• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Ferr986

thanks guys, pyro it is then. Anything I need to take care of statswise in int/faith and the others?

I guess the best way is to start as a knight and play a knight until soul levels allow me a decent spread of stats without making me too invulnerable.

Nah, start Pyro. As chunk3rvd said a Raw Astora Straight sword will do, it does good damage at lower levels. If you want to keep using a weapon on higher levels, you can get a Chaos infused Carthus Curved Sword or the Witch's Locks (that's a late endgame weapon though).

Go to Smoulder Lake the sooner you can, best spells are there.

Stats wise 40/40 INT and FTH is the cap desired, although there's a softer cap at 30/30 if you want to reach a lower level.

Take in mind either Vestiges o Chaos Fireball takes 2 slots and you'll have one of them equipped, so you're gonna need ATT. I roll with 30 ATT with my pyro but you can also go 24+a slot ring.

laxu

Hey thanks!

I'll try it with the mimics on my way to it and farm them then.

It's my second char and with my first one I got one at the last mimic I think and thought it always drops there :( Thats why I'm farming it now in NG+...

Yeah I also thought it was a guaranteed drop. I think I killed all the mimics for my sorcerer character so I hope that the DLC has a few mimics.

laxu

hey guys,

I'm thinking about starting a 3rd character (first is strength, second is hollow) even though I still need to get a few rings for the trophy (ng++ right now with character 1) which got tired of at the moment. :[

I'm thinking about a caster build. What ideas do you have? Should I go full pyromancer or a good mix of pyromancy and dark?

Don't go caster, talk about a pain in the ass. The pyro suggestion others have given is much better as most enemies are weak to fire.

For a pyro I'd say the Assassin class is a pretty good starter as it has some points already in INT/FTH and has a lot better starting weapon. You can get the pyromancy flame already in Undead Settlement so you can concentrate the start of the game on other stats.

grmlin

Yeah I also thought it was a guaranteed drop. I think I killed all the mimics for my sorcerer character so I hope that the DLC has a few mimics.

Got one after maybe 50 tries. Almost lost all hope.

Was summoned as a watchdog three times today and never found anyone. Good times.

RiggyRob

Defeated Prince Lothric and made our way to the Kiln of the First Flame.

So what's the deal with the Twin Princes glitching the game out? It's frozen twice now on separate sessions, never had that happen with any boss fight in DS2 or Bloodborne.

I'm a bit sad that
Ludleth just burns up when you place the last Cinders of a Lord, we should've at least given him a heads up that it was going to happen even if he had already accepted his fate.

grmlin

Can someone explain to me how some blue laser beam thing could almost kill me with one hit? I'm at 1.6k health? I was finally summoned as a blue guy and was pretty shocked tbh.

Ferr986

Can someone explain to me how some blue laser beam thing could almost kill me with one hit? I'm at 1.6k health? I was finally summoned as a blue guy and was pretty shocked tbh.

Crystal Soul Spear deals a lot of damage on INT60 and the required gear. Its easy to avoid tho.

grmlin

soul stream is the winner guys. Thanks.

I was lagging and I couldn't dodge at the right time, but I was pretty confused nevertheless as it hit like a truck :)

Edit: something else. Please recommend me a new weapon to use for the rest of NG+. I'm currently playing through Irithyl and will face the pontiff soon. Gotthard's? Another big one?

I'm on a quality build 40/40.

RiggyRob

Remember, he had linked the flame before. He knew exactly what was going to happen.

Does the linking of the flame always involve Lords of Cinder burning up though? In DS2 the 4 Great Souls was just to access the Shrine of Winter, it was taking the Throne of Want that caused the fire to be linked.

mulac

After 3 months from Platinum on PS4 i am back.

Debating whether to start a new game or move my existing character into NG+ for the DLC.

Also ended up buying DS3 and all the DLC on PC as it was cheap in the last steam sale.

What to do....

Sarcasm

After 3 months from Platinum on PS4 i am back.

Debating whether to start a new game or move my existing character into NG+ for the DLC.

Also ended up buying DS3 and all the DLC on PC as it was cheap in the last steam sale.

What to do....

I am having the same issue...

nNdz6H9.png

Some DS3 cosplay:

Artorias and Abyss Watcher
Cosplayers: http://zep-hindle . tumblr . com/ and Max Torzhkov

Yuria of Londor
Cosplayer: Jenia Mashina

Firekeeper
Cosplayer: Verisa

Abyss Watcher and Yuria of Londor
Cosplayers: Max Torzhkov and Jenia Mashina

Does the linking of the flame always involve Lords of Cinder burning up though? In DS2 the 4 Great Souls was just to access the Shrine of Winter, it was taking the Throne of Want that caused the fire to be linked.

If you kill Ludleth and then re-enter the area, you will find him dreaming of the fire burning him up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckwcmqtb2eA

Thorgal

Are dualwield weapons with dark moon blade buff still as strong?

You could kill people in one combo with it and wreck 3man gank squads .

grmlin

How are they, for example Gothards, in PvE on a quality build? They look pretty fun but I never tried them.

Ferr986

Man those cosplays are indredibly looking.

Why Darkmoon Blade? isn't it the same as Lightning Blade but with magic damage instead?

Ethelwulf

I'm about to finish the game for the first time. Currently in the
Grand Archives
. Is the Lothric Knight Sword worth infusing? Want to make sure I make the right decision before going +.

grmlin

Grand Archives
. Is the Lothric Knight Sword worth infusing? Want to make sure I make the right decision before going +.

I like it a lot refined at +10. I can look up the numbers later today if you are interested.

Ferr986

Grand Archives

Infusing a weapon with something it's almost always the way to go, and the LKS is a good straight sword.

Now, what infusion depends on your stats. If DEX only then sharp, if you have a Quality build (both DEX/AND STR somewhat equally) refined, if pyro Chaos infusion... etc

You can farm more infusing gems anyways so don't worry to infuse a weapon then switch to another one.

Thorgal

How are they, for example Gothards, in PvE on a quality build? They look pretty fun but I never tried them.

the weapons are great !
Gives you great trading and poke potential. and you can stunlock people into a full combo of them .
This guy made a build video with them : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrdfvCYohQI ( The Title of the video refers to the fact that you can kill peole in one combo )

Man those cosplays are indredibly looking.

Why Darkmoon Blade? isn't it the same as Lightning Blade but with magic damage instead?

While DMB , Crystal magic weapon and Lightning blade are considered to be in the same tier of buffed weapons , the first 2 tend to perform better then lightning blade .

The reason being that lightning resist comes from The Endurance stat and since almost everyone levels up endurance in the game eventually , you will encounter more players who are weak to magic damage rather then lightning damage .

and lastly here is Oroboro showing of the crazyness that is Sellsword twinblades :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pONPAxIOWQ

grmlin

Thanks for the video Thorgal. I don't know about the magic/dex build but I think I'll try the Gotthard swords anyway and see how they do in PvE.

Dunkelgrau

I'm playing as a sorcerer and wearing the same clothes since the beginning of the game, because I didn't found some better ones.

Now that I'm nearly finished the game, I'm asking myself if I have done something wrong. I really would like some other clothes. :(

Ferr986

While DMB , Crystal magic weapon and Lightning blade are considered to be in the same tier of buffed weapons , the first 2 tend to perform better then lightning blade .

The reason being that lightning resist comes from The Endurance stat and since almost everyone levels up endurance in the game eventually , you will encounter more players who are weak to magic damage rather then lightning damage .

ahh, thanks, didn't know that but makes sense.

Sucks that DMB is too annoying to get.

laxu

]blacky[;219386048 said:
I'm playing as a sorcerer and wearing the same clothes since the beginning of the game, because I didn't found some better ones.

Now that I'm nearly finished the game, I'm asking myself if I have done something wrong. I really would like some other clothes. :(

It's fine. The sorcerer starter set is actually pretty good. If you haven't found new ones then you need to look into various nooks and crannies harder.

RiggyRob

We made it to Archdragon Peak, and killed the Ancient Wyvern.

What a rush for a boss fight! Completely unlike anything else I've ever seen in Dark Souls or Bloodborne before, it's more of a set piece with having to navigate the arena, avoid all of the snake men and then reach the top to finish it off with a plunging attack.

I wonderiwhat the philosophy/idea behind it was, considering how much of a departure it is from other dragon bosses such as Ancient Dragon, Sinh etc.?

If you kill Ludleth and then re-enter the area, you will find him dreaming of the fire burning him up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckwcmqtb2eA

That's a really interesting idea - so if Ludleth was burned to link the fire, why is he still around? I would have thought doing that would have been a very permanent end, so to speak.

Tarkus

I'm not sure whether I would have rather fought the Ancient Wyvern straight up or have done without the stupid dev messages. They made it way too obvious. Fail on FROM Soft's part. This would have been the best area in the game had they not ruined Ancient Wyvern.

I forgot to post that I actually found a fix to my problem of not being able to summon or be invaded, though I could still enter other peoples' worlds.
All I had to do was increase my router's MTU size from 1400. 1500 worked for Dark Souls 3, but I couldn't load any webpages, so I settled on 1450, which fixed both.

Really odd problem, but there you go. Just in case anyone else has a similar issue and comes looking for a solution.

Ikon

What's considered the best weapons to 2hand for a quality build? I'm using (but not really loving) Wolf Knight's Greatsword +2 right now. I have the materials to take it to +3 but I'm really hesitant to.

I was using a Butcher's knife earlier which was decent but the look of that thing was aweful.

Progress wise I just beat
Aldrich
(doubt this would have to be spoilers, but oh well...)

Also, I'd kind of like to get to <30% weight. Is there some light armor that looks good that I could get?

Jombie

What's considered the best weapons to 2hand for a quality build? I'm using (but not really loving) Wolf Knight's Greatsword +2 right now. I have the materials to take it to +3 but I'm really hesitant to.

I was using a Butcher's knife earlier which was decent but the look of that thing was aweful.

Aldrich

Also, I'd kind of like to get to <30% weight. Is there some light armor that looks good that I could get?

I'd say Astora or profaned greatsword (though it leans more towards str and can't be infused).

grmlin

Aldrich

I have great fun with the Hollowslayer Greatsword

The best thing is the fp consumption, which is pretty decent for such a big sword. And it punishes hollows, very cool.

Cat Party

Aldrich

Black Knight Greatsword is also good. Tops out a little higher than the Wolf Knight Greatsword. Black Knight sword gets a boost against demons, Wolf Knight Sword gets a boost against "abyssal" enemies.

Aldrich

Gundyr's Halberd (or Black Knight Glaive)
Hollowslayer Greatsword
Astora Greatsword
Winged Knight Halberd (Refined path)
Exile Greatsword (or Old Wolf Curved Sword)

grmlin

Did they patch or change the Aldrich invasions? It's pretty ridiculous right now. I consider to play this part offline as they invade me all the time.

Edit: better now. Not 3 invaders on my side all the time ATM....
Edit2: I was wrong I get invaded every 2 minutes by two Aldrich guys. WTF

Tarkus

Did they patch or change the Aldrich invasions? It's pretty ridiculous right now. I consider to play this part offline as they invade me all the time.

No, there's just a shit load of people doing it now thanks to player-generated covenants.

Ikon

I'd say Astora or profaned greatsword (though it leans more towards str and can't be infused).

I have great fun with the Hollowslayer Greatsword

The best thing is the fp consumption, which is pretty decent for such a big sword. And it punishes hollows, very cool.

Black Knight Greatsword is also good. Tops out a little higher than the Wolf Knight Greatsword. Black Knight sword gets a boost against demons, Wolf Knight Sword gets a boost against "abyssal" enemies.

Gundyr's Halberd (or Black Knight Glaive)
Hollowslayer Greatsword
Astora Greatsword
Winged Knight Halberd (Refined path)
Exile Greatsword (or Old Wolf Curved Sword)
Thanks a ton guys! Going to try these out!

SkylineRKR

I love the Gundyr Halberd myself. Won me lots of Shackles too.

Awesome, never got this to work. Might look into it.

That's a really interesting idea - so if Ludleth was burned to link the fire, why is he still around? I would have thought doing that would have been a very permanent end, so to speak.

Remember the opening cinematic, how it showed the Lords of Cinder being resurrected? Ludleth is a Lord of Cinder too; his resurrection was just off screen (probably since he isn't a boss).

From the Wiki plot synopsis:

"The bell is the last hope for the Age of Fire, raising previous Lords of Cinder, heroes who have linked the flame across aeons to attempt to link the fire again. However, all but one Lord abandon their thrones rather than linking the fire again."

grmlin

I only managed to get to Anor Londo unembered. It was insane. Two Aldrichs and on top some normal invaders. This part of the game is so unbelievably unbalanced, amazing how shit like this could pass any form of QA.

I don't mind dying to an invader every now and then, but getting gank invaded is plain stupid.

Tarkus

I only managed to get to Anor Londo unembered. It was insane. Two Aldrichs and on top some normal invaders. This part of the game is so unbelievably unbalanced, amazing how shit like this could pass any form of QA.

I don't mind dying to an invader every now and then, but getting gank invaded is plain stupid.
You could have summoned help. White signs are everywhere there just for these ganks.

grmlin

You could have summoned help. White signs are everywhere there just for these ganks.

No, thats bad game design if it's possible to be ganked by 3-4 invaders playing alone over and over again. It's not guaranteed that you'll find any help.

The invasion/pvp balancing pisses me off in this game, big time. And that's because it can be much fun if it does work.

Tarkus

No, thats bad game design if it's possible to be ganked by 3-4 invaders playing alone over and over again. It's not guaranteed that you'll find any help.

The invasion/pvp balancing pisses me off in this game, big time. And that's because it can be much fun if it does work.
There's more white signs at Pontiff than duel signs now

Top Bottom