turns into a disaster when anywhere near its body, so battle that as well while running from fifty projectiles, fire and arrows. I never call things 'cheap' but this boss comes close. Spam the rain of arrows three times in a row? Sure why not!! Fuck you Miyazaki, I take back all the nice things I've said about you, take that.

Prepare to see the Black Knight Greatsword everywhere in PvP in the next few days. It has a true 3 hit combo that can do 1600+ damage. The news is making the rounds. Two-handed R1 into an unlocked fully charged R2 that hits on the back swing when facing away from the opponent and can be aimed 180 degrees for the forward swing that launches. Unparryable too, fuck me.
annoying music warning

Ewwww, thats like insane damage but faster weapons can deal with it.

Aldritch you dirty motherfucker I swear. Are you fucking kidding me with that rain of arrows BULLSHIT?? How the fuck can you possibly reliably dodge this nonsense in phase 2??? Lock-on turns into a disaster when anywhere near its body, so battle that as well while running from fifty projectiles, fire and arrows. I never call things 'cheap' but this boss comes close. Spam the rain of arrows three times in a row? Sure why not!! Fuck you Miyazaki, I take back all the nice things I've said about you, take that.

Hug his body?

I keep facing the same damn meta builds over and over. In the spirit of revenge, what is the most annoying build I can make? Here's my initial attempt:

FnlmzO4.png

Gotthard's Twinswords for general attacking, Yhorm's Greatshield + Estoc for pure annoyance. I've never actually used a greatshield but I hear they're very potent when paired with a fast weapon like the Estoc. I've never actually used the Estoc or Gotthard's Twinswords either.

*Edit: Crap, I forgot about the Leo Ring. I'll swap out Chloranthy for it.

2AdEPT

I know! Not a peep in weeks! :(

I wonder if its becuase she read too many negative comments about her speed/skill. Her skills were obviously rusty and her speed was glacially so. I think she gets bent out of shape if even one person complains and she tries to prove a point to her detractors, only to alienate all her faithful minions like me who will watch regardless.

Yup, I got flamed on the Game faq board for even insinuating he could be the cheapest boss ever....but I got my revenge.

2AdEPT

he bases it mostly on damage, and if the same moveset is available, I agree that the better damage weapon should be chosen, but often the skill art etc. isnt identical to all weapons in a particular moveset. THere definitely is still room to argue a lot of his choices.

I killed an invader named Oroboro with my new cancer build. I wonder if it was really him. Lol that would be funny.

So far PvP has gone quite well (as it should). I find myself using the Gotthard Twinswords much more than the Estoc. The greatshield is taking some getting used to, but man it can be a godsend. I'm able to punish parry spammers hard, but still, there was one invader who parried and killed me 3 times. He would start the fight using a Dark Sword and then he'd switch to the Dragonslayer Greataxe and go for the Hornet Ring parry. He'd get me by going for a parry that I'd avoid, and when I'd circle around for a backstab he'd parry again and it would land. I felt like an idiot after the 2nd time he caught me.

Also, the giant crabs are OP in NG++. Killed me several times during PvP fights, those bastards.

Tarkus

Ewwww, thats like insane damage but faster weapons can deal with it.
It's supposed to be a true combo if you're close enough on the first attack; you're stunned and can't get out of it. Now Praise the Sun has made a video on it as well. It will spread like cancer.

Edit: apparently you don't even have to unlock!

Top Bottom