• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I'm having a graphical error, late game spoilers I guess:

So after you've beaten 3 Lords of Cinder, the sky turns red with the eclipse and all, I've beaten Dragonslayer Armour and it was fine and all, but now all of a sudden the sky is back to the yellow skybox without the eclipse, any way to fix that :\?

MCD

No, thats bad game design if it's possible to be ganked by 3-4 invaders playing alone over and over again. It's not guaranteed that you'll find any help.

The invasion/pvp balancing pisses me off in this game, big time. And that's because it can be much fun if it does work.

Remove symbol sign or use Darkmoon or Sun emblem. I usually do that when I am fed up with invaders.

Ferr986

Immolation tinder requires more strenght than Astora Greatsword. Goodbye to using it on my pyro.

Sometimes I don't understand the stats requirements of some weapons..

Immolation tinder requires more strenght than Astora Greatsword. Goodbye to using it on my pyro.

Sometimes I don't understand the stats requirements of some weapons..

Well, is heavier than the astora greatsword. Lol

(Also it cannot cast pyro spells, you sure you wanted it for your pyro?)

laxu

In PvE, how can I tell which attacks from enemies can be parried? I understand that 2 handed attacks cannot be but it's often hard to tell which can be when some bosses swinging huge swords are no problem but then you can't seem to block some attacks from regular grunts.

RiggyRob

Explored more of Archdragon Peak (ignore the bullshit death from the second Wyvern at the end): https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=QRBCiRPBEM0

So is Archdragon Peak where the crystal lizards originate from? Cause there's definitely crystal lizards and stone lizards with the same properties there (dropping Titanite of all kinds), and the stone lizards breathe fire so I imagine they're miniature versions of the dragons.

Remember the opening cinematic, how it showed the Lords of Cinder being resurrected? Ludleth is a Lord of Cinder too; his resurrection was just off screen (probably since he isn't a boss).

From the Wiki plot synopsis:

"The bell is the last hope for the Age of Fire, raising previous Lords of Cinder, heroes who have linked the flame across aeons to attempt to link the fire again. However, all but one Lord abandon their thrones rather than linking the fire again."

Yeah, you're right - and that bell is on top of Firelink Shrine where you find the Soul of a Fire Keeper. I'm surprised there's not more lore about the bell then, considering you can't get to it in Untended Graves.

I'm not sure whether I would have rather fought the Ancient Wyvern straight up or have done without the stupid dev messages. They made it way too obvious. Fail on FROM Soft's part. This would have been the best area in the game had they not ruined Ancient Wyvern.

I appreciated it at least, more than Yhorm anyway. I've seen it suggested that Ancient Wyvern was never meant to be a boss in the first place, which makes sense to me.

grmlin

So I tried both the Gotthard's Twinswords and, as another GS, the Cathedral Knight GS.

Both pretty cool weapons, but the Hollowslayer GS is so good, hard to use the other ones.

So I tried both the Gotthard's Twinswords and, as another GS, the Cathedral Knight GS.

Both pretty cool weapons, but the Hollowslayer GS is so good, hard to use the other ones.

The GottaTryHard's Twinswords are really good if you pair them with leo ring, the rolling L1 is deadly.

Also the hollowslayer is great against this weapon in PvP. If you ever feel like doing some.

God damn you, FromSoftware.

This weekend I finally got around to starting The Witcher 3. It's by all means a great RPG so far - vibrant world, beautiful graphics, good side quests, good voice acting, cool setting (I read most of the books so it's even better when you know the backstory) - and I'm super excited to finally be playing it... BUT, the combat is just pitiful compared to Dark Souls 3. It feels weightless. It feels trivial. The stress of a challenging fight is only present on particularly tough mobs, and even then it's still nothing in comparison to fighting my first Lothric Knight. It goes without saying that it's light years away from being able to replicate the sheer adrenaline rush of fighting a Souls boss.

It's insane how unsatisfying other RPGs' combat systems are, once you've been introduced to the Souls games.

laxu

This weekend I finally got around to starting The Witcher 3. It's by all means a great RPG so far - vibrant world, beautiful graphics, good side quests, good voice acting, cool setting (I read most of the books so it's even better when you know the backstory) - and I'm super excited to finally be playing it... BUT, the combat is just pitiful compared to Dark Souls 3. It feels weightless. It feels trivial. The stress of a challenging fight is only present on particularly tough mobs, and even then it's still nothing in comparison to fighting my first Lothric Knight. It goes without saying that it's light years away from being able to replicate the sheer adrenaline rush of fighting a Souls boss.

It's insane how unsatisfying other RPGs' combat systems are, once you've been introduced to the Souls games.

There is a mod that makes stamina matter more and it makes the W3 combat a bit more interesting. That said I do agree with you. It's not that W3 combat is bad or anything, it's just nowhere near as good as Souls games that are built around the combat mechanic rather than it being just one aspect of the game.

grmlin

I'm a fairly old guy and I prefer the linearity of something like DS or BB sooooo much. I can't play these open world monstrosities. I did not finish a single one of them I think, and I played many open world games.

RiggyRob

Havel is such a fucking pain to deal with. Multiple guard breaks and ripostes, yet he can still 2HKO me.

There was that thread on GAF a while back about how the Witcher 3's combat improves once you unlock the chain attack/spin. I did find it a little easy beating the Gryphon, which is supposed to be your first boss in the game, but it has an entirely different style of fighting to be fair.

Waiting for the PvP trailer to drop. I played the PvP in this game much less than the other two and i hope this brings me back to it. I personally loved DS2 arena for it's conviniance. I hope this one is done right and doesn't die like it did in part 1.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I read posts like this and they never make sense. Its false on so many levels its like you never even played it.
....What? Please list the so many levels on which it is false, I'm dying of curiosity.

- Invaders have less health
- Invaders have half the Estus
- Invasions prioritize hosts with phantoms, sometimes you get 4v1 matchups!
- Hosts can use Seed of a Giant Tree to turn enemies against invaders (and some enemies, like the Wardens, can damage invaders even without it)
- Invaders are still vulnerable to traps like fire, spikes, lava etc.
- Hosts can just rush to the boss fog gate (and are invincible during the fog-crossing animation)
- Hosts can get help from Darkmoons and Sentinels
- Hosts can summon overpowered phantoms via password

Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoyed invading and even posted a bunch of my most memorable invasion videos here, but it's precisely because triumphing over such odds is so satisfying that I enjoy it.

Widge

Booted this up for the first time!

Firstly - in "my rig" updates - I was greatly pleased to go to the Nvidia panel, press optimise, it default to everything on max AND superscale it to a massive resolution. I actually said "wow" the first time I burst into the light.

Secondly, this is the first Souls game I will be playing without knowing a whole host of information up front. Usually I have haunted the threads for ages just being part of the experience.

Anyway, I trotted into this all "I'm a Souls veteran la la la", I got my starter build (Warrior, although I've swapped to Sorcerer - who I'll give a bit of a strength buff to make him a battlemage-y type) and exited. I went up the hill with the huge footprints, all careful, approached the foe from behind, ready to dispense my years learned skills upon it. I got sat on and died.

Anyway, I trotted into this all "I'm a Souls veteran la la la", I got my starter build (Warrior, although I've swapped to Sorcerer - who I'll give a bit of a strength buff to make him a battlemage-y type) and exited. I went up the hill with the huge footprints, all careful, approached the foe from behind, ready to dispense my years learned skills upon it. I got sat on and died.
Wrong thread? You're playing DS2, not 3 ;)

Stevey

Yeah that's the start of DS2 which reminds me I never finished the DLC for that. Hope SOTFS has cloud saves on STEAM.

Got my current play through to the second final boss in DS3 so I'm ready for the DLC now.

Grinchy

Banned
I owe this game an apology. I started it with a STR/FTH build. I didn't like it at all and was very ready to tell people why the Dark Souls franchise had died to Bloodborne's superior combat.

I re-started the game with a DEX build with some pyro on the side just so I can light my sword on fire. I've loved it ever since. I've played the whole game at under 30% equip load and I'm in the dungeons.

It's such a "glass cannon" character and it's so satisfying to use. I now appreciate the areas and enemies so much more.

Dahaka

Pyro's pretty fun. Just grab Astoria Straight Sword from the High Wall, infuse it with Raw then make a beeline for Smouldering Lake/Demon Ruins to get all the best pyro gear

Full pyro. Once you get Vestiges/Chaos Orb it's game over in PvE.
Also, some dark spells are just pyromancies too like Black Orb/Flame or Black Serpent.

Thanks again, guys. I created the pyro and played like a maniac since then. I have all tomes, scrolls, just lacking a few special spells (the one from Archdragon for instance and Darkmoon Blade).

Now about weapon gear. I have the pyromancer flame +10, court sorcerer staff +9, witch ring/swamp, sage.
Weapons: Lothric Knight Lightning Infused +10, +10 Chaos Longsword and a +10 Dark Astora Greatsword.

So far these are the best weapons with minimal investment. Kinda regret going lightning with the Lothric, should have gone dark and now need to farm Dark Gems.
Any other low investment weapon viable? Have Murakumo, Carthus Greatsword but they require quite a few more points.

Does the pyromancy flame influence right hand weapons other than with Carthus Flame Arc?

laxu

I really hope they add the ability to buy the infusion gems in the DLCs. It's ridiculous that they are so limited or have to be farmed. I wish the system was more like Bloodborne's where you could just change the gems as you please, maybe with a money cost. I mean Andre is hammering all day, he won't mind some extra work... :)

chunk3rvd

Looking to do a bloodshade character but I could do with transferring some items to the character to speed up the process. Could anyone on PS4 help me with that in a few hours? Think I'll be on from around 10:30 till 01:30 UK time (so about 5:30 to 8:30 EST)?

RiggyRob

We tied up a couple of loose ends - Hawkwood with the Twinkling Dragon Torso Stone and Siegward 'trapped' in Irithyll Dungeon.

The door was open, Siegward - you could have left at any time. At least we got a Titanite Slab from him, which made the tracking back worth it.

Hawkwood was a punk too, he stood absolutely no chance against us - he didn't even do the transformation into a dragon!

And finally - we got a glimpse of the King of the Storm, which I had actually seen ages ago in some trailer with no context behind it, but what a fucking cool design!

I really hope they add the ability to buy the infusion gems in the DLCs. It's ridiculous that they are so limited or have to be farmed. I wish the system was more like Bloodborne's where you could just change the gems as you please, maybe with a money cost. I mean Andre is hammering all day, he won't mind some extra work... :)

Amen to that - I don't understand why they don't just have the gems available for 15,000/18,000 souls.

They always seem to have that problem and then fix it in the DLC/patch, like going from 99 storage -> 600 storage.

Why? That would be stupid and possibly game-breaking.

How would that be game breaking? I basically have infinite respecs because I have a save I refresh once I run out anyway but it's annoying to do and I lose all other progress since.

Generally I'm a PvP player and I get a character to NG+ or NG++ whatever I need to get the rings and keep him there for PvP. I probably spent hundreds of hours rushing characters in Dark Souls 1 when I wanted to try new build and I just don't have the desire to do that anymore especially when it was easy to farm respecs in DS2, 5 Per playthrough isn't enough. I just made a quality build this time around to not really bother but I would still like the option.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Because then people could just respec to have the most optimized build for each individual boss/level and it'd take away a lot of the challenge.

Just make new PvP characters for each build you wanna play like everyone does... :p

Because then people could just respec to have the most optimized build for each individual boss/level and it'd take away a lot of the challenge.

Just make new PvP characters for each build you wanna play like everyone does... :p

No way jose. Quality build it is. Locks me out of a few weapons and can't minmax like I typically do but I just don't have the desire to make multiple PvP characters anymore.

chunk3rvd

Looking to do a bloodshade character but I could do with transferring some items to the character to speed up the process. Could anyone on PS4 help me with that in a few hours? Think I'll be on from around 10:30 till 01:30 UK time (so about 5:30 to 8:30 EST)?

Sorry to bump but I'll be on for the next hour or so and if anyone could help with this I'd really appreciate it. Can give you practically any item/ring/weapon in exchange for your time if you need anything. Just drop me a PM if anyone is able to. Thanks

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I'm having a graphical error, late game spoilers I guess:

So after you've beaten 3 Lords of Cinder, the sky turns red with the eclipse and all, I've beaten Dragonslayer Armour and it was fine and all, but now all of a sudden the sky is back to the yellow skybox without the eclipse, any way to fix that :\?

No one?

Top Bottom