• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Jobbs

Banned
I played a bit of DS 3 earlier this year but then just kinda stopped it to do other things so I had forgotten how good it is. With so many on GAF parroting about its lack of originality and Souls fatigue I guess I kinda assimilated that opinion by default and didn't give it a fair try until now. The level design in DS 3 is just fantastic, and considering that's one of the main reasons I play these games to begin with to me this sits perfectly well alongside the best entries of the franchise. Where it falls in my ranking I won't know until I beat it, but I'll say I like its locations more than BB's so far, though the latter has better bosses.

I don't care about lack of originality, especially when what a game is doing is something no other company does. If you want to play a shooter or whatever, you have 108,000 choices. If you want to play a souls game, you have 4.

Dark Souls 3 is my favorite game this year and one of my favorite games ever.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't care about lack of originality, especially when what a game is doing is something no other company does. If you want to play a shooter or whatever, you have 108,000 choices. If you want to play a souls game, you have 4.

<3

grmlin

Hey Aldrich? Fuck you, too. More like Devourer of Buttholes.

Aldrich isn't that bad tbh.

Stay in his face, always. If he teleports, begin running to him, he always reappears on the diagonal other side of the room. Doing it like that he did not use a single arrow attack the last time I fought him in his second phase.

love this game so much. it really is the ultimate Souls experience. the environments look fantastic. the level design is so good i want to eat it with a spoon. i was playing through the Catacombs yesterday and realized i fucking love that area, it's like Sen's Fortress/Catacombs if they removed all the annoying aspects to the rolling ball and made it all about combat rather than traps.

kind of over the "lack of originality" complaints. all these games deal w the same subject matter: castles, dungeons, fantasy settings, etc. that is one reason to keep coming back! you don't go into Call of Duty and complain about it having more soliders and guns again. it's called genre. and in DS3 they pull it off with total mastery. GOTY easily for me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
love this game so much. it really is the ultimate Souls experience. the environments look fantastic. the level design is so good i want to eat it with a spoon. i was playing through the Catacombs yesterday and realized i fucking love that area, it's like Sen's Fortress/Catacombs if they removed all the annoying aspects to the rolling ball and made it all about combat rather than traps.

kind of over the "lack of originality" complaints. all these games deal w the same subject matter: castles, dungeons, fantasy settings, etc. that is one reason to keep coming back! you don't go into Call of Duty and complain about it having more soliders and guns again. it's called genre. and in DS3 they pull it off with total mastery. GOTY easily for me.
^5

It's nice to see some people on GAF still have their priorities straight. The amount of people in the 2016 GotY thread docking points off DS3 for being too similar to the previous games... like, what? It's the finale of the Dark Souls series. Did you want FromSoft to completely change the gameplay/aesthetic or something?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It's nice to see some people on GAF still have their priorities straight. The amount of people in the 2016 GotY thread docking points off DS3 for being too similar to the previous games... like, what? It's the finale of the Dark Souls series. Did you want FromSoft to completely change the gameplay/aesthetic or something?

Change too much and people complain its not Dark Souls anymore. Change too little and people complain about its too similar.

If theres one thing I learned from spending time in The Last Guardian OT, people love complaining. It doesnt matter how good a game is and how tightly designed and expertly crafted all the elements of the game are, people will instead focus on the little things they can complain about.

Jobbs

Banned
It blows my mind that a fuckboy snooze with no gameplay like UC4 or a TF2 clone like Overwatch would win so many GOTY when you have a wonderful, rich, deep game like Dark Souls 3 -- but whatever. I don't really care. We should totally see a lot more of DS3 and Doom in these awards, though.

Earlier I took a low level character to the watchdog area with a +3 raw flamberge and went 5-0 vs. invaders.

R1 R1 R1 R1

0DN17V3.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Change too much and people complain its not Dark Souls anymore. Change too little and people complain about its too similar.

If theres one thing I learned from spending time in The Last Guardian OT, people love complaining. It doesnt matter how good a game is and how tightly designed and expertly crafted all the elements of the game are, people will instead focus on the little things they can complain about.
This true. To be fair to TLG complaints, though, I can understand bad controls being a dealbreaker...

grmlin

Today I wanted to play some more with my strength char I want to keep at NG for the next DLC, and there is only PvP or level grinding left.

I'm at SL 100 and tried an undead match. No success, did not find any matches... great
Went to Pontiff and had some fun with my great club. HOLY COW does that thing deal some damage. I like it very much.

You have any faster strength weapons you can recommend? I have a broadsword at +10 but I don't really like the moveset. Anything else?

Lynx_7

I don't believe the "lack of originality" is as big of a deal as a lot of people seem to think it is, but I don't want Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed to be the standard for DS games. There's validity to the complaints as the Souls series is at its best when everything feels fresh, mysterious and exciting, and originality plays a big part on that. There's also merit in DS 3's approach as a "book end" to the series, a collection of its very best ideas and some legit "wow, so THIS is the place I've been in this whole time" moments. I kinda wish it had come after more entries though, as this kind of approach would've had a much bigger impact if DS1 wasn't still so recent and fresh in everyone's minds. I imagine people would've lost their minds had this come a decade and some 3 or 4 entries after the first game.

That said, it's hard to care that much when the overall quality of the product is this high. Probably my GOTY.

NEW DARK SOULS 3 META (ALL VERSIONS)

Earlier I took a low level character to the watchdog area with a +3 raw flamberge and went 5-0 vs. invaders.

R1 R1 R1 R1

http://i.imgur.com/0DN17V3.gif

dat salty point down tho

This true. To be fair to TLG complaints, though, I can understand bad controls being a dealbreaker...

Bad controls can definitely be a dealbreaker. coughthewitcher3cough
I really should stop talking shit about TW3... but I can't help it. It might be my biggest gaming disappointment ever. The controls were bad and the combat was so mediocre. I should have played it before being introduced to Dark Souls 3.

Jobbs

Banned

Even though I expect invaders there, there's nothing honorable about invading so I think some naughty emotes are fair game. &#55357;&#56839;

Bad controls can definitely be a dealbreaker. coughthewitcher3cough
I really should stop talking shit about TW3... but I can't help it. It might be my biggest gaming disappointment ever. The controls were bad and the combat was so mediocre. I should have played it before being introduced to Dark Souls 3.

I've tried several times to get into TW3 but I can't see past the issue that it's a big piece of shit. Everyone thinks it's brilliant though :(

2AdEPT

I never hear about fatigue in a series unless its Dark Souls. So odd.

Regardless, I'm having a good time with this. In some church now and a knight just came up the lift! Going blind and not looking at any hints/guides.

Its not really odd to me. I dont play games normally. Demon's Souls started an addiction to souls that has lasted 8 years....of course you cant stay at a high level of addiction that long and keep your enthusiasm. The breaks were always enough to recharge in between releases...but Ds2, DLC, bloodborne and now Ds3 with DLC was unprecedented non stop action...too much for me. I have taken my own breaks here and there but will always be back.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't give her the londor braille divine tome or the deep braille divine tome. The light path is still active if she has one of the tomes but you didn't buy a dark miracle.
Vow of silence, dark blade, dead again, deep protection and gnaw.

So how am I supposed to get those miracles? Next playthrough?

squidyj

It blows my mind that a fuckboy snooze with no gameplay like UC4 or a TF2 clone like Overwatch would win so many GOTY when you have a wonderful, rich, deep game like Dark Souls 3 -- but whatever. I don't really care.

you clearly care and you are clearly being abusive towards other games which is honestly one of the worst fucking things about the souls fanbase.

Is this shots at the pale man videos? because that's like that dude's entire schtick

I never hear about fatigue in a series unless its Dark Souls. So odd.

No one has ever mentioned Uncharted fatigue
or Mario fatigue
or Bethesda open world fatigue
/s

do you even pay attention to other series outside of Souls? seems like the only way you'd wind up at that conclusion.

6for8

So how am I supposed to get those miracles? Next playthrough?

Also, if you gave her a tome and never bought a dark miracle, she should drop it when she moves then you can give it to Karla. Never done it this way myself but the wiki tells me it is so.

TheSeks

I think you can
give those tomes to karla instead. she's an npc you can find in irithyl dungeon

Not that far yet, but noted. I'm hating how many conflicting NPC quests there are compared to Dark Souls 1-2.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
you clearly care and you are clearly being abusive towards other games which is honestly one of the worst fucking things about the souls fanbase.

loooooool what. Nooo those poor games, Jobbs you are so cruel on them ;_;

TIL you can be abusive towards... inanimate objects

Anustart

Is this shots at the pale man videos? because that's like that dude's entire schtick

No one has ever mentioned Uncharted fatigue
or Mario fatigue
or Bethesda open world fatigue
/s

do you even pay attention to other series outside of Souls? seems like the only way you'd wind up at that conclusion.

Sure do. I only ever see it mentioned in dark souls topics here. Could someone have ever said it at any point in history about other series? Sure, but I haven't seen it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Beat the Abyss Watcher today but I'm really feeling the change between Bloodborne and Souls combat. I just feel so goddamn slow. It's frustrating to see a medium-sized humanoid move so fast with a greatsword when I can't do the same thing despite being only being slightly smaller.

squidyj

loooooool what. Nooo those poor games, Jobbs you are so cruel on them ;_;

TIL you can be abusive towards... inanimate objects

I mean it's not like there are people who actually like those games you're shitting all over. besides, calling a game a fuckboy is a real high note on a personal level. pure class.

Sure do. I only ever see it mentioned in dark souls topics here. Could someone have ever said it at any point in history about other series? Sure, but I haven't seen it.

you're only seeing what you want to see then.

Jobbs

Banned
I mean it's not like there are people who actually like those games you're shitting all over. besides, calling a game a fuckboy is a real high note on a personal level. pure class.

FFS no. Just stop. You can't take it as an attack against you if someone attacks a game you like. That's such a dangerous path you're going down.

Uncharted 4 is a big boring turd about shit characters. I have very good friends and family members who like the game and completely disagree with me on it. Get over yourself.

Massa

Eh, come on guys. Just because you don't like a game don't go around using words of a 10 year old kid to describe them.

If people get attached to hardware or software in a way they can't handle someone being harsh on these products, I'd say the problem is on them not the other way around.

Eh, come on guys. Just because you don't like a game don't go around using words of a 10 year old kid to describe them.

I don't think you need to write an essay, everytime you want to say a game is bad, specially on a thread that isn't even about that particular game.

Jobbs may have been a bit too harsh on these, but properly translates the problems many people have with those games.

BlizzKrut

Banned
So I'm here to give an update on how I'm doing with the game.

I followed your advice and bought the game, I'm enjoying it a lot, I bought it Tuesday and I've clocked in around 18 hours so far according to Steam.

I believe I'm at half or a little more than half of the game, I just finished Puntiff Sullyhvan (3rd try), I haven't had any major trouble with the bosses so far, the one I've died the most was Old Demon King I believe, that was <10 tries, Abyss Watchers was 3rd try too, most bosses are <5 tries.

I'm glad I bought it, I'm having a lot of fun, Irithyll is beautiful by the way, can't wait for more.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I finally got around to starting and finishing Ariandel. I've been pushing it off waiting for a break to play it and because people seemed to have been negative about it.

Idk, I really liked this DLC. The opening snow area was fantastic. I absolutely loved the wolf AI. I've always read about wolves circling their prey to confuse them, but I've never FELT it like I did here. Totally surreal. I think that was the highlight of the DLC for me.

I loved exploring the Corvian settlement. I liked how it was packed with items across multiple layers. Made it very fun to traverse up and down the same areas trying to figure out how to get to a shiny far away.

Last boss was fantastic. Definitely top 10 in the series. The only slight disappointment was the wolf boss fight. I really liked fighting the actual greatwolf, but I wish the human portion was less like an NPC invader fight =/.

Overall, was it shorter? Probably. I don't know since I lost track of time crawling about the settlement and fighting those viking dudes. Did I thoroughly enjoy my purchase? Hell yeah.

So I'm here to give an update on how I'm doing with the game.

I followed your advice and bought the game, I'm enjoying it a lot, I bought it Tuesday and I've clocked in around 18 hours so far according to Steam.

I believe I'm at half or a little more than half of the game, I just finished Puntiff Sullyhvan (3rd try), I haven't had any major trouble with the bosses so far, the one I've died the most was Old Demon King I believe, that was <10 tries, Abyss Watchers was 3rd try too, most bosses are <5 tries.

I'm glad I bought it, I'm having a lot of fun, Irithyll is beautiful by the way, can't wait for more.
Glad you're having fun dude. Is this your first Souls game?

BlizzKrut

Banned
I finally got around to starting and finishing Ariandel. I've been pushing it off waiting for a break to play it and because people seemed to have been negative about it.

Idk, I really liked this DLC. The opening snow area was fantastic. I absolutely loved the wolf AI. I've always read about wolves circling their prey to confuse them, but I've never FELT it like I did here. Totally surreal. I think that was the highlight of the DLC for me.

I loved exploring the Corvian settlement. I liked how it was packed with items across multiple layers. Made it very fun to traverse up and down the same areas trying to figure out how to get to a shiny far away.

Last boss was fantastic. Definitely top 10 in the series. The only slight disappointment was the wolf boss fight. I really liked fighting the actual greatwolf, but I wish the human portion was less like an NPC invader fight =/.

Overall, was it shorter? Probably. I don't know since I lost track of time crawling about the settlement and fighting those viking dudes. Did I thoroughly enjoy my purchase? Hell yeah.

Glad you're having fun dude. Is this your first Souls game?

I played until the Catacombs in the first DS, that's all my Souls experience until now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I mean it's not like there are people who actually like those games you're shitting all over.
??
1) I didn't shit on those games (I actually enjoyed Uncharted 4)
2) What kind of manbaby would one be that they'd feel personally insulted if someone attacks a game they like? Holy shit

besides, calling a game a fuckboy is a real high note on a personal level. pure class.
Yeah, that was crude language. So fucking what
oh noes the f-word *clutches pearls*

squidyj

If people get attached to hardware or software in a way they can't handle someone being harsh on these products, I'd say the problem is on them not the other way around.

I don't think you need to write an essay, everytime you want to say a game is bad, specially on a thread that isn't even about that particular game.

Jobbs may have been a bit too harsh on these, but properly translates the problems many people have with those games.

nah, you don't need to be a smug piece of shit to say you didn't like a game. that's the problem. You want to say you didn't like uncharted that's fine, you want to say you thought it was a bad game? fine too, but when the only way you can express yourself is through an expletive laden diatribe then maybe you were the fuckboy all along.

TheSeks

Summon AI for the
Crystal Mage
boss. AI doesn't rush to pull aggro, sits near me. I try to rush in to trick the AI to attack. Eat an attack, die in one hit.

DARK SOULS™. :| *salt*

Also apparently you can't summon the AI AND an actual player now? I thought Dark Souls 1 and 2 allowed this?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also apparently you can't summon the AI AND an actual player now? I thought Dark Souls 1 and 2 allowed this?
In some areas, designed for invasions (like 2v2) you can only summon 1 phantom at the time (doesn't matter if NPC or player). Crucifixion Woods,
Farron Keep
, and the
Aldrich
area (after the
Pontiff
boss) are such areas.

You can get additional phantoms if you use the Dried Finger, but that also opens you to even more invaders.

TheSeks

In some areas, designed for invasions (like 2v2) you can only summon 1 phantom at the time (doesn't matter if NPC or player). Crucifixion Woods,
Farron Keep
, and the
Aldrich
area (after the
Pontiff
boss) are such areas.

You can get additional phantoms if you use the Dried Finger, but that also opens you to even more invaders.

Explains me being summoned into a 6 player party then. Tried to get two for Cucifixion Woods but nope. :/ Finally got a human summon that could beat the shit out of the boss for me. I need to soul grind, but at the same time I'm in Faron's Keep right now trying to get the items and poison (Flash Sweat is supposed to raise resistance, but it makes the meter gain faster?) is doing me in while I'm slowly trudging through the Ocean of poison and dodging the Elders (or trying to) to get the Scroll(s) needed to keep one of the NPC's alive. Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Explains me being summoned into a 6 player party then. Tried to get two for Cucifixion Woods but nope. :/ Finally got a human summon that could beat the shit out of the boss for me. I need to soul grind, but at the same time I'm in Faron's Keep right now trying to get the items and poison (Flash Sweat is supposed to raise resistance, but it makes the meter gain faster?) is doing me in while I'm slowly trudging through the Ocean of poison and dodging the Elders (or trying to) to get the Scroll(s) needed to keep one of the NPC's alive. Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.
Flash Sweat increases your Fire resistance, not Poison.

Just buy a shitton of moss, forget about poison resistance. You're gonna get poisoned on matter what. You can always equip the Blessed Red and White Shield (if you found it, it was in the Undead Settlement) to offset the poison damage a little bit, but it's not really a big deal.

TheSeks

Flash Sweat increases your Fire resistance, not Poison.

Just buy a shitton of moss, forget about poison resistance. You're gonna get poisoned on matter what. You can always equip the Blessed Red and White Shield (if you found it, it was in the Undead Settlement) to offset the poison damage a little bit, but it's not really a big deal.

I got like 5 Estus Flasks (I could probably crank it to like 9 but I need my Magic Refills) and can kill with Pyromancy. It's just the slow going in the Swamp and the Elites that are killing me.

Edit: Also I'm thinking of "Profuse Sweat" for the WTF toward resistances.

While I'm thinking: Where is the best farm spot early game for souls to level up with?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Beat Deacons of the Deep. Seems like one of those gimmick fights that's pretty neat in concept but very easy to do once you figure it out. The 1h moveset of a greatsword-sized weapon works perfectly against those guys.

Surprisingly, it's a popular summoning spot too. It's easy to get summoned and then you just bum rush the whole crowd with sweeping attacks.

I really like the one-handed moveset of the Hollowslayer Greatsword. It's the same as the Claymore's moveset I think? Too bad the 2h moveset is kind of meh in comparison.

Dereck

How do I get the spell that makes me teleport when I dodge roll

Isn't there a spell to disable walking slow in deep waters

How do I get the spell that makes me teleport when I dodge roll

Isn't there a spell to disable walking slow in deep waters
I think you mean the Carthus Milkring, it adds a few points of DEX and invincibility frames to your roll I think and is found in the Catacombs.

There's no spell or ring for the slow walking this time, you can use the weapon art of a dagger-class weapon to quickstep which is considerably faster than rolling and doesn't need MP (it still drains MP, but the quickstep still works even when you're out).

Sarcasm

How do you even decide what weapon to actually use?

I got my hand axe to +2, but I got this astora straight sword which I think does better even basic +1....

pa22word

I got my hand axe to +2, but I got this astora straight sword which I think does better even basic +1....

I haven't played it in a while and thus don't know the specific nerfs that have went down, but honestly ds3 is probably the best game in the series in terms of viability of weapons. Basically all of them will carry you to the endgame just fine. Hell on my original run I used the straight up og longsword for probably 80% of the game.

The Astora Straight Sword is a trap, don't upgrade it too much or at all. Other basic weapons like the Longsword will out damage it and you won't have to level Faith.

EDIT: whoops thought this was the DS1 thread, lol. Disregard what I said!

Sarcasm

I haven't played it in a while and thus don't know the specific nerfs that have went down, but honestly ds3 is probably the best game in the series in terms of viability of weapons. Basically all of them will carry you to the endgame just fine. Hell on my original run I used the straight up og longsword for probably 80% of the game.

The Astora Straight Sword is a trap, don't upgrade it too much or at all. Other basic weapons like the Longsword will out damage it and you won't have to level Faith.

EDIT: whoops thought this was the DS1 thread, lol. Disregard what I said!

Pyro here, I plan to go 40/40 in INT & FTH. I just find it really hard.

Armour I don't even really change..my other main I just stayed in what I came with. Same with this character.

Jobbs

Banned
Are the dagger dash's i-frames comparable to the Bloodborne dash? How viable are daggers as a main weapon?

I've wanted to do an all brigands twindaggers build for a while. It'd at least be stylish.

Oddly it's really a quality weapon. It scales badly as sharp.

Pyro here, I plan to go 40/40 in INT & FTH. I just find it really hard.

Armour I don't even really change..my other main I just stayed in what I came with. Same with this character.

For pyro:

- Witch's Locks
- Onyx Blade
- Thrall Axe (Chaos infusion)

Otherwise the Astora Straight Sword, with Raw + Dark/Fire Buff, is quite strong too. Until you get one of the weapons above, is a really good weapon to go with. Just go raw, is scales very well with raw infusion.

Are the dagger dash's i-frames comparable to the Bloodborne dash? How viable are daggers as a main weapon?

Close, I'd say. Not sure if it adds to the i-frames of <30% weight, but they are very annoying to fight in the arena, that's for sure.

They are viable, sure, the Corvian Greatknife is the best dagger in terms of damage and reach. Briigand are stylish like fuck, but you have to stay like at 1 inch from the enemies to hit them.

Top Bottom