• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

NG+ was too easy once you were SL120 and had all the best weapons/builds, but NG+3 is a different ball game. Bosses that used to be easy as shit like Crystal Sage are actually hard to beat now. Abyss Watchers killed several poor Sunbros who didn't expect them to hit so hard. Now I'm on the bridge to Irithyll and that goddamn beast is wrecking my shit. Pontiff is going to be really scary.

Splinter

So I just got dark souls 3 (first actual souls game for me) after playing Bllodborne for a bit, I chose the knight class. In BB I focused mainly on HP and Strength, what should I level up in DS3 if I plan on playing aggressively like in BB? In BB you could get health back by attacking enemies, and my play style focused a lot on that, and my endurance in BB was never a problem, DS3 seems to be a different beast. Im worried I'll die too quickly in Ds3 if I level up "wrong." I'd like my guy to be strong and tough since I'm early in the game. On my first level up visit I increased HP+2 and Strength+1, should I focus on this two mainly, and every other level on Endurance? Or am I screwing myself doing that?

In BB in seemed that your starting weapon was viable through the entire game, with upgrades, is this also the case in DS3? Should I focus on upgrading my starting sword?

Any good early game items (mainly weapons and armor) that I should pursue? Gems or weapon upgrades?

In BB I spent a lot of time grinding in order to level up before facing bosses, I was always about 5 levels above the "recommended" level when facing a boss. Should I do this in DS3 as well? It worked well for me in BB, I was pretty powerful and rarely died.

Is 3 Estes flasks the most I can carry? This has me nervous as fuck.

Do enemies respawn when I heal at a bonfire? Or just when I go to the fire church?

Any advice I should keep in mind? There seems to be a lot more items, options, menus, etc compared to BB. Not sure what I should be focusing on atm.

Edit: Also, how do I get back to the shrine when I travel places? In BB I'd clear an area to get souls, and then run back to the lantern to level up and buy stuff, and just keep repeating. Do you have to find the new bonfire every time you travel to a new place?

Made it to Pontiff. Gonna stop there for the night lol. I don't want to go to sleep in a rage.

So I just got dark souls 3 (first actual souls game for me) after playing Bllodborne for a bit, I chose the knight class. In BB I focused mainly on HP and Strength, what should I level up in DS3 if I plan on playing aggressively like in BB? In BB you could get health back by attacking enemies, and my play style focused a lot on that, and my endurance in BB was never a problem, DS3 seems to be a different beast. Im worried I'll die too quickly in Ds3 if I level up "wrong." I'd like my guy to be strong and tough since I'm early in the game. On my first level up visit I increased HP+2 and Strength+1, should I focus on this two mainly, and every other level on Endurance? Or am I screwing myself doing that?

The good news is that you picked the Knight class, which is definitely the best (easiest) class to start with. For beginners I always suggest the "quality build," which is a build that has equal stats in Strength and Dexterity. The other stats go into Vigor and Endurance. Here's a link to my quality build at Soul Level 120:

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/120743

Note: 40 is the "soft cap" (see the Diminishing Returns section) for Vigor, Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity, so that's why I don't level them above that.

The bad news is that you can't play this game like BB. This game is slower paced -- being too aggressive is probably the #1 thing that gets people killed in DS3. Take your time and lure enemies away from each other as much as you can, and be very selective with your attacks (never use all of your stamina). And while there are some items that give you HP back when you land successive attacks on an enemy, sadly the healing is pitiful so they're not worth it.

In BB in seemed that your starting weapon was viable through the entire game, with upgrades, is this also the case in DS3? Should I focus on upgrading my starting sword?

Any good early game items (mainly weapons and armor) that I should pursue? Gems or weapon upgrades?

Yes, the Knight's starting weapon is the Longsword, which is a fine weapon. That being said, I highly recommend you experiment with all kinds of weapons to find out which type you like best. In my build linked above, you'll see I use the Claymore, which is a greatsword that you find very early in the game (at High Wall of Lothric in that area where the dragon breathes fire everywhere). Awesome weapon. Gems don't matter that much early on, because infusions are based on your stats (and your stats are low at first), but with a quality build you'll want to be using Refined Gems on your weapons.

In BB I spent a lot of time grinding in order to level up before facing bosses, I was always about 5 levels above the "recommended" level when facing a boss. Should I do this in DS3 as well? It worked well for me in BB, I was pretty powerful and rarely died.

Sure, that sounds fine. I never paid much attention to the recommended levels until the end-game.

No, you will find Estus Shards as you progress through the game. Go to Andre (the blacksmith) at Firelink Shrine and reinforce your Estus Flask with them. Also, Undead Bone Shards make your Estus Flask heal more HP, so look out for those too. When you get one, go to Firelink Shrine and sit at the bonfire, and select the option to "Burn Undead Bone Shard."

Do enemies respawn when I heal at a bonfire? Or just when I go to the fire church?

Enemies respawn when you heal at any bonfire.

Any advice I should keep in mind? There seems to be a lot more items, options, menus, etc compared to BB. Not sure what I should be focusing on atm.

Don't worry too much about minmaxing your armor; armor isn't that important. Just always stay below 70% equip load -- going above that makes you roll slower.

squidyj

So I just bought DS3 on sale for $20 (last 3 games where $20 each actually, Bloodborne, DS3, and Witcher 3, three great games for the price of one), after Bloodborne and Witcher 3 rekindled my love for gaming. I've put about 25 hours into Bloodborne and I'm loving it so far. Should I start DS3 now, or finish Bloodborne? I'm level 32 in BB and am about to fight the Blood Starved Beast and finish searching the cathedral ward.

Any advice on how to approach the game when compared to BB? I know you have the shield which changes combat, but what about level design, item drops, the "hunters dream" equivalent, progression, etc?

Any recommended starting build in DS3? I prefer an aggressive play style, but I'm not the best at these games. In BB I beat the first two bosses on my first attempt, and most enemies are fairly easy 1v1, but if there are 2 or more enemies attacking me I get fucking rekt.

Are bonfires more plentiful in DS3 than Lanterns in BB? I think I'd enjoy the game more if I didn't worry so much about losing all my blood echoes and being so far away from a lantern. I'm hesitant to venture too far without leveling, I spend most of my time in BB grinding the same area so I can buy items and level up in order to be prepared. It's getting kinda old, do you have to do that in DS3?

These are my first two souls games btw.

I prefer Bloodborne by quite a bit but I dont know if that means I think you should finish it before you play DS3.

As for differences I would take thing slower and be more deliberate. really focus on avoiding taking unnecessary hits. I find in Dark souls it's easier to become resource starved if you're trying to make real progress between rests at the bonfire.
In bloodborne you can sort of take regular sized hits, hit back, recover health and generate blood vials along the way (not to mention the fact that you can stack 20 at once) so it's relatively easy to just sustain your way through things as you go along. Not so in Dark Souls 3, if you take a lot of unnecessary damage you'll find your estus flasks rapidly depleted.
Conversely I don't think things are as threatening as in Bloodborne generally. The game doesn't set you up with tricky pack pulls a lot of the time, and individual enemies don't really have quite the same ability to ruin you, so don't panic

I always recommend focusing on life first, reinforced weapons do well enough early on that you shouldnt need to invest much into damage stats right away.

As far as starting weapons you can probably get there with most of these weapons and longsword works out okay but unlike Bloodborne there are a lot of weapons in every category and some of them are simply outclassed so you probably wont want to be using your starting weapon all game unlike the threaded cane or saw cleaver.
also never use daggers. don't do it (not actually never, but they're pretty garbage at swinging and hitting things for damage)
Whips are also iffy.

NG+ was too easy once you were SL120 and had all the best weapons/builds, but NG+3 is a different ball game. Bosses that used to be easy as shit like Crystal Sage are actually hard to beat now. Abyss Watchers killed several poor Sunbros who didn't expect them to hit so hard. Now I'm on the bridge to Irithyll and that goddamn beast is wrecking my shit. Pontiff is going to be really scary.

The best is to see how buffed some NPC invasions are. Havel dosn't fat roll anymore, he has like infinite stamina and hits like a truck.

He almost like a boss now.

That sounds fine, is a good idea to focus on HP at first until you have a decent amount of it. If you go for a pure STR route level endurance as well, the stamina consumption in this game is way higher than in BB, specially if you use heavy weapon.

The long sword is perfectly fine, but I always found it a bit boring. But you shouldn't be afraid of leveling the weapon for now. You will end getting lots of material upgrades.

Not really, your knight armor is fine for now and in terms of weapons the long sword is also good enough, unless you want a specific type of weapon, I'd say don't worry.

Sure why not, but at some point you'll have a hard time leveling up until you get to the next area. Don't waste too much time, a couple of levels more or less is not gonna make a difference.

No, you find estus shards that upgrade the number of uses (search well!), once you get one go talk to the Blacksmith

When you rest on a bonfire

If you want to keep it simple just focus on either STR or DEX, you can level both and access most weapons too. One thing you should really keep in mind, is equip load, which don't exist in BB. Basically once you go past 70% you start fat rolling, which is slower and has less i-frames. You want to keep that number below 70%. Depending of the weight of you weapons and armor is easy to go past that threshold.

Edit: Also, how do I get back to the shrine when I travel places? In BB I'd clear an area to get souls, and then run back to the lantern to level up and buy stuff, and just keep repeating. Do you have to find the new bonfire every time you travel to a new place?

Every new place always has a bonfire at the start, don't worry. You can always use a Homeward Bone, which can teleport you to either the last bonfire or the firelink shrine.

Novocaine

I'm back. Wanted to play again but was waiting for a sale on Xbox for BF. Decided fuck it and bought it anyway when there wasn't one. Time to get 1000/1000 and check out the DLC. I'm legit excited to get the Greatsword again.

So has much changed since the first few months of release? Is Dark Sword still bullshit good? How about Anri's SS with a luck build?

I'm back. Wanted to play again but was waiting for a sale on Xbox for BF. Decided fuck it and bought it anyway when there wasn't one. Time to get 1000/1000 and check out the DLC. I'm legit excited to get the Greatsword again.

So has much changed since the first few months of release? Is Dark Sword still bullshit good? How about Anri's SS with a luck build?

Dark Sword and Anri's SS have both been nerfed, so they're no longer the bullshit they once were. Carthus Curved Sword was the new Dark Sword for quite a while, but it too got nerfed in a recent patch. Greatswords got buffed (they're a bit faster now). Oh, and poise got changed so it actually matters a bit more now.

Novocaine

Dark Sword and Anri's SS have both been nerfed, so they're no longer the bullshit they once were. Carthus Curved Sword was the new Dark Sword for quite a while, but it too got nerfed in a recent patch. Greatswords got buffed (they're a bit faster now). Oh, and poise got changed so it actually matters a bit more now.

Sucks about Anri's SS, it was fun. Good to hear about Greatswords and poise though. Hopefully FUGS is worth using over Yhorm's Machete now.

Just got the Butcher Knife now, getting my groove back.

Sucks about Anri's SS, it was fun. Good to hear about Greatswords and poise though. Hopefully FUGS is worth using over Yhorm's Machete now.

Just got the Butcher Knife now, getting my groove back.

Sadly, it isn't. I don't know if Ultra Greatswords got buffed. Greatswords like the Black Knight Sword and Hollowslayer Greatsword are very good now though.

Sarcasm

So I made two new characters,

Sorcerer and Cleric. I got them to the shrine. I am going to make a pyromancer next.

My main is a quality melee dude....I dunno which to choose -.-

**Which makes me wonder, what is a good weapon to use for DLC? My other backup save I was using a GS, I forgot which and I am wondering now what I should use?

Melchiah

Were they nerfed against enemies as well? If so, I really hate when PVP dictates the games.

5olid_5nake

Is it just me, or did Dark Souls 3 and some of it's boss fights get easier after the updates?
I hope not, because the first time I played it was at launch and I remember
Pontiff Sulyvahn
and
Old Demon King
giving me a really hard time, and now on the second playthrough I literary breezed through.

Maybe it's just my imagination :p.

Sande

Are there any good ways (specifically at level 1) to grind embers? I'm screwed against NK if I can't ember up.

Is it just me, or did Dark Souls 3 and some of it's boss fights get easier after the updates?
Pontiff Sulyvahn
and
Old Demon King
giving me a really hard time, and now on the second playthrough I literary breezed through.

I could almost swear Dancer got harder at some point. I haven't been paying attention to the the patch notes, but she definitely feels more aggressive than she did at launch.

One thing I've noticed with Souls bosses is that if you really struggle on a boss on your first playthrough, you'll pretty much never die to the same boss again. You just learn them so thoroughly.

Were they nerfed against enemies as well? If so, I really hate when PVP dictates the games.

Yes, nerfs apply to both PvE and PvP.

I don't have an issue with it, because it's stupid when one weapon is clearly the best in its class. The Carthus Curved Sword, for example, made all the other curved swords useless because it was clearly better than the rest.

Pontiff Sulyvahn
and
Old Demon King

Are you using a different build this time? Certain bosses are way easier to harder, depending on your weapon or build of choice (e.g., Dancer is easy as fuck to beat if you're a Pyromancer with the dark pyromancies).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Are there any good ways (specifically at level 1) to grind embers? I'm screwed against NK if I can't ember up.
Drop a coop sign in front of a boss. If you beat the boss, you not only become embered, but you also get an ember as a reward.

Are you using a different build this time? Certain bosses are way easier to harder, depending on your weapon or build of choice (e.g., Dancer is easy as fuck to beat if you're a Pyromancer with the dark pyromancies).
Definitely. Some builds make some bosses much easier than others. Pyros and bleed fuck her up, and are also excellent against Aldrich.

Carthus Cancer Sword
Autocorrect or Freudian slip? xD

RiggyRob

I could almost swear Dancer got harder at some point. I haven't been paying attention to the the patch notes, but she definitely feels more aggressive than she did at launch.

One thing I've noticed with Souls bosses is that if you really struggle on a boss on your first playthrough, you'll pretty much never die to the same boss again. You just learn them so thoroughly.

Assuming you can't use online, go to the Twin Princes bonfire and kill the two nearest Lothric Knights with red eyes using Great Chaos Fire Orb with the highest Item Discovery and increased Fire damage possible. It's how I grinded 85 Embers for our Ashes of Ariandel playthrough!

Cat Party

True. Except for NK. He doesn't really care if you know his moves.

Manu

True. Except for NK. He doesn't really care if you know his moves.

The thing about NK is that he hits too hard. Last time I fought him I changed armor after dying a couple times and got him on my first try after I did.

Turns out dying in 3 hits instead of 2 made all the difference.

Soooo... Did From ever improve summoning for Darkmoon and the other covenants? Literally the only reason why I haven't platinumed this game is because I refuse to farm for the items. I stopped playing around July.

Cat Party

Soooo... Did From ever improve summoning for Darkmoon and the other covenants? Literally the only reason why I haven't platinumed this game is because I refuse to farm for the items. I stopped playing around July.

No, I don't think this has ever changed. They should have made it like SunBros where if you use Way of the Blue and summon a helper, you both get a proof. That would mean more people would be running way of the blue, meaning more summons.

Deku Tree

It took me a while to get into the groove but once I figured it out farming those dark moon things actually was pretty easy and quick once you have all the right equipment.

Doing it drove me to drop the game though....

Splinter

I just beat the second boss, Vordt, he dropped "Soul of the Boreal Vally Vordt" which it appears I can either consume for 2,000 souls or create a "pontiffs left eye" (recover health after attacks). Is the Pontifs left eye worth it? Does it act like Bloodbornes health recovery? When can I have it made and how? Or should I just cash it in for 2,000 souls?

Deku Tree

I just beat the second boss, Vordt, he dropped "Soul of the Boreal Vally Vordt" which it appears I can either consume for 2,000 souls or create a "pontiffs left eye" (recover health after attacks). Is the Pontifs left eye worth it? Does it act like Bloodbornes health recovery? When can I have it made and how? Or should I just cash it in for 2,000 souls?

Never spend boss Souls. It will be pretty easy soon enough to grind 2000 souls.

squidyj

No, I don't think this has ever changed. They should have made it like SunBros where if you use Way of the Blue and summon a helper, you both get a proof. That would mean more people would be running way of the blue, meaning more summons.

It has changed for me at least. Back when I first played I had to make a separate steam account to invade or be summoned as a darkmoon, etc. Coming back with Ariandel I have no trouble doing this on my primary account.

It's not like bloodborne recovery, basically you swing and hit enemies repeatedly and you will infrequently gain 30hp back. if you get A LOT of hits against multiple enemies all at once you can be restored to full health but that's sort of a rare occurrence.

5olid_5nake

That could be it, I truly remember that I got my ass handed to me by my dear old friend Sulyvahn. Kinda like the Fume Knight.

Nope, I'm always using pretty much the same build, no magic and two-handed sword is how I roll.
But I suppose that I just memorized him good, as Sande mentioned.

Sande

You can get it from
Ludleth
after beating
the tree boss

The effect kicks in after about 3 or 4 consecutive hits and doesn't heal all that much iirc so it pretty much requires very fast weapons and even then I wouldn't say it's worth it. Although, there aren't that many rings to choose from early on so might as well. 2000 souls is nothing in the long run.

3iPHMRk.png

mrmickfran

That moment when you play this right after Bloodborne and you take damage from an enemy, then attack the enemy back expecting to restore some health.

Sarcasm

Really need tips on playing my pyromancer.

Do you really run around with flame in hand and axe in other? Doing pretty well, but the spear knight gets me.

Sande

Drop a coop sign in front of a boss. If you beat the boss, you not only become embered, but you also get an ember as a reward.
Can I really even get summoned as a level 1 with a +10 weapon? As far as I've understood, both of those stats need to be close to the host.

Do you really run around with flame in hand and axe in other? Doing pretty well, but the spear knight gets me.
You can use the pyromancy flame in either hand - it's up to you if you go weaponless, shieldless or just switch back and forth with both/either as and when needed. I think people largely use the left hand for catalysts so they can buff their weapons and/or use magic and weapon at the same time.

I think no-melee runs are fun, but haven't done one yet in DS3, the choice between yellow and blue Estus seems to limit these kind of runs, although you have healing miracles so I guess that balances out.

Effect

I usually have a shield in my left but the flame and weapon both on my right. This way I can always block. Recently I've started putting the flame on the left with the shield though because I can now buff my weapon with fire and both the flame and weapon need to be out to do this. Not sure if I will keep it like this though.

Top Bottom