• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Anyone know how the player base is on PS4? I just started up a new playthrough and can't get anyone to summon me for one of the earlier fights (Vordt). I just want to level up a few times and figured helping some other folks with that boss would be an easy way, but, I decided to test things out by consuming an Ember and I couldn't find any summon signs either.

All I can think about is Arena. I've wanted this for so long. I enjoyed DS3 PvP but hated the gank squads. Being able to queue up and play all kinds of modes is gonna be so good.

Alo0oy

Banned
Anyone know how the player base is on PS4? I just started up a new playthrough and can't get anyone to summon me for one of the earlier fights (Vordt). I just want to level up a few times and figured helping some other folks with that boss would be an easy way, but, I decided to test things out by consuming an Ember and I couldn't find any summon signs either.

Don't know about low levels but at 120 almost every MP interaction is instantaneous.

If you are to overleveled for a boss you are more likely to be invisible for lower level people.

Try a boss more closer to your level.

If you are to overleveled for a boss you are more likely to be invisible for lower level people.

Try a boss more closer to your level.

I'm pretty low level...maybe too low. I kind of got to Vordt way quicker than I did the first time, so maybe I just need to level a bit before I can be summoned/summon...could that be a thing?

I'm pretty low level...maybe too low. I kind of got to Vordt way quicker than I did the first time, so maybe I just need to level a bit before I can be summoned/summon...could that be a thing?

In that case, I doubt it level is the problem. There shouldn't be enough discrepancy to make a difference.

Probably just the fact that most people that play now are doing it on high levels.

Ferr986

When I did my bleed build (couple of weeks ago) there were literally no one on the first bosses.

First coop sign I saw was for the Watchers. That one seemed still enough crowded.

But yeah coop activity is way better on high levels. Low level is just invasions right now.

What's the best starting class for a noob? Or someone that summoned their way through Demon, Dark, and Bloodborne. Knight seems to be the most common answer but I'm open to more suggestions.

Dahbomb

Warrior starting class is pretty good too but yeah Knight might be overall best for new players. It has the 100% physical absorption shield, beefy armor and great stats plus very solid all around starting weapon. Herald is not bad at all either starting out. You get an extra heal spell, you get a long ranged spear weapon, nice stats and a very solid shield too.

I personally think that for Dark Souls 3, it's best to start out learning how to roll well and learn to play faster weapons with dual wield or 2 hand. So I personally say Assassin would also be a good starting point for people who want to focus on Dexterity style builds and not rely on shields too much. You will struggle early on but you will learn the game faster and not rely on shield blocking so much (which unlike previous Souls game, in 3 you get punished a lot for relying too much on it).

Ultimately it's more about what kind of playstyle and build you want.

MCD

I picked Knight because the all around stats is awesome.

Also knights are cool.

But I suggested warrior to my other friends because they rely too much on brute strength.

Alo0oy

Banned
I prepared my 4 main builds for the DLC, time to find a short game to occupy me over the next week or so before the DLC goes live.

Ferr986

We don't. I think once we know where the DLC entry is in the game world that will give a good idea (the prevailing theory is Irithyll.

Not really, DS2 and BB had the entries on relative early areas but still were the hardest content in the game.

This will be surely the case on DS3, expect content that comes after Twins difficulty wise.

Dahaka

I prepared my 4 main builds for the DLC, time to find a short game to occupy me over the next week or so before the DLC goes live.

I think I cooped with you yesterday in Grand Archives. :D

What are your 4 builds?

I have Hollow/Dex, Quality, Pyro. Pretty standard.

Jombie

I might stream at least some of my blind playthrough with my sl1 character. Then I have an OP pyro build just for shits and giggles.

I must have a bit of a masochist on me, yesterday was another journey into ganking city, woods version.

I realized that one of the worst things for invaders is that unless you are from certain covenants, you hurt each other. That's fine but should be a way to team up with other invaders and avoid friendly damage. Is bad enough at it is, but's even more frustrating when the host con easily roll away while invaders have to avoid hitting each other, or how phantoms and hosts can smash in the same tiny area R1 without penalty and invaders can't do unless you want to kill each other.

You know I could deal with most dissavantages if they allowed to avoid friendly fire between reds.

I usually have a character 20 or below and I can find coop. What's your weapon level? It might be that.

Effect

Finally finished with the Undead Settlement. Area was a lot smaller then I originally thought. I think I have all the items from the area and the Curse Rotted Greatwood has been destroyed. Currently using a +1 Raw Astora Straight Sword and the Grass Crest Shield. I have Int/Faith at 16 and hoping to upgrade them both. I want to use magic whenever possible. I don't trust myself to be constantly in melee combat. Being able to case spells has saved my life a lot and has made some encounters a lot easier. They weren't that helpful in the Vordt or Greatwood boss fights and I tried to make it work but they made getting to them that much easier. So for the non-boss fights I think I'll keep leveling magic and then for bosses just keep buffing the sword with resin if needed.

I think I have most of the items from Road of Sacrifices as well. That black knight was a pain in the ass as were outrunning those crabs. I do wonder though if those two npcs that are at the entrance to Farron Keep respawn. Got two weapons off them after they fell chasing after me but haven't been back to that area after lighting the bonfire in that area.

I want to practice parrying though since I know there is a boss you can parry and if I can do that to make that fight easier then great.

Not afraid to say I'm using a guide for the items. Takes some of the stress away but doesn't hurt the experience of actually playing I feel. Now to decide if I want to take on the Crystal Sage boss now or explore Farron Keep which is bringing back unpleasant memories of the bottom of Blighttown. I wish I could buy titanite to keep upgrading things instead of waiting for them to drop.

Alo0oy

Banned
I think I cooped with you yesterday in Grand Archives. :D

What are your 4 builds?

I have Hollow/Dex, Quality, Pyro. Pretty standard.

I have a Sorcerer, Quality, Luck, and STR/FTH. I did summon 3 people in the Grand Archives with my Sorcerer, and I put my sign down a lot for my STR/FTH to get that build to 120 there too.

My dex build got out of hand and I leveled it to 170, I might rush the game with a new dex build, can't think of anything else to play with all the DLC hype.

RiggyRob

Finally finished with the Undead Settlement. Area was a lot smaller then I originally thought. I think I have all the items from the area and the Curse Rotted Greatwood has been destroyed. Currently using a +1 Raw Astora Straight Sword and the Grass Crest Shield. I have Int/Faith at 16 and hoping to upgrade them both. I want to use magic whenever possible. I don't trust myself to be constantly in melee combat. Being able to case spells has saved my life a lot and has made some encounters a lot easier. They weren't that helpful in the Vordt or Greatwood boss fights and I tried to make it work but they made getting to them that much easier. So for the non-boss fights I think I'll keep leveling magic and then for bosses just keep buffing the sword with resin if needed.

I think I have most of the items from Road of Sacrifices as well. That black knight was a pain in the ass as were outrunning those crabs. I do wonder though if those two npcs that are at the entrance to Farron Keep respawn. Got two weapons off them after they fell chasing after me but haven't been back to that area after lighting the bonfire in that area.

I want to practice parrying though since I know there is a boss you can parry and if I can do that to make that fight easier then great.

Not afraid to say I'm using a guide for the items. Takes some of the stress away but doesn't hurt the experience of actually playing I feel. Now to decide if I want to take on the Crystal Sage boss now or explore Farron Keep which is bringing back unpleasant memories of the bottom of Blighttown. I wish I could buy titanite to keep upgrading things instead of waiting for them to drop.

Depends on what order you did this in.

I think it's recommended to do Crystal Sage boss before Farron Keep in general, BUT if you're using an items guide you'll want to do Farron Keep first for something verrrrrrry useful in particular.

Effect

Depends on what order you did this in.

I think it's recommended to do Crystal Sage boss before Farron Keep in general, BUT if you're using an items guide you'll want to do Farron Keep first for something verrrrrrry useful in particular.

Oh I got the covenant under the boss area first. Saw that enough times in streams to remember that.

grmlin

Hi,
as I will start a new char for the DLC soon, is a pyromancer a good choice for PvE? I would love something new for my next playthrough

Any good videos or guides for a PvE pyro build you can recommend?

Thanks!

laxu

Hi,
as I will start a new char for the DLC soon, is a pyromancer a good choice for PvE? I would love something new for my next playthrough

It's a good choice though you may want to start with some other class that you can turn into a pyro. You get the Pyromancy flame in the
Undead Asylum
level so you could start with for example Herald or Assassin and get a bit better starting gear than what the Pyromancer has. Then you can concentrate on building your basic and melee stats until you can grab the flame and then start putting points in INT and FTH.

Dahaka

I started with the Pyro for my Pyro build with all the recommendations of the good guys in this thread. Used the Astora Sword RAW until I got to levels where I could comfortably spend INT/FAITH and start wrecking with spells.

Currently using Witch Ring, Great Swamp Ring, Sage Ring and Ring of Favor.

I personally think that for Dark Souls 3, it's best to start out learning how to roll well and learn to play faster weapons with dual wield or 2 hand. So I personally say Assassin would also be a good starting point for people who want to focus on Dexterity style builds and not rely on shields too much. You will struggle early on but you will learn the game faster and not rely on shield blocking so much (which unlike previous Souls game, in 3 you get punished a lot for relying too much on it).

Ultimately it's more about what kind of playstyle and build you want.

The assassin sounds like a fun challenge.

Battlefield 1 kept me busy, so I forgot about the DLC coming out! Excited to play some more ds3. Guess its a good time to do another play through as well.

Alo0oy

Banned
I was looking through the weapons list before starting my dex build, and it's absolutely miserable, I'll probably do a dark build for the (DLC Weapon spoilers)
Onyx Blade.

RiggyRob

We followed Anri's Prism Stone trail through the Demon Ruins and backtracked to the Giant archer of the Undead Settlement.

By the time we stopped the ballista in Smouldering Lake, we'd already cleared the majority of the place out! We at least picked up Sacred Flame in the lava pit of death that would clearly be impossible without the use of Flash Sweat.

We went on a bit of a meander around the world looking for Sirris, and ended up finding out that
Hawkeye Gough/his descendant just dies. Giants don't seem to be all that blessed in this universe - never a nice ending for them.

I was looking through the weapons list before starting my dex build, and it's absolutely miserable, I'll probably do a dark build for the (DLC Weapon spoilers)
Onyx Blade.

Is not as bad at it seems, the hollowslayer greatsword is still primarly a DEX weapon, chaos blade is good, twin spears is not as bad as it seems (it has a great rolling L1 like the gottatryhard swords).

I actually prefer it to the STR arsenal which is all big heavy weapons.

(Well, you can make a Dark Sword + Moaning Shield lame combo, ugh, I rather have my DEX arsenal)

tfw another dogged contender eats it

when_the_dogged_contender_eats_it_by_emlan-daev5ti.png

Source

Alo0oy

Banned
Is not as bad at it seems, the hollowslayer greatsword is still primarly a DEX weapon, chaos blade is good, twin spears is not as bad as it seems (it has a great rolling L1 like the gottatryhard swords).

I actually prefer it to the STR arsenal which is all big heavy weapons.

(Well, you can make a Dark Sword + Moaning Shield lame combo, ugh, I rather have my DEX arsenal)

The issue is that my luck build can use them, and with higher AR too (according to mugenmonkey).

It's a shame too, I've always played dex in the souls games.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm pretty sure that's not the case of the chaos blade (cannot be infused).

Yeah, but my luck build can use O&U with higher AR, and without the health penalty. Chaos Blade is kinda underpowered in this game.

Daggers need a huge buff, and Katanas need to be exclusively dex weapons, I don't know what happened to FROM with their quality fetish in this game, having a luck build and a quality build pretty much covers 90% of the weapons in the game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
How are y'all going about the DLC?

I'm right at the end of NG with my first character, just after fighting SoC.
Lvl 90 so hopefully that's not too high, although I wouldn't feel too bad about breezing through it after tackling The Old Hunters at lvl 40 or so for the first time...

Gonna be a busy run up to new years with this and Titanfall 2 dropping in the same week!

Lvl 90 so hopefully that's not too high, although I wouldn't feel too bad about breezing through it after tackling The Old Hunters at lvl 40 or so for the first time...

Gonna be a busy run up to new years with this and Titanfall 2 dropping in the same week!

My SL120 PvP Quality character is waiting he has 15 slabs and 4 respecs.

SDR-UK

Any word on how we access the DLC? I'm slowly getting back into this game and weighing out whether to tackle it on NG or a myriad of other NG+'s I have available. Suggestions?

Manu

Started a new character. Currently lvl 50 and at Irythill, took me maybe 6 hours to get here? I should be fine by Tuesday.

MCD

Level 239 with 1.5 million souls and 3 titan slabs ready.

NG++

Yeah, but my luck build can use O&U with higher AR, and without the health penalty. Chaos Blade is kinda underpowered in this game.

Daggers need a huge buff, and Katanas need to be exclusively dex weapons, I don't know what happened to FROM with their quality fetish in this game, having a luck build and a quality build pretty much covers 90% of the weapons in the game.

Well I prefer chaos blade moveset. The offer of dex weapons is lacking, but I actually prefer which weapons you can use on a 60 dex build than a 66 str build, but yeah on overall quality is much better to go if you go melee.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
My SL120 PvP Quality character is waiting he has 15 slabs and 4 respecs.

15?! o_0
I used a few slabs on katanas for some reason. Only 1 respec so far...I always end up second-guessing myself so am just sticking with DEX main for now.

Started a new character. Currently lvl 50 and at Irythill, took me maybe 6 hours to get here? I should be fine by Tuesday.

Nice work! I was tempted to start a new character, but then realised I'd rather play SFV and Overwatch in the meantime rather than burn myself out (not blessed with a lot of hours for gaming these days).

Level 239 with 1.5 million souls and 3 titan slabs ready.

NG++

Good gravy.

mulac

Starting a new character on PS4 - my main one is sitting at level 191 on NG++ so figure i want to be around SL120 for the DLC.

Here we go again!

Maybe some day I will play this on PC with Gsync...

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Starting a new character on PS4 - my main one is sitting at level 191 on NG++ so figure i want to be around SL120 for the DLC.

120 on NG?
I could be wrong, but that sounds like overkill considering The Old Hunters was recommended 60+

Top Bottom