• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Dahaka

Is asking for trades here allowed?
not daring to ask for Titanite slabs :p
Any PS4 players want to trade my +10 Hollow Uchigatana for a +10 Exile GS? SL 130.

how is the playerbase on PC?

I have two chars on PS4 but since I love DS3 so much I am thinking about starting up a PC copy for 60ps 1440p goodness.

Oh, and this question here might seem ironic (give the thread title) and downright stupid but it seems as if heavy armor is trashier than in all other Souls games so far. Am right with this notion? I mean from a passive standpoint, not involving rolling, quickstepping etc. to avoid damage at all. I still try to have as much armor below 70%, just from habit.

RiggyRob

Defeated the Dragonslayer Armour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=_X9n3ObVMkw

Interesting sneak mention of a Grand Archives area mentioned in the Blessed Weapon miracle. How much does Blessed Weapon regen health for by the way? Is it worth using for the regen effect, or just the damage boost?

Dragonslayer Armour was a cool boss (we solo'd it Tarkus!) and it's a hell of a set piece fighting it on a narrow bridge with Pilgrim Butterflies firing lasers and blood bombs(?) at you.

Is it possible to kick the Dragonslayer Armour open when it's holding its shield up? Seems a bit unfair if you can't, but then again it's going to attack you at some point so you don't have to wait too long for it to lower the shield.

Finally -
I'm a bit suspicious of what Yoel was trying to do now that it appears the flying spirits are Pilgrim Butterflies, which seem to be taking over Lothric. I know Yoel dies no matter what you do, but his intentions seem decidedly less wholesome now.

Outrange them with good spacing, armor won't do shit considering how poise works on DS3, this is something only very good player may manage. Oroboro is good so that adds to the difficulty, but yeah, the result in most matches would end like that.

That's a good point - a kiting sorcerer has probably got a good chance against them as long as they keep their distance and can get the casts out quick enough.

Is asking for trades here allowed?
not daring to ask for Titanite slabs :p
Any PS4 players want to trade my +10 Hollow Uchigatana for a +10 Exile GS? SL 130.

how is the playerbase on PC?

I have two chars on PS4 but since I love DS3 so much I am thinking about starting up a PC copy for 60ps 1440p goodness.

Oh, and this question here might seem ironic (give the thread title) and downright stupid but it seems as if heavy armor is trashier than in all other Souls games so far. Am right with this notion? I mean from a passive standpoint, not involving rolling, quickstepping etc. to avoid damage at all. I still try to have as much armor below 70%, just from habit.

Definetly there's not much point going from medium to heavy armor, unless you use a weapon that allow poise activation. (yeah, poise/hyperarmor, whatever).

It's not like we can go back to the old areas, though, because of our weapon levels. :(

I see, but the system in place is to protect new players getting owned by people with +10 weapons, which was a common problem in all the souls games.

I think the benefits are greater than the inconvenients.

I see, but the system in place is to protect new players getting owned by people with +10 weapons, which was a common problem in all the souls games.

I think the benefits are greater than the inconvenients.
It shouldn't apply if the weapon in question isn't in the player's inventory, though. Plus, they could easily scale the weapon level to that of the other player if someone is summoned in to help. As it stands, my co-op experience is significantly neutered. I'd rather take Soul Memory instead, honestly.

It shouldn't apply if the weapon in question isn't in the player's inventory, though. Plus, they could easily scale the weapon level to that of the other player if someone is summoned in to help. As it stands, my co-op experience is significantly neutered. I'd rather take Soul Memory instead, honestly.

They scale the weapon...with password on, so there.

You're co-op experience is not neutered, just level up a bit. Honestly preferring SM over this becuse you can not own people/bosses with your overleveled weapon is crazy, for the rest of the world is a much better system.

They scale the weapon...with password on, so there.

You're co-op experience is not neutered, just level up a bit. Honestly preferring SM over this becuse you can not own people/bosses with your overleveled weapon is crazy, for the rest of the world is a much better system.
They do?!? Then what the heck? It should be an option for us non-password users, then...

I don't want to "own" anyone or any boss. I just want to play. If I could get summoned to fight later bosses at my level, I would. (I feel like I'm almost at the right level where bosses aren't pushovers.)

I'll probably have to level up for the DLC, anyway. But I have no idea what level I'm supposed to be at for the rest of the bosses.

Ferr986

They do?!? Then what the heck? It should be an option for us non-password users, then...

I don't want to "own" anyone or any boss. I just want to play. If I could get summoned to fight later bosses at my level, I would. (I feel like I'm almost at the right level where bosses aren't pushovers.)

I'll probably have to level up for the DLC, anyway. But I have no idea what level I'm supposed to be at for the rest of the bosses.

35 is just to low for later bosses, that's the level of my Farron invasions character.

Also, there's not much newcomers and overall not as much people play now, so there's more activity in high levels (I'll say between 80 and 120).

People usually tend to coop later bosses more than the first ones, for what I have seen (also, at around 100 you can get both summons from NG and NG+ considering a lot of people stop at 120).

This weekend I did an NG+ run to level my DEX/FTH build from 80 to 120 and got fast summons for Pontyff, Dancer, Armor and Twins, and also saw some signs. First bosses were a wasteland though, both in signs and summons.

grmlin

That area was a bit too much "Gorgeous view ahead!" bait, wasn't it. Looked really good too obviously.

haha, yes, especially after the visually underwhelming catacombs.

Regarding the matchmaking: a system (covenants) that depends on summoning help automatically, should absolutely take all available players into account. I don't care how they manage level differences, they simply had to do this, as the system is obviously broken in its current state.

You should be able to find people at 60, at least for co—op I would recommend lvl 80 or so, there starts the first layer of metagaming

RiggyRob

Entered the Grand Archives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIfAoE9K8Mo&index=77&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5

The Gotthard Twin Swords look sweeeeeeet, we'll probably consider upgrading them up to use as an alternative to the katanas we have.

Grand Archives reminds me a lot of the Research Hall in Bloodborne, with the long verticality to it and the meandering stairs/ladders.

Lots of crystallization around here (lizards, chimes and spells), but what the hell is up with the hands coming out of the books? The wax seems to protect against the crystal spells and the hands - I wonder how the scholars figured out how it would do that.

And once more - FUCK THE KICK!

I might stream the dlc at sl1 on a blind playthrough.

I'm sure it will be fun...

That is going to be rough, especially if people can't play the DLC on the Japan store of Xbox/PSN early to help you out!

If y'all can kill the Pontiff or the Champion, you can handle the King.

On that note, I wish there was a boss rush mode or a way to refight bosses without entering NG+.

Ferr986

If y'all can kill the Pontiff or the Champion, you can handle the King.

On that note, I wish there was a boss rush mode or a way to refight bosses without entering NG+.

King is IMO the hardest of the bunch. 2 life bars, first phase camera being a friggin mess...

I would say at least you can try to beat him lol. Hardest boss for me easily.

Yep, took me a lot of tries, especially phase 1.

But remember: You come at the King, you best not miss.
The truth!
King is IMO the hardest of the bunch. 2 life bars, first phase camera being a friggin mess...

Yep, took me a lot of tries, especially phase 1.
I found him the easiest of the 3, personally, but that's just how these games work. (And I fought them all while I was at the same level.)

The camera during the first phase wasn't an issue for me, but I think that's because I never locked on. Plus, after a few times, I felt like I knew that phase inside and out. What I love about the entirety of the fight is that everything is strongly telegraphed. And with the first phase, it was easy to wait for the fire breath move and then punish him.

I felt like I could weave dodge in and out and reach a different place, mentally, while the other two had me on edge due to unpredictability or shorter reaction windows.

I feel like I'm the only one who found him reasonable. (I'm also a person who found the Capra Demon the second easiest boss in DS1.)

Oh jeez the online is still broken and now the game stopped recognizing my controller for no reason. Most frustrated I've been at Dark Souls (other than DkS1 not wanting to start up anymore if DSFix is installed)

rrrrrrrrrrrrr

EDIT: Huh, that's really odd. Online does kind of work. Well, I knew that already since I could see messages and signs. BUT, apparently I have no problem invading other people or being summoned, but no-one can enter my world, invaders or summons. IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AAAHH

Jombie

I was invaded at lvl 27 by a guy wearing NK shit. Fuck anyone that does this shit.

Reminds me of why I rarely play online.

grmlin

I was invaded at lvl 27 by a guy wearing NK shit. Fuck anyone that does this shit.

Reminds me of why I rarely play online.

When I did some invasions at a lower level (around 40 I think) I had to fight NG+(+++) players all the time. I don't know if they all were on low level runs, but they did hit SO HARD that I really think the mm is fucked sometimes.

RiggyRob

We made it through the maze of the Grand Archives and out to the rooftops of Lothric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=lGEbQRlExCY

We should probably consider raising Vitality a bit at some point, there's so much good Armour we've picked up and yet we've stuck with the Undead Legion set because it's not too heavy and still decent stat-wise - the Outrider Knight set looks pretty nice.

The body we picked up Soul Stream from was definitely making somekind of noise, sounded like snoring at first but now that I think about it Dorhys' Gnawing was making a RARGBLARGJDHFTR sound and it seems to be coming from items specifically, not sure what's up with that.

The gargoyles on the outside of the Grand Archives seem to have heads now, and I guess they just flew up from the Profaned Capital once we killed Yhorm?

Oh jeez the online is still broken and now the game stopped recognizing my controller for no reason. Most frustrated I've been at Dark Souls (other than DkS1 not wanting to start up anymore if DSFix is installed)

EDIT: Huh, that's really odd. Online does kind of work. Well, I knew that already since I could see messages and signs. BUT, apparently I have no problem invading other people or being summoned, but no-one can enter my world, invaders or summons. IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AAAHH

This might be obvious, but check if you have the password enable for matchmaking.

ENB was just having weird network issues on stream. PC

Interesting. Well, I've been having this problem for almost a week now. I wonder if it's the same problem. I hope that it fixes itself because I see nothing else I can try to do about it.

Unrelated, but a friend of mine has been having a lot of input lag in this game and only this game since he replaced his GPU. I wonder what's up with that.

Tarkus

I've invaded and been ganked 3 times tonight by Oroboro and his Crusaders! Fifteen seconds is as long as I've lasted.

I've invaded and been ganked 3 times tonight by Oroboro and his Crusaders! Fifteen seconds is as long as I've lasted.

Man, the builds that me and my friends and I were gonna do were crusaders, but then my friend found out about that "covenant" yesterday and told us and suddenly I'm no longer motivated to continue. Damn you Oroboro! Maybe this makes me kind of a hipster, though.

Unfortunately I still can't get them in my world anyway, but at least they can still summon me. They got ahead of me though because I only found out I can actually still be summoned by others yesterday and I gave up on playing with them when I found out about my network issues this past weekend. :/

My friend and I are having trouble with co-op on PC. We're using passwords and can see each other's signs almost immediately but when it comes to the actual summoning we're much less successful.

I can always see his sign and summon him, and he can always see my sign but he has not been able to summon me a single time. My friend also seems to regularly have issues summoning random white phantoms when not using a password, so I'm guessing it might be something on his end.

Update: I can't summon him anymore. We can always see the signs though.

laxu

My caster build is starting to pay off in co-op. When you have someone else to do the dodging you can do some pretty good damage on bosses. I feel you still need to get ridiculously high stats for the spells to do good damage in PvE though, especially compared to a pyromancer who can have both a quality build and pretty good spell damage.

RiggyRob

I got ganked by the King's Black Hands and the Golden Angel Knights.

Fashion Soooouls! The Golden Wing Crest Shield looks great, can't wait to try out the Onikiri and Ubadachi properly either.

I'm seeing a lot of Rule of Three here - 3 pillars of Lothric with the Knight, Scholar and Cleric Rings, 3 Black Hands for the King, and 3 golden Angel Knights at the top of the tower.

They must be hiding something good, otherwise there'd be no point them being there.

Pixieking

Banned
Any info on the required HD space/download size of the DLC? The Steam store page generically lists the entire DS3 install size of 25gb, and since I'm on a metered connection, I need to know roughly how much data to leave for it.

grmlin

Killed the last boss yesterday with the help of Yuria, that was fun :)

Not so much fun: people offering Coop help for a boss without any idea what to do then. They are really no help dying after 10 seconds...

Ferr986

Ok, Bleed build for PvE, yay or nay?

Luck build I need to do (I have done everything else) and I think I'll gonna do it this weekend, but I don't want to make a build about 1 weapon (Anri) so I was thinking on bleed weapons. I remember bleed infusions being shit though and it was all about carthus rouge.

grmlin

Yes, carthus rouge all the way. My biggest problem with the bleed build later game was, that the hardest bosses gave a shit about bleed, very high resistence.

Other than that, pretty fun.

I used bleed weapons though, as you only can take 5 buffs with you, thats not nearly enough for a PvE playthrough.

Ferr986

Yes, carthus rouge all the way. My biggest problem with the bleed build later game was, that the hardest bosses gave a shit about bleed, very high resistence.

Other than that, pretty fun.

I used bleed weapons though, as you only can take 5 buffs with you, thats not nearly enough for a PvE playthrough.

I was looking about those Warden twinblades, but yeah I'm not sure I would enjoy a build that relies on an item to be good.

grmlin

I was looking about those Warden twinblades, but yeah I'm not sure I would enjoy a build that relies on an item to be good.

Gothards are pretty good, too, I heard. But yes, I think they are better suited for PvP. I personally never wanted to play something I have to take care of with limited items.

I used the Carthus Curved Great Sword and Onikiri and Ubadachi. Both awesome. Both hollowed, with a hollowed shield and lots of points in luck. And rouge works on them too ;)

Tarkus

Wardens are good without Rouge. Carthus Curved Sword melts bosses without rouge on my quality, so I imagine a bleed build would be ridiculous. Onikiri and Ubadachi bleed fast

Ok, Bleed build for PvE, yay or nay?

Luck build I need to do (I have done everything else) and I think I'll gonna do it this weekend, but I don't want to make a build about 1 weapon (Anri) so I was thinking on bleed weapons. I remember bleed infusions being shit though and it was all about carthus rouge.

Yay, other than overleveled magic builds is probably the strongest PvE build you can think off.

Onikiri and Udabachi (something like that) are deadly, so are warden twinblades.

If you want something more risky you can try the Wolverine claws, which actual name I forgot.

Maybe all 3, you can have a pretty varied set.

Tarkus

Speaking of overlevelled magic builds, I only winning about 30-40% of duels with my battlemage at sl120. Now I'm up to SL132 and winning most. The spell buff is real at over 50 INT.

Speaking of overlevelled magic builds, I only winning about 30-40% of duels with my battlemage at sl120. Now I'm up to SL132 and winning most. The spell buff is real at over 50 INT.

I went with 55 FTH with my FTH build, totally worth it, actually I'm thinkg going to 60.

Tarkus

I went with 55 FTH with my FTH build, totally worth it, actually I'm thinkg going to 60.
I'm headed that way on my FTH build too! Doing these Bloodshades/Crusaders battles in Irithyll seems to be really good for souls. I've got about 40-50 more levels to go before DLC.

Ferr986

Wardens are good without Rouge. Carthus Curved Sword melts bosses without rouge on my quality, so I imagine a bleed build would be ridiculous. Onikiri and Ubadachi bleed fast

Yay, other than overleveled magic builds is probably the strongest PvE build you can think off.

Onikiri and Udabachi (something like that) are deadly, so are warden twinblades.

If you want something more risky you can try the Wolverine claws, which actual name I forgot.

Maybe all 3, you can have a pretty varied set.

Thanks guys. I'll start tonight. I think I'll try to farm the Warden Twinblades, but knowing my luck they won't drop lol

My dex/fth build is at 50 FTH at 120 but I really don't want to push anymore. Feels bad :(

Tarkus

Thanks guys. I'll start tonight. I think I'll try to farm the Warden Twinblades, but knowing my luck they won't drop lol

My dex/fth build is at 50 FTH at 120 but I really don't want to push anymore. Feels bad :(
Honestly, there are more people doing these 3v3 covenants than dueling now, on ps4 anyway. The target on these covenants is SL140. Don't worry about 120 anymore.

I'll drop you a Warden Twinblades later if you haven't gotten them yet. Let me know.

Top Bottom