• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Tarkus

Fuck
the nameless king.
this is such a bullshit fight I can't believe it.

I got him to maybe 5% of his health for 3 times and now he shits with the camera and rng all over me again and again.

Do I need to fight him for any platinum related stuff again after NG?
Try not locking on

Aurongel

Having a very good time replaying this again in preparation for the DLC. I made the mistake of blasting through DS1 and accidentally triggering NG+ before start Artorias of the Abyss. Ended up getting my shit absolutely WRECKED in AotA and it took me a really long time to grind through it. Even had to cheat a bit by using the super OP Artorias Greatshield .

Anyway, I'm also trying to get through the game with a Claymore build that caps out at level 50. I made it all the way up to the Dancer at SL 32 before getting trounced enough so I'm now at lvl 44ish.

Super challenging, even with the knowledge of where all the traps are, etc.

Hollycat

Question. I've never bought a season pass and was thinking of getting it for Dark Souls III, considering I want all the planned DLC. How exactly do these things work? Do I get the DLC for free once I buy the season pass?

The season pass description says "gain access to 2 epic DLC packs at a discounted price." What does discounted mean here? Free? half off the original price? What does it all mean!
Season passes mark included dlc as free afterwards. The discount is because you pay less for the season pass thAn the dlc separately.

Keinu

Fuck
the nameless king.
this is such a bullshit fight I can't believe it.

I got him to maybe 5% of his health for 3 times and now he shits with the camera and rng all over me again and again.

Do I need to fight him for any platinum related stuff again after NG?

Edit: thank god I found two sourcerer that destroyed him while I dodged like a pro.

Afraid so, need to kill him in ng++ for the ring trophy.

Effect

One boss does have camera issues, but he's optional.

Never had major camera issues in Dark Souls 1 except maybe Capra Demon and Centipede Demon, but they aren't that bad.

Most people say Pontiff Sulyvahn is the closest thing to S&O in DSIII. But like you say, the controls are much more fluid in this game, so you can beat Sulyvahn by timing your rolls and attacks. It's a great fight (all the bosses from Abyss Watchers on are great bosses IMO).

I dunno what O&S were like, but my biggest roadblock was definitely the Abyss Watchers. Holy shit they were so hard for a first-time Souls player. I might have quit the game if it wasn't for a Sunbro that helped me beat that boss and move on.

Thanks. I am hoping the controls being more responsive will make the difference. There are plenty of times in DS1 where I felt if the controls were more responsive certain encounters would have gone better or even been easier. I knew what to do and how to do it but getting the game to do what I wanted was annoying. Especially when I first played it I was coming off from playing things like Bayonetta 2 and platformers. The flip side though is that enemies should be faster as a result.

Humble Bundle still has the game on sale for another day or two I think.

grmlin

I'll drop whatever you need. Don't bother yourself fighting him in the next game if you don't want to.

Right now I don't really know what to do. I'll get the DLC and afaik it's a good idea to do it in ng. But I want to go to NG+ for the platinum, too, so I'm not sure yet if I do this with another char after I finished the platinum or I use this one for the DLC and continue with the main game later.

DESCISIONS!11

Tarkus

Right now I don't really know what to do. I'll get the DLC and afaik it's a good idea to do it in ng. But I want to go to NG+ for the platinum, too, so I'm not sure yet if I do this with another char after I finished the platinum or I use this one for the DLC and continue with the main game later.

DESCISIONS!11
I'm not a trophy chaser, but I think you need NG+2 for the platinum.

Massa

DESCISIONS!11

Just keep playing then start a new character when the DLC comes out.

Thought I'd finally try fighting S
oul
of C
inder
before the DLC came out.

A little tricky, but not too bad, I thought.
Then it regained its entire health bar back.
And killed me with an air combo that started by me being back-swiped.
That juggle combo will be a roadblock for a while, I feel, since I can't survive it.

oul
of C
inder
before the DLC came out.

That juggle combo will be a roadblock for a while, I feel, since I can't survive it.

I solo'd him on my first try. Not trying to brag. I didn't think I would do it, but it was mostly about being patient and not getting greedy with combos. Also be overly cautious, because the range on some of his attacks is stupid.

Trying to play this game some more with a couple friends. However, I can't seem to get multiplayer working anymore!
I've tried validating Steam cache, making sure it's allowed through Windows' Firewall, making sure UPnP is enabled, tried letting myself get invaded in the high traffic area after
Pontiff Sullivan
on another one of my characters, tried summoning people other than my friends.
Nothing works, usually the error message is "Unable to summon phantom due to time out." I thought it may have been the one night, but it still does not work a few days later.
Anyone know what to do, or have any ideas as to what else I should try?

Controller battery gave way as I was 3 hits away from winning...
I solo'd him on my first try. Not trying to brag. I didn't think I would do it, but it was mostly about being patient and not getting greedy with combos. Also be overly cautious, because the range on some of his attacks is stupid.
I'm impressed you were never caught in that combo at all! Yeah, I thought I was a safe distance away a few times, but realized that if I don't sprint away immediately, I'll get caught in it.

Controller battery gave way as I was 3 hits away from winning...I'm impressed you were never caught in that combo at all! Yeah, I thought I was a safe distance away a few times, but realized that if I don't sprint away immediately, I'll get caught in it.

Yeah, anytime he looked like he was going to do....anything. I backed off and kept going. Sometimes I blatantly ran away. XD

oul
of C
inder
before the DLC came out.

I've done lots of jolly cooperation, and that combo has killed more hosts than anything else in the game. It's brutal. Thankfully it's very telegraphed — SoC assumes a stance and pauses for a sec before launching it — so you have plenty of time to run away (seriously, just turn and sprint away).

I've done lots of jolly cooperation, and that combo has killed more hosts than anything else in the game. It's brutal. Thankfully it's very telegraphed — SoC assumes a stance and pauses for a sec before launching it — so you have plenty of time to run away (seriously, just turn and sprint away).
Yeah, now that I've seen it in action, I found it predictable. :) He seemed to do it after every leap attack, as well. Embering helped. Now he's beaten. Disappointed in myself that I ended up leveling to 35 near the end of the game, but I'm sure the DLC will make me atone.

I've noticed that as well. As I'm running away, I find that the host runs in and gets caught in the attacks. It really does pay to watch what the others do if you are unsure.
I feel the best tactic with multiple people fighting him, is to let the character he is locked onto, lead him away from the others while they attack. When he switches, the others attack. It makes the fight trivial. The problem is when for instance I'm leading SoC away while the host is attacking, he switches to the host, but the host would rather try and circle SoC, causing SoC to land his attacks on both of us.

RiggyRob

Found the Braille Divine Tome of Lothric and the Sunlight Straight Sword: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=hsC9GpLHFnA

FromSOFT's writers have been excellent at throwing shade at everyone who loves Solaire/Praise the Sun in DS1.

Tarkus has been giving us a few pointers on how this is the best straight sword in the game. Should make a worthy replacement for the Irithyll Straight Sword!

I'm glad we've finally found another tome, it's been ages since we've been able to give anything to Irina and learn new miracles.

Also, does the Altar of Sunlight being here make any sense? I know DS2 got slated for it.

Ikon

Ugh, I feel so conflicted when it comes to weapons/builds in this game. I just beat
Wolnir
and I have no idea what to go for. I'm at SL45, using the Butcher's Knife +4 and have:

Vig: 20
Att: 6
End: 20
Vit: 20
Str: 24
Dex: 16
Int: 8
Fth: 9
Lck: 11

After getting the Dark Souls platinum recently I had committed to playing DS3 with only 2 handed weapons and without locking on. Strength seemed like the logical choice at the start of the game but with Infusion I just don't know. If I'm required to play/beat NG++ I feel like I might be missing some cool options by just pumping everything into strength and using this boring weapon (even if I do like the range).

So what do you guys say: should I switch it up? Stick with the plan? Go find a better weapon (preferably better looking)?

RiggyRob

Ugh, I feel so conflicted when it comes to weapons/builds in this game. I just beat
Wolnir
and I have no idea what to go for. I'm at SL45, using the Butcher's Knife +4 and have:

After getting the Dark Souls platinum recently I had committed to playing DS3 with only 2 handed weapons and without locking on. Strength seemed like the logical choice at the start of the game but with Infusion I just don't know. If I'm required to play/beat NG++ I feel like I might be missing some cool options by just pumping everything into strength and using this boring weapon (even if I do like the range).

So what do you guys say: should I switch it up? Stick with the plan? Go find a better weapon (preferably better looking)?

From what I've heard, going equal Strength and Dexterity seems to be the 'optimal' build, and it'll give you access to a larger variety of weapons, so do that and then pick a weapon you like the moveset of.

grmlin

Any suggestions for a great PvE build? I may start working on the new char for the DLC soon in parallel and wonder what I should use this time.

I will most likely don't care for PvP much with it

Wolnir

Stop pumping point to VIT, unless you want to wear heavy armor. That said, if you want to have a good range of option of weapons to choose, going for a quality build (40/40 STR/DEX) is your best option, focusing on STR will limit your arsenal. That said, there's some cool weapons for STR path if you decide to focus on that, and infusion means you can use most weapons, even with reduced damage.

Ferr986

Well finished my DEX/FTH build. I didn't like it at first but now coming back its not that bad, better than INT. With the poise talismans you can do good shit with Sunlight Spear and the Swordspear is a fun weapon.

Dunno what ofensive spell to use other than spear though (other than Dorris with enemies weak against Bleed). Pyromancer still winning on ofensive usefulness IMO.

Also, I made Sirris live forever <3 (Just clear her quest but don't talk to her after defeating her
grandad
, she0ll be there watching for you forever even after the
Twins
).

Eggiem

Trying to play this game some more with a couple friends. However, I can't seem to get multiplayer working anymore!
I've tried validating Steam cache, making sure it's allowed through Windows' Firewall, making sure UPnP is enabled, tried letting myself get invaded in the high traffic area after
Pontiff Sullivan
on another one of my characters, tried summoning people other than my friends.
Nothing works, usually the error message is "Unable to summon phantom due to time out." I thought it may have been the one night, but it still does not work a few days later.
Anyone know what to do, or have any ideas as to what else I should try?

Same here. Pls help us!

Tarkus

I hate it that you can't buff elemental weapons. What was FROM thinking in doing this? There's literally no reason to ever infuse a main weapon with anything other than heavy, sharp, refined, or raw. Maybe if you're at 99 INT or FTH. With resin and spell buffs so cheap, there's no reason to ever infuse with an element.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I hate it that you can't buff elemental weapons. What was FROM thinking in doing this? There's literally no reason to ever infuse a main weapon with anything other than heavy, sharp, refined, or raw. Maybe if you're at 99 INT or FTH. With resin and spell buffs so cheap, there's no reason to ever infuse with an element.
does tumble buffing no longer work? nm you're saying something else.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I am experiencing a horrible bug in the menus.

When I launch the game it starts with a seizure-inducing flickering. Even though I have a 1680x1050 monitor, it's trying to force 2376x1485 resolution in the menu. I've tried changing the resolution, changing from fullscreen to windowed, and setting height and width in Steam launch options to no avail. Nothing seems to work.

Problem has started for no reason and I don't know how to fix it. I checked my monitor's refresh rate and it's at the suggested 60Hz.

What the heck do I do?

Aurongel

Just beat the Twin Princes solo at SL40. I forgot how incredibly hype that fight is, my legs are still all tensed up.

I've been playing Dark Souls for a very long time and nothing comes close to the satisfaction of beating bosses in a lowish soul level run.

I miss being summoned into other worlds though :(

The PC community is either totally dead or my +10 weapon and low level has me not matching with anyone. I can't even see summon signs and I've been embered for 70% of the game now.

Just beat the Twin Princes solo at SL40. I forgot how incredibly hype that fight is, my legs are still all tensed up.

I've been playing Dark Souls for a very long time and nothing comes close to the satisfaction of beating bosses in a lowish soul level run.

I miss being summoned into other worlds though :(

The PC community is either totally dead or my +10 weapon and low level has me not matching with anyone. I can't even see summon signs and I've been embered for 70% of the game now.
The weapon's the problem. I'm in the same situation at level 35. The only way I can get any kind of interaction with others is as an Aldrich Faithful. (And the occasional invasion by the Nameless King.) They really ruined co-op for me. It's worse than the Soul Memory system in DS2.

I think 20 hours of my 80 hour playtime have been me idling and waiting for something to happen.

Pixieking

Banned
I am experiencing a horrible bug in the menus.

When I launch the game it starts with a seizure-inducing flickering. Even though I have a 1680x1050 monitor, it's trying to force 2376x1485 resolution in the menu. I've tried changing the resolution, changing from fullscreen to windowed, and setting height and width in Steam launch options to no avail. Nothing seems to work.

Problem has started for no reason and I don't know how to fix it. I checked my monitor's refresh rate and it's at the suggested 60Hz.

What the heck do I do?

No idea if this will work, but you could try it... Head to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\DarkSoulsIII and there should be an xml document called GraphicsConfig. Right mouse > Edit, and check and change-if-required the resolution settings.

Might work for you, but since I don't have your problem, I don't know for sure.

The weapon's the problem. I'm in the same situation at level 35. The only way I can get any kind of interaction with others is as an Aldrich Faithful. (And the occasional invasion by the Nameless King.) They really ruined co-op for me. It's worse than the Soul Memory system in DS2.

I think 20 hours of my 80 hour playtime have been me idling and waiting for something to happen.

You're both too low level for those late areas of the game, not the weapons.

Lol, Evangelist with the kill steal.

I was glad the enemies had finally helped me! Always nice to see when invading.

And now for some more of those Classic Invasion Moments™

We were having a great fight with lots of back and forth but as soon as things really started to go my way he pulled the ultimate power move...
https://giant.gfycat.com/NippySleepyCarpenterant.webm

And on the flip-side, I really could not be happier with how this little interaction went down.
https://giant.gfycat.com/BlandAliveBagworm.webm

I meant more the fact that there's two of them, especially with the Carthus bridge at the end.

Unless a full set of the heaviest armour in the game + hyperarmour on attacks can break them out of it, if they start spinning you're pretty much dead.

Outrange them with good spacing, armor won't do shit considering how poise works on DS3, this is something only very good player may manage. Oroboro is good so that adds to the difficulty, but yeah, the result in most matches would end like that.

Top Bottom