• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

god this game is so good. i started a new game earlier this week and had completely forgotten about the DLC! i bought it and played for a bit but i am too wrapped up in this current run. i started as deprived and invested mostly in STR and VIG. once i found the claymore i fell in love with the moveset and have been using that as my main weapon.

it has been serving me very well! i took down the Abyss Watchers in one shot solo - it does a lot of damage and is seemingly hard to stop. i'm having a lot of luck with Irithyll of the Boreal Valley too, which usually gives me tons of trouble. the claymore tears through the pontiff knights in 3 hits! i always have lots of trouble in this area so this is the first time i've been able to clear it and explore!

Dark Souls 3 really holds up. i am looking forward to playing through all these levels again.

Sarcasm

If your are at the point where you can branch off into one of the three endings, how close to the end of the base game is that?

Also, I remember all three endings as I have to roll back to this save.

Which ending should I choose to use for the dlc?

Think I will do the marriage (lord of hollows) one. I do not need to go into a NG+ right? Just after beating cinder is enough?

If your are at the point where you can branch off into one of the three endings, how close to the end of the base game is that?

Also, I remember all three endings as I have to roll back to this save.

Which ending should I choose to use for the dlc?

Think I will do the marriage (lord of hollows) one. I do not need to go into a NG+ right? Just after beating cinder is enough?

If you don't want to, you don't have to do an ending for the extra/alternative dialogue. Just play the dlc, don't want to spoil you, but you're fine now.

RiggyRob

Slight diversion from the DLC, we made a video on how to farm the Winged Angel Knights at the top of the Grand Archives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB51EO6UweQ&index=104&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5

The main gist of it is using Sacred Flame to continually trap them until they're dead, which is pretty damn effective when you have all of the soul increasing equipment. The only difficult part is avoiding the first attack from the knight with the Twinaxes, but once you've done that and trapped him in the Sacred Flame loop, the rest is easy enough.

It's how I was able to buy 99 of all of the Titanite Chunks/Twinkling Titanite/Titanite Scales!

laxu

Can anyone give me some tips with
Friede Pt. 3
. This is seriously nuts at this point. I'm only on NG, I'm freaking SL 106. I am trying to fight
her
with a str build, wearing all pontiff knight gear, the chillbite ring, and a greatshield. I'm using a +10 heavy dark sword, I just cannot get through
phase 3
. I don't have any idea what to do at this point, do I need a new weapon? I can get to that part with 13 estus charges, but even that doesn't matter. I either get two shotted, or drain them rapidly.

You can backstab her in all phases so look for openings to do that. I never bothered blocking because usually one of her attacks would stagger me if I block the first one so rolling is key. Dark Sword should be fine, that's what I used. It's fast enough to stunlock her, just have enough stamina to roll away after a few hits.

laxu

Slight diversion from the DLC, we made a video on how to farm the Winged Angel Knights at the top of the Grand Archives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB51EO6UweQ&index=104&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5

The main gist of it is using Sacred Flame to continually trap them until they're dead, which is pretty damn effective when you have all of the soul increasing equipment. The only difficult part is avoiding the first attack from the knight with the Twinaxes, but once you've done that and trapped him in the Sacred Flame loop, the rest is easy enough.

It's how I was able to buy 99 of all of the Titanite Chunks/Twinkling Titanite/Titanite Scales!

That's interesting. I still think using Rapport is much faster as you can just have the first two knights fight each other and then use Rapport again on the winner. That said, combining the two might be a fairly good move because sometimes the winner is the non-friendly one so you have to be able to hit rapport again right when the other knight dies.

RiggyRob

That's interesting. I still think using Rapport is much faster as you can just have the first two knights fight each other and then use Rapport again on the winner. That said, combining the two might be a fairly good move because sometimes the winner is the non-friendly one so you have to be able to hit rapport again right when the other knight dies.

We never found the tome for Rapport in our blind playthrough, and I don't think I can use it anyway at 10 Int/40 Faith. Sacred Flame's requirements are 8 Int/8 Faith I believe.

I don't think I've ever seen Rapport being used to be honest!

laxu

We never found the tome for Rapport in our blind playthrough, and I don't think I can use it anyway at 10 Int/40 Faith. Sacred Flame's requirements are 8 Int/8 Faith I believe.

I don't think I've ever seen Rapport being used to be honest!

Yeah you'd need to use the Scholar Ring to be able to use it. I haven't found much use for the spell other than farming those guys.

neoism

So guys how is matchmaking done in arena? I've been lv161 for a looooooooong time and was wondering is
Lv 200-225 to high and can you still find games quickly????

You can backstab her in all phases so look for openings to do that. I never bothered blocking because usually one of her attacks would stagger me if I block the first one so rolling is key. Dark Sword should be fine, that's what I used. It's fast enough to stunlock her, just have enough stamina to roll away after a few hits.

Is there a stronger version of a straight sword to use? I cannot backstab her in phase three. It just isn't happening. I find a greatshield is really good for preventing her from staggering me generally until the third phase, then it's impossible to block any of the damage. Maybe I'm over relying on blocking for the first two which is why the third is such a struggle.. I'm at about 15 attempts now with no success.

Edit - Another four fucking failed attempts since this last message.. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I refuse to coop! Fuck!!!

So I decided to respec. I kinda want to go the safe route and go pure dex and endurance like I usually do. But I also want to try strength and vitality. Is poise any good now? I alsi hear great swords and such suck on bosses in ds3 is that true?

2AdEPT

Anyone to help with prince lothric, im in ng ++ and im not doing many damage, im online now.
Just load up with bleed, dragon buff and red tear stone morion blade. ( not all necessary but the more you get the more the damage...more than double if you get everything) If you put on denial you can tank one hit. I think I was doing 7-800 DPS in this video.

https://youtu.be/xBiGX3DpBc4

laxu

Is there a stronger version of a straight sword to use? I cannot backstab her in phase three. It just isn't happening. I find a greatshield is really good for preventing her from staggering me generally until the third phase, then it's impossible to block any of the damage. Maybe I'm over relying on blocking for the first two which is why the third is such a struggle.. I'm at about 15 attempts now with no success.

Edit - Another four fucking failed attempts since this last message.. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I refuse to coop! Fuck!!!

The only thing I can think of is that your rolling game isn't on point. I don't think I used block in the third phase at all. First phase it should be fine, second phase you should not need it because you should be wailing at the father unless Friede is healing him. Third phase just roll until you find an opening and can get in a few hits.

The last (and only?) time I saw Patches was when he disguised as Siegfried of Catarina and trapped me. Now I'm right in front of the final boss but would like to farm some things with Gold Coins which Patches apparently sells. Is he still in my game or should I have persued his quest line? I played without guide which is why I didn't really keep track of stuff like that.

RiggyRob

The last (and only?) time I saw Patches was when he disguised as Siegfried of Catarina and trapped me. Now I'm right in front of the final boss but would like to farm some things with Gold Coins which Patches apparently sells. Is he still in my game or should I have persued his quest line? I played without guide which is why I didn't really keep track of stuff like that.

He's still around, should still be in the Cathedral of the Deep actually.

So I have not been here for a millennium. Whats up everyone :D?

I'm not entirely sure what is considered a spoiler, I personally don't like knowing any info when going into a Souls game/Souls DLC. So if you haven't beaten the DLC don't read :p

So I beat the Champion's Gravetender and Greatwolf boss fight. I was wondering, do killing those two wolves have any impact on that fight at all? I saw two wolves, one I killed the other I said meh whatever. Do they drop anything? I'm a bit worried that have some significance since after the boss fight I went to where the second one spawned and he don't come after me.

grmlin

Hell yeah, today was the day, my first ever platinum is done!!!

I saved the best for the last and killed the Nameless King on my own in NG++. I feel like I cheated though, as I tried the Dragonslayer Armor shield method, but who cares, I deserved that!

Thanks everyone for the great support in here, no idea if I would have made it without this thread.

Anyway, the DLC and a new char will have to wait, I need to do something else first 😁

I hate my life...ALL BECAUSE POISE STILL DOESN'T WORK GODDAMMIT FGDSGSDGSHF

Edit: spoiler tagging the picture doesn't want to work for me...weird :/. I posted it and it just showed up immediately.

Poise works just fine. Unless you mean DS1-style poise, which was never in the game and never will be.

Don't you say that! Don't you dare say that!!!! ;_;
It doesn't have to be havel the unstaggerable like in DaS 1, maybe poise like DaS 2.

Or poise in any sense where a itty bitty dagger doesn't interrupt you.

Breads

Banned
Don't you say that! Don't you dare say that!!!! ;_;
It doesn't have to be havel the unstaggerable like in DaS 1, maybe poise like DaS 2.

Or poise in any sense where a itty bitty dagger doesn't interrupt you.

This is my main gripe. If I fully charged a 2h R2 of the Lothric Spear and it's 2 frame away from hitting an enemy but a plastic spork interrupts it something is wrong. If they run into my spear from out of my range their punishment should be a spear to the face. They shouldn't have the ability to knock me out of my attack just because their weapon has better frame data.

Tarkus

I hate my life...ALL BECAUSE POISE STILL DOESN'T WORK GODDAMMIT FGDSGSDGSHF

Edit: spoiler tagging the picture doesn't want to work for me...weird :/. I posted it and it just showed up immediately.
Nice to see you again DHK! Poise only works on attacks that have hyperarmor in the first place. 20 poise seems to be a threshold as well as 40 poise. It's very nice for 2-handed greatswords and ultras.

xxkasper1477734308.jpeg
I want it! But my wallet :'(

This is my main gripe. If I fully charged a 2h R2 of the Lothric Spear and it's 2 frame away from hitting an enemy but a plastic spork interrupts it something is wrong. If they run into my spear from out of my range their punishment should be a spear to the face. They shouldn't have the ability to knock me out of my attack just because their weapon has better frame data.

Yup. I feel like there's little use in using slow hard hitting weapons. Before it was you'd take damage during the animation, so it was a risk reward. Now that interruptions can happen very often, quick weapons are the goto.

Nice to see you again DHK! Poise only works on attacks that have hyperarmor in the first place. 20 poise seems to be a threshold as well as 40 poise. It's very nice for 2-handed greatswords and ultras.

Hey, how have you been :p? Sorry for my absence, pretty much stopped playing after I beat the game so much and did so much Co-Op that I ran out of room for medals. That's just annoying though, armour should give poise. Again, not crazy like DaS 1, but enough that not every attack can stagger you.

labx

Banned
Guys recently I'm having a question that is buggin' my mind. If your "job" in DS3 as unkindle and potentially hollow (if you wish too) is to keep the flame alive why at the end when you acquire the souls of the lords you have to fight with the Soul of Cinder if she/he/it basically have your same job, to guard the first flame and maintain it alive?

(This question is based on the To Link the Fire' ending)

Manu

Guys recently I'm having a question that is buggin' my mind. If your "job" in DS3 as unkindle and potentially hollow (if you wish too) is to keep the flame alive why at the end when you acquire the souls of the lords you have to fight with the Soul of Cinder if she/he/it basically have your same job, to guard the first flame and maintain it alive?

(This question is based on the To Link the Fire' ending)

Because the Soul of Cinder obviously isn't strong enough for the job anymore. That's how you beat it.

Is there no invasion timer anymore? Some guy was in my world for like 20 minutes and he just kept running away(and having that ring that made him invisible at a certain distance) healing, and hiding behind mobs. It was super annoying.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nope, no more timers.

If someone does that I just ignore them and keep PvEing. Yesterday I got invaded by some coward in the DLC. I was in the place where
the milkwood greatbow is
, trying to fight
wolves and viking knights
, but I stopped combat when I saw the invasion notice, retreated, and waited in the area where I had killed the tree monsters, so that I wouldn't get ambushed by the invader in the middle of combat. He never showed. So I ran to the loot, grabbed it, killed a few wolves and ran away. Still don't see where the invader is.
I cross the bridge, knock it down.
Shortly after I see the message that the invader "returned home". lol...

The other day I was cooping the DLC with my friend, and we got invaded a few times (we use Dried Finger at all times during our coop session). Many times we were in the middle of chaotic combat, swarmed by wolves or whatnot, and an invader would have a golden opportunity to ambush us. Or at least spot where we are due to the combat noises, HP bars being depleted on-screen, etc. But nothing. They just wait somewhere and then eventually go home. Wut?

Jobbs

Banned
I hate PVP invasions in this game.

If I get invaded I just roll my eyes. It's far too easy to roll away and estus. It's virtually impossible to stop. And if they run out of estus or if you happen to have a lloyds and hit them with it they'll just run away and keep hiding behind monsters. It's too easy to just prolong things forever. I hate it.

Them rolling out of a combo with a few pixels of hp then full healing with an estus is just like.. Always. It always happens.

So we just bullshit around healing with estus until someone runs out, and then if it's the invader who runs out he has the choice of just running and hiding behind enemies and keeping distance for as long as he wants. It's not fun. He should have a time limit and/or phantoms of any kind should have *no* estus.

Jobbs

Banned
Invaders are at a severe disadvantage already. Removing Estus from invaders would make it pretty much impossible to win as an invader.

Fights that can be prolonged indefinitely are not fun though. You want to attack me? Okay, I can accept that. Maybe I'll be killed. I can accept that. But this infinite ability to prolong things and play dumb little games forever just isn't fun.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah some invaders are cowardly and boring. As an invader I'll use the terrain to my advantage and yes, use enemies sometimes (if it's a 2v1 or 3v1 only, in 1v1 I fight the host where I find them -- though sometimes they run away to the enemies... o_O), but I also don't wait and hide forever even then. I'd rather die quickly and re-invade than waste so much time being bored.

The greatbow from the DLC has served me well during invasions on my strength build. I've been able to hit people through objects with the weapon art for over 400 damage.

Jobbs

Banned
Are spears useful for anything? I've found them very frustratingly bad in PVE (when compared to easier to use weapons) and I don't typically see them being used in PVP, but I remember spears being fairly common in Souls 1.

laxu

Are spears useful for anything? I've found them very frustratingly bad in PVE (when compared to easier to use weapons) and I don't typically see them being used in PVP, but I remember spears being fairly common in Souls 1.

Dragonslayer spear WA is really good in Archdragon Peak. Especially for farming.

Veelk

Banned
So I decide to take a short break from my Demons Souls playthrough to tackle the DS3 DLC. Since I enjoyed changing my character up (finally got rid of that shitty Berserk Greatsword and started using the Profane Greatsword. It's SO much better, even if speed can still be a problem), and I was close to the better areas of the main game after Irithyll Dungeon and since I was on NG+ and didn't have to worry about collecting most items except slabs to upgrade weapons I wanted to try out, I figure why not get as many slabs as I can.

So I get the coiled sword fragment because I can trade it to the pickle pee wierdo for a slab.

So I leave it, then exit game and....nothings there. WTF, did I get pump-a-rumped?

Then I read up and it says it doesn't work like Demons Souls and that exiting the game means I lose whatever is on the ground.

LLShC.gif

Veelk

Banned
lol yes. It was like that since DS2...

*sigh*

Oh well, one less titan slab.

At some point, it just becomes a pointless grind to make players replay a game over and over so they can get more slabs. Just make it an item available for sale after NG+ and let players level up what they need.

I swear, the moment I get a PC strong enough to run it, I am going to cheat the SHIT out of this game. It's gonna be raining slabs and chunks and whatever the fuck else I need.

grmlin

*sigh*

Oh well, one less titan slab.

At some point, it just becomes a pointless grind to make players replay a game over and over so they can get more slabs. Just make it an item available for sale after NG+ and let players level up what they need.

I swear, the moment I get a PC strong enough to run it, I am going to cheat the SHIT out of this game. It's gonna be raining slabs and chunks and whatever the fuck else I need.

At NG++ I had so many slabs and could buy more than I could store of the rest, that there honestly is no point in cheating.

And if you want to give some weapon a try, backup you save before.

Anyway, it's a thing I always wondered. Do they store some sort of reference to items when playing online?

what if you

- give all your slabs to a friend
- restore your save
- ...repeat
- get 1 Zillion slabs back

?

Veelk

Banned
At NG++ I had so many slabs and could buy more than I could store of the rest, that there honestly is no point in cheating.

And if you want to give some weapon a try, backup you save before.

You have a point there, why use a cheat engine when I can play just play game 3 times over to grind them out? /s

Similarly, why would I save a back up and then bother reloading it as opposed to just getting instant infinite amounts of slabs so I can upgrade ALL my weapons and switch to try them out whenever I feel like it.

Souls fans can be so weird sometimes. I got a similar response when I decided to level up my character in bloodborne in all stats. "Veelk, why don't you just play start a new game and play over and over and over and over to experience it fully instead of the simpler and more effective route?" I realize these are really good games and all, but that should mean you want to play them just to play them, not to get more of a super rare loot that the game keeps out of your hands for no reason.

grmlin

You have a point there, why use a cheat engine when I can play just play game 3 times over to grind them out? /s

Similarly, why would I save a back up and then bother reloading it as opposed to just getting instant infinite amounts of slabs so I can upgrade ALL my weapons and switch to try them out whenever I feel like it.

Souls fans can be so weird sometimes. I got a similar response when I decided to level up my character in bloodborne. "Veelk, why don't you just play start a new game and play over and over and over and over to experience it fully instead of the simpler and more effective route?"

But if you don't want to play the game again, why would you need more slabs?

You think they just should have made them buyable?

Veelk

Banned
But if you don't want to play the game again, why would you need more slabs?

You think they just should have made them buyable?

I do want to play the game, but not so I can grind for more shit.

I play souls games to fight creepy and interesting enemies and bosses in awesome fantastical environments, and (other than the first NG, because then obviously the game would be imbalanced) I like to do that with my character as strong as it can be.

So basically what I'm saying is that as of the end of my first playthrough, I don't want to have to worry about finding stuff or grinding at that point. At that point, I should have all my equipment at full level, which obviously the game doesn't allow.

So I'd rather just run a cheat and get infinite upgrade materials and just upgrade everything. Then I can use it without having to back up save or grind or anything. I can just play the game itself. And I find it really weird that this is apparently an unusual perspective on how to play the game and people seem to think it's preferable to go through all the bullshit multiple times over.

RiggyRob

I do want to play the game, but not so I can grind for more shit.

I play souls games to fight creepy and interesting enemies and bosses in awesome fantastical environments, and (other than the first NG, because then obviously the game would be imbalanced) I like to do that with my character as strong as it can be.

So basically what I'm saying is that as of the end of my first playthrough, I don't want to have to worry about finding stuff or grinding at that point. At that point, I should have all my equipment at full level, which obviously the game doesn't allow.

So I'd rather just run a cheat and get infinite upgrade materials and just upgrade everything. Then I can use it without having to back up save or grind or anything. I can just play the game itself. And I find it really weird that this is apparently an unusual perspective on how to play the game and people seem to think it's preferable to go through all the bullshit multiple times over.

Do you feel like you have to kill every enemy in your way?

Once you've reached NG+, it's much easier to just run through areas all the way to bosses and pick up the +1/+2 version of items.

Top Bottom