• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Tarkus

mXjOV4C.jpg

If the circled part is the Vordt cliff, then that would make sense spatially.

It could be the tree building too though.

Stevey

I'm not sure it's the Vordt cliff as you come down steps to that boss fight, but this looks like it rises up to the cliff edge.
Although he is called Vordt of The Boreal Valley.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In his picture viewing from Irithyll, there is a tree that stands taller than the castle walls. Is there anything like that in the area just before the Vordt fight?
Hmm no, not that I know of. I can't remember such a huge tree jutting out so high anywhere, to be honest.

In this screen you do see a tall tree in the distance of the Undead Settlement, but I don't know how that'd fit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Waiiiit it has to be the pilgrim bridge! Look at my screenshot above. And imagine you are glancing up to it from below on the right side. You'd see that collapsing bridge slope, the pilgrim bridge structure, and a tall tree from the Undead Settlement in the background.

Maybe?!

grmlin

Slowly getting better at PvP, but man the lag is killing me sometimes. That delay in some summons/invasions is insane. Is this the normal behavior?

Tarkus

Slowly getting better at PvP, but man the lag is killing me sometimes. That delay in some summons/invasions is insane. Is this the normal behavior?
Depends on the country you're in and the location of the opponent mostly. Sometimes though, you just get lag no matter what. It shouldn't be a recurrent problem.

grmlin

Depends on the country you're in and the location of the opponent mostly. Sometimes though, you just get lag no matter what. It shouldn't be a recurrent problem.

Yeah, after I wrote that all my invasions went perfectly fine.

Invading the Grand Archives is pretty fun actually! Fought a blue phantom with the help of my now best friend Crystal Sage. I felt bad though, I should have sacrificed myself for his proof of concord as it's such a pain to get summoned.

sikkinixx

Man I'm so soft now. I picked this up and went in blind. Took a few solid tries to get past the first boss (I figured at first 'well I just gotta let him kill me because no way you fight the boss THIS soon') but two-handing my mace did it pretty easy.

Tried helping a few people, like I usually do, in the first area after Firelink shrine and got beat up real bad. Starting to wonder if I should have abandoned my usual Cleric class and went for the Knight due to that nice shield. Used to blocking my way to success but I do like miracles and quick rolling so I guess I'll tough it out.

Even this early I really would have preferred a number bar for the magic at least. It's kind of annoying to gauge out how much each spell uses.

So I haven't played since like May (still have to finish UK and SoC on my SL1 low upgrade run). And I have a couple of questions:

Is the Sentinel/
Darkmoon
Covenant fixed yet?
Is anything nerfed so much as to not be useful? Can I still use gold resin on the Dragonslayer Axe?

Stevey

Tarkus

I'm farming a Carthus Curved Sword on my CleriDex build. I can't believe how bad the drop rate is. I have one on all my other builds and never farmed. The drop rate must've been patched.

Edit; got it. You can't PvP duel is this game without a Carthus Curved Sword. That's how broken the system is.

grmlin

I'm farming a Carthus Curved Sword on my CleriDex build. I can't believe how bad the drop rate is. I have one on all my other builds and never farmed. The drop rate must've been patched.

Edit; got it. You can't PvP duel is this game without a Carthus Curved Sword. That's how broken the system is.

I never had to fight one yet. Never dropped for me, only got the Carthus Curved Great Sword, which is pretty amazing, too.

Tarkus

I never had to fight one yet. Never dropped for me, only got the Carthus Curved Great Sword, which is pretty amazing, too.
Once you get to SK120, the meta, you'll fight them every other duel. I have a good strategy for them if you ever need it. Hit me up when you do.

Tarkus

actual dual wield, like Gothard Twinswords
Those or Warden Twinblades. Hell you can bleed just about anything with the Twinblades. I've seen a 20 second Dancer fight with them. Other than that, all the Twin weapons are good. Onikiri and Ubadachi are nice as well as Drang Twinspears.

grmlin

I think I will not try any more invasions on weekends. Shit is ridiculous again. Always three or more guys to deal with, all at least on NG+ considering their equipment.

Using the black crystal to return into my world a lot tonight.

grmlin

BTW Tarkus, thanks again for the tip with the Hollowslayer Greatsword, I have tons of fun with it in PvP.

If I manage to get the timing right, this thing destroys other players, most of the time a 3 hit combo is enough. Even more fun is the R1 poke attack with the leo ring at the right moment.

There are some weapons that I still have problems to deal with. But the PvP of this game got me, pretty fun when it works as intended. :)

RiggyRob

Re-explored the High Wall of Lothric and then moved onto the Consumed King's Garden:

Part 65: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HXsTzjpUjM&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=66

I assume you can't actually kill the Lothric Wyvern right at the start of the game since it flies away and disappears? At least we got a Large Titanite Shard out of it.

Part 66: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyukd5ZqRK0&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=67

Pimmsy hit upon an interesting theory -
are the parasites within the Undead the beginnings/corruption of a dragon? They're not quite the failed dragons in Irithyll Dungeon, but they're kind of similar.

It seems like the parasites are originating from the Consumed King's Garden as there's so many of them, and they've somehow spread to the rest of Lothric. Plus the poison mist is a pretty tell-tale sign of corruption of some sort.

I think she's also hit the nail on the head as to what the boss of this area is going to be - it'll be interesting if she's proved right!

For real, I went on an 8-day backpacking trip and I thought about DS3 every day. The addiction was too real. I'm scared for the DLC.

._.
It's just so satisfying to binge on the game!

laxu

I've been trying a sorcerer build with a new character and it's been pretty rough. I had to pump some points into STR/DEX because there are no spells that are fast enough early on that can do good DPS against the faster, more mobile enemies.

I'm now up in Irithyll and overall experience has been that unless I can whittle enemies away from range with Great (Heavy) Soul Arrow, spells like Soul Greatsword do fuck all damage even with 30 INT and +5 Heretic staff. This game seems to have a shitload of magic resistant enemies and the casting times even with Sage Ring can be brutal.

Does it get any better?

So, If I wanted to do a lvl 1 run, what weapon, class and other stuff I should keep in mind?.

It would be my first lvl 1 run on DS, but I'm confident I can do it.

I've been trying a sorcerer build with a new character and it's been pretty rough. I had to pump some points into STR/DEX because there are no spells that are fast enough early on that can do good DPS against the faster, more mobile enemies.

I'm now up in Irithyll and overall experience has been that unless I can whittle enemies away from range with Great (Heavy) Soul Arrow, spells like Soul Greatsword do fuck all damage even with 30 INT and +5 Heretic staff. This game seems to have a shitload of magic resistant enemies and the casting times even with Sage Ring can be brutal.

Does it get any better?

Yes, at 60 INT lol

Do you have Crown of Dusk, Young Dragon Ring and the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring? All these items should boost considerably sorcery dmg.

laxu

Yes, at 60 INT lol

Do you have Crown of Dusk, Young Dragon Ring and the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring? All these items should boost considerably sorcery dmg.

I have the first two but the third one comes later afaik. I'm really not looking forward to facing Aldrich eventually, that guy probably just thinks he farted if I try magic on him.

I have the first two but the third one comes later afaik. I'm really not looking forward to facing Aldrich eventually, that guy probably just thinks he farted if I try magic on him.

The Astora Straight Sword (Raw) is quite powerful and the stat investment is minimal, otherwise the Broadsword Raw too could serve you well.

Or respec for that fight.

laxu

Got stuck at Pontiff. My spells do something like 206 damage on the fucker, when I have time to cast one that is. I'm very close to just respecing as this is no fun.

Jombie

As stated, upgrade a broadsword and infuse it with raw and buff it. You don't have to reallocate; most bosses in this game punish you severely for creating distance.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat the Abyss Watchers - this fight is incredible!

Picked up Dark Souls 3 this week and have been playing through, then came across the Abyss Watchers. God damn, this is one of the best boss fights I've played since OG Dark Souls.

Rolling and spearing worked really well, makes you feel so badass dodging them and landing a hit. First time I walked in, first phase was fairly tough, but my attrition came out, 1 Estus left. I knew that there was no way that was it - seemed a little too easy. Then Phase 2 comes in, destroys me. Took me a couple of attempts and some stupid deaths trying to save my souls, but on the 4th attempt, had about 3 Estus left. Unfortunately, my skills are inferior and I got hit a couple of times, and used up all my Estus. He has one more hit left and I kill him, and I'm at the edge of my life bar. He jumps, I mistimed my roll, but managed to pull of an R1. I die, and leap for joy when I realize he's dead too. FUCK YEAH.

The first time ever that I've killed a boss while dying myself, feelsgoodman. Anyway, just wanted to share, Dark Souls 3 is really living up to the hype!

Anyone else like this boss?

Just started my lvl 1 run, is gonna be something I'll probably regret. lol

Vordt was easy, but this is just the beginning.

You gotta do a Raw Anri right?

Raw Astora's, not raw Anri's. I don't think Anri's sword can even be infused.

Yeah, Astora's. It has very high raw damage (322 at +10) + crystal/magic weapon buff.

Probably the best weapon for magic based builds until they can only rely on spells.

6for8

So, If I wanted to do a lvl 1 run, what weapon, class and other stuff I should keep in mind?.

It would be my first lvl 1 run on DS, but I'm confident I can do it.

A long sword, dagger, slumbering ring and a grass shield are pretty sweet for a level 1. When you can make them, a fire long sword and a deep dagger.

Elite rings for a level 1 are behind dancer. Taking that path early is tough without the flasks and pyro but it is something to consider. S difficulty early then C for the rest of the game. Or B early ending with an A-.

Taking your weapons to +2 is normal as you can still be summoned by a lvl 1 with no upgrades.

Got stuck at Pontiff. My spells do something like 206 damage on the fucker, when I have time to cast one that is. I'm very close to just respecing as this is no fun.

There are a couple of bosses that you should leave your magic at home, put a grass shield on your back and start hacking but Pontiff isn't one of them.

If I recall correct, you can get the bellowing ring before that boss and it's possible to have the scholar candlestick as well. Sage ring and 2 or 3 boost rings, dusk crown and candlestick if you have it. If you find the casting too slow, attune great soul arrow instead. Less damage per cast but it is quicker and uses less mana.

For regular enemies a dagger, hidden body and slumbering ring will make you a stealth assassin.

I told my brother (this is his first time playing a Souls game), at the end of his play through to kill everyone in Firelink Shrine "just for a laugh".

Now he's told me he'll be wanting to do the DLC.

Is there anyway the main three, Andre, Keeper and Shop lady, can come back without starting again or going into NG?

I told my brother (this is his first time playing a Souls game), at the end of his play through to kill everyone in Firelink Shrine "just for a laugh".

Now he's told me he'll be wanting to do the DLC.

Is there anyway the main three, Andre, Keeper and Shop lady, can come back without starting again or going into NG?

All 3 should respawn, but Andre will refuse to upgrade your shit, unless he starts a new NG cycle o cleanse his sins on the Velka statue.

Stevey

So I started a new character in prep for the DLC, am currently at Profaned Capital.

Any idea where we will access the DLC from?
Might just keep going til the end and stop short of finishing it to be safe.

Tarkus

So I started a new character in prep for the DLC, am currently at Profaned Capital.

Any idea where we will access the DLC from?
Might just keep going til the end and stop short of finishing it to be safe.
My guess is the painting room with the silver knights at Irithyll.

Lvl 1 run:

Now on Ithryll, so far not to hard, I mean I died a lot, but that's to be expected. But the worst bosses are yet to come. Pontiff will be the first real milestone.

Really? They respawn now? Not even a pay-on-their-grave fee?

DS3 is for casuls confirmed
(j/k)
, back in mah Demon's day, dead NPCs stayed dead forever

Well, the level up waifu also respawned in Demon's Souls lol

I think is only for those 3, any other NPC stays dead, really dead. The real casul
(j/k)
thing is that you can do some dmg before they aggro, back in mah Demon's day, jumping over an NPC means he will hate you forever!

Top Bottom