• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

How do you even decide what weapon to actually use?

I got my hand axe to +2, but I got this astora straight sword which I think does better even basic +1....

i've been using Astora Straight Sword for this run and have been enjoying it. good damage and a quick attack. in general the rule is, use whatever you want based on what weapon attacks you like.

ultimately what is going to make you get through the game is your skills at defense and anticipation, maxing out a weapon will likely only save you a couple extra hits during a boss battle but knowing when to dodge will let you last forever.

NEO0MJ

Just watched my lil' bro fight
Champion Gundyr
for the first time. I really want to refight that boss now. Such a winner when it comes to moveset.

yVmf1ey.gif

entremet

I'm trying a pure sorcerer build for the first time in Souls. I was mostly melee in Demon's and Dark Souls 1.

However, I'm having trouble with the first area. It seems like game is way faster for normal spell casting.

May just go Quality Build, but I always wanted to do pure sorcerer in a regular game blind.

Any tips?

KarmaCow

Is there any good fix for hard freezes on the PC version? It hasn't happened with any regularity and thankfully not during critical moments but having my PC essentially hard lock is pretty disastrous none the less. I've turned the lighting to low and told Windows to free up more RAM (because apparently DS3 needs a ton of RAM for some reason).

I finally started this up last week. I love it. DS3 is an incredible game. I will always love DS1 and Demon's, but DS3 is the most refined souls experience in my opinion.

I actually cleared
The Nameless King
in under 10 tries. That felt good as a souls veteran.

I'm probably going to finish the game tonight and then start another playthrough. I think I am going to do a pyromancy build. Any recommendatons for backup melee weapons and armor? What about flask distribution? Is it tough early on until I get some of the tomes in the Smouldering Lake area? Thanks.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm trying out a rapier in the left hand and the parry animation looks weird. My character holds the rapier as if blocking, then waves the rapier away. I'm guessing the parry frames are in the part where he waves the rapier away?

Not really a fan of parries that have startup, but I don't know what's a good parrying weapon in the left hand. I use a slow weapon in my right hand, so I'm looking for a fast offhand weapon that can parry on my left.

I hear the greatsword and dagger you can get from the Abyss Watchers soul does exactly this, but apparently it's not a great weapon?

Sarcasm

I'm trying out a rapier in the left hand and the parry animation looks weird. My character holds the rapier as if blocking, then waves the rapier away. I'm guessing the parry frames are in the part where he waves the rapier away?

Not really a fan of parries that have startup, but I don't know what's a good parrying weapon in the left hand. I use a slow weapon in my right hand, so I'm looking for a fast offhand weapon that can parry on my left.

I hear the greatsword and dagger you can get from the Abyss Watchers soul does exactly this, but apparently it's not a great weapon?

There is an item in undead settlement that the parry game is wide and fast, down by the big rat thing. Sewer area where you go to the intended Graves. Where you free the cleric. Ceastus or something. Try that.

Akuun

There is an item in undead settlement that the parry game is wide and fast, down by the big rat thing. Sewer area where you go to the intended Graves. Where you free the cleric. Ceastus or something. Try that.
Ooh, thanks. I didn't know the Ceastus can parry. I think I have that lying around somewhere so I'll try it on.

The cleric is in the Undead Settlement? I'll need to go dig through there again. I've been wondering why I haven't seen a cleric in so long.

Yo I just got the DLC. Did they buff magic since launch or is it still ass? I want to do a brand new build starting from the beginning but if magic is still ass I'm going to go Dex.

The boss weapon you refer is actually a quite cool weapon, but the parry is not very good.

Unless you are really against using a small shield for parry, yes, the caestus is the best option.

Yo I just got the DLC. Did they buff magic since launch or is it still ass? I want to do a brand new build starting from the beginning but if magic is still ass I'm going to go Dex.

Sorcery is great, but needs a considerable amount of stat investment on INT, until it pays off. Around 30-40 INT you start to kick ass.

Miracles still remain, mostly, a support type of magic, the problem is not that is not powerful, but that the best (offesive) spells are late in the game.

Jobbs

Banned
Parry is your friend.

Do like my little bro did and grind. He faced him at level 85 (maybe even higher) and so made quick work of him, even though he got hit a lot.

Oh I've beaten him. I just don't enjoy fighting him.

Examples of bosses I enjoy are Dragonslayer Armor and Oceiros.

A fun fight to me is more tactical/strategic and less focused on dodging an hour long combo.

TmzTET0.gif

Super long combos and "delayed swing" animations are things introduced widely in Dark Souls 3 and are something I mostly don't enjoy and it just makes it seem like they were running out of ideas.

Akuun

The boss weapon you refer is actually a quite cool weapon, but the parry is not very good.

Unless you are really against using a small shield for parry, yes, the caestus is the best option.

Sorcery is great, but needs a considerable amount of stat investment on INT, until it pays off. Around 30-40 INT you start to kick ass.

Miracles still remain, mostly, a support type of magic, the problem is not that is not powerful, but that the best (offesive) spells are late in the game.
I'll probably go Caestus then. The idea is to have a small fast parry-capable weapon on the left hand to finish off things so that I don't need to wait for an opening big enough for me to use my greatsword.

squidyj

Do like my little bro did and grind. He faced him at level 85 (maybe even higher) and so made quick work of him, even though he got hit a lot.

Didn't know that. I never risk parrying against bosses in Dark Souls.

dudes that look like dudes and arent 4 stories tall can often be parried.

Kk thank you

kaos.

I'm trying a pure sorcerer build for the first time in Souls. I was mostly melee in Demon's and Dark Souls 1.

However, I'm having trouble with the first area. It seems like game is way faster for normal spell casting.

May just go Quality Build, but I always wanted to do pure sorcerer in a regular game blind.

Any tips?

I did a "weak" mage run (leveling up only int and att), just go ranged and the game will be very easy.
Even with base level of vigor and endurance i had only two difficult spikes during all the game:

Aldrich and Friede

Akuun

I'm still feeling kind of mixed about how this game references its predecessors at seemingly every chance it gets.

I mean, that I get that it takes place in the same world, but when the story is about how linking the fire is a cycle that has repeated itself over and over, then it feels kind of strange how so many kingdoms have the same names. If each linking of the fire happens a very long time apart from each other to the point where kingdoms rise, fall, and are forgotten, then why do so many of these kingdoms have the same names, like Carim/Astora/etc?

And then there's the fact that so many characters are direct references to their predecessors. There's even an onion knight who acts almost exactly the same, with the same equipment setup. Wouldn't you think after a few cycles something has changed?

I'm having trouble deciding if I like it or not. On one hand the game may be going somewhere with all this, but on the other hand it feels like the game is being a little too self-indulgent like the way a bad Terminator sequel spends way too much time referencing itself.

With the "lag"? Do a plunging attack and they are like 8m away and get hit lol.

I call it lag because it looks like it, yet I don't lag in any other game. It like it turns into the hitboxes of MH PSP/PS2 era.

Press parry after the second hit. If they do a third R1 is a sure parry.

I'm still feeling kind of mixed about how this game references its predecessors at seemingly every chance it gets.

I mean, that I get that it takes place in the same world, but when the story is about how linking the fire is a cycle that has repeated itself over and over, then it feels kind of strange how so many kingdoms have the same names. If each linking of the fire happens a very long time apart from each other to the point where kingdoms rise, fall, and are forgotten, then why do so many of these kingdoms have the same names, like Carim/Astora/etc?

And then there's the fact that so many characters are direct references to their predecessors. There's even an onion knight who acts almost exactly the same, with the same equipment setup. Wouldn't you think after a few cycles something has changed?

I'm having trouble deciding if I like it or not. On one hand the game may be going somewhere with all this, but on the other hand it feels like the game is being a little too self-indulgent like the way a bad Terminator sequel spends way too much time referencing itself.

You have to think that NPC's like Siegward are Unkindled, that means that they died in non specified era and were resurrected as a last resort when the flame is about to go out. You and him are one of the many that failed to become the chosen one in the many cicles or the age of fire.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just watched my lil' bro fight
Champion Gundyr
for the first time. I really want to refight that boss now. Such a winner when it comes to moveset.

yVmf1ey.gif

I still have no idea how I beat Champion Gundyr. He goes combo crazy at the end and I jumped out of my seat when I barely grazed him at the end for the win.

That whole area from the moment you enter the Untended Graves was great. Made me stop and go wait wtf before I realized what was going on.

Akuun

You have to think that NPC's like Siegward are Unkindled, that means that they died in non specified era and were resurrected as a last resort when the flame is about to go out. You and him are one of the many that failed to become the chosen one in the many cicles or the age of fire.
Ah, so that's what an Unkindled is? So there is a lore reason for this stuff? Thanks, that helps.

mandiller

So I'm playing through this game for the first time (probably only time due to backlog). I'm wondering if I should heal my Dark Sigil with the firekeeper. I heard something about it blocking off the third ending if I do that, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. I probably won't be doing NewGame+

Meh, seems like since you are like a "white phantom" hosts can kick you away with the black crystal.

So I'm playing through this game for the first time (probably only time due to backlog). I'm wondering if I should heal my Dark Sigil with the firekeeper. I heard something about it blocking off the third ending if I do that, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. I probably won't be doing NewGame+

There's no real benefit from doing, the only negative of hollowing is how your character looks like a mummy when so, otherwise there's not.

Sarcasm

So I'm playing through this game for the first time (probably only time due to backlog). I'm wondering if I should heal my Dark Sigil with the firekeeper. I heard something about it blocking off the third ending if I do that, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. I probably won't be doing NewGame+[/QUOTE

Yes it blocks the marriage ending if you break. You must also draw out strength five times before Abyss Watchers (the thing to get extra stat points for dying like ten times). If you do that one the dlc gets a little extra dialogue.

I did the backup and import and trick a there is one point in the game where it branches off to the 3 (4 if you count one) endings.

Anustart

Quick question. Early in the game someone asked me to give something to someone at the undead settlement. I don't think I've found this person yet. Any clues?

Sarcasm

Yeah I believe it was on the high wall. They said something about someone at the base of the wall in the undead settlement. I'm up above the farron woods at the moment.

Its after the bonfire that you find after the gate with a mob that lets dogs out.

Sarcasm

I have to say if PvP invaders were like the NPC invaders I would be worried and interested.

Though kind of BS that even with 20 in VIGOR, yellowfingers parry can almost one shot me. While my parry (if it lands unlike his parry everything lol) barely dents him.

Thank god PvP is just R1 spam.

Mxrz

Got around to trying this one. Went PC this time for all the performance bells and whistles.

Invading sucks. Still SL30, invading new areas as I go. Pretty much always host + two summons, and then a blue spawning in. Every single fight goes the same way. Mindless group attacking, run off, heal, people doing what looks like parry spam when desperate. Its a shame, maps feel great for hit and run stuff.

Weird to say now, but had more fun invading in DS2. Maybe its a pc thing.

Sarcasm

Pvp has always sucked in the series. Don't know about DS2, I couldn't stand the game itself. Trying (4th attemot at trying to get interested) to get through it with coop atm.

XD

grmlin

Got around to trying this one. Went PC this time for all the performance bells and whistles.

Invading sucks. Still SL30, invading new areas as I go. Pretty much always host + two summons, and then a blue spawning in. Every single fight goes the same way. Mindless group attacking, run off, heal, people doing what looks like parry spam when desperate. Its a shame, maps feel great for hit and run stuff.

Weird to say now, but had more fun invading in DS2. Maybe its a pc thing.

Nah, it's the same on PS4.

+ the summoning covenants are broken. I did 2 or 3 playthroughs with the blue thing equipped and was summoned maybe 10 times. At least half of them didn't work.
Great fun.

Akuun

Tried the Caestus on the left hand. It does exactly what I want it to do, with both the parry and a fast attack that does decent damage. Thanks!

It's also neat that I can hold triangle and two-hand them if I feel like just slugging it out with something. There's something badass about sheathing a huge sword on your back and then duking it out with fists.

Also unlocked the cleric. Now I can try doing STR/Faith or Dex/Faith or something. I've always wanted to try doing a faith build somehow.

Sarcasm

On my new character (pyro), what do I do with these lol?

• Sage's Scroll
  • Golden Scroll
  • Braille Divine Tome of Carim
  • Deep Braille Divine Tome

Pretty sure I give the scrolls to mage dude, but I think the tome might kill somebody.

Jobbs

Banned
On my new character (pyro), what do I do with these lol?

• Sage's Scroll
  • Golden Scroll
  • Braille Divine Tome of Carim
  • Deep Braille Divine Tome

Pretty sure I give the scrolls to mage dude, but I think the tome might kill somebody.

You can give the first two to Orbeck to unlock sorceries.

Braille tomes can be given to Irina to unlock miracles, but if you buy any dark miracles from her (Deep Braille is dark) it changes her story arc so be careful if that's not what you want.

Sarcasm

You can give the first two to Orbeck to unlock sorceries.

Braille tomes can be given to Irina to unlock miracles, but if you buy any dark miracles from her (Deep Braille is dark) it changes her story arc so be careful if that's not what you want.

Wait what about Karla?

Top Bottom