• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

There are spoilers everywhere, Namco should just stop fucking with us and release the DLC already, are we supposed to dodge everything on the internet over the next few days AGAIN?

The way they handled the DS3 release, and now the DLC is pretty bad. I can't believe how poorly they're handling simple game distribution.

The fact it happened TWICE on Xbone is amusing.

RiggyRob

I smell payoff by MS for early access

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence.

Most likely they just repeated the mistake of releasing it early on the Xbox store, like Nintendo releasing the Pokemon demo so that it was datamined again.

Manu

1tn2nlQ.gif

Thank you Dark Souls.

Alo0oy

Banned
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence.

Most likely they just repeated the mistake of releasing it early on the Xbox store, like Nintendo releasing the Pokemon demo so that it was datamined again.

Tarkus was probably joking lol.

Manu

Yeah, I'm stoked about people finding secrets in a DLC that millions of other people purchased and can't play yet. STOKED T_T

TitusTroy

I only just realised you can crit them the other day! When they rear up before lunging at you, you can shoot them in the face with an arrow to trigger a critical opportunity

yeah I only realized that by accident when I did a strong attack while he was getting ready to lunge at me with his eating attack move...I wonder if a regular attack on the Ogre also triggers it?...and is his lunge move is the only way to trigger a critical strike?

Set password as gaf
Turn matchmaking on
Sign at boss door

I've waited over 10 minutes. I'm out.

Ok, I beat him. I'll set the password though for the future. Thanks.

Edit: Sorry about that, got caught up in the fight. Just stayed behind and under his stomach and avoided his rage charges.

Tarkus

Ok, I beat him. I'll set the password though for the future. Thanks.

Edit: Sorry about that, got caught up in the fight. Just stayed behind and under his stomach and avoided his rage charges.
Don't leave your password set or you won't be able to see summon signs

Veelk

Banned
So, I heard there were patches out since I last played the game (around launch).

One big criticism I had with the game is that I went with the Greatsword as my weapon and I regretted it because it was slow as shit, didn't really have a moveset I liked, and didn't even do that much greater damage that what I would have gotten had I used a fully upgraded and leveled up with a normal longsword.

I managed to make it through the game and all, but I had to overpower it a lot before it did the damage a sword that size should do.

Did they fix that at all here?

Dahbomb

So, I heard there were patches out since I last played the game (around launch).

One big criticism I had with the game is that I went with the Greatsword as my weapon and I regretted it because it was slow as shit, didn't really have a moveset I liked, and didn't even do that much greater damage that what I would have gotten had I used a fully upgraded and leveled up with a normal longsword.

I managed to make it through the game and all, but I had to overpower it a lot before it did the damage a sword that size should do.

They did improve Greatswords though not that much (not in this patch but a much earlier patch). They also recently changed Poise, not sure how it works but that should improve the usage of Greatswords in the game.

As far as movesets go, there are numerous Greatswords in the game (especially boss weapons) so it's not too difficult to find a Greatsword with moveset you might like.

Thorgal

DLC boss spoilers :

how are you supposed to avoid Friede's anime attack when she goes invisible ?

as far as i can tell there are no footprints or visual cue to warn you when and where she is going to attack you from ?

MCD

DLC boss spoilers :

how are you supposed to avoid Friede's anime attack when she goes invisible ?

as far as i can tell there are no footprints or visual cue to warn you when and where she is going to attack you from ?

first phase she usually gets behind you or hit a desk or something so you will hear a crack noise

Third phase watch the line of her ice attacks

Veelk

Banned
They did improve Greatswords though not that much (not in this patch but a much earlier patch). They also recently changed Poise, not sure how it works but that should improve the usage of Greatswords in the game.

As far as movesets go, there are numerous Greatswords in the game (especially boss weapons) so it's not too difficult to find a Greatsword with moveset you might like.

No, I mean THE Greatsword.

For the main game, I was married to the Greatsword itself (god, they should really give that thing a unique name), but I might ditch it for the Onyx blade. I'm really not satisfied with how my story for my character came out, so the DLC offering a chance to change it a bit is welcome.

Hollowslayer Greatsword is a great weapon, the 2 handed R1 swings are considerably fast and has hyperarmor.

Only problem is that is not a large as other greatswords.

grmlin

Hollowslayer Greatsword is a great weapon, the 2 handed R1 swings are considerably fast and has hyperarmor.

Only problem is that is not a large as other greatswords.
That and the stamina consumption is very low compared to other great weapons. And it deals extra damage to hollowed enemies (not other players though)

I think it's my favorite weapon yet.

Veelk

Banned
You know, it's funny. I decided to pop in DS3 to get reacquainted with the controls and feel of the game before the DLC drops.

From my memories of the game, I remember struggling hard a lot of the time because my Greatsword was just such a slow bastard and it never did enough damage. So I just kept grinding and leveling the damn thing however I could.

But while I remember going through a lot of grief to make it happen, I eventually did create a goddamn monster of a weapon. NG+ and a held R2 with two hands does a monsterous 1500 point damage, just cutting through enemies like you'd fully expect a Berserk weapon to do. I tried to use the Profane Greatsword and Farron Greatsword, and they feel like pea shooters in comparison.

I'm still hoping to pick up something new from the DLC, but jebus, this goddamn thing.

Edit: Heh...well, to wield the Onyx blade with any efficiency, I'd need to basically respec my character...because I'm at 150-something and I need 170K per level now. Unless someone found a REALLY good grinding spot, it looks like I'm gonna have to stick to my trusty slab of iron.

Dahbomb

No, I mean THE Greatsword.

For the main game, I was married to the Greatsword itself (god, they should really give that thing a unique name), but I might ditch it for the Onyx blade. I'm really not satisfied with how my story for my character came out, so the DLC offering a chance to change it a bit is welcome.
I beat the game with that weapon (always beat these games first with the Gutts build first time through) and I had no issues with it. It always felt superior to other Greatswords. I just put an buff on it like fire or magic if I need the damage and I always 2h wield.

Damage wasn't the issue it was speed. DS3 is a lot faster than previous games and enemies/bosses don't stand there too long on recovery. Yet your weapons still operate at the same speeds as before.

Veelk

Banned
I beat the game with that weapon (always beat these games first with the Gutts build first time through) and I had no issues with it. It always felt superior to other Greatswords. I just put an buff on it like fire or magic if I need the damage and I always 2h wield.

Damage wasn't the issue it was speed. DS3 is a lot faster than previous games and enemies/bosses don't stand there too long on recovery. Yet your weapons still operate at the same speeds as before.

Well, it was a while ago, but I remember thinking I wasn't doing the damage I was supposed to for how slow and large my weapon was and that I wasn't the only one who thought so. I never buffed mine with magic or anything, I went in raw dog.

But you're right, it was basically the speed that was the challenge. It basically made me not want to ever play a guts build again. I'd rather have something that can match the speed of enemies than have to hope for these small openings.

Tarkus

Well, it was a while ago, but I remember thinking I wasn't doing the damage I was supposed to for how slow and large my weapon was and that I wasn't the only one who thought so. I never buffed mine with magic or anything, I went in raw dog.

But you're right, it was basically the speed that was the challenge. It basically made. Me. Not want to ever play a guts build again. I'd rather have something that can match the speed of enemies than have to hope for these small openings.
Yeah, it's not just you. It's probably the least useful ultra greatsword in the game. It's definitely the least used in PvP.

Veelk

Banned
I don't play PvP anyway, but shit like the Nameless King with the greatsword was hard as balls.

It did make the slower bosses like Deacons of the Deep fight pretty fun though.

From what I've seen, the DLC final boss is going to give me all sorts of trouble
with her speed.

I don't play PvP anyway, but shit like the Nameless King with the greatsword was hard as balls.

It did make the otherwise kinda boring Deacons of the Deep fight pretty fun though.

From what I've seen, the DLC final boss is going to give me all sorts of trouble
with her speed.

That's why you have hyperarmor, the whole point of these weapons is to hit harder that they do. Get a good armor, ring of steel protection, buff that shit and prepare to spank people ass.

Yeah, you still have to take care of grab attacks and so, but my Fume UGS run was one of the easiet one.

And they aren't that bad on PvP, at least I'm very bad against them.

Tarkus

Lothric Greatsword is my absolute favorite weapon in PvP. Just takes some getting used and exploitation of hyperarmor.

Veelk

Banned
That's why you have hyperarmor, the whole point of these weapons is to hit harder that they do. Get a good armor, ring of steel protection, buff that shit and prepare to spank people ass.

Yeah, you still have to take care of grab attacks and so, but my Fume UGS run was one of the easiet one.

And they aren't that bad on PvP, at least I'm very bad against them.

I have no idea what hyper armor is. I don't remember it being a thing when I played DS3.

Top Bottom