• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Cat Party

Alllllrighty, explored the Firelink Shrine of the Abyss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=lsoflLTeHgo

So there's a
handmaiden here too, and she says we should know her purpose and (I'm assuming) refers to our Fire Keeper as 'the poor girl' - is she aware of the fact we came from the future? Is she secretly the strongest NPC in the Dark Souls 3 universe?!

Ludleth cementing his position of resident badass, by willing himself to be a Lord of Cinder and 'paint a new vision'...and yet, here we are, with the fire fading anyway. Maybe Aldrich and his vision of the Age of Deep Sea was onto something.

And at last, we can finally use Lightning Blade. Feels good, man.

You haven't seen me spend 10 minutes dying to 2/3 of them in a row.

Also, since I'm top of the page: http://m.imgur.com/gallery/r507d

She makes it look so easy.

There's an insane Easter Egg about the handmaiden.
If you never talk to her at your shrine, then talk to her in Untended Graves, and then go back to your shrine to talk to her, she has special dialogue where she says she recognizes you. That seems to prove it's the same handmaiden, and that Untended Graves exists in the past. I think the poor girl refers to Gundyr's Fire Keeper, not yours.

RiggyRob

There's an insane Easter Egg about the handmaiden.
If you never talk to her at your shrine, then talk to her in Untended Graves, and then go back to your shrine to talk to her, she has special dialogue where she says she recognizes you. That seems to prove it's the same handmaiden, and that Untended Graves exists in the past. I think the poor girl refers to Gundyr's Fire Keeper, not yours.

How on earth does someone find that out?

Also I'm a little confused as to how the Coiled Sword Fragment exists - there's the Untended Graves bonfire, which corresponds to the Cemetary of Ash bonfire, then Champion Gundyr corresponds to Iudex Gundyr, so does the Coiled Sword Fragment correspond to the Firelink Shrine bonfire? But the Firelink Shrine bonfire's coiled sword came from Iudex Gundyr.

In fact, where do coiled swords come from anyway?

RiggyRob

We tidied up a few loose ends, and gave the Eyes of a Fire Keeper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=NO9t727KhBM

There's not many things in Dark Souls that's complete and utter bullshit, but
an invisible bridge is definitely one of them. Yorshka even makes a point of asking how the hell we got there!

Yorshka's pretty cool, if only for the exposition, but now I'm curious as to who Sirris actually was if not a Darkmoon Knight.

As for the Fire Keeper & Ludleth - they really want you to link the fire, they slap on the guilt thick and heavy with the betrayal angle.

My take is that the whole problem of things that are dead coming back alive/Hollows etc. etc. is all due to the fire fading but then being linked again before it goes out. All things have an end, but everything in this universe wants you to carry on the status quo (understandable, since no-one wants to die).

At least Ludleth tells you to make your own choice, and in my opinion the Fire Keeper being able to see the vision of the world ending is better than not being able to see them - the horror is still there either way!

Also, the Abyss Shrine handmaiden isn't the super secret strong NPC of the game,she just dies and gives you another Priestess Ring. No ashes, no dialogue.

Finally - dat music. So good!

Not clicking that video. Going blind as always.

Yeah there were some spoilers in it for sure.

Must
Not
Watch

Divert thine eyes!

Kaztinka

From Soft at this point...

1b1qtk.jpg

Ferr986

Seems like these DLCs will not be very big :/

Interviewer: How many DLCs do you plan for Dark Souls 3? Compared to Artorias of the Abyss, how much volume does it have?

Miyazaki: there will be 2 DLCs. This one, and another in early 2017. If you combine both DLC1 and DLC2, the size would be approximately Artorias of the Abyss, or alternatively similar size to a DLC of a SOULS series. Or perhaps a little bigger.

From an IGN JP interview with Miyazaki. Full here

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/53xuso/ign_jp_posts_a_miyazaki_interview_of_whats_in_dlc/

laxu

Grand Archives and fuckin' sorcerer build is again completely useless while everything hits like a mountain and takes barely any damage from my sword because of not having decent stats for it. That's it, I give up on that build and just do another quality one.

SuperSah

Banned
I've yet to actually begin my game here.

A few questions though. What is the length of this? Especially for someone who has never thoroughly played a Souls game and also, how is the game in general?

laxu

I've yet to actually begin my game here.

A few questions though. What is the length of this? Especially for someone who has never thoroughly played a Souls game and also, how is the game in general?

You're looking at probably about 25-30 hours if you play like I do and try to get every item and grind some levels when needed. But since it is based a lot on repeating the same areas either to get all items, master the enemies or get souls for level ups you can spend a lot of time on it, especially if you get into the multiplayer aspect.

The game starts pretty tough for someone who has never played a Souls game. You might be stuck on the first boss for a while and the first level is pretty boring but it gets better from there. You won't get your heart pounding and such a feeling of victory after every boss from any other series.

Assassin, Knight and Pyromancer are pretty good starter builds as they start with decent gear and stats.

Just got past to the Boreal Valley and honestly I'm liking this game less and less the more I play. I really wish they hadn't tried for the pseudo-Bloodborne style combat because it just makes every encounter bland. Like 90% of my combat is me dodge-rolling into my enemies attacks then hitting their backside. Also the level design is kind of... whatever, it's relatively linear yet doesn't quite feel as organic as something like Bloodborne, particularly due to the overly generous bonfire placement. I find myself running past a lot of enemies because so many of them are just so annoying to fight, like pretty much every single enemy in the Catacombs. Just awful.

I also can't tell if I'm imagining things or if the enemy variety in this game really is lacking as much as it seems. Like, okay so I beat the Abyss Watchers, aka fast athletic dudes with large weapons. I then go into the Catacombs filled with fast athletic dudes with large weapons. Then, finally I reach the Boreal Valley and the first enemy I encounter is... a fast, athletic dude with a large weapon. I want to fight some goddamn monsters not yet another humanoid guy with a weapon.

I'm actually debating if I should keep on playing or not. I've beaten Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne (no DLC though) and this is by far the worst of those three. I have SotFS and I'm debating if I could pick that up or not.

Shengar

Psst... Glixel (Rolling Stone's online magazine for gaming) should have a Miyazaki interview up in the not-too-distant future.

Been proof-reading, and there's some pretty interesting stuff (translation job seems very solid), so keep your eyes peeled if you're interested in Souls design philosophy and past/present/future From!
Impatiently waiting for this.

Tarkus

Hmph. Vaatividya shouting out about Jake the Ashen Hollow's lore video of Velka and her relation to people in this series. I've been saying this shit for years, far longer than this guy.
Velka is the wife of Gwyn and mother of the G kids and Priscilla and Yorshka.

Ferr986

Hmph. Vaatividya shouting out about Jake the Ashen Hollow's lore video of Velka and her relation to people in this series. I've been saying this shit for years, far longer than this guy.
Velka is the wife of Gwyn and mother of the G kids and Priscilla and Yorshka.

But, but, Priscilla is the daughter of Gwynevere fucking dragons!! /j

Yesterday I went back to this to finish my DEX/FTH build. Noticed I was still wearing a Rapier and the hell I want to use that again (or any straight or curved sword).

Grabbed the dragonspear but damn it weights a lot. Also I'm not going to level up STR (aiming for something like 40 DEX / 50 FTH, now I'm at 30/40) so I dunno if it's worth.

yesterday i tried going back to Dark Souls after 250+ hours w Dark Souls III

....it was surprisingly very creaky! combat felt really really slow, all those old camera problems were back, it was kind of weird just how different it felt from DSIII

ended up making me appreciate III all the more. i think it might be my favorite entry in the series. the improvements to the formula are just incredible.

grmlin

I'm now at the point where I have to fight
the nameless king
again and I'm so scared that I'm doing PvP all the time.

I'm afraid there is no way around it though

grmlin

I always thought that this is one of the harder parts of the game, especially the second half after the old demon king.

Fuck those cursing frog things and the fire guys

RiggyRob

Explored the Dragon Barracks and Lothric Castlea little bit more.

So not only are people consumed by parasites, but
the wyverns are too. Considering dragons are revered so much, it makes you wonder just how strong these parasites are.

Pimmsy's theory that the final boss is a Mother of Parasites makes sense - there's a lot of evidence that the parasites caused the downfall of Lothric and they're linked to the Abyss/ending of fire in some way, so as she said it'd be strange if they just dropped that plot point.

If you can't face any more humanoid enemies, certainly don't drop DS3 for SotFS! :p

Yeah, DS2 was bad for that. At least in DS3 the humanoid enemies aren't all one basic template: you've got the common Undead, the Undeade with weapons, the Outrider Knights on all fours, the Undead infected with parasites etc. etc. - lots more enemy and attack variety in this which I'm glad for.

Tarkus

So not only are people consumed by parasites, but
the wyverns are too. Considering dragons are revered so much, it makes you wonder just how strong these parasites are.

Pimmsy's theory that the final boss is a Mother of Parasites makes sense - there's a lot of evidence that the parasites caused the downfall of Lothric and they're linked to the Abyss/ending of fire in some way, so as she said it'd be strange if they just dropped that plot point.
They are the embodiment of the Abyss, as Manus and Artorias both had black ooze emanating from them as well. The Pus of Man (parasite creatures) are also weak to the Wolf Knight Greatsword and Farron Greatsword, as you know, both weapons are linked to fighting the Abyss. I believe the Abyss is slowly corrupting the world of Lothric as the fire fades. Champion Gundyr never found his fire keeper and his body was corrupted by the Abyss, becoming Iudex Gundyr.

The Clerics were cognizant about this state of corruption.
Cleric Set said:
Garb worn by a cleric turned undead. Unmistakable vibrant blue robes.

It is said that the blue-robed travelers were entrusted with a duty.

They bore large covers on their backs to ensure that they would not become seedbeds for spreading darkness.

So what about the Wyverns of Lothric Castle? There's not much information about them that can be gleaned from the lore. Why do they both die when one is killed, yet their Abyss creatures stay alive?

The whole concept of the Abyss was not fleshed out very well in this game as of yet. I think Pimmsy may just be dissapointed as you continue onward.

RiggyRob

They are the embodiment of the Abyss, as Manus and Artorias both had black ooze emanating from them as well. The Pus of Man (parasite creatures) are also weak to the Wolf Knight Greatsword and Farron Greatsword, as you know, both weapons are linked to fighting the Abyss. I believe the Abyss is slowly corrupting the world of Lothric as the fire fades. Champion Gundyr never found his fire keeper and his body was corrupted by the Abyss, becoming Iudex Gundyr.

The Clerics were cognizant about this state of corruption.

So what about the Wyverns of Lothric Castle? There's not much information about them that can be gleaned from the lore. Why do they both die when one is killed, yet their Abyss creatures stay alive?

The whole concept of the Abyss was not fleshed out very well in this game as of yet. I think Pimmsy may just be dissapointed as you continue onward.

Hmm, that's a shame - maybe in the DLC then, since Artorias was DLC as well.

Mine01

So i just started this on pc and its pretty amazing but it feels like im in a fricking farm lol, I just killed that giant tree but I really hope this farm stuff goes away.

Effect

Is there anything as frustrating or acts as a road block to progress in Dark Souls 3 similarly to how Ornstein and Smough did in Dark Souls 1?

I felt the controls and camera played a big part in the frustration and rage I felt for that fight. To the point I just stop bothering and never finished the game. I notice that fight does that to a lot of people.

Or does the improved engine, controls (they are more fluid right?), etcs make it so the issues that fight has doesn't really appear in DS3? No more fighting against the controls, etc but can just focus on the boss and their timing, etc?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is there anything as frustrating or acts as a road block to progress in Dark Souls 3 similarly to how Ornstein and Smough did in Dark Souls 1?

I felt the controls and camera played a big part in the frustration and rage I felt for that fight. To the point I just stop bothering and never finished the game. I notice that fight does that to a lot of people.

Or does the improved engine, controls (they are more fluid right?), etcs make it so the issues that fight has doesn't really appear in DS3? No more fighting against the controls, etc but can just focus on the boss and their timing, etc?
One boss does have camera issues, but he's optional.

Never had major camera issues in Dark Souls 1 except maybe Capra Demon and Centipede Demon, but they aren't that bad.

Cat Party

Most people say Pontiff Sulyvahn is the closest thing to S&O in DSIII. But like you say, the controls are much more fluid in this game, so you can beat Sulyvahn by timing your rolls and attacks. It's a great fight (all the bosses from Abyss Watchers on are great bosses IMO).

I dunno what O&S were like, but my biggest roadblock was definitely the Abyss Watchers. Holy shit they were so hard for a first-time Souls player. I might have quit the game if it wasn't for a Sunbro that helped me beat that boss and move on.

Ame

Question. I've never bought a season pass and was thinking of getting it for Dark Souls III, considering I want all the planned DLC. How exactly do these things work? Do I get the DLC for free once I buy the season pass?

The season pass description says "gain access to 2 epic DLC packs at a discounted price." What does discounted mean here? Free? half off the original price? What does it all mean!

grmlin

Fuck
the nameless king.
this is such a bullshit fight I can't believe it.

I got him to maybe 5% of his health for 3 times and now he shits with the camera and rng all over me again and again.

Do I need to fight him for any platinum related stuff again after NG?

Edit: thank god I found two sourcerer that destroyed him while I dodged like a pro.

JTCx

Fuck
the nameless king.
this is such a bullshit fight I can't believe it.

I got him to maybe 5% of his health for 3 times and now he shits with the camera and rng all over me again and again.

Do I need to fight him for any platinum related stuff again after NG?

Off the top of my head, his soul unlocks the lightning storm miracle for the miracle trophy.

Top Bottom