• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

That's quite a list of changes! I'm glad they're finally (partially?) fixing the Astora Greatsword rolling R1. We'll see if it still deals thrusting damage for no reason once the patch is out.

RiggyRob

Adjusted Onislayer timing on Onikiri and Ubadachi and reduced the effectiveness of the Gotthard Twinswords rolling attacks.

FROMSoft why you do this to me

BY2K

Membero Americo
Holy crap, are they actually fixing poise?

Also, what the FUCK at that list of fixes. Just how broken was the combat in this game?

Holy crap, are they actually fixing poise?

Also, what the FUCK at that list of fixes. Just how broken was the combat in this game?

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Poise

Just so people know, the poise system is this and was always there. The adjusments are based on this system, I'd say it won't really change significantly the actual metagame.

And, yeah, the game has a lot of weapons so adjustments are usually large. Probably outside of the meta weapons is probably the most balanced DS game. DS2 had so many bs builds...

laxu

To me it seems their code might not be that well maintainable. While it is entirely possible to make a human error and forget to include some attacks into a list of parryable attacks, a lot of the things fixed in patches seem to be things that should just be simple boolean (true/false) checks.

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Poise

Just so people know, the poise system is this and was always there. The adjusments are based on this system, I'd say it won't really change significantly the actual metagame.

And, yeah, the game has a lot of weapons so adjustments are usually large. Probably outside of the meta weapons is probably the most balanced DS game. DS2 had so many bs builds...
We don't know that. A few months ago From talked about overhauling the system and it seems from the patch note that it will be drastic.

The only thing you can do to hyper armor is just give it more or less frames. They could really just remove the poise stat in its current state and leave hyper armor.

I would guess that this update will make heavy armor viable in someone way.

We don't know that. A few months ago From talked about overhauling the system and it seems from the patch note that it will be drastic.

The only thing you can do to hyper armor is just give it more or less frames. They could really just remove the poise stat in its current state and leave hyper armor.

I would guess that this update will make heavy armor viable in someone way.

Looking at the notes, seems they are talking about how much poise defense heavy armor gives and how much poise dmg heavy weapons do. My guess is that they are gonna adjust the actual system to make it so, that you are gonna likely get staggered during hyper armor if you have light armor so heavy armor has.an adcantage over light armor when you use weapons with hyper armor frames.

So basically just adjust the current numbers, because that's how.poise works as now.

Hey guys I heard there's an upda-

• Adjusted poise values across the board. Poise is now more effective for heavier weapons and armor.

wRRkPq4.gif

laxu

Some weopon and armor spoil. I am very excited about this. The options, the possible ranks and hopefully they keep adding more arena. A souls game is actually getting a legit PvP mode.
Arena gameplay.

I really hope there are multiple arena options, including ones that are not just an arena but have some elevation to run around and obstacles for avoiding spells etc.

Ferr986

Dat frozen weapon lore description.

New pyro and faith spells seems pretty fun to use (although the pyro one is slow as fuck to cast).

So I'm guessing the
scythe-wielding boss
is going to be
Elfriede
based on the Onyx Sword and Crow Quills descriptions?

Also, seems people weren't wrong when they speculated that some of the enemies are
connected to the Undead Legion
, though seeing a connection to
Sulyvahn (not to mention the fact that he's probably a Corvian since he was born in the painting)
is surprising, no wonder he's such a bastard. And an
Abyss Dragon
? Please tell me that's foreshadowing for the second DLC.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Follower Torch description:

"Some forms of the Abyss manifest as pus within the body, treated from ancient times with fire."

Could be significant.

Tarkus

Two casters would make the team very weak unless they're very experienced.
No, it would be great at a soul level higher than 120. Maybe 140 like the new player-created covenants. Casting at 120 is a disadvantage however. Everyone can dodge through all the spells now. At this point, you have to have a weapon backup to compete.

Question: I'm about to respec and am around level 140. I'm coming off of a STR/FTH build but I found out that I don't care for magic at all in DS III. It's just not the same as in previous game. Now, I just want to wreck shit and go melee 100%.

So.. do I go quality build or pure STR? What does this choice boil down to? I'm not looking to incorporate any spell in my build. Also, any fun weapons to recommend for a fully melee build? I've been messing around with the F/UGS and Astora greatsword and such, but the first is too slow and the latter feels like it's built for magic & melee builds.

Edit: Wait..! I'm also in NG++ lol. If anyone is willing to give me advice, please keep this in consideration.

No, it would be great at a soul level higher than 120. Maybe 140 like the new player-created covenants. Casting at 120 is a disadvantage however. Everyone can dodge through all the spells now. At this point, you have to have a weapon backup to compete.

On a 3 vs 3 fight having complete awareness of your surroundings is harder so casters definetly have a chance to get hits, and a int 60 crystal soul spear hurts a lot, well most spells hurts a lot, same with pyros, at that level.

If the group is well coordinated it will be very hard for a melee based team to win.
Question: I'm about to respec and am around level 140. I'm coming off of a STR/FTH build but I found out that I don't care for magic at all in DS III. It's just not the same as in previous game. Now, I just want to wreck shit and go melee 100%.

So.. do I go quality build or pure STR? What does this choice boil down to? I'm not looking to incorporate any spell in my build. Also, any fun weapons to recommend for a fully melee build? I've been messing around with the F/UGS and Astora greatsword and such, but the first is too slow and the latter feels like it's built for magic & melee builds.

The choice boils down that the number of weapons you can use on a STR build is greatly reduced. Most weapons works better in a quality build and the number of weapons you can use is much higher, basically you have access to most of the arsenal in the game.

In terms of fun weapons, Yhorn's machete is fun, even with the limited moveset, but you need an offhand weapon or can be frustrating. Right now I'm having a lot of fun with a DEX build and a chaos blade too.

Gundyr's halberd is great to and works wonderfully on a STR build.

grmlin

Go quality or bleed, at least that's what I think.

I love the Hollowslayer GS, but Carthus Curved sword is great, too. I'm on my PvE journey through the game and don't care for the PvP meta, thats why I have both atm, quality + bleed ;)

Go quality or bleed, at least that's what I think.

I love the Hollowslayer GS, but Carthus Curved sword is great, too. I'm on my PvE journey through the game and don't care for the PvP meta, thats why I have both atm, quality + bleed ;)

I don't care for PvP meta either.. really just a PvE guy and occasionally I'll PvP. Do you have examples of this build? I googled "quality bleed" and stumbled upon this: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4eq3tg/quality_hollow_build_sl125/ I've never actually considered Hollow, I'm coincidentally at 99 hollow at the moment because I messed around lol.

The choice boils down that the number of weapons you can use on a STR build is greatly reduced. Most weapons works better in a quality build and the number of weapons you can use is much higher, basically you have access to most of the arsenal in the game.

In terms of fun weapons, Yhorn's machete is fun, even with the limited moveset, but you need an offhand weapon or can be frustrating. Right now I'm having a lot of fun with a DEX build and a chaos blade too.

Gundyr's halberd is great to and works wonderfully on a STR build.

Thanks. Right now I'm running with a +5 Chaos Blade and 45 DEX.. It doesn't nearly do as much damage in NG++ as I expected. I just kind of feel like I'm doing something wrong or not enough, despite having lots of dex and an S scaling Dex weapon. That bleed stuff I mentioned earlier seems to offer a little bonus AR to my weapons, might look into that.

grmlin

I can have a look at it tonight, but I think I'm at 40 Dex, 40 Str and 35 Luck.

You'll get an additional 5 Luck for every hollow-infused weapon and shield you equip when hollowed.

The Hollowslayer GS can't be infused, so it doesn't matter there, but I did hollow Carthus Curved sword, my shield and Anri's.

I don't care for PvP meta either.. really just a PvE guy and occasionally I'll PvP. Do you have examples of this build? I googled "quality bleed" and stumbled upon this: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4eq3tg/quality_hollow_build_sl125/ I've never actually considered Hollow, I'm coincidentally at 99 hollow at the moment because I messed around lol.

Thanks. Right now I'm running with a +5 Chaos Blade and 45 DEX.. It doesn't nearly do as much damage in NG++ as I expected. I just kind of feel like I'm doing something wrong or not enough, despite having lots of dex and an S scaling Dex weapon. That bleed stuff I mentioned earlier seems to offer a little bonus AR to my weapons, might look into that.

Go for 60 DEX, is stil not really a beast in terms of dmg, but the moveset is really good.

Ferr986

Ain't no DS2 Chaos Blade that's for sure. Weapon was nuts there.

RiggyRob

We killed the Old Demon King on the second attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRhq9qsKpHA&index=98&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5

Even being massively overleveled and using grossly overpowered weapons, bosses can still 2HKO you. Must be lonely being the king of all your brethren, in a room just full of corpses. Chaos Bed Vestiges and the Old King Great Hammer don't seem like they'd be all that useful for our Faith/Dex build either unfortunately.

Anri's reaction to us telling her about
Smouldering Lake was a bit strange - you must not tell her you've killed Horace if you pick that option, since she says she's going to the lake to investigate. I assume if Horace isn't dead, he'll kill Anri since he's hostile/Hollow
?

chunk3rvd

Can we keep anything DLC related in spoiler tags for now? I saw what I assume was an item description from something in the DLC above. I've done total blackout so far but I'd like to stay active in this thread up to the release. Thanks

Top Bottom