• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Ferr986

so has poise been fixed?...is it back to how it was in DS1 etc?

No, and will probably never be. Poise in DS3 is still centered around hyperarmor while attacking with some weapons, but now the poise of the armor effects that hyperarmor, giving less (or none) or more depending on how much poise that armor gives.

But you still can't tank like standing doing nothing "cant stop the Rock" style.

OH10WbY.gif

Holy fuck.

EDIT: Also, about the new poise, seems like hyperarmor now it depends on both weapon and armor. With low poise armor you may not get hyperarmor even if the weapon has it.
Wait, you can break the Pyromancer's Flame!?

Manu

So I made it to Sulyvahn after oneshotting ever boss so far, only to find out my Irythill Straight Sword does shit damage to him. I'm doing 170-180 damage per hit, while every other enemy to this point got rekt by my sword.

Fuck Sulyvahn.

I'm seriously considering dropping the run and doing the DLC on my NG++ character, but he's too overleveled.

grmlin

Can someone explain whats happening there with the weapon at risk?

I had to repair my weapons in Bloodborne all the time and still don't know why there is the option to do so in DS3. I honestly thought that weapons are not breaking at all.

Ferr986

So, a boss from the DLC has
3 phases
?

Yikes if true, that seems a little overkill.

Can someone explain whats happening there with the weapon at risk?

I had to repair my weapons in Bloodborne all the time and still don't know why there is the option to do so in DS3. I honestly thought that weapons are not breaking at all.

That spell breaks your weapon at a very fast pace if you stand inside the cloud. Regular usage they degrade too slow and every time you rest in a bonfire they auto repair, so you never need to repair them.

DamnNoHtml doing work:

Ashes of Ariandel Patch Breakdown - Dark Souls III

- Improved regular attack animations of hammer category weapons.

No change in speed. Slight increase in forward momentum on all swings. However, the Club moveset does have a 5% increase in attack speed.

- Improved regular attack animations of greatsword category weapons.

Not as big of a change as everyone claimed. The initial R1 comes out at roughly the same speed. Consecutive hits are a bit faster, indicating a slight decrease in recovery time, which is nice.

- Improved regular attack animations of axe category weapons.

No change in speed. Slight increase in forward momentum on all swings.

- Improved regular attack animations of fist category weapons.

No change in speed. Slight increase in forward momentum on all swings. Range seems slightly longer.

- Improved the "Neck Swipe" weapon skill animation of scythe category weapons.

Speed increased by 50%. Hyper armor added, though that needs more testing.

- Improved the "Wrath of the Gods" weapon skill animation for Wornir's Holy Sword.

Speed is the same, AOE is larger.

- Improved the "Blind Spot" weapon skill animation for Corvian Greatknife and Handmaiden's Dagger.

Speed increased by about 5%.

- Improved the "Shield Splitter" weapon skill animation for Mail Breaker and Irithyll Rapier.

Speed increased by about 5%.

- Improved the "Wolf Leap" weapon skill animation for Old Wolf Curved Sword.

I've heard this was a mistranslation of the Wolf Knight Greatsword's Somersault. The somersault is very slightly faster.

- The weapon skill of Old King's Great Hammer "Molten Perseverence" will now release lava on both hits.

There is no lava on the actual Perseverance - just the two smashes afterwards.

- Improved the "Darkdrift" weapon skill animation for Darkdrift.

Identical to Shield Splitter.

- Reduced effectiveness of rolling attack animations on Gotthard Twinswords while dual wielding.

Speed reduced by 5%. Recovery slightly higher.

- Increased effectiveness of the sorcery "Pestilent Mercury".

Damage increased by a whopping 150%.

- Improved the cast animation of miracle "Lifehunt Scythe".

Speed increased by about 10%.

- Increased poison and toxic buildup of the pyromancies "Poison Mist" and "Toxis Mist", respectively.

Poison builds up quite quickly, though the damage remains laughable.

- Increased durability damage buildup of the pyromancy "Acid Surge".

You need repair powder now.

- Unannounced changes: (continually updating)

Emit Force is significantly faster

it seems to much IMO but didn't see the fight so I dunno how long those phases are

Not officially out but got leaked on Xbox One.

My victory fight is about 10 minutes, i can link a twitch archive but stream quality is poor D:
The main gripe i see people having is that, phase 3 is completely bonkers, and phase 1 is too easy once you know the tricks.So it does kinda feel like "i've already proved myself here, let me prove myself in this batshit insane round".

Managed to use the shitty xbox game dvr to record second boss though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkHGtrNJ78A .

grmlin

So, a boss from the DLC has
3 phases
?

Yikes if true, that seems a little overkill.

That spell breaks your weapon at a very fast pace if you stand inside the cloud. Regular usage they degrade too slow and every time you rest in a bonfire they auto repair, so you never need to repair them.

ah, thanks.

Ferr986

My victory fight is about 10 minutes, i can link a twitch archive but stream quality is poor D:
The main gripe i see people having is that, phase 3 is completely bonkers, and phase 1 is too easy once you know the tricks.So it does kinda feel like "i've already proved myself here, let me prove myself in this batshit insane round".

Managed to use the shitty xbox game dvr to record second boss though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkHGtrNJ78A .

Thanks, gonna try to not watch though lol At this rate I'm gonna spoil myself all the DLC.

Saw there's a new (weapon spoiler)
scythe
that looks cool, but fuck being DEX/INT A/A

Boss is hard on the DLC. I was doing so good and now I'm getting rekt. Performance can suck a lot on Xbone.

Which phase you struggling with? and yea, that will happen D: the length of the fight,means youll probably get frustrated and start dying stupidly.

Performance is so awful, should not of been shipped. Seems the DLC area was designed for PC first and then just shoved onto the ancient console cpu's.

Mutombo

fuck, the short time of the DLC is a bit of a letdown. Blood borne gave me a solid 20 hours (but that includes many extra stuff, co-oping, pvp, and I was a bit under leveled for the NG+ DLC) but still!

Tarkus

Hyperarmor is different. I know my build with the Lothric Greatsword. I know when the frames kick in. Just doing some soul farming at a spot I've done a hundred times. My attacks are getting broken later in the swing to the point of me fucking up and dying because I'm interrupted. I do have light armor on while farming, so that might explain it with the new poise adjustment.

Hyperarmor is different. I know my build with the Lothric Greatsword. I know when the frames kick in. Just doing some soul farming at a spot I've done a hundred times. My attacks are getting broken later in the swing to the point of me fucking up and dying because I'm interrupted. I do have light armor on while farming, so that might explain it with the new poise adjustment.
Maybe you should try some.........black iron. *chortle*

Tarkus

Guys, please put all thoughts and info about the DLC into spoiler tags. Most of the thread are not on xbox one.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Damn wtf, my Steam key of the game just got revoked, probably because of the dlc release. It was a review key that was labeled 'beta testing', they probably removed all access with these keys. I wonder if other reviewers got this as well. Going to check with pr/Bamco I think

preta

How many NG cycles should I go through to make the DLC appropriately difficult at level 120? I don't exactly want to play through from scratch to get to the recommended 80.

How many NG cycles should I go through to make the DLC appropriately difficult at level 120? I don't exactly want to play through from scratch to get to the recommended 80.

I'm level 121 and had it at ng++
Some things were a breeze and some things were not. NG+++ would probably be where things are mostly not a breeze.

mellow

I hate how it's out early on XBOX..AGAIN. Sigh. Couldn't resist watching footage.

That final boss is something else. Boss weapon is gonna be in every build for a month. Looks incredible.

MCD

I think I had enough jolly coop for now.

Gonna rest a bit but if someone need a helping hand with the dlc bossess on Xbox just msg me.

GT: Mcdragon Live

TitusTroy

I've been replaying the base game (PC) in anticipation of the DLC coming out this Tuesday...I noticed that there are now 3 of those annoying Hand Ogre creatures inside that room in the Profaned Capital...where there always 3?...I could have sworn that there were only 2 before...did the new patch add another Ogre?...2 of them were annoying but beatable but with 3 inside that small room it's ridiculous

I've been replaying the base game (PC) in anticipation of the DLC coming out this Tuesday...I noticed that there are now 3 of those annoying Hand Ogre creatures inside that room in the Profaned Capital...where there always 3?...I could have sworn that there were only 2 before...did the new patch add another Ogre?...2 of them were annoying but beatable but with 3 inside that small room it's ridiculous

Pretty sure they were always 3.

laxu

It's always been 3. They are tough because the only time you can really hit them hard is when their face is exposed and that's only during some nasty attacks.

Seen already a few of the new weapons on the PC version.

I guess people are using hacks to get the weapons or reviewers/youtubers that got to play it already.

Quick question: I'm thinking about giving the Chaos Blade another chance, this time with 60 DEX instead of 40. Will this inevitably make my character only viable for the Chaos Blade or is there any other purpose for having 60 DEX?

Quick question: I'm SL 150 on NG+, just beat Soul of Cinder. Do you recommend starting the DLC now or in NG++?

Quick question: I'm thinking about giving the Chaos Blade another chance, this time with 60 DEX instead of 40. Will this inevitably make my character only viable for the Chaos Blade or is there any other purpose for having 60 DEX?

Quick question: I'm SL 150 on NG+, just beat Soul of Cinder. Do you recommend starting the DLC now or in NG++?

Curved Greatswords get A scaling, Pointiff Knight Great Scythe gets S scaling.

Thrusting swords and other few weapons also gets A scaling (with sharp infusion), your arsenal will be limited, but chaos blade is a fun weapon. Also I guess we'll get some good DEX weapons on the dlc.

About the NG+ or NG++ question, my opinion is that 150 is too much for NG+, but depends of how much hard you find the game.

Jombie

I personally don't think the chaos blade is worth building a character around. You can't infuse or buff it and it's kind of slow.

Thanks guys. Yes, NG+ was a breeze on SL 150. Will trigger NG++ before I dive into the DLC then.

And 60 DEX it is then.. just want to give the weapon one proper go again.

chunk3rvd

It's always been 3. They are tough because the only time you can really hit them hard is when their face is exposed and that's only during some nasty attacks.

I only just realised you can crit them the other day! When they rear up before lunging at you, you can shoot them in the face with an arrow to trigger a critical opportunity

Manu

Ended up summoning for Sulyvahn after my fifth death. Not proud of it. After Sully I killed Aldrich and Dancer on one try and Dragonslayer Armour in two (got sloppy at the end.)

I guess Sulyvahn will be my nemesis forever.

Alo0oy

Banned
There are spoilers everywhere, Namco should just stop fucking with us and release the DLC already, are we supposed to dodge everything on the internet over the next few days AGAIN?

The way they handled the DS3 release, and now the DLC is pretty bad. I can't believe how poorly they're handling simple game distribution.

Top Bottom