• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Dahbomb

I have no idea what hyper armor is. I don't remember it being a thing when I played DS3.
The weapon art on the Ultra Greatsword gives you hyper armor. In general some attacks on the Greatswords have armor in that they can't be interrupted by attacks. That's why in a hits trading battle you will always win out, you can time your attacks to their's, tank the attack and hit with an attack stringer than theirs.

Also get a Hornet Ring and see the massive damage you get from viscerals.

I have no idea what hyper armor is. I don't remember it being a thing when I played DS3.

Basically what Dahbomb said, some weapons have hyperarmor which works on combination with poise. Basically, unlike other weapons you can't be staggered mid animation, so while slow, once you start your attack you cannot be interrupted. (as long you have enough poise).

TitusTroy

is the Dark Sword still a good STR weapon to use throughout the entire game (PvE)?...I heard that they nerfed it awhile back with one of the earlier patches

Veelk

Banned
So, I was right before the Irithyll area in my NG+ playthrough (which is wierd, btw, because I literally remember nothing about my NG+ playthrough other than that I got past the first area) so I decided "Why don't I finish off these boring catacombs and then do my favorite area in the game!"

So I did. I killed the old Demon King, Horace, and Wolnir all without a problem. I even was doing well against the enemies of Irithyll which for me were pretty tough from my memory.

Then I got to Pontiff Sulvahn. Oh my.

I remember him being tough, but I have to be rusty as hell, because I remember understanding his move set enough to not be a huge problem. Guess not. He is kicking my ass up and down the church hall, and I'm reminded why playing with the Gut's sword is as challenging as it is.

Tarkus

Made it to crucifixion woods and only seen ONE summon sign. It's been over 6 hours! Are there any NPCs I can summon for the Crystal Sage?
You can summon Eygon of Carim if you've exhausted his dialogue and moved him to Firelink Shrine. His sign is on the left side of the room with the casters, just before Crystal Sage. He's almost useless though.

What system and sl? Did you set your online settings to no password and worldwide?

no password, i'll have to double check worldwide. Thanks.

You can summon Eygon of Carim if you've exhausted his dialogue and moved him to Firelink Shrine. His sign is on the left side of the room with the casters, just before Crystal Sage. He's almost useless though.

I got on the lift as he started talking. I'll find a guide and get his help. Just realized I missed the cursed great wood and some other stuff in undead settlement.

Veelk

Banned
WHOOO!

Finally took down Sulyvahn. It took a long time, but I finally managed to get used to the rhythm of his attacks.

The final DLC boss
is going to kick my ass up and own the whereever it is. Fast attackers are the goddamn bane of this build's existence, no matter how OP the sword is.

Dahbomb

no password, i'll have to double check worldwide. Thanks.

I got on the lift as he started talking. I'll find a guide and get his help. Just realized I missed the cursed great wood and some other stuff in undead settlement.
If you need any help anywhere tonight, I will be playing some Dark Souls 3 on my fresh character. My PSN is Dahbomb88, so just add me whenever.

Currently at the Cathedral of Deep.

Corpekata

Banned
Anyone else playing this on PC been having crashes since the latest patch? Specifically happened twice in Untended Graves and Cemetary of Ash, killing the robed dudes (on two different characters, one in UG, a newbie in Cemetary).

cormack12

Gold Member
Any way to stop the zombies respawning in Cathedral of the Deep graveyards? I ran through after getting bored and ran into a dual wielding guy that killed me. I was looking for Bloodborne's equivalent of the bell maidens.....just wanna know if I should just run through or take the time to kill them etc.

Also, got invaded yesterday and was fighting. Accidentally used an estus so let him get a heal off as well. Both started fighting again, I had him at slivers of health a couple of times but he almost healed instantly. Just lag on estus or was it a miracle/spell? Like I would finish a combo and do a backstep, 2 secs for stamina to regen and go to finish him off, and in that gap his health was right back at 80% full or something. Not too salty, just curious more.

My PS4 email receipt for DLC says it's active tonight @ 11pm (UK).

Any way to stop the zombies respawning in Cathedral of the Deep graveyards? I ran through after getting bored and ran into a dual wielding guy that killed me. I was looking for Bloodborne's equivalent of the bell maidens.....just wanna know if I should just run through or take the time to kill them etc.
No, they're infinite respawn. There's really nothing in that area to hang around for though, a few bits of loot.

So I picked up the game after having dropped it a few months back because reasons. I'm barely in the forest now. Any tips for managing weapons? I swear that for every Souls game I just keep my first weapon, upgrading it throughout the game. I ignore every weapon I pick up pretty much, especially when seeing the attack is lower than my current broadsword.

Which are the main stats I should pay attention to?

So I picked up the game after having dropped it a few months back because reasons. I'm barely in the forest now. Any tips for managing weapons? I swear that for every Souls game I just keep my first weapon, upgrading it throughout the game. I ignore every weapon I pick up pretty much, especially when seeing the attack is lower than my current broadsword.

Which are the main stats I should pay attention to?
The attack on an un-upgraded weapon will almost always be lower than your current weapon if it's been upgraded a couple of times. Try to compare the base values of both unupgraded, or at least guess. Say your broadsword is +3 and does 200 damage. You pick up a Claymore and it's not upgraded but does 190 damage, well it stands to reason it's going to do more than 200 at +3, thus it's got better damage than your broadsword.

I always think movesets are more important than raw damage though - the best weapon is the one you like the moveset of the most imo.

Stats you should be upgrading are HP, stamina and whatever stats your chosen weapon(s) scale with. Example: you're using a weapon that scales B with DEX, every time you put a level up point in to DEX that weapon does more damage (exact figures are on each weapon's stat page when in your inventory/equip screen).

laxu

is the Dark Sword still a good STR weapon to use throughout the entire game (PvE)?...I heard that they nerfed it awhile back with one of the earlier patches

It is not as good as it was but still probably one of the better straight swords. Generally you could just use whatever weapon you like most, I find myself moving between greatswords and ultra greatswords a fair bit now.

-Horizon-

Thought I'd start playing again to familiarize myself before the DLC is out later.

After coming from DS2, EVERYTHING IS TOO FAST >.<

Last time I played DS3 I played Bloodborne before so I guess I adjusted easier.

The attack on an un-upgraded weapon will almost always be lower than your current weapon if it's been upgraded a couple of times. Try to compare the base values of both unupgraded, or at least guess. Say your broadsword is +3 and does 200 damage. You pick up a Claymore and it's not upgraded but does 190 damage, well it stands to reason it's going to do more than 200 at +3, thus it's got better damage than your broadsword.

I always think movesets are more important than raw damage though - the best weapon is the one you like the moveset of the most imo.

Stats you should be upgrading are HP, stamina and whatever stats your chosen weapon(s) scale with. Example: you're using a weapon that scales B with DEX, every time you put a level up point in to DEX that weapon does more damage (exact figures are on each weapon's stat page when in your inventory/equip screen).

That's very helpful, thank you.

Laws00

So does the dlc release at midnight?

I don't know if i got a download prompt yesterday but i didnt check to see if the dlc was available for download or had downloaded on my system since i have auto downloads

Pixieking

Banned
Really? That's the same hour that I always had 25th at 00:00.

I guess us european don't deserve to get the game sooner.

Oh, that's weird... I thought it was unlocking at the usual Steam unlock time (6pm UK) on Tuesday. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention?

Had a weird data DS3 "download" earlier, where Steam just checked data for 2 minutes, and downloaded 200k. But it didn't unlock the DLC early, so *shrugs* Dunno what that was about.

If you need any help anywhere tonight, I will be playing some Dark Souls 3 on my fresh character. My PSN is Dahbomb88, so just add me whenever.

Currently at the Cathedral of Deep.

Appreciate it, I'll add you when I'm back on.

The areas are so densely packed! Checked a guide and saw how much stuff I missed in the Undead Settlement. Loving the game so far and its a welcome change of pace from all the sports games I've been playing.

Oh, that's weird... I thought it was unlocking at the usual Steam unlock time (6pm UK) on Tuesday. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention?

Had a weird data DS3 "download" earlier, where Steam just checked data for 2 minutes, and downloaded 200k. But it didn't unlock the DLC early, so *shrugs* Dunno what that was about.

I remember looking at it on this past Friday and it was unlocking at the same time as now. Yeah, I got the same download and it was fuckingnothing.gif.

Was bleed nerfed at some point? I haven't played in a few months but hopped back on my bleed build character just now and it seemed weaker than I remember against bosses.

Strampas

Neo Member
I haven't played DS3 in a couple of months, but I've been trying to complete the game on NG with a different ending, and have been following a guide. I hope this DLC won't mess with anything for me now : o
And I guess it's time to spend some souls I've been collecting - or not spending, because I was thinking of pvp'ing on level 120.

laxu

If I want to make either a faith or luck build, what kind of stats should I respec to at about level 130? Which weapons/rings/armor/spells would be good for either one?

Amirnol

Anyone know how big the DLC download is? Just curious how long I'll have to wait tonight when I get home and start downloading.

What in the... my controller is absolutely fucked all of a sudden on PC. It's like LB is constantly being held down even when it isn't. It was fine all last week but now that the DLC is out of course it's broken.

Edit: In the controller properties it shows that LB is constantly highlighted... what the hell happened??

konjak

Good news, if you actually had faith and support to get the season pass, it doesn't work on Steam. Only purchasing separately seems to. They're doing this game real well, aren't they

Good news, if you actually had faith and support to get the season pass, it doesn't work on Steam. Only purchasing separately seems to. They're doing this game real well, aren't they

What specifically are you seeing? I got the season pass and it seems to be downloading fine for me.

konjak

What specifically are you seeing? I got the season pass and it seems to be downloading fine for me.

The DLC "trigger" inside the game, which I've seen where it is, is simply not there for season pass owners.

EDIT: It's possibly only Deluxe Edition owners who get the problem.

I think I just deleted the 1.6GB download from yesterday on PS4. I have the season pass, downloaded the DLC yesterday, went to select it and somehow it's downloading it again, so I stop it and I guess it just overwrote the original download? There's also a choice of 2 "game packs" with no description whatsoever of what each one is.

This is why I never go online with PS4, I don't think I've ever had a smooth experience with PSN, ever, lol!

The DLC "trigger" inside the game, which I've seen where it is, is simply not there for season pass owners.

EDIT: It's possibly only Deluxe Edition owners who get the problem.

Oh sorry, I thought you meant that the download didn't start for you.

I did read that you may have to reload the "trigger" area repeatedly until the NPC shows up.

Top Bottom