• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Damn I thought Sulyvahn was tough but I managed to get through using coop but Aldrich is absolutely wrecking my shit.

Ive tried for 2 days and died dozens of times to him. I simply dont do enough damage and he kills me in 2 hits.

Jombie

Damn I thought Sulyvahn was tough but I managed to get through using coop but Aldrich is absolutely wrecking my shit.

Ive tried for 2 days and died dozens of times to him. I simply dont do enough damage and he kills me in 2 hits.

What are you using?

laxu

Pretty much the only attack that can kill you right away is the arrows. You can hide behind a pillar or roll sideways a lot to avoid it. Otherwise the best tactic is to just stay close. When he teleports he usually comes out at the opposite end of the arena so if you run to the center you should be able to reach him again quickly.

Sande

I don't know how strict the policy is for DLC stuff, so I'll play it safe. It's mainly just boss names.

I finally had the guts to face Gravetender and Friede on my no death character. Friede was surprisingly effortless but Gravetender gave me trouble when I couldn't kill him fast enough. So it was a pretty hectic 1v2 for a moment. Smooth sailing 1 on 1 with the wolf.

Oh, and the roots with all the archers and such was fucking dreadful.

I also started a lvl 1 character, which is a first for me in Souls games (I beat BB without leveling vigor, but that's not quite the same). It's pretty funny how close the balance is to what I'd actually want it to be now. This is definitely closer to the sweet spot for me than leveling up normally.

Just Nameless King and F
riede
left. F feels like it could happen on any run, but I can't even get to the second phase of NK. Everything one-shots me and I always get hit at some point. Gotta git gud I suppose.

Just Nameless King and F
riede
left. F feels like it could happen on any run, but I can't even get to the second phase of NK. Everything one-shots me and I always get hit at some point. Gotta git gud I suppose.
Are you only attacking
the dragon's head
? That is the weakspot.

Congrats on getting that far though, my first run was a SL1 character and I gave up at Pontiff. I don't think I have it in me any more to do SL1!

Sande

Are you only attacking
the dragon's head
? That is the weakspot.

Congrats on getting that far though, my first run was a SL1 character and I gave up at Pontiff. I don't think I have it in me any more to do SL1!
Yes. NK just always gets me with some cheeky attack. I guess I'm just too used to rushing through it and getting hit once or twice before embering for the 2nd phase.

Ferr986

Grab a Pyromancy flame, level it up, grab Great Chaos Fire Ball or Bed Chaos Vestiges and watch him burn.

You don't even need to respec, fucker is stupidly weak to fire.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I meant in souls games in general. So more things are effected by it?
Well, here's a breakdown of how good/bad bleed is in each game:

- Demon's Souls: pretty useless. It's a very slow DOT, weaker than poison. The only strong DOT from bleed is from the special katana Makoto, but Makoto drains your own HP faster as a trade-off. Not great.

- Dark Souls: not too great, but has certain situational uses. "Fat" enemies seem vulnerable to it; the Stray/Firesage demons and Smough are weak to it, and Stray Demon can be destroyed with a weak, unupgraded weapon so long as it has a bleed effect (e.g. uchigatana, barbed straight sword), it's that good against it. A lot of enemies are immune, however, or will die from regular hits from your weapon before bleed even kicks in.

- Dark Souls II: pretty useless. It has the effect of also lowering the enemy's stamina bar temporarily, but it takes too long to kick in and most bosses seem immune. My friend made a bleed build to experiment with it, and found it very wanting.

- Dark Souls III: pretty damn good. Unlike in past games, only a minority of bosses and enemies are immune, and it's very effective on many bosses and high-HP enemies (like NPC invaders, the wolf-crocodile beasts in Irythill, big armoured guys in the DLC, etc.), taking huge chunks of health at the time every few hits. On some builds it can take only 2 hits to kick in with the Carthus Rouge consumable. Ironically the "bleed" infusion isn't very good, since it can't be buffed with carthus rouge; best to use regular upgrades or the hollow upgrade on a Luck build, since it makes bleed more effective (especially if you are at 99 hollowing).

Corvians are simply the worst. Not only do they go batshit crazy on you, but they're just so goddamn creepy and make those terrible noises while they're doing it. Nightmare fuel.

NeoBob688

The patches implementation for this game on Steam is terrible...it is a freaking 62 MB update but takes forever as it sits accessing the disk for who knows what. It would be faster just to re-download a huge chunk of the game.

Nere

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS UPDATE? so it is 84mb but was taking years doing some things on disk so I figured I will let it do it's thing and will come back later for it. I come back later for it and what do I see? It still isn't done because not enough space apparently but I had like 30 gb empty that can't be right, so guess what my hard drive is full all 30 gb gone? wtf is wrong with these patches?

Done with the game but it kinda lacked the certain something DeS, DaS and Bloodborne had. I'm very much looking forward to what FROM will develop in the future. I guess they'll stick more or less to Soul-ish games but if they can modify them a bit like Bloodborne, that would help. The Souls fatigue (I finished all games) is very real honestly. The releases are also getting too frequent. Good on them for being prolific (certainly better than waiting forever) but it does have its downsides.

Nere

So I had no choice but to delete DS3 since my hard drive had reached 0 space and couldn't do anything. Listen this the game takes 20gb on hard drive normally, after I deleted it though I freed 55 gb on my hard drive so the patch took 35 FUCKING GIGABYTES OF SPACE wtf is From doing over there? Absolutely embarassing to be forced to delete the game to use my computer.

Akainu

Started with depraved, never done it before. Clubbed mutant boss to death like a defenseless group of baby seals no problem. Then I took out the samurai like nothing. Lets see how fair I go without dying.

Pixieking

Banned
So I had no choice but to delete DS3 since my hard drive had reached 0 space and couldn't do anything. Listen this the game takes 20gb on hard drive normally, after I deleted it though I freed 55 gb on my hard drive so the patch took 35 FUCKING GIGABYTES OF SPACE wtf is From doing over there? Absolutely embarassing to be forced to delete the game to use my computer.

It's not just From, so it's not particularly their fault. Steam patches require space to decompress and patch files, so depending upon the dev, the engine used and the specific game, it can take-up quite a lot of space. I uninstalled Payday 2 for the exact same reason you uninstalled DS3 - every patch (and there's was one every couple of weeks at one stage) required at least 25gb space free, on top of the 10 or 15 that the game required as standard.

It's better than it used to be, though - before they changed the back-end, you used to have to download all the updated files form the Steam server. Repeatedly downloading the entirety of The Witcher 2 when they patched it (10gb or more?) wasn't fun.

grmlin

You probably won't enjoy the combat that much in DS2 if you didn't like DS1 and strongly prefer DS3 and Bloodborne. The latter two are much faster-paced, whereas the former two are more slower-paced (I imagine that's what bugged you about it?) and more methodical.

Hey, thanks. Yeah, maybe. Everything feels so clunky and complicated... I'll skip DS II then for the moment.

The first dlc wasn't the last one right? How many more are there? Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of all time (love ds2 and like ds1 too) but I don't wanna make the same mistake of playing the dlc for the first time in ng+.

It's got super phantom range in PvP. Like stupid range

Really? I don't feel a lot of phantom range, maybe a bit, but the standard for straight swords.

You know what has super phantom range? The warpick, that thing should barely reach more than a few inches given it's model, and the things outranges some straight swords and shit...

Ughhh I just wanna play them all in one go

Edit: Is the season pass on sale at least?

No, the deluxe edition is on sale (base game + season pass) but not the season pass itself.

Really? I don't feel a lot of phantom range, maybe a bit, but the standard for straight swords.

You know what has super phantom range? The warpick, that thing should barely reach more than a few inches given it's model, and the things outranges some straight swords and shit...

No, the deluxe edition is on sale (base game + season pass) but not the season pass itself.

For ps4? what outlets?

Tarkus

I feel like all the decent dlc weapons have way more range than they should. Especially the Onyx Blade.

Splinter

So I just bought DS3 on sale for $20 (last 3 games where $20 each actually, Bloodborne, DS3, and Witcher 3, three great games for the price of one), after Bloodborne and Witcher 3 rekindled my love for gaming. I've put about 25 hours into Bloodborne and I'm loving it so far. Should I start DS3 now, or finish Bloodborne? I'm level 32 in BB and am about to fight the Blood Starved Beast and finish searching the cathedral ward.

Any advice on how to approach the game when compared to BB? I know you have the shield which changes combat, but what about level design, item drops, the "hunters dream" equivalent, progression, etc?

Any recommended starting build in DS3? I prefer an aggressive play style, but I'm not the best at these games. In BB I beat the first two bosses on my first attempt, and most enemies are fairly easy 1v1, but if there are 2 or more enemies attacking me I get fucking rekt.

Are bonfires more plentiful in DS3 than Lanterns in BB? I think I'd enjoy the game more if I didn't worry so much about losing all my blood echoes and being so far away from a lantern. I'm hesitant to venture too far without leveling, I spend most of my time in BB grinding the same area so I can buy items and level up in order to be prepared. It's getting kinda old, do you have to do that in DS3?

These are my first two souls games btw.

Jobbs

Banned
So I just bought DS3 on sale for $20 (last 3 games where $20 each actually, Bloodborne, DS3, and Witcher 3, three great games for the price of one), after Bloodborne and Witcher 3 rekindled my love for gaming. I've put about 25 hours into Bloodborne and I'm loving it so far. Should I start DS3 now, or finish Bloodborne? I'm level 32 in BB and am about to fight the Blood Starved Beast and finish searching the cathedral ward.

Any advice on how to approach the game when compared to BB? I know you have the shield which changes combat, but what about level design, item drops, the "hunters dream" equivalent, progression, etc?

Any recommended starting build in DS3? I prefer an aggressive play style, but I'm not the best at these games. In BB I beat the first two bosses on my first attempt, and most enemies are fairly easy 1v1, but if there are 2 or more enemies attacking me I get fucking rekt.

Are bonfires more plentiful in DS3 than Lanterns in BB? I think I'd enjoy the game more if I didn't worry so much about losing all my blood echoes and being so far away from a lantern. I'm hesitant to venture too far without leveling, I spend most of my time in BB grinding the same area so I can buy items and level up in order to be prepared. It's getting kinda old, do you have to do that in DS3?

Souls 3 is awesome. I recommend starting knight for most builds. The starting gear and stat distribution will make things a lot easier for a first timer and the long sword will feel fairly Bloodborne like. Alternatively mercenary is nearly as stat efficient and also a fine choice. If you like fast aggressive combat you'll want STR Dex or dex weapons.

There's plenty of bonfires.

I was going to suggest not using a shield, which is totally viable, but you might want to keep one around. Get used to switching between one and two handed though (two handed does more damage) - two handed also allows you to use weapons you don't have the strength to one-hand, and you can block with your weapon but obviously it doesn't reduce as much damage as most shields, which is where learning to switch back and forth on the fly helps, but in a pinch you can still block with your weapon if needed.

There are tons of bonfires in DS3, too many imo - but you won't have to worry about going too far without one in most areas.

Tarkus

I had not used a shield since Demon's Souls, but the Black Knight Shield +5 in this game has changed the way I play recently. It's stability is insane for a medium shield. The 85% fire reduction is good too for all the pyros running around now.

Tarkus

Just throwing this out there: There's a major East vs West worldwide PvP tourney next weekend, Saturday I believe, hosted by Barneezy Jones on the PS4. It's supposed to have the best Pvp'ers from both ends. Will post twitch link when available.

There's also *possibly* a tourney officially sponsored by Namco-Bandai in the works on PC. This one hasn't been confirmed yet, but a high level PvP'er just told me they have reached out to him about it.

Tarkus

So back from vocation, any weapon nerfs?
No weapon nerfs in the recent patch, but they fixed some odd things that would happen in the arena, e.g. not getting an estus when you kill an opponent in brawls. I updated the OP with the most recent patch.

Top Bottom