• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

RiggyRob

Oceiros the Consumed King went a bit off the deep end, didn't he?

Part 67: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtXgdHan3-A&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=68

Can you actually
cut off Oceiros's tail? Seems like an obvious weak point for a dragon/man that can't fly, but maybe we couldn't pull it off due to summoning Hawkwood and reducing our damage.

We couldn't find Ocelotte at all, but he was definitely in the room since we heard a baby crying, unless he ends up dead because we killed Oceiros like Mergo in Bloodborne. I'm also very glad you don't have to go through NG+ to get the Moonlight Greatsword in this game!

Tarkus, the advice of running past the parasites in the Consumed King's Garden doesn't quite work out!

laxu

God being a sorcerer is gobsmackingly shit in this game. I've managed to get to Champion Gundyr and so far I've had to resort to dealing with many bosses using a blade.

Pontiff? Fast enough that you can barely get a spell out and it still does fuck all damage.
Aldrich? Magic resistant.
Oceiros? Magic resistant.
Gundyr? Faster than a greased lightning.

Even the stupid grave wardens in Untended Graves hit like damn trucks, taking over half my health bar while having huge poise.

God being a sorcerer is gobsmackingly shit in this game. I've managed to get to Champion Gundyr and so far I've had to resort to dealing with many bosses using a blade.

Pontiff? Fast enough that you can barely get a spell out and it still does fuck all damage.
Aldrich? Magic resistant.
Oceiros? Magic resistant.
Gundyr? Faster than a greased lightning.

Even the stupid grave wardens in Untended Graves hit like damn trucks, taking over half my health bar while having huge poise.

Yeah, Champion Gundyr was the boss that made me rebirth back to a quality build. It was infuriating trying to fight him as a sorcery/miracle user.

I will say that sorcery is great for being a Warrior of Sunlight though, since in co-op you have someone to split the aggro with. I've stopped playing single player and only hop in occasionally to help people out with boss fights now, and I use a sorcerer build. Great Heavy Soul Arrow is my nuke of choice because its damage-to-cost ratio is very good. I switch to Crystal Soul Spear when the boss gets to around 1/3rd HP (and if I have a decent amount of ashen estus left). Keep yourself below 30% equip load so you can fast roll away if you draw aggro, and you should die very rarely.

Miracles absolutly destroy bosses, once you have the gear and level. Get a talisman, use poise battle art, proceed to destroy everything in your path.

On NG+ lol

Miracles absolutly destroy bosses, once you have the gear and level. Get a talisman, use poise battle art, proceed to destroy everything in your path.

On NG+ lol

I tried. Champion Gundyr's attacks actually break through Unfaltering Prayer.

But yeah, in most situations a Sunlight Spear to the face is incredibly powerful. I was one-shotting Lothric Knights in NG+.

Tarkus

Honestly, some of the most fun I've had with the game has been with my recent low level Blessed Tarkus CleriDex build. Level 40. Not a single invader/duelist have come close to defeating me yet. I'm twinking a bit with alternating between the Swordspear and Dragonslayer Spear. Mowing through the game and haven't even cast a true miracle yet.

I tried. Champion Gundyr's attacks actually break through Unfaltering Prayer.

But yeah, in most situations a Sunlight Spear to the face is incredibly powerful. I was one-shotting Lothric Knights in NG+.

Which talisman?

Different talismans gives different amount of poise, sunlight talisman gives A LOT of poise, for example.

aab29573eb.jpg

3 playthroughs, 109 hours

now to wait for the DLC :)

First dark souls game i've 100%, I'm kinda proud

^ Fine work, skeleton!

Which talisman?

Different talismans gives different amount of poise, sunlight talisman gives A LOT of poise, for example.

Yep, I was using the Sunlight Talisman. The poise is strong but Champion is stronger. I'm pretty sure a Black Knight broke through it too, with that goddamn lunge attack.

Tarkus

Remember the days when we used to have gaf fight clubs? One of you (relaxed muscle or screaming meat) was using a miracle that was similar to the Swordspear's lightning strike buff where the bolt hit very close but did tons of damage. What was that?

^ Fine work, skeleton!

Yep, I was using the Sunlight Talisman. The poise is strong but Champion is stronger. I'm pretty sure a Black Knight broke through it too, with that goddamn lunge attack.

Weird, I think I beat all bosses with just miracles on my NG+ run without much problem.

Remember the days when we used to have gaf fight clubs? One of you (relaxed muscle or screaming meat) was using a miracle that was similar to the Swordspear's lightning strike buff where the bolt hit very close but did tons of damage. What was that?

Probably me, I think I was the only one using miracle build.

Yeah, it was lightning stake, is multihit and potentially hits like a truck. 55-60 FTH needed though lol.

Lightning storm is pretty good too.

I think is only for those 3, any other NPC stays dead, really dead. The real casul
(j/k)
thing is that you can do some dmg before they aggro, back in mah Demon's day, jumping over an NPC means he will hate you forever!
Pretty sure I once landed on Sage Freke's head and he just went "huh?" but didn't aggro instantly!
I think Freke had a three strikes and you're out attitude. He would definately give a "huh" the first couple of times but then after that he wasn't fucking around!

Not like Griggs you could run and jump on his head all day and he'd only ever give an "uh!" and Frampt, you could buff up a BKGS and smack him two handed and he'd still only yawn and lip smack!

grmlin

A sorcerer can use a shield, right? Parry his jumping attack, easy win. Or do you avoid parries, because it's cheating? (some people told me that for parrying bosses in Bloodborne)

RiggyRob

We picked up the Path of the Dragon gesture after Oceiros and defeated
Champion Gundyr

So...what exactly is
the Untended Graves?

It looks exactly like the Cemetary of Ash, just pitch black. There's similarities between them (e.g. the crystal lizards, Ashen Estus Flask/Ashen Estus Ring) but they're not exactly the same...?

Pimmsy's theory that the Untended Graves is the Cemetary of Ash in the past seems pretty solid - Champion Gundyr is Iudex Gundyr before we killed him and the reason we didn't get Iudex Gundyr's soul is because we already had Champion Gundyr's soul, which makes sense.

The fact that we just walked there is a bit weird - there's no magic barrier like Irithyll, unless there's some illusory wall shenanigans going on.

Also, is the Chaos Blade any decent in PvE? I imagine in PvP it can be a monster just because the scaling in Dex is so high.

A sorcerer can use a shield, right? Parry his jumping attack, easy win. Or do you avoid parries, because it's cheating? (some people told me that for parrying bosses in Bloodborne)

Those people were wrong.

Tarkus

Champion Gundyr

So...what exactly is
the Untended Graves?

It looks exactly like the Cemetary of Ash, just pitch black. There's similarities between them (e.g. the crystal lizards, Ashen Estus Flask/Ashen Estus Ring) but they're not exactly the same...?

Pimmsy's theory that the Untended Graves is the Cemetary of Ash in the past seems pretty solid - Champion Gundyr is Iudex Gundyr before we killed him and the reason we didn't get Iudex Gundyr's soul is because we already had Champion Gundyr's soul, which makes sense.

The fact that we just walked there is a bit weird - there's no magic barrier like Irithyll, unless there's some illusory wall shenanigans going on.

Also, is the Chaos Blade any decent in PvE? I imagine in PvP it can be a monster just because the scaling in Dex is so high.

Those people were wrong.
Time and space are warped in Lothric. As you progress through the game, certain (few) areas and backgrounds become warped. I hope this is expanded upon in the DLC.

Chaos Blade is used by a few people in PvP, but it's nothing like the Washing Pole. Havok recently considered it a "meta" weapon in his tournament. I personally think the high scaling isn't worth the self-damage. Maybe there are trick builds that take advantage of it.

Someone decided to give me 600 embers after a duel, If I get softbanned I will be very pissed. My fault, for no having the backup tool, since I barely I don't see cheaters on PC thought I was safe.

Any no news on the DS3 DLC? Seems like there has been radio silence since the trailer was shown.

No videos from the TGS, which is weird, I'm almost sure we got The Old hunters gameplay on last year TGS.

Guess Sony and From has a different approach to marketing.

Cat Party

Champion Gundyr

So...what exactly is
the Untended Graves?

Those people were wrong.

VaatiVidya (the guy who makes amazing Dark Souls lore videos) made a convincing case that Gundyr
, also a "champion," was on his own quest to the link the fire, made it through the untended graves, then came to his Firelink Shrine, but found his fire keeper dead and the flame extinguished. He was too late. That's why his world is dark.

In the world of Dark Souls, time and world are not constant, so there's no reason to expect that the time and world when you enter the consumed king's garden is the same as the time and world when you leave it.

MCD

I beat this game around last month. As my first Souls game I am in awe about everything the game throwed at me. The music (especially the music), the setting, the presentation, the world, fighting a boss right from the start. The bosses while few all made me love the combat and craved for more only for the game to end. :(

I beat DS2 afterwards and while the game offered a similar yet flawed experience, it is no DS3. Gotta appreciate the 60 fps on consoles though.

All videos I made can be found here: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/McDragon Live/videos

Only boss that made me summon help was the Nameless King. He wasn't hard just unfair how I have to fight with the awful camera in the first stage so I said fuck it and got help from badass online bros.

RiggyRob

Time and space are warped in Lothric. As you progress through the game, certain (few) areas and backgrounds become warped. I hope this is expanded upon in the DLC.

Chaos Blade is used by a few people in PvP, but it's nothing like the Washing Pole. Havok recently considered it a "meta" weapon in his tournament. I personally think the high scaling isn't worth the self-damage. Maybe there are trick builds that take advantage of it.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that was mentioned in the intro - just seems weird to be literally walking back in time to me. Your theory of the painting room in Irithyll being the DLC access spot is probably spot on by the way!

I never used the Chikage in Bloodborne, probably won't use the Chaos Blade either unless I can mitigate the self-damage with regen.

VaatiVidya (the guy who makes amazing Dark Souls lore videos) made a convincing case that Gundyr
, also a "champion," was on his own quest to the link the fire, made it through the untended graves, then came to his Firelink Shrine, but found his fire keeper dead and the flame extinguished. He was too late. That's why his world is dark.

In the world of Dark Souls, time and world are not constant, so there's no reason to expect that the time and world when you enter the consumed king's garden is the same as the time and world when you leave it.

That does make sense, but I don't see why
you'd get the Fire Keeper Soul + Robe in the real Firelink Shrine. Surely it would make more sense to find them in Untended Graves?

Also, Iudex Gundyr was locked in by a coiled sword, but we kill him - who locked him in?

Parrying is never wrong/cheating, in fact it's smart play! Any class can use any weapon as long they have the stats to wield it.

grmlin

Parrying is never wrong/cheating, in fact it's smart play! Any class can use any weapon as long they have the stats to wield it.

:)

So, if you struggle fighting Champion G. get a target shield, hold your distance and bait the jumping attack. It's reaaaally easy to parry. I'm absolute potato in parrying in this game, but Champion G. must be one of the easiest bosses of the game.

It may take some tries to get the timing right, but then it's a piece of cake.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that was mentioned in the intro - just seems weird to be literally walking back in time to me. Your theory of the painting room in Irithyll being the DLC access spot is probably spot on by the way!

I never used the Chikage in Bloodborne, probably won't use the Chaos Blade either unless I can mitigate the self-damage with regen.

That does make sense, but I don't see why
you'd get the Fire Keeper Soul + Robe in the real Firelink Shrine. Surely it would make more sense to find them in Untended Graves?

Also, Iudex Gundyr was locked in by a coiled sword, but we kill him - who locked him in?

Chikage was a fun weapon, can't say the same for the chaos blade, without the stance battle art from other katanas you lose a lot of versatility.

Gundyr, locked himself after hos defeat against you, in attempt to preserve the coil sword for the next champion in the future (also you),it is believed that this was his real task, implied in hid armor and weapon description.

I find the timing of parrying a lot harder in this game, much preferred it in Dark Souls 1

Parry is not instant unlike DS1, there are starting frames.

Ferr986

Someone decided to give me 600 embers after a duel, If I get softbanned I will be very pissed. My fault, for no having the backup tool, since I barely I don't see cheaters on PC thought I was safe.

No videos from the TGS, which is weird, I'm almost sure we got The Old hunters gameplay on last year TGS.

Guess Sony and From has a different approach to marketing.

We got full Big L first form fight at TGS yeah. Even DS2 dlc was on the showfloor at E3.

laxu

What do you think is the most difficult non-boss/mini-boss enemy in the game? Criteria being an enemy that appears more than once.

For me it's probably either the grave wardens or the Pontiff knights. Both have hard hitting, fast combos that are tricky to dodge and both are fast as hell and will pursue you quite a bit.

What do you think is the most difficult non-boss/mini-boss enemy in the game? Criteria being an enemy that appears more than once.

For me it's probably either the grave wardens or the Pontiff knights. Both have hard hitting, fast combos that are tricky to dodge and both are fast as hell and will pursue you quite a bit.

The Outrider Knights wreck my shit at least once per playthrough. They are total assholes.

Sulyvahn's Beasts and Deep Accurseds deserve an honorable mention for always giving me issues too.

Tarkus

The blue-ish Lothric Knights at the end of GA, no doubt about that. The four of them that is.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

The larger serpent-men in Archdragon Peak for me. Particularly the chain-and-axe version that keeps clipping through walls. Fuck that guy.

Andre will smith so hard and fast he resets the universe .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua0zMsDiAyg

Limit Breakers really lost his mind during that break armor video. lol

I don't know if I could choose one. Outrider knights, Lothric knights, those humanity puss men...

Cat Party

If we're talking about enemies that respawn, the Ghru that can jump on your head.

Or the Drakeblood Knights that can get summoned in Archdragon Peak.

Or how about those enemies in the Catacombs and Smoldering Lake with the crescent weapons.

Stevey

I hate the winged knights.
Also had a weird invasion last night, was in the Grand Archives, got invaded, took them like 10 minutes to approach me, then they just ran round me in circles so I killed them.

grmlin

I hate the winged knights.
Also had a weird invasion last night, was in the Grand Archives, got invaded, took them like 10 minutes to approach me, then they just ran round me in circles so I killed them.

You can use that one specific pyromancy and they'll be your best friends donating hundreds of thousands souls to you 😬

RiggyRob

Lothric Knights, easily - they're just awkward. The Pontiff Knights are rough if you get caught in the multiple spin slash but otherwise are fine.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Psst... Glixel (Rolling Stone's online magazine for gaming) should have a Miyazaki interview up in the not-too-distant future.

Been proof-reading, and there's some pretty interesting stuff (translation job seems very solid), so keep your eyes peeled if you're interested in Souls design philosophy and past/present/future From!

laxu

Lothric Knights, easily - they're just awkward. The Pontiff Knights are rough if you get caught in the multiple spin slash but otherwise are fine.

I used to have huge problems with the Lothric Knights as well as the Black Knights but once you get the hang of their attacks they're fairly easy. It's when you have to fight more than one that things get hard.

RiggyRob

Alllllrighty, explored the Firelink Shrine of the Abyss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=lsoflLTeHgo

So there's a
handmaiden here too, and she says we should know her purpose and (I'm assuming) refers to our Fire Keeper as 'the poor girl' - is she aware of the fact we came from the future? Is she secretly the strongest NPC in the Dark Souls 3 universe?!

Ludleth cementing his position of resident badass, by willing himself to be a Lord of Cinder and 'paint a new vision'...and yet, here we are, with the fire fading anyway. Maybe Aldrich and his vision of the Age of Deep Sea was onto something.

And at last, we can finally use Lightning Blade. Feels good, man.

I used to have huge problems with the Lothric Knights as well as the Black Knights but once you get the hang of their attacks they're fairly easy. It's when you have to fight more than one that things get hard.

You haven't seen me spend 10 minutes dying to 2/3 of them in a row.

Also, since I'm top of the page: http://m.imgur.com/gallery/r507d

She makes it look so easy.

grmlin

Alllllrighty, explored the Firelink Shrine of the Abyss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=lsoflLTeHgo

So there's a
handmaiden here too, and she says we should know her purpose and (I'm assuming) refers to our Fire Keeper as 'the poor girl' - is she aware of the fact we came from the future? Is she secretly the strongest NPC in the Dark Souls 3 universe?!

Ludleth cementing his position of resident badass, by willing himself to be a Lord of Cinder and 'paint a new vision'...and yet, here we are, with the fire fading anyway. Maybe Aldrich and his vision of the Age of Deep Sea was onto something.

And at last, we can finally use Lightning Blade. Feels good, man.

You haven't seen me spend 10 minutes dying to 2/3 of them in a row.

Also, since I'm top of the page: http://m.imgur.com/gallery/r507d

She makes it look so easy.

He actually is really easy to parry. The only enemy I can reliably parry in this game :D

the first time fighting that knight after the dragon in the beginning was painful, to say the least. But now they are ok to handle. The knights with the lightning greatsword better don't land a hit on you, as they hit like a truck. o_0

Top Bottom