• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Pimmsy tried taking him into Farron Keep the front way - he died trying to follow her down the ladder.

Technically, if you cleared out everything in the way the barrier would canonically be Irithyll.
I'd unlocked the door where the crystal lizard is and went in that way. I assumed he would leash at the door even though it was open but he was happy to follow me in.

I guess if you kill Abyss Watchers and Wolnir the way to Irithyll is clear for that matter even all the way to the Profaned Capital?!?! It's just if the AI would leash before then, I'm sure it would but it would be fun to give it a go any way! I've killed the Crystal Sage now so it's too later on this character, but something to test out on a future run!

RiggyRob

Huh? No, there'd be a fog at the boss doors (Abyss Watchers, Wolnir) blocking long before that.

Can summons not pass through boss areas already cleared? I imagine if you summoned people they wouldn't get stuck at those areas, right?

I'd unlocked the door where the crystal lizard is and went in that way. I assumed he would leash at the door even though it was open but he was happy to follow me in.

I guess if you kill Abyss Watchers and Wolnir the way to Irithyll is clear for that matter even all the way to the Profaned Capital?!?! It's just if the AI would leash before then, I'm sure it would but it would be fun to give it a go any way! I've killed the Crystal Sage now so it's too later on this character, but something to test out on a future run!

Irithyll's the canonical stopping point because he'd 'need' the Small Doll to pass through the barrier.

Irithyll's the canonical stopping point because he'd 'need' the Small Doll to pass through the barrier.
Ha! I never thought of that. Now I *really* want to try taking him there to see if he'll go through the barrier!

I've got to imagine he would leash at the Abyss Watchers boss door since I bet you can't take him in to that fight, and thus he wouldn't pass through the door even when the boss has been defeated. Testing must be done!

halfbeast

Banned
so, finally I think I got everything there is to get in my "first" playthrough (including anri's questline) and thought I'll go try and finish the game. I was playing with some of the chunkier weapons, since I focused only on strength and decided to main the dragonslayer axe.

man, took me 5 times, with/without npc/player's help to beat that sucker, emptied those 15 estus flasks in no time. such a frustrating fight! restored my save to check out the other endings, I thought I know how to deal with him now. failed multiple times again, switched to my standard long sword with some resin and beat him without any trouble. maybe used like 4 estus in the process. wtf!?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Can summons not pass through boss areas already cleared? I imagine if you summoned people they wouldn't get stuck at those areas, right?
Pretty sure they would. A lot of places that aren't even boss rooms are sealed off with a fog gate in coop, such as Rosaria's chamber, the path leading back inside the Pontiff boss room (from the Aldrich Faithful invasion area after it), Smouldering Lake from the Catacombs, the shortcut elevator near the Grand Archives boss room that leads back into Lothric Castle, etc.

Right, fog walls, why didn't we think of that before. Duh, I was thinking they'd only be there when a boss hasn't been defeated, but there's plenty of other fog walls to stop summons. Not playing online in DS3 is messing with my memory of co-op play!

I was just tripping around Irythyll with the NPC summons there and there's a fog gate up where you get that Doris' Gnawing miracle now I think about it and that's even in the same area. That's why it was unusual for Eygon to go to a completely separate area to where you summon him, I was expecting him to leash, but usually there would be a fog wall between areas too - it just so happens there isn't one between Farron Keep and Crucifixion Woods.

I guess that's going to put a stop to Eygon's travels to Irythyll :(

xviper

so i went back to this disgrace of a sequel to play some Undead Match arena from the DLC

WOW, it hasn't even been a month since this horrible DLC came out and the Arena is already DEAD, struggling to find a match

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
so i went back to this disgrace of a sequel to play some Undead Match arena from the DLC

WOW, it hasn't even been a month since this horrible DLC came out and the Arena is already DEAD, struggling to find a match
Platform?

On PS4 it has slowed down somewhat, but I can still find matches fairly quickly depending on the hour.

Also, huh, wat @ the bolded...

xviper

Platform?

On PS4 it has slowed down somewhat, but I can still find matches fairly quickly depending on the hour.

Also, huh, wat @ the bolded...

on PS4

honestly the only good thing in Dark souls 3 is the PVP, and it's a huge downgrade from Dark souls 2's PVP, but at least it's still fun to play unlike the base game

the DLC arena is pretty awesome but it's already dead

Finally beat the Dancer. Fuck doing that shit early again, took goddamn forever to whittle down that health. But I did it! Now on to Yhorm the Giant!

Side note, I really want to find some dex weapons as viable as my sharp sellsword twinblades but I have not. Seriously starting to fiend for experimentation. Tried a sharp great scythe but it's slow as hell and does not feel like I have as many offensive options as the twinblades.

6for8

Right, fog walls, why didn't we think of that before. Duh, I was thinking they'd only be there when a boss hasn't been defeated, but there's plenty of other fog walls to stop summons. Not playing online in DS3 is messing with my memory of co-op play!

I was just tripping around Irythyll with the NPC summons there and there's a fog gate up where you get that Doris' Gnawing miracle now I think about it and that's even in the same area. That's why it was unusual for Eygon to go to a completely separate area to where you summon him, I was expecting him to leash, but usually there would be a fog wall between areas too - it just so happens there isn't one between Farron Keep and Crucifixion Woods.

I guess that's going to put a stop to Eygon's travels to Irythyll :(

I had to see what you could do with him, never even considered taking him into the abyss fight.

Can't use a ladder.

He is blocked at the halfway bonfire.

Can take him to the Abyss Watchers but he is fog blocked. He still gets his hits in and draws aggro.

https://youtu.be/lnimqFgN_kM

After they are dead you can still summon him but he remains fog blocked and is sent home when your start the stairs to the catacombs.

https://youtu.be/6_ZT0kEadAc

I had to see what you could do with him, never even considered taking him into the abyss fight.

Can't use a ladder.

He is blocked at the halfway bonfire.

Can take him to the Abyss Watchers but he is fog blocked. He still gets his hits in and draws aggro.

https://youtu.be/lnimqFgN_kM

After they are dead you can still summon him but he remains fog blocked and is sent home when your start the stairs to the catacombs.

https://youtu.be/6_ZT0kEadAc
Ha, that's still cool though! Thanks for doing the testing :)
Probably can have some fun with him drawing agro with the Abyss Watchers at least, but I guess his travels end there!

Tarkus

How does it compare to caitha's chime? That said I mostly use dark pyros for now, but I wanna try them all eventually.
Not able to do the research right now, but I believe Caitha's outdamages Sunless by a bit, yet I don't recall it being that significant. Sunless would be more for PvP because of its weapon art.

Not able to do the research right now, but I believe Caitha's outdamages Sunless by a bit, yet I don't recall it being that significant. Sunless would be more for PvP because of its weapon art.

Exactly this, you probably want Sunless, since, IMO Unfaltering Prayer is much more worth than a few points of spellbuff.

Tarkus

Sick of shitty phantom range on all the newer dlc weapons.

One more gripe: Why can't one team be the same color phantom? I can never tell who is on my team.

god this game is so good. i have been playing DS2 also revisiting it for the first time in a while, but DSIII is just too good looking, w too nice level design, such a nice attention to detail, and the best/fastest/smoothest combat mechanics of the series imo. i still havent beaten Bloodborne and am very much looking forward to playing Demon's Souls one day.

So for someone who is new to the series, would this be a good title to start with? I've never played any of them but for Tuesday it'll be 20 at GameStop so I thought I would buy it and try it.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
after the last DLC comes out and we get the inevitable goty edition do we think it will just add the dlc or they will rework some things? didn't SOTFS improve graphics/performance and change the location of some items/enemies?

i want to replay DS3 and i'm not sure if i should just do it now or wait until the GOTY. it would be cool if they tweaked some things about to make it feel fresher to people returning to the game.

So for someone who is new to the series, would this be a good title to start with? I've never played any of them but for Tuesday it'll be 20 at GameStop so I thought I would buy it and try it.

i'd suggest playing in order of release. you can get DS1/2 for dirt cheap. however i don't think it really matters. if anything maybe play DS1 then DS3 if you are interested in the lore. play DS2 first or last. i think if i had played DS3 first i'd have found it difficult going back to DS1/2. also keep in mind DS3 is the shortest game. DS2 was longest for me.

grmlin

I played Bloodborne first, and I couldn't get into DS1 at all after that.

I tried multiple times, but it somehow didn't click.

DS3 is a different beast though, I enjoyed it a lot, and would absolutely recommend it.

As a sidenote, how is DS2 if I didn't enjoy DS1 that much?

Veelk

Banned
Those are interesting responses. I played bloodborne, then dark souls 3. I'm currently waiting to upgrade my pc to dark souls at 60 FPS. It's taking longer than expected. But I'm playing demons souls on my ps3 in the meantime. I do think it's far more boring, but I'm playing a mage character which is the most boring way to play it and will basically never do again. I think it'd be fine if I had a decent build instead.

Tarkus

I really hope the DLC doesn't come out in February. There's another action RPG game that will consume my time for months coming out.....

kc44135

Hey guys, I was wondering what the general consensus of Dark Souls 3 was here on Gaf? I honestly ended up having to pass on Dark Souls 3 when it was initially released due to sheer fatigue with the Souls formula (bear in mind that over the last few years I played Des, Dks1, Dks2 and it's remaster, Bloodborne, and all DLC's multiple times). Now, I feel like it's finally time to jump back in to Souls, especially with all the Black Friday sales for Dks3. So, how was it?

kc44135

I really hope the DLC doesn't come out in February. There's another action RPG game that will consume my time for months coming out.....

I think I know which game your talking about. I was just thinking about it last NIght. OH, I can't wait to play it!

Hey guys, I was wondering what the general consensus of Dark Souls 3 was here on Gaf? I honestly ended up having to pass on Dark Souls 3 when it was initially released due to sheer fatigue with the Souls formula (bear in mind that over the last few years I played Des, Dks1, Dks2 and it's remaster, Bloodborne, and all DLC's multiple times). Now, I feel like it's finally time to jump back in to Souls, especially with all the Black Friday sales for Dks3. So, how was it?

Is great, my GOTY so far. Is the most polished DS game overall and offers, now with the DLC, the best PvP experience.

Yes, it feels familiar but still manages to put a few surprises and I feel like in the end is the best souls game and the one I put out more hours into.

Is not perfect, but the lows aren't as low as past DS game, so that gives it the edge, even if dosn't end being a memorable experience as your first DS game.

i'd suggest playing in order of release. you can get DS1/2 for dirt cheap. however i don't think it really matters. if anything maybe play DS1 then DS3 if you are interested in the lore. play DS2 first or last. i think if i had played DS3 first i'd have found it difficult going back to DS1/2. also keep in mind DS3 is the shortest game. DS2 was longest for me.
Agree with this.

The combat develops throughout the series, and whilst they play similar (well DS2 is the black sheep of the family) you might find you are missing the refinements made later in the series. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 still play great, they're certainly not superseded by DS3. In terms of story, they can be enjoyed entirely separately as great action RPGs, but obviously you will get more out of it if you play them in order. DS1 and 3 are especially connected with tons of call backs (DS3 has a ton of fan service to all the games in the series even).

kc44135

Is great, my GOTY so far. Is the most polished DS game overall and offers, now with the DLC, the best PvP experience.

Yes, it feels familiar but still manages to put a few surprises and I feel like in the end is the best souls game and the one I put out more hours into.

Is not perfect, but the lows aren't as low as past DS game, so that gives it the edge, even if dosn't end being a memorable experience as your first DS game.

Cool, I'm definitely looking forward to getting back into Souls now that I've taken a bit of a break from it.

laxu

I'd say start with Dark Souls 1 and then jump into 3. DS3 has a lot of stuff related to the first game. For me DS3 was my first DS game after playing thru Bloodborne as my first Souls game. I didn't get much from the lore in the game until I played thru DS1.

laxu

It's still not as good as Bloodborne to me but I've managed to sink close to 200 hours into DS3 so it is definitely "very good, skeleton" level game. Easily one of the best games this year.

ced

I know it gets asked a lot but has From mentioned any PS4 Pro support?

Bloodborne and DS3 could really benefit from some better image quality, I don't see how doing a locked 30 FPS with better AA is that difficult.

kc44135

It's still not as good as Bloodborne to me but I've managed to sink close to 200 hours into DS3 so it is definitely "very good, skeleton" level game. Easily one of the best games this year.

Yeah, Bloodborne is easily my favorite "SoulsBorne" game too. Great to hear that DS3 is awesome, though. Can't wait jump in.

grmlin

Yeah, Bloodborne is easily my favorite "SoulsBorne" game too. Great to hear that DS3 is awesome, though. Can't wait jump in.

You'll have a great time!

I think DS3 includes lots of the mechanics introduced by BB, and many fans of the original didn't like that too much. That's what I'm thinking though.

what I really don't like in DS3 is the PvP. I really don't understand why people like that so much. Watched many streams/youtube videos the past months and it's mostly always a laggy mess. It was one HELL of a laggy mess for me most of the time.

laxu

You'll have a great time!

I think DS3 includes lots of the mechanics introduced by BB, and many fans of the original didn't like that too much. That's what I'm thinking though.

Coming from Bloodborne I had a lot of difficulty getting into DS3 because I was no good at blocking and parrying from close up. My rolling game was on point though.

what I really don't like in DS3 is the PvP. I really don't understand why people like that so much. Watched many streams/youtube videos the past months and it's mostly always a laggy mess. It was one HELL of a laggy mess for me most of the time.

I see the appeal but I got seriously owned in the arena despite being pretty good at PvE. I felt I was getting parried in the weirdest of situations and generally could not get any hits thru. Just found it frustrating to play. I don't mind the ingame invasions that much.

grmlin

Coming from Bloodborne I had a lot of difficulty getting into DS3 because I was no good at blocking and parrying from close up. My rolling game was on point though.

I see the appeal but I got seriously owned in the arena despite being pretty good at PvE. I felt I was getting parried in the weirdest of situations and generally could not get any hits thru. Just found it frustrating to play. I don't mind the ingame invasions that much.

Oh sure, it's quite different of course. But compared to DS1 it feels more like Bloodborne with shields and bows 😬 (Just my opinion of course)

DSIII PvP is about mindgames and positioning. Mindgames as reading your oponent, predicting his moves and understanding his behaviour and moves to act accordingly.

If you are getting parried is because you are becoming predictable.

I thought I was done with this game, but I made a new character and started playing again. Souls combat is just too good, especially after having just played through The Witcher 3. I'm seriously worried that I'll never be able to fully enjoy another non-Souls RPG again... the combat is just so superior.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I played Bloodborne first, and I couldn't get into DS1 at all after that.

I tried multiple times, but it somehow didn't click.

DS3 is a different beast though, I enjoyed it a lot, and would absolutely recommend it.

As a sidenote, how is DS2 if I didn't enjoy DS1 that much?
You probably won't enjoy the combat that much in DS2 if you didn't like DS1 and strongly prefer DS3 and Bloodborne. The latter two are much faster-paced, whereas the former two are more slower-paced (I imagine that's what bugged you about it?) and more methodical.

Tarkus

I think I know which game your talking about. I was just thinking about it last NIght. OH, I can't wait to play it!
96e6295.gif

Top Bottom