• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Cat Party

Really need tips on playing my pyromancer.

Do you really run around with flame in hand and axe in other? Doing pretty well, but the spear knight gets me.
Just finished my first Pyro run. I went with the flame in the right hand, shield in the left. I also ran a sword for dealing with smaller threats. It's a perfectly respectable way to play the whole game. I never bothered buffing my sword with spells.

Make sure you get Chaos Orb and/or Vestiges as soon as possible, and then get the Black Orb. Black Orb is the best spell in the game for PVE.

RiggyRob

Posted this in the Ashes of Ariandel OT, but in case you're not subbed to it - I made a video combining Ashes of Ariandel and Frozen's Let It Go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaWTJ9lUC-k

To be honest, I was impressed at how well the song fit the video, and it works on so many levels - Friede as Elsa, Ariandel = Arendelle and so on. There's more connections than you think!

Sande

Add me up on PSN (same as GAF) and we can sort it out tomorrow sometime, if that's alright?
I decided to give it a few tries and I actually did it! It's so much more manageable when you can be embered all the time and aren't one-shot by everything.

Thanks again for the embers, SDR! Should be enough for the second DLC, too. Although I'm kinda hoping it will be sadistically difficult.

jlALw9j.jpg

Mistel

Banned
think no-melee runs are fun, but haven't done one yet in DS3, the choice between yellow and blue Estus seems to limit these kind of runs, although you have healing miracles so I guess that balances out.
I wager its about the same too although a lot different from 1&2 in build though.

Splinter

So far I've put 20 hours into both DS3 and Bloodborne. I'm loving them both, can't decide which I like more. I'm struggling to choose between which one I play. I love how each time I spawn at a bonfire I feel a sense of anxiety and adrenaline, knowing I can lose all my souls, knowing that each encounter matters, and actively seeking out each item. In most RPGs I play items and upgrades are an afterthought, in DS3/BB it feels like I NEED each item in order to progress, this makes finding items much more rewarding. I debate on which stat to upgrade every time I level up, I research which stat I need so I don't waste my precious souls/echoes, and grinding actually feels good because I know I'm working towards something I want. I actually feel like bosses are bosses and not just regular enemies that are larger, with more HP. I think Ds3/BB has spoiled me, when I go back and play Witcher 3 or FFXV I don't experience the feeling of intensity or reward like I do in the souls game (although I still think they are great games, Witcher 3 is one of my Goats).

Anyways, I want to know how you guys play the souls games. So far I've been doing a lot of grinding and stat building. In both games I'll explore an area and keep killing enemies until I level up a few times, then I'll go to the next bonfire area and repeat. I always spend my souls, never save them. I've watched guides online and these guys have 50,000-100,000+ souls/echoes on them at all times. Is their something I should be saving up for? Do you seek out the next boss fight immediately after you finish the last? Or do you explore the area and grind for a few hours before?

Also, how do I do side quests? I've recruited a few people in DS3 but they never mention a quest. Tbh I have no idea what the main quest is, I just go through the game looking for bonfires, items, and the next boss. I have no idea what the story is or what I'm supposed to be doing.

squidyj

nah don't worry about saving up too much, people tend to self-limit their level at a certain point 100-120, this is partly for pvp reasons and partly for builds to continue to feel distinct. If you let your levels go all the way up everything becomes sort of indistinct

these players tend to be at level.
I'm keeping my level low right now too so I can invade as a watchdog of farron.

As for how I play, I don't farm but I like the satisfaction of fully clearing a zone, it's not right to me to leave loot in the zone.

Sande

Also, how do I do side quests? I've recruited a few people in DS3 but they never mention a quest. Tbh I have no idea what the main quest is, I just go through the game looking for bonfires, items, and the next boss. I have no idea what the story is or what I'm supposed to be doing.
Side quests are really obtuse and often require you to do things in a very specific order. For example, some side quests require you to return to an arbitrary spot in an already cleared level without getting any kind of hints.

It's very easy to miss most (or all) of them without a guide.

Also, Souls games don't really have quests per say, you just meet characters throughout the game and help them or do what they say (or not, up to you).

squidyj

yeah to be bluntly honest with sidequests you're better off looking this shit up online.

A lot of it is unintuitive and it can be relatively easy to out and out kill a sidequest by doing something wrong or progressing too far.

Spoiler about a sidequest for people who give a shit
If you kill the watchers of the abyss, yoel of londor will die, he will just die, end of that quest branch, but if you accept strength from him 5 times before you beat the watchers he'll also die but another character will show up and you can carry on the quest.

Dahaka

If I'd make a new character next to heavy, pyro, hollow, what would I make?

Any interesting build that is not covered by those (don't say refined :p, my heavy char was refined until recently? Sure I could rosaria around but I have a 4th slot, so why not?

Question. If I backup my save, drop a friend Soul of a Great Champions, then I put my backup save into the folder so I have those SoaGC again, have my friend drop what I dropped him, back-up the save again and rinse and repeat. IS THAT BANNABLE?!

6for8

If I'd make a new character next to heavy, pyro, hollow, what would I make?

Any interesting build that is not covered by those (don't say refined :p, my heavy char was refined until recently? Sure I could rosaria around but I have a 4th slot, so why not?

A pure caster build is great for coop after you get the rings and spells. Level 36 (41 without ring) will give you 48 INT and 19 ATT, enough mana for 3 casts of css. That level can get random coop in every area.

I haven't done this in 3 but in the previous games I would do builds around a specific weapon, just leveling the stats needed to wield it and nothing else. A BKGA build in 1, santier's spear in 2 and a pure white North Regalia in Demons among my favourites.

Sarcasm

If you have quality as in

• STR 45
  • DEX 43

With carthus curved sword, would I take Regular+10 or Refined+10?

• Regular +10 is 230 AR with D/C
  • Refined +10 is 207 AR with C/C

How do you know if the C in refined for STR is actually better than the D in regular for STR?

squidyj

If you have quality as in

• STR 45
  • DEX 43

With carthus curved sword, would I take Regular+10 or Refined+10?

• Regular +10 is 230 AR with D/C
  • Refined +10 is 207 AR with C/C

How do you know if the C in refined for STR is actually better than the D in regular for STR?

compare the stats on your character, check mugenmonkey, or another online calculator,
the letter scalings are quite vague and not always what they appear to be. odds are very good that refined is better though.

Sarcasm

compare the stats on your character, check mugenmonkey, or another online calculator,
the letter scalings are quite vague and not always what they appear to be. odds are very good that refined is better though.

How do you actually view damage? All I see is defense after setting things up.

Tarkus

How do you actually view damage? All I see is defense after setting things up.
The Refined version is better for almost every build. Use the game to view damage. I don't think mugenmonkey ever had that feature with this game (to see damage from scaling)

Sarcasm

I just went refined.

Doing the DLC and I got to the tower thing with big dudes and died. Now I can't get past the wolf packs. I dunno lol -.-

How do you stop them as melee from howling?

grmlin

After I put DS3 away for some time I want to do the DLC with a fresh char and wwould like to try a strength build this time. I started a pyromancer some weeks ago, but that's not my thing.

Any weapon recommendations? I just reached Farrons Keep and got the great club. Is it any good? Found the great Axe (I think it's called, dropped on the high wall), the winged knights halberd and some other weapons too.

Using a broadsword right now but want to to something different asap. Early weapons are preferred ATM.

Thanks!

Dahaka

After I put DS3 away for some time I want to do the DLC with a fresh char and wwould like to try a strength build this time. I started a pyromancer some weeks ago, but that's not my thing.

Any weapon recommendations? I just reached Farrons Keep and got the great club. Is it any good? Found the great Axe (I think it's called, dropped on the high wall), the winged knights halberd and some other weapons too.

Using a broadsword right now but want to to something different asap. Early weapons are preferred ATM.

Thanks!

Great Club is a damn good weapon. The R1 followup from the R2 for instance is very fast. I advice to stick to it and make yourself familiar to its greatness.

Other good weapons are Heavy Warpick, Heavy Pickaxe with Leo Ring, actually anything that scales best with strength and heavy. Yhorm's GM, Greataxe for instance or Great Hammers in general.

Cat Party

Thanks! Never tried a slow weapon in PvE. Will take some time to get used to I think.

Just my two cents, but pure strength builds are a little unappealing in this game. DS2 had great weapons for strength builds, but not so much DS3. Unless the recent patches changed things, greatswords (which are best used with strength and dexterity balanced) are the best class of weapon for PVE. They are slow, but worth it. Axes and hammers are just a touch slower, with no appreciable benefit. Again, just my two cents.

Kieli

Just my two cents, but pure strength builds are a little unappealing in this game. DS2 had great weapons for strength builds, but not so much DS3. Unless the recent patches changed things, greatswords (which are best used with strength and dexterity balanced) are the best class of weapon for PVE. They are slow, but worth it. Axes and hammers are just a touch slower, with no appreciable benefit. Again, just my two cents.

I don't know what the patches have done, but I'm not skillful enough to make strength weapons worth it. I loved being an fortress in DS1, hulked out in Havel's with my Black Knight UGS and Artorias' greatshield.

But that'd get me killed so fast in DSIII. So I gave up, found some light armor, and farmed the Dark Sword and brought it to +9. Game went from really hard to really easy when I did that.

grmlin

I went with the Winged Knight Halberd and it's pretty fun. My stamina is simply not there yet to enjoy the great club.
Does a halberd has some sort of sweet spot for maximum damage?

Dahaka

strength builds are limited in weapon variety as many weapons scale better with refined but they hit very hard with the weapons that scale well with strength and you can invest all your dex points into vitality/poise and batter through other people's faster weapons. Some weapons don't lose too much. (i.e.@SL140: 66 strength vs. 50/40 the BKGS only loses -25)

I'm in ng++ with my strength char and battle everything with a great club or I smash stuff into pieces with Yhorm's. I don't get people that go back to the Dark Sword. Imo twohanding slow(er) weapons and especially not relying on shields makes you better and the game more challenging.

grmlin

I really needed something fresh for my new char. That R1 spam got somewhat boring in the end.

No idea if it's viable though, as I can swing the much faster short swords forever and probably deal way more damage this way.

Splinter

Does the shield work to block the Boss Crystal Sages magic beams/spells? I was killed for the first time the whole game by this boss... Twice. Wasted my blue pelts on those two fights and have none left. I'm wondering if I should use the shield or who hand my weapon. I have the Silver Eagle Kite shield and the default Knight shield, and a few that I picked up along the way. I know I can beat him but I want to do it quick, so I don't waste anymore items. I get him down to about 1-5% health and then his clones get me. I'll also get the Knight who was guarding the girl to co-op him with me.

Mistel

Banned
I went with the Winged Knight Halberd and it's pretty fun. My stamina is simply not there yet to enjoy the great club.
Does a halberd has some sort of sweet spot for maximum damage?
Halberd do have a sweet spot usually it is just the blade but some have a bit iffy hitboxes towards the hilt so it is best to aim for the tip.

6for8

Does the shield work to block the Boss Crystal Sages magic beams/spells? I was killed for the first time the whole game by this boss... Twice. Wasted my blue pelts on those two fights and have none left. I'm wondering if I should use the shield or who hand my weapon. I have the Silver Eagle Kite shield and the default Knight shield, and a few that I picked up along the way. I know I can beat him but I want to do it quick, so I don't waste anymore items. I get him down to about 1-5% health and then his clones get me. I'll also get the Knight who was guarding the girl to co-op him with me.

Those shields will absorb around 45% of the magic damage, wood shields are usually better for magic. The round shield has close to 70% magic protection. The grass shield is close to Sage, that shield will give you a stamina boost if you two-hand your weapon.

Best to equip some throwing knives and when the clones show, hide behind the pillars and take them out with knives. One for each clone is enough.

grmlin

There is a little luck involved into this fight's second phase. If you manage to find the "real" Sage quick staying in his face with a fast weapon is your best bet.
I never care for the clones.

Blocking should be not the best idea, as the spells will come from everywhere in the second phase. I always use some armor with the best magic resistance, you can find one in the swamp if I'm not mistaken.

Halberd do have a sweet spot usually it is just the blade but some have a bit iffy hitboxes towards the hilt so it is best to aim for the tip.

Yeah, that's what it feels like. Anyway, the Winged Knight Halberd is pretty great, I have lots of fun with it right now.

Maybe a lot of people don't know other players can heal and buff them... I can think of many times where randoms in DS1 didn't know that their Estus healed phantoms. I got into the habit of having 12 faith on any build I made just so I could use heal miracle when co-oping.

Splinter

Ok thanks, I beat the Crystal Sage.

When, and on what weapon, should I use the Fire Gem on? I have a Lonsgword+3 and a Claymore+2 that I usually use. Do you get other Fire Gems later on? Does the shriving stone give me the gem back if I use it?

My Long Sword+3 has 143+49 damage, with the Fire Gem it would be 123 damage with 123 fire.. So does that mean 226 TOTAL damage to all enemies, or just those weak to fire?

Should I just reinforce a second Longsword and add the Fire Gem to that one?

grmlin

What stats are you going for?

Fire is good early game I think, but the other gems, depending on your build, are the way to go later.

Sharp if you go DEX, heavy for STR and refined for a quality build.

If you don't level these stats for a mage/pyro, try the raw infusion.

Once you used an infusion, the gem is lost. The shriving stone will reset the weapon and destroy the current gem. You can't buy the gems, but all gems can be found in the game multiple times I think, and there are farming spots for all of them. Some later in the game, of course. You can look that up in the wiki http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Infusion

Sarcasm

DLC is completely wrecking me and I am afraid to CoOp as I don't want to be invaded. I think my location sucks and kills fighting invaders as I get the cna' thit/hit from different places.

I have 40 in DEX/STR with carthus CS +10. VIT at 22 and END at 30. =S

Soodanim

Decided to start the DLC yesterday. In NG+1 with a level 146 guy (40 VIT END STR DEX) running through with a BKGA I have had some but not too many problems. I can one shot most of the enemies and it has a nice wide swing for the wolves.

I had to stop at the
triple boss
. I was adamant I could finish before bed, but I remembered I have a job and I had to quit. Did 10+, maybe 20+ tries (I'm impatient, which gets me hit) and it just keeps going. Half way through I switched my entire build, and I'm now a Black Knight with the
DLC claws and regen shield.
The good thing about leaving my save at the end of NG+1 is that I'm levelled high enough and enough is unlocked that I can freely hop back and buy chunks and twinkling instead of worrying about levels.

If I remind myself that the boss's final (I'm assuming final here) stage has
much longer combos, I should fare a lot better against her. The speed and bleed of the claws can get me through stage 1 with minimal fuss when things go my way and stage 2 is one I only waste estus on because I'm impatient and don't stop attacking. I've been in since Demon, you'd think I'd have learned by now.

grmlin

So I died 4 times now in Irithyll Dungeon, fuck those jailers!

Never had any problems with them in the past, but that halberd is too slow and I'm dying to them because they always hit me first and that basically is a one shot kill.

Time to upgrade my Broadsword, I think.

I hate everything about the dungeon, the worst level in the game for me.

Novocaine

So I died 4 times now in Irithyll Dungeon, fuck those jailers!

Never had any problems with them in the past, but that halberd is too slow and I'm dying to them because they always hit me first and that basically is a one shot kill.

Time to upgrade my Broadsword, I think.

I hate everything about the dungeon, the worst level in the game for me.

I just started playing again the other week and I won't lie my heart sank as soon as I remembered that area existing.

So my estus won't heal them? I have to drop something or using estus drops something? I haven't played a souls game since ds1.

No it doesn't work like DS1. People summoned to you have half their maximum Estus charges to use and you can also heal them with miracles if they stand close. I don't recall if there's a usable item that lets you heal them, I know DS2 has one though.

Top Bottom