• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Tarkus

Whew. The trash play styles are out so strong today that I had to eject the disc. It's been like this all week. Fuck this. Going back to DS2 for awhile.

Soulhouf

Yesterday my friend and I were invaded a few times by someone who was super laggy in the Grand Archives. At some point he invaded us while being.... completely invisible. It wasn't the obscuring ring or Hidden Body, as we both locked on to him and fought him at close range and he was still invisible (and Hidden Body eventually expires anyway).

In the earlier invasions he was just really laggy, teleporting/skating/delayed hits/etc., but the invisibility thing was just super weird. He was invisible to both me and my friend.

Are hackers coming to the PS4 now? :(

I think I invaded a "Hunter" something a while back, that wore Leonhard's hat and used a whip and crossbow. I thought it was probably a Bloodborne reference haha.

It's just online issue. Happened to me a couple of times.
The lag I saw in this game is so weird. It's never been this bad in the previous games but I keep faith they will end up fixing it.
Remember how summoning used to not work in Bloodborne? Now that game has the best summing system and by far. It's instantaneous, no loading, there are still occasionally some lag but it's never as bad as in the other games.

Oh and while I'm at it, can-I ask why the fuck does the game load the area every time you die in DS3? I mean it should just be a reset of the area, nothing more than resting at the bonfire. So why the hell there are loading? The developer who did this should be fired, seriously. This is a beginner mistake.

Whew. The trash play styles are out so strong today that I had to eject the disc. It's been like this all week. Fuck this. Going back to DS2 for awhile.

What do you mean?

Tarkus

What do you mean?
Every cheap tryhard method people do. Greatshield backstab, flame surge, parry spam with Hornet Ring, switch to dagger for riposte, constantly running with katanas, Carthus Cancer Sword, Carthus rouge on Warden blades- bleed twice in 4 hits...all of that. I had one decent duel in 2 hours.

I'm surprised at how panicked people get when you proc poison on them. I've been using Caestus with Rotten pine, which procs with one full L1 combo and as soon as it does they start running around swinging like crazy.

I could understand in DS2 where poison did massive damage, but here it's basically 4 damage per second. On a side note, I'm hoping we get toxic damage weapons in the DLC. I liked Mytha's Bent Blades in DS2.

Soulhouf

Every cheap tryhard method people do. Greatshield backstab, flame surge, parry spam with Hornet Ring, switch to dagger for riposte, constantly running with katanas, Carthus Cancer Sword, Carthus rouge on Warden blades- bleed twice in 4 hits...all of that. I had one decent duel in 2 hours.

I don't do duels outside of people I know (and the gaf fight club) so I have no idea what are the current shit people are doing right now.
That's one thing I hate about these games. Once an exploit/effective method is discovered, it spread like a cholera.
That's why when I play with randoms I always stay low level to remain out of range of that BS. Even when people summon their high level friends, their HP is so nerfed that it doesn't matter.
I'm having a lot more fun like that. Destroying gankers is my favorite online play right now.

Also when things get out of control, I disable worldwide matchmaking. I have a Japanese version of the game. It's sad but I have much more decent duels when my matchmaking is limited to Japan only.

Tarkus

I don't do duels outside of people I know (and the gaf fight club) so I have no idea what are the current shit people are doing right now.
This is what I'm going to start doing. Unfortunately, most of the people I play with have moved on :(

chunk3rvd

Trigger warning for Morrigan :p

I thought people were just bitching about the concord drop rate and being over dramatic. I'm so sorry for doubting you GAF :( Just listened to a 90+ minute podcast while farming and got 3 drops. 357 item discovery. Got summoned as a darkmoon twice during that time. This is going to get tedious quickly!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's one thing I hate about these games. Once an exploit/effective method is discovered, it spread like a cholera.
That's why when I play with randoms I always stay low level to remain out of range of that BS. Even when people summon their high level friends, their HP is so nerfed that it doesn't matter.
I'm having a lot more fun like that. Destroying gankers is my favorite online play right now.
Yup, right now I still stick to invasions, though I haven't played that much since they nerfed hornet + Anri's sword, which really sucks for me.

Sande

No death, no shield, no magic, no bow, all bosses on the first try. Oh yeah.
DS3 is way too easy.
After getting platinum and doing that I think I'm done until they start releasing DLC.

I thought people were just bitching about the concord drop rate and being over dramatic. I'm so sorry for doubting you GAF :( Just listened to a 90+ minute podcast while farming and got 3 drops. 357 item discovery. Got summoned as a darkmoon twice during that time. This is going to get tedious quickly!
I just played all the way to NG+14 for the 2 proofs you can loot. That's probably faster than farming (not to mention actually fun) if you do it for all covenant items simultaneously. Sadly I didn't think of it until after spending hours grinding all that swordgrass.

joe2187

Banned

Im waiting until the DLC drops, probably have a fix for covenant drops, more frequency, or more summons in the new DLC areas hopefully.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
More Thorny Fun (special compilation coming soon :p):

Part 8 - Part 9 - Part 10

More Elevator Trolling Fail: (part 4)

And the newest entries to the coward-shaming folder:
Poor Rebecca, Poor Rebecca Again, Cowardly Person (literally), and... Arya, Say It Ain't So?

Also, I guess it's a sign I'm invading too much... xD I switched to the Mound Makers just to start collecting shackles instead, because why not.

1467695481-dark-souls-tm-iii-20160624032318.png

wiibomb

I was fortunate enough to be somewhat addicted to Hearthstone some weeks ago when I farmed for these.
What I did was just wait for a covenant call while I played whatever else on my PC while my ps4 waited in another screen.

that way I got 32 proofs and I only got 2 of those from drops of the knights, which are incredibly rare with whatever discovery rate you have. I just turned back from whatever I was playing and did the covenant call, whenever I won or lose, I just went back to what I was doing, putting DS3 in idle.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Here's a video of the invisible invader I was talking about earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzgjQ8QknaE

Weird shit. He invaded us once or twice beforehand and he was always super laggy for me, teleporting all over the place, delayed hits, etc. so maybe it's related? Either that or some sort of hack, but on the PS4 that seems unlikely. He was invisible in my friend's screen as well.

Hollycat

Joined a fight club. Everyone who was waiting was goofing around, and I tried to do the same thing.... But I accidentally used my pyromancy instead of my shield. I think I hit literally everyone including the fighting duo. I was so mortified I logged out and stopped playing for the night. I hope they realized it wasn't on purpose.

wiibomb

Joined a fight club. Everyone who was waiting was goofing around, and I tried to do the same thing.... But I accidentally used my pyromancy instead of my shield. I think I hit literally everyone including the fighting duo. I was so mortified I logged out and stopped playing for the night. I hope they realized it wasn't on purpose.

I remember the last time I saw someone doing something like that in a fight club...he was pursued by all of us who where present to the end of times...

he died by everyone ganging on him.

Fight clubs are frightening.

I just get to my world when I enter one now because it doesn't help my covenant farming.

RiggyRob

Finally got back into DSIII, and we tied up a few loose ends in the High Wall of Lothric such as
the mimic and Estus Shard
: https://youtu.be/VNqq6sdD0dQ

I'm glad we found
Greirat and Yoel in the Firelink Shrine, they seem like they're going to be useful guys for us in the future. It's a shame that Greirat's friend Loretta was dead, but I figured it was best he knew the truth about her - and hey, we get to keep the ring, which is a bonus!

Also found it a bit weird that Emma had no real reaction to us talking to her after using the Small Lothric Banner - in these situations I kind of wish you had a dialogue option to go 'Yo, what the fuck was with you sending me to be carried off by demons?!'

So I started this just now :) I'm trying to remake my Dark Souls 1 & 2 character, that looks like this:
But the closest I can get is this:
And this was a good 30 mins in character creation :/ I want to use the "Mature" age level because I want her to be the same character (or thereabouts, so it makes sense that she would look aged on her third journey). You can't directly edit nose width which is kind of annoying because that seems to be one of the main differences.

Any tips?

mulac

..aaaaaaaaand we're back on Dark Souls 3 after spending the last month or so beating DS1 (loved it - 8/10) and DS2 (kinda "nothing" but still fun - 7/10).

Going to play through DS3 on PC i think next for that sweet, sweet 60FPS...PS4 version where the platinum sits can wait for the DLC.

Is it safe to play online PC version yet?

Dragnet

Okay, I've been away from the Souls game a bit (played DeS, DS1 and BB), decided to buy DS3 in the sale with a friend on PS4. Enjoying it as expected, but got a couple nooby questions.

What is Poise?

How should I be building my Assassin? Worthwhile having a shield? I need to be as light as possible for speed right?

I just cannot beat the dog boss (Vordt?) in High Wall, are there other areas I can traverse in the meantime to level up, I feel like I could always go another route in past Souls games but I'm being funneled here.

Also, I'm just not seeing nearly as many summon signs as in past games and could really do with some help, whats up with that?

Szadek

Okay, I've been away from the Souls game a bit (played DeS, DS1 and BB), decided to buy DS3 in the sale with a friend on PS4. Enjoying it as expected, but got a couple nooby questions.

What is Poise?

How should I be building my Assassin? Worthwhile having a shield? I need to be as light as possible for speed right?

I just cannot beat the dog boss (Vordt?) in High Wall, are there other areas I can traverse in the meantime to level up, I feel like I could always go another route in past Souls games but I'm being funneled here.

Also, I'm just not seeing nearly as many summon signs as in past games and could really do with some help, whats up with that?
Poise doesn't seem to do anything in DS3.

With the assassin you can either go for a pure DEX build or a DEX/INT build if you want to use spells.
You should either stay below 30% equipment load ( if you want to the best roll) or below 70%.
Unless you are really confident in your dodging abilities, shield are recommended.

There isn't another area you can go to right, except by unlocking an end game level early, but that's probably not going to help you.
DS3 is pretty linear in general.
The boss isn't too bad though, just try to get under him.

Tarkus

What is Poise?

Poise is working as intended.

If you want to farm, use your Target Shield to parry the large knights just before Vordt. You get souls and learn skills.

Soulhouf

What is Poise?

Poise only works for big weapons. Having a certain amount of poise makes you swing your Ultra Great Sword (normal attack) for example without being interrupted.
You can always do a charged attack that inherently has a super armor without poise but normal attacks pretty much require it.

Why in the love of God can't I kill the Dancer?

This should be the easiest boss fight. It's slow, telegraphed moves but I still die. Ugh

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Poise only works for big weapons. Having a certain amount of poise makes you swing your Ultra Great Sword (normal attack) for example without being interrupted.
You can always do a charged attack that inherently has a super armor without poise but normal attacks pretty much require it.
Uhhh what? Wasn't this disproven and UGS attacks have hyperarmour regardless?

wiibomb

so, yesterday either I had an incredibly good luck or then the Swordgrass is very manageable, or at least more than the proofs of a concord kept.

in about 2 hours I got my 30 swordsgrass, although in the last 40-50 minutes they became incredibly scarce, I got about 5-6 in that time, but that isn't nearly as difficult as the proofs

Tarkus

so, yesterday either I had an incredibly good luck or then the Swordgrass is very manageable, or at least more than the proofs of a concord kept.

in about 2 hours I got my 30 swordsgrass, although in the last 40-50 minutes they became incredibly scarce, I got about 5-6 in that time, but that isn't nearly as difficult as the proofs
Swordgrass has a higher drop rate. It's swordgrass>dregs>>>proofs.

Why in the love of God can't I kill the Dancer?

This should be the easiest boss fight. It's slow, telegraphed moves but I still die. Ugh

Don't feel too bad, Dancer is a boss many, many people have trouble with. She hits like a truck and has wombocombos.

..aaaaaaaaand we're back on Dark Souls 3 after spending the last month or so beating DS1 (loved it - 8/10) and DS2 (kinda "nothing" but still fun - 7/10).

Going to play through DS3 on PC i think next for that sweet, sweet 60FPS...PS4 version where the platinum sits can wait for the DLC.

DaS 1 I'd rate 9/10(connectivity & 1 FPS in blighttown stop it from being perfect).

DaS 2 base I'd say is like a 6/10. I found it lackluster and the bosses were generic. If we add in the DLC It'd be like an 8.5. The DLC on they're own is 9/10 for me, they're fantastic and really made DaS 2 more enjoyable(and caused utter rage within me, which is also ironically a plus lol).

If you're talking about the souls hack, 99% sure that was fixed a while ago. There may be a glitch/hack going around that lets a person be 100% invisible though. I've experienced and Stark got it before too. Not sure if it's just some weird glitch or someone is up to something though, not enough instances for it to be a major deal though.

I'll sign. Got a link?

Ye: https://www.change.org/p/fromsoftware-please-fix-poise-in-dark-souls-3

Sorry, I've been busy playing SMITE and watching Smallville lol.

Swordgrass has a higher drop rate. It's swordgrass>dregs>>>proofs.

Don't forget tongues. For me they were between swordgrass and dregs.

Don't feel too bad, Dancer is a boss many, many people have trouble with. She hits like a truck and has wombocombos.

It annoys me so bad that she is so slow and yet I've died over and over and over and over and over. I tried leveling up a sword with lightning and nothing, bleed and nothing.

Tarkus

DaS 1 I'd rate 9/10(connectivity & 1 FPS in blighttown stop it from being perfect).

DaS 2 base I'd say is like a 6/10. I found it lackluster and the bosses were generic. If we add in the DLC It'd be like an 8.5. The DLC on they're own is 9/10 for me, they're fantastic and really made DaS 2 more enjoyable(and caused utter rage within me, which is also ironically a plus lol).

If you're talking about the souls hack, 99% sure that was fixed a while ago. There may be a glitch/hack going around that lets a person be 100% invisible though. I've experienced and Stark got it before too. Not sure if it's just some weird glitch or someone is up to something though, not enough instances for it to be a major deal though.

Ye: https://www.change.org/p/fromsoftware-please-fix-poise-in-dark-souls-3

Sorry, I've been busy playing SMITE and watching Smallville lol.

Don't forget tongues. For me they were between swordgrass and dregs.
Signed!

I got my tongues via another method :p

DeS: 9.2

DS1: 9.4

DS2:

DS3: 9.5

BB: 9.5

Soulhouf

Here's my rankings:

All the games:
10/10

-)

None is perfect :p

The only ones I reviewed are DS2 and BB but this is how I would score these games:

Demon's Souls: 9
Dark Souls: 8.5
Dark Souls II: 8
Dark Souls III: 8.5
Bloodborne: 9.5 <- this is the first game to which I gave such a high score in the last 15 years.

2AdEPT

Yu got to be kidding right. I have logged thousands of hours of souls on PC and the only 2 hacker experiences I had were good ones, one guy I nudged offa cliff who had infinite health but died regardless in DS1, and some guy killed me in PVP in DS2 who was sonic the hedgehog and ran really fast.....like really fast....it was so cool I hardly cared that I died, it was just really fun to see the creativity. I have seen zero hackers in DS3 unfortunately.

If you play on pC there is no excuse for not having Game save manager, its recommended on steam and even FROM said themselves said that the best way to protect from hackers is to use it or something similar to back up your saves.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
None is perfect :p

The only ones I reviewed are DS2 and BB but this is how I would score these games:

Demon's Souls: 9
Dark Souls: 8.5
Dark Souls II: 8
Dark Souls III: 8.5
Bloodborne: 9.5 <- this is the first game to which I gave such a high score in the last 15 years.
Yeah all the games have their flaws but it's the overall experience that matters and so they're all 10s to me.

konjak

So I started this just now :) I'm trying to remake my Dark Souls 1 & 2 character, that looks like this:

But the closest I can get is this:

And this was a good 30 mins in character creation :/ I want to use the "Mature" age level because I want her to be the same character (or thereabouts, so it makes sense that she would look aged on her third journey). You can't directly edit nose width which is kind of annoying because that seems to be one of the main differences.

Any tips?

I was really disappointed in how incredibly rigid the character creator was even after BB also failed to be as nice as DS2. But I have to say, your DS2 character is frighteningly like one of mine.

mine.png

Szadek

In my next playthrough I'm planning on defeating all the gimmick boss fights without using the gimmick.
Already defeated Yhorm in my first playthrough by shoooting soul arrow in his face.

I'm probably going to use a STR build and I really want to use a variety of boss weapons.

Mistel

Banned
some guy killed me in PVP in DS2 who was sonic the hedgehog and ran really fast.....like really fast....it was so cool I hardly cared that I died, it was just really fun to see the creativity. I have seen zero hackers in DS3 unfortunately.
That wasn't a hacker that was just a bit of an exploit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In my next playthrough I'm planning on defeating all the gimmick boss fights without using the gimmick.
Already defeated Yhorm in my first playthrough by shoooting soul arrow in his face.

I'm probably going to use a STR build and I really want to use a variety of boss weapons.
Sorcery works great for the Ancient Wyvern. Not sure if melee is doable, seems like it'd take forever.

Top Bottom