• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Tarkus

Apparently the pre-load downloaded last night at 7:34 PM EST for me. I can't access until 5 more hours it tells me.

I got a notification on PS4 that it's ready to use, but the new NPC isn't in the
Cathedral

/scratching head.

edit - Weird, now he's here - he just wouldn't load in if I had used the closest bonfire, had to walk there from another one. /still scratching head.

I have the season pass and could find the trigger, are you sure you got the download?

Edit: I reloaded the area, got back to Firelink Shrine and then get back to the trigger bonfire area. NPC showed up.

So far so good, I'm really liking the area. Some really tough enemies there, on NG++. Already saw a few places I can't reach and I'm scratching my head how to get them.

DemWalls

Oh yeah,
getting mobbed by like a dozen wolves as soon as I exit the cavern and leave the bonfire.

This DLC is off to a great start >_>

Jombie

I got a notification on PS4 that it's ready to use, but the new NPC isn't in the
Cathedral

/scratching head.

edit - Weird, now he's here - he just wouldn't load in if I had used the closest bonfire, had to walk there from another one. /still scratching head.

What time zone are you in?

Aurongel

DS4Windows no longer works for me :(

I had this working fine a month ago and now my DS4 isn't recognized by the game at all. Shit sucks.

ramyeon

Wait...

One of the two bosses is just
a stronger version of the giant wolf in the first area?

Colour me disappointed.

Tarkus

I just heard that embering is not a thing in the new arena! GOOD! Farming those fucking things gets old real quick.

The funniest thing just happened. I was at the
second big wolf and his posse
and I had half health, no more estus, and I panicked...ran back into the
giant tower
which I had thankfully already cleared out. But the motherfuckers (yes all of them) followed me inside! Had to dispatch the
big wolf
with arrows from the staircase after dealing with the others. I really didn't expect to be followed.

Playing today for the first time since April, have my character ready. Was checking my equipment, have Firelink armor set and a refined Dark Sword+10, has anything been nerfed since?

Tarkus

Playing today for the first time since April, have my character ready. Was checking my equipment, have Firelink armor set and a refined Dark Sword+10, has anything been nerfed since?
Your sword got nerfed twice. Less AR in one and I believe the second resulted in a delay after the second R1, lessening the ability to R1 spam, and increased stamina consumption. On one of my characters, I could get 10 R1s pre-patch and 9 post-patch.

Your sword got nerfed twice. Less AR in one and I believe the second resulted in a delay after the second R1, lessening the ability to R1 spam, and increased stamina consumption. On one of my characters, I could get 10 R1s pre-patch and 9 post-patch.

Any replacement recommendations? I just tend to use medium swords basically. Uchigatana works for me too.

jb1234

Seriously? Fuck.

Tarkus

Any replacement recommendations? I just tend to use medium swords basically. Uchigatana works for me too.
Try the Hollowslayer Greatsword or the Claymore. Especially now that greatswords have had their attack speed upped. The Dark Sword is still really good btw. The king of the swords is still a Refined Carthus Curved Sword on a quality build or bleed build.

Sullichin

Starting the DLC as level 105 nearly pure pyro (+chaos thrall axe, which is actually pretty good) just cause I have the whole game unlocked there. So far, pyro still owns but I did not bring enough ashen estus for my trip.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Is it possible to screw yourself out of Patches? Siegward is in the well. I talked to him, and there's no Patches in the cathedral. No Patches in the firekeeper tower to trap me, and he doesn't appear in Firelink at all.

I went and killed Deacons, Abyss Watchers and got to the first bonfire in Carthus...still no Patches. I tried to spawn him dozens of times at all locations. Am I screwed?

burgerdog

Doing the dlc with in ng+ with my lv65 character and the difficulty is just right for my skill level. Having a ton of fun so far, found four bonfires in about 90 mins.

KingKong

Am I missing a bonfire along the right path? From the beginning all the way to the second wolf encounter

e: wait nvm, all that was to get to that second bonfire? I feel like I'm missing something with that tower then but never mind, time to carry on

Cat Party

Is it possible to screw yourself out of Patches? Siegward is in the well. I talked to him, and there's no Patches in the cathedral. No Patches in the firekeeper tower to trap me, and he doesn't appear in Firelink at all.

I went and killed Deacons, Abyss Watchers and got to the first bonfire in Carthus...still no Patches. I tried to spawn him dozens of times at all locations. Am I screwed?

Did you check across the rafters on the way to Rosaria? In my first playthrough, Patches did not ever appear in his normal starting space, but instead started out across the rafters.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Did you check across the rafters on the way to Rosaria? In my first playthrough, Patches did not ever appear in his normal starting space, but instead started out across the rafters.

Across the rafters? Like the place you need to fall down to get to Rosaria?

Oh man I'm up there and I think I see him down there!

Edit. He was there! You saved my life!

Cat Party

Across the rafters? Like the place you need to fall down to get to Rosaria?

Oh man I'm up there and I think I see him down there!

Edit. He was there! You saved my life!

Good! He may get stuck there and never move to Firelink, or he might try to lock you in the tower. It's happened both ways for me.

McBryBry

So just died to
superwolf
in the DLC... And I heard a voice back at the bonfire. Don't see anyone though. I'm guessing its just the guy
talking through the painting fragment that sucked me in?

burgerdog

Holy fuck, the undead match is amazing. There's duels for the people that bitch about estus flask usage and a bunch of other set ups. So good!

TitusTroy

I'm enjoying the very early parts of the DLC so far...I love the way the wolves always try and flank you...From Software never really mastered enemy flanking as enemies tended to always just charge you straight on...level design is also on point as always

Dereck

Can the entirety of this game be beaten through co-op like in Bloodborne without time limits other than when bosses die?

Dahbomb

Can the entirety of this game be beaten through co-op like in Bloodborne without time limits other than when bosses die?
Yeah but you need someone to partner up with you throughout. It's hard to get randoms in your games outside of for just boss fights (and even that is getting rarer every day).

zma1013

Is there a way to tell if im in NG+ or not. I forget if i took him to NG+. I think i did but i dunno.

EDIT: NM i figured it out, not all my bonfires are open so i went partway through NG+ already.

So just died to
superwolf
in the DLC... And I heard a voice back at the bonfire. Don't see anyone though. I'm guessing its just the guy
talking through the painting fragment that sucked me in?
There's an NPC right at the very start of the new area, where you warp in before the first bonfire even.

kaos.

Deluxe edition owner, I can't touch ds3 before Thursday. :(
Watching the trailers I saw some blue phantoms in the pvp arena, so I'm wondering... is it possible to obtain concords there?

Alrighty, I beat the DLC on NG with my SL120 Pyromancer and it took me about 3 hours. Seems like nearly everything was weak to fire but due to my rings my physical absorption was in the negatives, so I also took huge amounts of damage which balanced the difficulty out a bit.

DLC opinions with spoilers:
The Setting
I really loved the atmosphere of the whole place, very cold and eerie with a good amount to explore. The Corvian Settlement was especially creepy and had some fun surprises that caught me off guard even though I was being super careful -- Those black clad Corvians are no joke! The area with the giant dilapidated tower in the Snowfields was awesome as well; a real trek to get there through all the wolves and it was rewarding to finally conquer it. The Snowy Mountain Pass was probably my favourite area with all the twists and turns along with loads of enemies strewn about. I'm also having a great time invading there at the moment. I did not like the stupid basement full of bugs, they can go to hell and stay there.

The Bosses
The optional boss (dog and friend) I beat on my first try but it did get me down to zero Estus, though I think I can partly attribute that to me being out of practice when it comes to Souls PvE. I must say I was a bit let down by that fight, a big wolf and a normal-sized person together, not super intimidating. Once you've seen Sif all other video game dogs pale in comparison! Given the number of great humanoid bosses in DS3 (Abyss Watchers, Nameless King, Soul of Cinder, etc.) fighting just a normal dude as a boss is a real disappointment.

The big cheese (angry man with bowl and daughter) was more impressive but I actually really wanted to fight the angry dude more than the woman with the scythe. I enjoyed the three part aspect of the fight but I wish it was not so focused on the physically smaller enemy. When I saw that guy howling and hunched over that bowl, pouring lava all over the place I was super excited to fight him but unfortunately he did not play a huge part in the overall battle.

The Weapons & Items
The armour sets look very cool, especially the Millwood helm, I'll probably use that on a build in the future. Unfortunately I think the weapons seem a bit uninteresting overall, despite some unique weapon arts. Sure, I can hurl a ghost of a spear at my enemies but apart from that it's just a spear, and not a very long one at that. This reminded me of why I loved Bloodborne so much, every weapon is totally unique and different to use. In Dark Souls 3 you're often just left choosing whichever weapon looks the most appealing and then it might do crap damage just because. With that being said I do think Friede's Great Scythe is very cool, mainly because it reminds me of a Bloodborne's weapon transformations.

Final Thoughts
Once I had collected all the weapons and seen their weapon arts it kind of killed any desire I had to go back through the DLC with other characters. I will probably play through it once more to get the scythe on my character that can properly use it, but once I'm done with that I might shelve DS3 until the next DLC. For me personally I'm definitely feeling the Souls fatigue and I might just be getting bored of the series entirely.

I give the DLC a 3 out of 5.

Top Bottom