• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Jobbs

Banned
So I was thinking of picking this up on the Steam Sale but I have a couple of questions.

1 - I spoiled myself on all the bosses in the game back when it launched because I thought I wasn't going to get it, should I still get it?

2 - How active is the PC community?

It's active. I don't know how to quantify how active, but people are still playing.

And yes. Best Dark Souls game, and one that is polished and finely tuned from start to finish -- The same can't be said for the first two.

Sarcasm

So I was thinking of picking this up on the Steam Sale but I have a couple of questions.

1 - I spoiled myself on all the bosses in the game back when it launched because I thought I wasn't going to get it, should I still get it?

2 - How active is the PC community?

You will be fine.

IT is activate! Add me! I don't really do PvP as I find it more tedious (and the same) though.

grmlin

I would say the game itself does not need parries, but some bosses are incredibly difficult without.

What's makes me coming back to the game over and over again is the build variety, especially compared to Bloodborn. Pretty amazing

Dahbomb

So, is the parrying window like Bloodborne and you do it at the last second or is it more nuanced?
It's not last second you have to do it earlier than that based on the attack that is coming. The parry has some start up time so you need to take that into consideration. Usually the window is when they start up their attack and the attack is about to start coming towards you that's when you press. And different shields and weapons have different windows.

It's not last second you have to do it earlier than that based on the attack that is coming. The parry has some start up time so you need to take that into consideration. Usually the window is when they start up their attack and the attack is about to start coming towards you that's when you press. And different shields and weapons have different windows.
Ok. Thanks!

Anustart

Picked this up during the sale. Hopefully it can live up to the GOAT and surpass ds 2 for me.

Just beat the first boss.

Edit: Silly, but is there any mods for the bonfire lit and you died banners in game?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Currently playing the DLC. Not very far, but two thoughts:

1) The art is beautiful and the atmosphere is awesome.

2) The difficulty is way higher than I was led to believe. I've died a fair number of times; the encounters can be overwhelming with the amount of enemies, and everything hits fucking hard.

Sarcasm

So I am actually getting into CoOping and I have some questions as I been searching for the last hour.

This is in regards to password CoOp, what are the restrictions for it?

If you beat a boss can you go into their world and then work your way up to same boss to help them?

So I am actually getting into CoOping and I have some questions as I been searching for the last hour.

This is in regards to password CoOp, what are the restrictions for it?

If you beat a boss can you go into their world and then work your way up to same boss to help them?

With passwords there's no restrictions, your levels scales up to the player that summons you.

And yes, you can help other people beat bosses you already did.

made it to the Chapel of the Deep in this playthrough. i really like the forest areas between the Undead village and the chapel. there's that area before Cruxifiction Woods with those winged monsters and the machete lady. there's the Woods themselves, a nice and wide open area w giant crabs that has a few convenient exits. there's that cool path between Crystal Sage and the Chapel. i really love that wooded area with the dogs & flaming arrow soldiers, it sort of reminds me of Darkroot Garden, maybe cos the approach is so similar.

i want to try out some new weapons. but it's hard not to just stick with Deep Battle Axe! so far i haven't really settled on a build (been adding to STR/DEX/INT/FAI). anything fun or w a cool moveset to recommend for an interesting nth playthrough? been trying out the notched whip for some Castlevania action but it doesn't feel entirely accurate...

kris.

Banned
these fucking games, i swear. i'm at the curse-rotted greatwood and it's the first boss that's really giving me trouble. like a lot of trouble. like fuck this boss.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
these fucking games, i swear. i'm at the curse-rotted greatwood and it's the first boss that's really giving me trouble. like a lot of trouble. like fuck this boss.
I'm at this guy too. He doesn't even seem all that fun. He seems more like a "find a way to hit him without taking damage" boss rather than an "oh shit this guy is fucking strong" boss.

And like with many big bosses, the camera is an issue.

Quick question: I played the game a while back when it first came out and just beat the second boss (
Vordt
). I don't know why but I stopped playing after that and want to come back to play the game (since I adored Bloodborne). Would you guys recommend starting all over or continuing from that point?

Cat Party

Parrying is never necessary in this game. If you master it, you can become a god, but rolling is sufficient for all bosses and encounters.

Sarcasm

Well funny on my pyro dude that fire monster up from tower before tree boss is wrecking me >.<

Can I have a friend go up there a put his sign down and summon via password? Especially if they have done the area (maybe even on NG+)?

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member

After falling into the pit destroy the polyps on his limbs, you don't need to keep focusing on the center area which is usually a pain to get close to.

Jobbs

Banned
Why is the dragonslayer swordspear so hyped? I +5'd it and it's just kinda meh. my +10 bastard sword feels better, at least for PVE.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member

i had trouble with that boss too. at the second stage after you fall through the ground what i did was just stay behind him and keep moving round in a circle. try run in and hit him when you get the chance.

Akuun

I beat the rotted greatwood after Sunbroing it a few times for other people to learn its moveset.

He has a lot of polyps and eggs and stuff on various parts of its body in second phase, so it's a lot of running and rolling around to get to those points. He exposes different polyps with certain moves, like when he falls over, so you can reach some that you can't otherwise. Hitting any polyp enough times makes it explode for high damage on the boss. Sometimes you can sneak in a few hits on the hand too.

A weapon with a vertical moveset seems to really help reach some of the polyps on this boss. I two-handed the regular longsword since the R1s in that moveset slash up and down.

Speaking of the longsword, I'm surprised at how much I like it. Its moveset is just so versatile, and the 1h R2 stab has a level of range and damage that I usually associate with spears and polearms. I just got a boss soul greatsword and I'm leveling up so that I can use it, but right now I'm very happy with just the longsword.

RiggyRob

Why is the dragonslayer swordspear so hyped? I +5'd it and it's just kinda meh. my +10 bastard sword feels better, at least for PVE.

Because of who you get it from and the weapon art. It's no match for the DLC or any other situation that requires R1 spam though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What counts as Dark Miracles? The wiki(s) don't list the ones you shouldn't buy. :/

6for8

What counts as Dark Miracles? The wiki(s) don't list the ones you shouldn't buy. :/

Don't give her the londor braille divine tome or the deep braille divine tome. The light path is still active if she has one of the tomes but you didn't buy a dark miracle.
Vow of silence, dark blade, dead again, deep protection and gnaw.

Jobbs

Banned
Is it just me or is the flamberge surprisingly good? High base stats and the bleed proc is a nice bonus. It even seems to have slightly longer reach than the bastard sword and generally low endurance consumption.

Its raw stats seem high, too, making it a nice low/mid level weapon.

Is it just me or is the flamberge surprisingly good? High base stats and the bleed proc is a nice bonus. It even seems to have slightly longer reach than the bastard sword and generally low endurance consumption.

Its raw stats seem high, too, making it a nice low/mid level weapon.

Most greatswords are good now.

Jobbs

Banned
Most greatswords are good now.

at some point bastard sword got worse. This is the weapon I've mained on multiple characters because it's probably my favorite.

I've done a lot of silver knight farming at anor londo to where I know exactly how the fights go. I used to be able to keep them staggered with two handed r1 spam from my bastard sword, but at some point this stopped being the case.

Akuun

Really happy that the boss soul weapons seem good now. I got the Hollowslayer Greatsword and I'm really liking its moveset and damage.

It's a very refreshing change from other Dark Souls games where my usual reaction to getting a boss soul weapon is "wait, that's it?"

kris.

Banned
Yeah, took me a few more tries but I finally took down the fuckin' tree. Made it to Anor Londo (FUCK PONTIFF SULYVAHN FOREVER and thanks to the guy that helped me take him down wherever you are, Captain Porkins) and realized I was waaay out of my league so now I'm working on Irithyll Dungeon.

I adore this game though. Everything that felt off to me about DS2 has been fixed and improved upon. Might be my GOTY.

Damn. I got a $20 Steam gift card so I was gonna buy Ashes of Ariandel, but I see it's not on sale. I guess it's still too soon for them to discount it.

at some point bastard sword got worse. This is the weapon I've mained on multiple characters because it's probably my favorite.

I've done a lot of silver knight farming at anor londo to where I know exactly how the fights go. I used to be able to keep them staggered with two handed r1 spam from my bastard sword, but at some point this stopped being the case.

Well, there's always a sucker in every weapon category. Lol

Still Hollowslayer Greatsword, Black Knight sword as Artorias Sword are pretty powerful now with the boost in speed they got in the last patches.

Lynx_7

I played a bit of DS 3 earlier this year but then just kinda stopped it to do other things so I had forgotten how good it is. With so many on GAF parroting about its lack of originality and Souls fatigue I guess I kinda assimilated that opinion by default and didn't give it a fair try until now. The level design in DS 3 is just fantastic, and considering that's one of the main reasons I play these games to begin with to me this sits perfectly well alongside the best entries of the franchise. Where it falls in my ranking I won't know until I beat it, but I'll say I like its locations more than BB's so far, though the latter has better bosses.

Anustart

I never hear about fatigue in a series unless its Dark Souls. So odd.

Regardless, I'm having a good time with this. In some church now and a knight just came up the lift! Going blind and not looking at any hints/guides.

Top Bottom