• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

kris.

Banned
Buying this was a bad idea. All I've been playing since I got it. Finally made it to Lothric Castle where I've been stuck the past few days. These knights are tough fuckers.

This also made me revisit DS2 to see if I could make any headway in actually enjoying it and it's actually making all of the issues I had with DS2 resonate even further. DS3 feels like a successor to Dark Souls. DS2 feels like a weird imitation that's kinda got it but not quite. Everything feels just... off. Especially character movement.
maybe i just need to git gud

Too late.

**Actually it is not as she only accepts 4 of the tomes.
The ones she doesn't take you know are safe to give to miracle lady, that's how I always remember any way heehee! :)

This kind of stuff illustrates how little I've played DS3 compared to the other Soulsborne games, I can't remember all this where as every NPC event in the other games is burned into my memory.

Mistel

Banned
Tried the Caestus on the left hand. It does exactly what I want it to do, with both the parry and a fast attack that does decent damage. Thanks!

It's also neat that I can hold triangle and two-hand them if I feel like just slugging it out with something. There's something badass about sheathing a huge sword on your back and then duking it out with fists.

Also unlocked the cleric. Now I can try doing STR/Faith or Dex/Faith or something. I've always wanted to try doing a faith build somehow.
It's not too hard a build actually its pretty decent to go with the fist weapons but unless you've got practice you might struggle in PvP. I feel they're a bit of a downgrade from DS2 though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anor Londo bonfire.

Edit: NM you said early.

I just lost 14000 souls I could've used to level up from 28 Depraved (need to get my STR/DEX and Int and the other one--faith stat--to at least 20-30 for weapons and stuff to be equipped). So I think the area I'm in (if I can pull summons) should work.

I'm honestly shocked I've gotten to the Lost Cathedral (or whatever that has the blood loss worms) with just the Uchikatana and like the chain-mail armor and the East-West Shield. D: Granted, with some co-op help, but still...

Jobbs

Banned
I just lost 14000 souls I could've used to level up from 28 Depraved (need to get my STR/DEX and Int and the other one--faith stat--to at least 20-30 for weapons and stuff to be equipped). So I think the area I'm in (if I can pull summons) should work.

I'm honestly shocked I've gotten to the Lost Cathedral (or whatever that has the blood loss worms) with just the Uchikatana and like the chain-mail armor and the East-West Shield. D: Granted, with some co-op help, but still...

Nice. And Uchigatana is great. Most weapons in the game are viable to play the whole game with.

Invading on bosses, is some of the most fun I had on a DS game. Period.

And is not one-sided as it might look, bosses still can hurt invaders and more than often they focus on the invader, also invaders do hurt bosses so is kind of balanced in a chaotic awesome way.

Well, glad I haven't played the game in a week then.

Where's a good early farming spot for souls to level up at?

Is awesome for both the invader and the one getting the invasion...IMO lol

Jobbs

Banned
Just for fun: How could it be officially sanctioned? Boss invasions, I mean.

I agree since the boss can hit the invaders as well it can create for some really amazing encounters -- But in a Souls game, unless the boss is specifically designed around this idea (which is very rare), people have the expectation of being able to PVE them.

What could be done to incorporate boss invasions but have it be fair, voluntary, and incentivized so that hosts will want to do it?

6for8

Just for fun: How could it be officially sanctioned? Boss invasions, I mean.

I agree since the boss can hit the invaders as well it can create for some really amazing encounters -- But in a Souls game, unless the boss is specifically designed around this idea (which is very rare), people have the expectation of being able to PVE them.

What could be done to incorporate boss invasions but have it be fair, voluntary, and incentivized so that hosts will want to do it?

Without watching a boss invasion I assume the boss isn't tracking the reds, if it was I am certain they would be sending "you and that boss ganked me, pos!" messages.

Keeping it fair? Host has two phantoms and invader can draw aggro works for me but it is a cheat that the game isn't aware of, so no thanks. I never had it happen in dk2 but if you were online the 3-3? boss was going to be human. That was often amazing.

Without watching a boss invasion I assume the boss isn't tracking the reds, if it was I am certain they would be sending "you and that boss ganked me, pos!" messages.

Keeping it fair? Host has two phantoms and invader can draw aggro works for me but it is a cheat that the game isn't aware of, so no thanks. I never had it happen in dk2 but if you were online the 3-3? boss was going to be human. That was often amazing.

They track the reds, because it seems you work like a white phantom who can damage players. Normal enemies do track you and attacks you (without seed of the giant), and bosses too.

Players can even send you home with the black crystal, which is the most common counter people uses.

grmlin

So I tried to use the rapier with my mage and damn is this weapon a pain in PvE. No range, a terrible hitbox and nothing to counter multiple enemies.

Tried to kill the big tree with it but lol. This does not work.

I'll have to get something different. Maybe the broadsword again.

Mistel

Banned
So I tried to use the rapier with my mage and damn is this weapon a pain in PvE. No range, a terrible hitbox and nothing to counter multiple enemies.

Tried to kill the big tree with it but lol. This does not work.

I'll have to get something different. Maybe the broadsword again.
You might want to try the estoc instead of a rapier it has a much better moveset.

Horses for courses, I've been a fan of rapiers since Demon's Souls :)

I will say there's a way of playing with rapiers that might be different to other weapons, I tend to do a fair bit of camera tilting when not locked on to take advantage of the verticality of Souls sword combat (like tilting down to hit crystal lizards or hitting the target points on the tree boss, with a more vertical weapon you can just press attack, but with a purely forward poke of a rapier, the camera tilt gives you more options for targeting). Like Stormtrooper says try the Estoc the horizontal swipes on the R2 give it a more versatile moveset and opportunity for crowd control.

TheSeks

Is awesome for both the invader and the one getting the invasion...IMO lol

I'm a Sunbro. I HATE invasions.

In any case: Leveled up from like 24 to 31 or so today. Though leveling up the required stats for Bursting Flame was SO NOT WORTH IT. OMG.

So now I'm probably going to get the next 14,000 souls required to get Faron's Magic Sword usable and then raise faith with STR/DEX to the maximum required for weapon equips before boosting HP and Stamina.

grmlin

You might want to try the estoc instead of a rapier it has a much better moveset.

Horses for courses, I've been a fan of rapiers since Demon's Souls :)

I will say there's a way of playing with rapiers that might be different to other weapons, I tend to do a fair bit of camera tilting when not locked on to take advantage of the verticality of Souls sword combat (like tilting down to hit crystal lizards or hitting the target points on the tree boss, with a more vertical weapon you can just press attack, but with a purely forward poke of a rapier, the camera tilt gives you more options for targeting). Like Stormtrooper says try the Estoc the horizontal swipes on the R2 give it a more versatile moveset and opportunity for crowd control.

Thank you two, I think I'll try the Estoc then.

I think Greirat should sell it now, as I killed the tree (after multiple tries with that damn rapier)

Seriously, standing in front of enemies not hitting them is frustrating af. No thanks, thats not my weapon.

As a faster weapon it is good for building bleed and using with the ring that increases damage with successive hits. Each weapon/moveset has it's positives and negatives. :)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Should I level up both STR and DEX for the Hollowslayer Greatsword since it scales on both? Or just Dex?

Should I level up both STR and DEX for the Hollowslayer Greatsword since it scales on both? Or just Dex?

Yes, it's a quality weapon. You should go for 40/40.

I think it has B DEX scaling at +5, so if you want to go pure DEX is still good. Unless you want to max it's damage.

grmlin

Hollowslayer still is my favorite weapon I think.

I love it!

I played most of my PvP with it. Poise pokes with the Leo ring and see insane damage numbers. Great fun!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Will do, then. Thanks.

I'm not interested in PvP at all, but I'm looking to up its damage as I go through the game, plus it's nice to not be as helpless as I usually am if someone happens to invade me.

I actually take down some of the people who invade me in this game, which usually never happens for me in Souls games.

Mistel

Banned
Yes, it's a quality weapon. You should go for 40/40.
I think it has B DEX scaling at +5, so if you want to go pure DEX is still good. Unless you want to max it's damage.
If you want the most out of it you need to level both... But definitely dex first if you're using it as you level up.
It's not a quality weapon at all it is a DEX oriented great sword with D/C scaling
Ideally if you do go 40/40 you might benefit from a weapon with quality scaling or uses the refined upgrade path to maximise your stats.

It's not a quality weapon at all it is a DEX oriented great sword with D/C scaling

Ideally if you do go 40/40 you might benefit from a weapon with quality scaling or uses the refined upgrade path to maximise your stats.

Well, if you need to go 40/40 to get max damage, that's effectively a quality weapon. (you can't refine it, is a boss weapon).

Mistel

Banned
Well, if you need to go 40/40 to get max damage, that's effectively a quality weapon. (you can't refine it, is a boss weapon).
That's a bit of a stretch you might as well say every weapon is a quality weapon at that point scaling just doesn't work that way. Sure putting points into STR will help with even suboptimal scaling its better than nothing but that doesn't make it quality at all.

Sarcasm

That's a bit of a stretch you might as well say every weapon is a quality weapon at that point scaling just doesn't work that way. Sure putting points into STR will help with even suboptimal scaling its better than nothing but that doesn't make it quality at all.

A 40/40 in STR/DEX is quality.

Now a weapon that scales to both is typically used in a quality build. As the weapon has scaling in both STR and DEX.

If the weapon doesn't, no need to create a quality build.

As scaling and stat into STR/DEX don't really do much. Not to mention scaling isn't the same on all weapons, like a scaling of C in STR isn't the same as C in STR on another.

Pretty simple.

I really miss this game. It was perfect :(

This game and Xenoblade Chronicles are in that weird position where I still get the urge to play them, but when I actually do I realize I've completely memorized them so the magic is gone. Thankfully in the case of DS3, I haven't played the DLC yet, so there's still some magic to be had. I think I'm gonna wait until AoA goes on sale, or wait even longer and buy it together with the second DLC.

Sarcasm

Trying to play DS2 again. Getting further but by far the combat mechanic sucks, and its magnified by PVP.

Especially being invaded as a hollow at a bonfire. Half the time its a dude that you can't even hit either.

I may just stop. I would probably have liked this if it was my first dark souls game as I wouldn't know any better.

Mistel

Banned
A 40/40 in STR/DEX is quality.

Now a weapon that scales to both is typically used in a quality build. As the weapon has scaling in both STR and DEX.

If the weapon doesn't, no need to create a quality build.

As scaling and stat into STR/DEX don't really do much. Not to mention scaling isn't the same on all weapons, like a scaling of C in STR isn't the same as C in STR on another.

Pretty simple.
Quality here is based on Demon Souls as in the upgrade path with equal stat scaling so C/C for weapons etc. A quality build uses 40/40 stats but it doesn't make a DEX weapon a quality one at the end of the day it still scales higher with DEX rather than STR.
Trying to play DS2 again. Getting further but by far the combat mechanic sucks, and its magnified by PVP.

Especially being invaded as a hollow at a bonfire. Half the time its a dude that you can't even hit either.

I may just stop. I would probably have liked this if it was my first dark souls game as I wouldn't know any better.
DS2 in some aspects is two steps forward one step back you can't really approach it the same way as you would with 3 combat wise it really doesn't work. It does have some refinements that DS3 lacks however combat wise.

Sarcasm

I have beaten DS1 and DS3. I got mid way in DS, I got tired of grinding healing items XD and DS was my first game into the series.

Don't think I will ever get use to DS2. The thing that kills it for me is the combat. Its just more than slow, its kind of sloppy.

MattyG

Banned
Fuck
Champion Gundyr phase 2. I can barely find an opening to attack or heal and half the time that I do it's actually just a lead in to that shoulder bash attack. Ughhhhh.
I keep getting him down to like 15 or 20% health and he gets me.

Here goes try 15 or 20 or however many this is.

Sarcasm

Fuck
Champion Gundyr phase 2. I can barely find an opening to attack or heal and half the time that I do it's actually just a lead in to that shoulder bash attack. Ughhhhh.
I keep getting him down to like 15 or 20% health and he gets me.

Here goes try 15 or 20 or however many this is.

Which one? Tutorial boss or?

MattyG

Banned
Which one? Tutorial boss or?
No,
the one in the Untended Graves.

There's two attacks that I can't dodge no matter what I do,
the running spear and the upward swipe followed by the elbow smash. He hits me every time, even if I dodge.

MattyG

Banned
Which way are you dodging? I could get on my other character and come help, but I don't know how much I would help =D
No worries, I'm out of embers and just hopped off for a break anyway. Hopefully when I've calmed down and come back I'll get it.

I've been dodging to my right, his left (away from his lance).

Sarcasm

No worries, I'm out of embers and just hopped off for a break anyway. Hopefully when I've calmed down and come back I'll get it.

I've been dodging to my right, his left (away from his lance).

I just put my sign down before bosses to get more embers.

Try dodging at him.

TheSeks

So, is level 45 too high for Faron's Keep's bossfight? Put a sign down and nothing.

Speaking of which, you can apparently get 3 gestures from that fight. Is it possible to
summon each one and send them home. I know one of them counts against Sirris' quest, so if I can summon, learn the gesture and have them sent home to avoid breaking that quest...
?

Sarcasm

So, is level 45 too high for Faron's Keep's bossfight? Put a sign down and nothing.

Speaking of which, you can apparently get 3 gestures from that fight. Is it possible to
summon each one and send them home. I know one of them counts against Sirris' quest, so if I can summon, learn the gesture and have them sent home to avoid breaking that quest...
?

Abyss watchers? Crap I forgot to do that, only missed gestures right?

TheSeks

Abyss watchers? Crap I forgot to do that, only missed gestures right?

3. One of which blocks an NPC quest. The other 2 are conflicting summons. You can apparently get them both later, but I'm not sure about that and if I can send one of the AI home for the other, that'd solve my worry. As for the other stuff, not sure. I don't have the rewards for the Watchers in front of me.

Top Bottom