• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Farron Keep is just boring to me, it feels like a slog every time. Do people invade much in Farron Keep? I can't imagine it's much fun for either party.

well i completed farron keep yesterday and got invaded once , still hated that part of the game , now im at boreal valley thank god theres coop lol

Sarcasm

So I just got to road of sacrifice with my sorc, what do I do about staves? I am confused so I just been upgrading the one I started with.

I also been just dumping points into INT, at like 30.

grmlin

How can I turn off invasions? Seriously pissing me off and I have absolutely no interest in the PvP side of this game.

All you can do is playing offline. I really miss an option to turn off invasions. I really don't like them. In fact, the whole online PvP part of DS3 is the one thing I hate about the game. It's an unbalanced desaster with a net code I would call lagcode for 80% of the matches I played.

I don't know about now, but some weeks ago playing online after pontiff on the way to Anor Londor was totally stupid. I got invaded ALL THE TIME and couldn't reach the next bonfire at all.

Right now I play the game online for boss coop and messages, but if I get invaded at a bad time I just disconnect the PS4. I have to reload then, of course, but who cares.

Thanks for the replies. Really enjoying the game (more so than DS II) and I'm in Cathedral of the Deep at the moment. The boss fights have been a bit lacklustre so far (Greatwood Tree and Crystal Sage especially) but the locations are really beautiful.

So I just got to road of sacrifice with my sorc, what do I do about staves? I am confused so I just been upgrading the one I started with.

I also been just dumping points into INT, at like 30.

Actually, the initial one is one of the best ones, so you should be fine. Some other staves, may have higher base magic potency (is the stat you should check, to see how much damage your sorcery does), but they scale worse.

Scaling is a bit wacky regarding staves, some staves scale better in some ranges and worse on other even with similar INT scaling grades, so I would just keep the one you have. For now at least.

Yeah, keep pumping points into INT, but I sould warn you to not forget about VIG and END

yeah i was wondering the same thing about invasion if there was a option to turn it off, now i just defeated PONTIFF SULYVAHN.... diead like 6 time so is the next boss harder?

Jobbs

Banned
if you don't think pontiff was very hard you probably wont' have a lot of trouble with the rest of the game. He's not hte hardest, but there's nothing that's really that different difficulty-wise. It's all just more dodging long combos type stuff.. Which is fine, I guess, but all the super long combos and harder to predict timings just kinda says to me FromSoft was running out of ideas

Pontiff was one of the harder ones for me first time through. on my 6th or so playthrough i defeated him in one shot, solo. not that it was easy tho! so much dodging, but the hitboxes and combat in DS3 is unparalleled, so it works. i loved the time echo mechanic, it was really cool! Dark Souls III excels at having great boss fights.

i am replaying Dark Souls 1 for the first time in a while. i feel like the Anor Londo design style has really been incorporated into III at a deep level. Anor Londo is impressive because of the scale of it all, compared to the rest of the game, which is really quite claustrophobic outside of the more vertical areas. i almost wonder if this tendency towards more open areas was driven by technology - are these kind of impressive vistas in Demon's Souls? think my New Year's Resolution is to finally play Demon's Souls.

this time through i am taking out the Four Knights early so i get more of the story. i have yet to beat them before meeting Frampt, and my Souls skills seem to be getting better across the series, as i've finally beaten O&S on a first attempt, and only using 3 Estus! anyways to fight Four Knights you have to defeat Sif and discover the Artorias storyline. you have to go to the foggy Darkroot Garden, my favorite forest atmosphere-wise in the series. there is a cat on the way to the boss that tells you the legend of Artorias is a lie, and that you can't delve into the dark. this is refering to the Abyss mechanic - you need a ring to traverse the Abyss and fight the Four Knights. this ring is held by Sif, the giant wolf companion of Artorias.

it just stunned me to walk in and see all the swords in the ground. it is a very well designed boss arena. it also heavily makes me think of DS3's Abyss Walkers arena and the whole forest that builds up to that boss fight. ofc this was intentional but it's really cool. in a way Aldritch is a parallel to the Four Kings, and the Abyss has swallowed Anor Londo. DS3's Abyss Walkers boss fight is almost like a revenge, an endless supply of Artorias fighting you for defeating Sif. to me this is an interesting way to reference the previous games, by presenting the consequences of the past. after all, the ruined Anor Londo, all those deaths, it is all your fault. in DS1 you killed those fighting back against the Abyss, and by DS3 it has swallowed and twisted that world.

Pontiff was one of the harder ones for me first time through. on my 6th or so playthrough i defeated him in one shot, solo. not that it was easy tho! so much dodging, but the hitboxes and combat in DS3 is unparalleled, so it works. i loved the time echo mechanic, it was really cool! Dark Souls III excels at having great boss fights.

i am replaying Dark Souls 1 for the first time in a while. i feel like the Anor Londo design style has really been incorporated into III at a deep level. Anor Londo is impressive because of the scale of it all, compared to the rest of the game, which is really quite claustrophobic outside of the more vertical areas. i almost wonder if this tendency towards more open areas was driven by technology - are these kind of impressive vistas in Demon's Souls? think my New Year's Resolution is to finally play Demon's Souls.

this time through i am taking out the Four Knights early so i get more of the story. i have yet to beat them before meeting Frampt, and my Souls skills seem to be getting better across the series, as i've finally beaten O&S on a first attempt, and only using 3 Estus! anyways to fight Four Knights you have to defeat Sif and discover the Artorias storyline. you have to go to the foggy Darkroot Garden, my favorite forest atmosphere-wise in the series. there is a cat on the way to the boss that tells you the legend of Artorias is a lie, and that you can't delve into the dark. this is refering to the Abyss mechanic - you need a ring to traverse the Abyss and fight the Four Knights. this ring is held by Sif, the giant wolf companion of Artorias.

it just stunned me to walk in and see all the swords in the ground. it is a very well designed boss arena. it also heavily makes me think of DS3's Abyss Walkers arena and the whole forest that builds up to that boss fight. ofc this was intentional but it's really cool. in a way Aldritch is a parallel to the Four Kings, and the Abyss has swallowed Anor Londo. DS3's Abyss Walkers boss fight is almost like a revenge, an endless supply of Artorias fighting you for defeating Sif. to me this is an interesting way to reference the previous games, by presenting the consequences of the past. after all, the ruined Anor Londo, all those deaths, it is all your fault. in DS1 you killed those fighting back against the Abyss, and by DS3 it has swallowed and twisted that world.
I needed to summon other people to defeat pontiff lol , well i never played dark soul 1 and 2 , i only played demon soul and bloodborne, so far im liking dark soul 3 , its like a love and hated thing like when i die this game suck etc but when i finally beat a boss im like shit nice what a great game lol

grmlin

Finally got my strength character on a level to play the DLC. Now thats one cool looking area!

Like it so far, didn't meet a real boss yet, though.

I also switched from the winged knights halberd to the great club. Now thats a nice little piece of wood lol. Much fun!
Any DLC weapons I should consider with a strength build? That earthquake hammer?

Dahaka

yeah, that earthquake hammer is fun, albeit needing a lot of stamina during a good combo.
Great Club is very great, now onto Yhorm's, FUGS, Black Knight Greatsword (though it starts closing the gap to quality when using a lot of strength).

I can drop you some heavy weapons if you want. (PS4)

Sarcasm

374320_20161222230952vkq8l.png

Staff +3 and my rapier +0, starting to feel like heat. What should I do? I am also using the basic shield, but I never block with it.

grmlin

yeah, that earthquake hammer is fun, albeit needing a lot of stamina during a good combo.
Great Club is very great, now onto Yhorm's, FUGS, Black Knight Greatsword (though it starts closing the gap to quality when using a lot of strength).

I can drop you some heavy weapons if you want. (PS4)

Thanks!

I'll remember that if I have the need for something else :) Normally I just try the weapons at +9 and +10 the ones I really like.

This Char will stay at NG though I think, need something for the next DLC. (there is one more incoming, right?)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
How can I turn off invasions? Seriously pissing me off and I have absolutely no interest in the PvP side of this game.
You can get invaded even in "hollow" form in this game? damn.

I hate invasions in souls games. Every invasion feels like an automatic death and "fuck all progress" event to me, because 99% of all invaders are some sort of super pro leveled and geared PvP build fully prepared to fight another player, and here I am just trying to get to the next bonfire with whatever the fuck I have on hand. Doesn't help that I suck at PvP and have zero interest in it either.

I hate invasions in souls games. Every invasion feels like an automatic death and "fuck all progress" event to me, because 99% of all invaders are some sort of super pro leveled and geared PvP build fully prepared to fight another player, and here I am just trying to get to the next bonfire with whatever the fuck I have on hand. Doesn't help that I suck at PvP and have zero interest in it either.

I feel and share your pain.

phoenixyz

Maybe I am super lucky but I played all the Souls games (+Bloodborne) and I rarely got invaded by a player who was so overequipped or super-skilled that I didn't stand a chance.
But yeah, if it happens it's really frustrating. You could always play rough parts offline, though.

Gank them, get two phantoms that helps you reach the bonfire.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Or play offline. That's what I do.
Yeah, might just do that instead.

I did that with Bloodborne (no PSN sub) and did fine in there, plus I think notes have saved me from quite a lot of corner ambushes in DS3 already, and I haven't even beaten the second boss yet.

Or play offline. That's what I do.

I mean, obviously, yes, you can simply play offline.

But if you enjoy the other online interactions and systems of the game, you have a perfect option if you felt overwhelmed by invaders.

I see very often those comments about playing offline, when they can just play with other people and overcome any challenge, including invaders, rather easily.

grmlin

I would do that if the PvP would be fun. But it's terrible. I was summoned yesterday as a blue and the invader was so lagging, it simply was impossible to hit him.

I don't know why at least 50% of the PvP I experience is exactly like that. My connection is fine in all the other games, but DS3...

Jobbs

Banned
I would do that if the PvP would be fun. But it's terrible. I was summoned yesterday as a blue and the invader was so lagging, it simply was impossible to hit him.

I don't know why at least 50% of the PvP I experience is exactly like that. My connection is fine in all the other games, but DS3...

It's specifically on PC DS3 for me.

My connection is fine, nothing lags, speedtest fine.. But for some reason in Dark Souls 3, on the PC version, at least half of the summon connections are too laggy to play properly. Others are fine.

..And this issue simply doesn't exist on my PS4 (I have both versions). I don't get it.

Just got the game a little while back. I'm nearly 20 hours in (just beat up the Dancer and Consumed King)

Played entirely offline (don't have PS+) and it hasn't been too much trouble.

The weapon I've been using the entire time is a heavy-enthused broadsword. It's a very unorthodox play-through /s.

Really enjoying it. Most of the areas have been great. Although I've yet to run into a really hair-pulling section or boss like Those damn Archers in Anor Londo, Blightown, or O&S.

Netcode is less than ideal, with several annoying bugs. But most of the time is good enough, for me.

Honestly, this is the most fun I had with PvP on a souls game.

grmlin

Netcode is less than ideal, with several annoying bugs. But most of the time is good enough, for me.

Honestly, this is the most fun I had with PvP on a souls game.
It was even worse in the older titles? Wow.

I mean, it can be pretty fun when it works, but fuck is it driving me mad most of the time

restarted a new game last night after going back and replaying 2 and 1. still feel like this is my favorite one. it is just so effortless to play. the closest analog i can think of is Symphony of the Night, how that changed up the Castlevania control scheme, made it more responsive, took out all the annoying elements.

i am glad some enemies are nerfed (skelly wheels im looking at you) cos while they are still not a sleepwalk, at least they are far less annoying than they used to be. imo this isn't sacrificing the badassness of those tougher enemies, as it just elevates their earlier, tougher appearances to the Ultimate Challenges they were when we overcame them. From have shown themselves to be experts in portraying classic dark fantasy so i am glad they revisited some of their enemy designs. the new additions to DS3 are a real treat.

the level design in DS3 is very special. not just the space itself but the way things look. very rarely is there a piece of architecture or even an empty corner of a room that does not look magnificent, with insanely intricate carvings and architecture, or is lit by the remnants from a spooky gothic candle setup. the attention to detail is insane. the linearity of the game imo is a nice balance and makes DS3 closer to a Classicvania which is something very special. the first game was classic Metroidvania and the 2nd a sort of mess of non-linearity, so i am glad they went with this choice when creating the crowning achievement.

the world itself has a very nice progression and pacing, the bosses and the world all connect. going back to DS1 i can see now how characters interacted but when i first discovered the world, it was so vast, so non-linear, that it was a bit difficult to put the pieces together. feel like DS3's world/lore design is much tighter in that aspect, and just personally a little easier to get into.

It was even worse in the older titles? Wow.

I mean, it can be pretty fun when it works, but fuck is it driving me mad most of the time

Well, netcode is more or less similar to DS2 for me, maybe a bit better on DS3. But what I mean is that the combat system in DS3 is above any other in the series, so that makes DS3 PvP the best for me.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How do I check what NG level I'm in?

My character is level 139 and I'm worried that I'm way over-leveled for the DLC. I don't know if I'm in NG+ or NG++, though.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I think it shows on the Quit Game part of the options menu; if not, just check your save from the main menu.

Weird. It doesn't say anything in either menu. Just says my level.

Okay, I have the option to begin journey 3 in the Firelink Shrine.

What do you guys suggest? I guess I'm on NG+ at level 139. I want a fair challenge with the DLC. Should I go into NG++ at this level?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't recall any Souls game showing your playthrough # in any menu. You usually have to guess based on the number of <key item> you have.

If you don't sell your excess loot, check your number of Mensis Cages?

Karu

I started playing, still at the beginning. I attacked the deseurteur NPC right of the bat lol, should I start over?

Maybe Hawkwood?

The swordsman is the guy outside Firelink in front of the locked door. Hawkwood is the guy sat inside Firelink wearing armour who you can talk to. If it's Hawkwood I would start again if you haven't progressed any further, he's not important but he has a questline and gives unique loot etc.

Veelk

Banned
So has anyone seen a mod that gives you the option of holstering your weapon?

I always want to put it away when I am in a safe area. I feel impolite talking to people while holding my giant sword ready to swing when they're being all friendly.

Weird. It doesn't say anything in either menu. Just says my level.

Okay, I have the option to begin journey 3 in the Firelink Shrine.

What do you guys suggest? I guess I'm on NG+ at level 139. I want a fair challenge with the DLC. Should I go into NG++ at this level?
What the hell, how did I mess that up?

I can see it in my mind so clearly... odd.

Sande

So has anyone seen a mod that gives you the option of holstering your weapon?

I always want to put it away when I am in a safe area. I feel impolite talking to people while holding my giant sword ready to swing when they're being all friendly.
No idea about mods, but if you only have one weapon equipped, you can switch to using fists. More or less does the same thing.

Got a few question soulsgaf, please pardon my ignorance.

So this is my first dark souls game other than the few hours I spent years ago being completely terrible at 1. I have beaten bloodborne since then (no summons for help) so I really wanted to try this as I know they are similar. And oh by the way Bloodborne is fucking awesome!!¡¡&#128077;&#127995;

Parrying seems really difficult or maybe I don't understand the timing, is it essential to hone this skill?
I'm using a Knight, I guess I should focus on strength and health?
I'm very early in the game, like 1 boss down early but I have a gen I can infuse into my sword. Should I go ahead or save it?

Overall I'm liking it so far but I'd be lying if I didn't say it feels a bit overwhelming. Seems to be a lot more systems in play, Reinforcing, infusing, being embered, lot more items an such,etc.....

Anyway, thanks for any advice!

It's not essential to parry but it's a good skill to have.

If you're finding it hard to learn, use one of the small shields which have more parry frames and has timing closer to the easier parrying in DS1. The trade off is they have a lower damage reduction from blocking, but I would also favour dodging before blocking any way - not relying on absorbing all the damage from a 100% physical damage block shield by dodging instead is as good a skill to learn as parrying, probably better. Plus coming from Bloodborne it should feel relatively natural.

You can always equip two shields and switch between them.

BlizzKrut

Banned
So I was thinking of picking this up on the Steam Sale but I have a couple of questions.

1 - I spoiled myself on all the bosses in the game back when it launched because I thought I wasn't going to get it, should I still get it?

2 - How active is the PC community?

Top Bottom