• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Sande

So I died 4 times now in Irithyll Dungeon, fuck those jailers!

Never had any problems with them in the past, but that halberd is too slow and I'm dying to them because they always hit me first and that basically is a one shot kill.

Time to upgrade my Broadsword, I think.

I hate everything about the dungeon, the worst level in the game for me.
I've noticed that it's often best to take it slow, even though rushing them can seem like the best approach. Their first poke with the iron is the only real threat and it can only hit you if you are trying to spam them down quickly. This is mostly for groups, a single jailor can always be sprint attacked and stunlocked to death.

Also, divide and conquer. Those guys will chase you alone even though they're only dangerous in a group.

Sarcasm

IvSrzmm.png

So yea, went around corner expecting mobs. Saw two and slashed away. Didn't really expect a third to crawl out of the well, one did and it fell back down. It glows even after logging out and back in.

Did I miss an item?

So yea, went around corner expecting mobs. Saw two and slashed away. Didn't really expect a third to crawl out of the well, one did and it fell back down. It glows even after logging out and back in.

Did I miss an item?
No special item on those enemies, just a jumpscare of sorts.

grmlin

So any recommendations for a 2H weapon, quality build?

Hollowslayer is an amazing weapon and considered to be the best greatsword in the game by many I think. Don't know if quality is the best way to use it but I loved my playthrough with it.

I just picked this game up for 20 dollars and have never played any of these games. Do you have any advice for a beginner? (Besides git gud)

Thank you.

Jobbs

Banned
Hollowslayer is an amazing weapon and considered to be the best greatsword in the game by many I think. Don't know if quality is the best way to use it but I loved my playthrough with it.

The problem with doing a playthough with this weapon is there's such a shortage of scales through the mid game -- you'll be stuck at +1 and +2 for a longass time.

I just picked this game up for 20 dollars and have never played any of these games. Do you have any advice for a beginner? (Besides git gud)

Thank you.

Start knight or maybe herald. They will make your life easier as a beginner. They both start with 100% physical blocking shields (no other class does) and the herald starts out with a heal (and investing a bit more in faith might not be a terrible idea -- just to 15 or so)

xclk07

I just got all my rings stolen. I was helping out a friend of a friend, ostensibly dropping rings to get him his trophy and, of course, everything is now gone.

Discussing this with my original friend to see if anything can be done... I'm pissed off, but could do another run through of the game... the problem is the covenant rings are gone forever, right? Darkmoon ring, Obscuring ring, and Wolf ring?

Before anyone asks... no... I forgot to back up a save to the cloud... I trusted my friend to know good people. Yes, that's my mistake and a costly one.

Also... I assume the answer is "no", but there is no good way to report this, right?

Sarcasm

I am having a rough time with the big bleed dues and now that V NPC that pops up in the DLC.

They can parry me without breaking me yet when I break them I don't.

Novocaine

Black Knight Greatsword (obtained in Smoldering Lake) is my favorite. Never tried anything heavier like the Fume sword on my quality build, though.

You actually get more value from dumping all the points in STR with FUGS rather than going quality even after you hit 50 STR.

Sarcasm

If I go above a certain SL level, I can't do random CoOping anymore right?

I kind of want to either:

A) Respec taking some points away from VIT to move to END and VIG, stay quality & SL 110

or

B) Screw it and pump as much as I can going above 120 SL.

Splinter

What do y'all recommend I level Vitality to? I'm playing as a Knight/Pyro, currently level 51. I'm at cathedral deep/Faron keep.

Level 51

Vigor 26
End 21
Vitality 15
Strength 25
Dex 18
Int 9
Faith 9
Luck 7

Everything except vigor, end, strength, and dex is at what I started with.

Vitality seems so tedious to level, very small changes in my weight load. I'd like to be able to use heavier weapons and armor later on. Is it worth leveling at this point tho? Or should I focus on leveling something else? Each level is costing about 15,000+ souls at this point.

Edit: Also, can you join more convanents? The one that allows me to respec 5 times is appealing, but I don't want to make a bad decision. Can I join another but still repec at Rosaria?

Sarcasm

What do y'all recommend I level Vitality to? I'm playing as a Knight/Pyro, currently level 51. I'm at cathedral deep/Faron keep.

Level 51

Vigor 26
End 21
Vitality 15
Strength 25
Dex 18
Int 9
Faith 9
Luck 7

Everything except vigor, end, strength, and dex is at what I started with.

Vitality seems so tedious to level, very small changes in my weight load. I'd like to be able to use heavier weapons and armor later on. Is it worth leveling at this point tho? Or should I focus on leveling something else? Each level is costing about 15,000+ souls at this point.

Edit: Also, can you join more convanents? The one that allows me to respec 5 times is appealing, but I don't want to make a bad decision. Can I join another but still repec at Rosaria?

I can't really tell you about VIT. VIG and END are more of a noticeable help. I wanted to stay at 1200 SL for random CoOping so my vit is below 22.

You can swap covenants anytime you want with the token thing. You can level up the covenants by getting the items from doing the stuff (usually PvP).

You don't need to be part of the covenant to respec as you need the pale tongues. You get three from picking up throughout the game. Two by the time you find the covenant. Otherwise you PvP for the items with that covenant.

Splinter

Ok thanks. I read that armor is DS3 doesn't make much of a diff, so I think I'll skip out on VIT until I need it.

I have another question about 1 handing vs 2 handing weapons. Do some weapons only perform well tow handed? Some of my weapons seems to be similar damage with 1 or 2 hands, whereas some have significantly more damage 2 handed. Do your stats affect whether you can affectingly one hand a heavy weapon?

grmlin

Yesterday fought Aldrich with my Winged Knights Halberd. That was weird, it was never that easy before. Ran to him, tried to hit his tail, repeat. I did not have to run away from the arrows even once. No idea why, maybe because I stayed in his face all the time.

Cat Party

I'm trying an SL1 run. I've never tried something like this before. It actually hasn't been that bad. A few enemies are particularly tough (Cathedral Knights with shields are basically minibosses), but I'm making good progress.

But I just got to the Abyss Watchers. No idea how I'm going to beat them. I've tried a few times and I couldn't even get to the second stage. Really noticing the lack of stamina in this fight.

I'm trying an SL1 run. I've never tried something like this before. It actually hasn't been that bad. A few enemies are particularly tough (Cathedral Knights with shields are basically minibosses), but I'm making good progress.

But I just got to the Abyss Watchers. No idea how I'm going to beat them. I've tried a few times and I couldn't even get to the second stage. Really noticing the lack of stamina in this fight.

In the second phase wait for his full combo, which ends with a big jump and a slash in the ground. It gives you plenty of time for a backstab.

Rinse and repeat. It's cheap, but effective.

Sarcasm

I don't know how I feel about the rapier on my sorc run.

Can't use anything I am picking up though as I been dumping souls into intelligence and upgrading my staff.

Any early weapon I can use? Recommendations?

Cat Party

I don't know how I feel about the rapier on my sorc run.

Can't use anything I am picking up though as I been dumping souls into intelligence and upgrading my staff.

Any early weapon I can use? Recommendations?

Raw Astora Straight Sword (you need 12 faith but it's worth it). Apply magic/great magic weapon to it and you'll be in business.

Sarcasm

So back on my main, realized I screwed myself over item wise with all the backups I did lol....

Even though my checklist is completed up to DLC, still need to get items from DLC...I don't have everything on it as it must have been a different backup.

Also started a deprived, but can't get past first boss lol

Hey guys what level do you need to be to have a lot of coop in the DLC? Right now I'm at 20 and getting some bits for the boss. But I want to try her out at a higher level.

Auctopus

Has anyone heard anything about Design Works 3?

I know there was the trilogy artbook in the Special Edition but I'd really like a 3rd Design Works with interview etc.

Splinter

Is it worth it to level up faith and intelligence to 10 (currently at 9 on both) so that I can use the Flame Arc with my Knight?

I'm level 58 at the moment
Vig 27 (+life ring)
Attun 10
End 24
Vit 15
Strength 26
Dex 20
Int 9
Faith 9
Luck 7

The flame arc looks cool as hell, but would it be wiser to just buy flame buffs when I want my sword to be inflamed? Does the Flame Arc do enough damage and last long enough to justify spending 40,000 souls to level up, and 10,000 for the spell? 50,000 seems like I could buy lots and lots of pine resin.

Btw I'm ONLY doing PvE right now, won't be doing PvP for a few months.

Sarcasm

Hey guys what level do you need to be to have a lot of coop in the DLC? Right now I'm at 20 and getting some bits for the boss. But I want to try her out at a higher level.

People in the DLC are around the sweet meta spot of 120.

Though I think you could just use a friend & password, add me on steam.

Farron Keep is just boring to me, it feels like a slog every time. Do people invade much in Farron Keep? I can't imagine it's much fun for either party.

Jobbs

Banned
Farron Keep is just boring to me, it feels like a slog every time. Do people invade much in Farron Keep? I can't imagine it's much fun for either party.

It was hell the first time through, but in that fun "Oh I fucking hate how evil this is' kind of way that made me feel alive. I should point out that my first time through the game I was playing it in Japanese and had that extra layer of difficulty since I couldn't read items or signs.

After being used to the layout, though, it's not that hard to run right through.

Top Bottom