• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Amirnol

I just saw this pop up on youtube, not sure if anyone has seen it yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAT_9LmoKGg

It looks like the second DLC could be called "The City of the Dead". This person found the name "Miyako no Mouja", which apparently translates to City of the Dead, inside the files of the game, and it is referred as "DLC2" multiple times. This seems like Londor to me, we'll have to wait and see but interesting news nonetheless.

Anustart

Yay, I do like half a point damage to this boss in profaned capital. By my math should only have to hit him 487,000 times to win!

Or, use the sword art on that weapon and charge up for 3 seconds and head shot him! Because he'll definitely let you sit there charging a weapon to which he'll kindly lower his head and hold it out for me to hit!

Yay, I do like half a point damage to this boss in profaned capital. By my math should only have to hit him 487,000 times to win!

Or, use the sword art on that weapon and charge up for 3 seconds and head shot him! Because he'll definitely let you sit there charging a weapon to which he'll kindly lower his head and hold it out for me to hit!

Yea it's a terrible fight imo, but so was the one in Demon's. It was supposed to be nostalgic or something but to me it's a wasted boss slot.

Arena needs you to be able to group with friends against randoms and more ranks. 4 rank badges you can get in one night of play? It doesn't make sense to make it so limited.

Being able to do more organized team arenas would have been great and added a lot of longevity to PvP. Making some builds more viable when not strictly solo.

They were so close to getting arena right.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
LOL the game crashed in that speed run while he was using an out of bounds glitch... that can't be good

Edit: I was afk for a bit while he was reloading his crashed game, and missed what happened, is it cancelled or postponed?

Jobbs

Banned
LOL the game crashed in that speed run while he was using an out of bounds glitch... that can't be good

Edit: I was afk for a bit while he was reloading his crashed game, and missed what happened, is it cancelled or postponed?

he loaded a save he created beforehand so the character is a dude now :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oof. Smouldering Lake's opening area. I get past the worm (walk without rhythm due to arrows hitting you in the back) only to jump into a frying pan with no way to damage the enemies while they one shoot me. ;___;

Anustart

Deciding to plop on this aldritch faithful and do some jolly invasions. Sure is a lot of tom foolery going on in there.

Lots of squads just storming me, including one squad where one dude was stuck in chugging estus animation and floating around lol. Most of my human dregs come from the people dying before I see them, including one gentlemen who had the mobs aggro'd against me, but I murdered em all then he got shot off a ledge by a famous archer.

TheSeks

I'm starting to think I'm leveling out of the range of the boss for the Smouldering Lake. :x Level 60 might be too high now.

I'm not doing the 500 damage I see other folks doing, however. Even with Magic. Weird.

6for8

I'm starting to think I'm leveling out of the range of the boss for the Smouldering Lake. :x Level 60 might be too high now.

I'm not doing the 500 damage I see other folks doing, however. Even with Magic. Weird.

60 is a little high but should be fine, able to be summoned by lvl 46. Coop is weapon based as well, lvl 60 maybe weapon tier 6 or 4.

Greater damage totals most likely boost items or their stats. Casting magic I usually am using 5 boosts.

About 60 bosses dead and still no invaders in the boss room, kinda want to see it before the patch.

TheSeks

So, how are you supposed to survive the lava with the two items? Even with as much resistance as I have, and profuse sweat, I can BARELY make it to the first one (but can't pick it up before dying) and Estus Chugging is no go since it takes a few seconds to "chug"/animate before healing.

6for8

So, how are you supposed to survive the lava with the two items? Even with as much resistance as I have, and profuse sweat, I can BARELY make it to the first one (but can't pick it up before dying) and Estus Chugging is no go since it takes a few seconds to "chug"/animate before healing.

Flame stoneplate ring, speckled ring, flash sweat, red bug pellet and best fire protection armour should give you a shot. Drinking from your flask will work you just need to start drinking earlier. There was a glitch that you could block the lava with a shield but I never did get that to work. Suicide runs into the lava is a strategy used often.

And profuse sweat isn't going to help you, it's flash sweat.

TheSeks

Well I don't have flash sweat. I only have like 15 in Vitality (so like 400 health) soul form. Resistances are in the like 7-13 range on armor.

I think I'm fucked right now for getting those.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well I don't have flash sweat. I only have like 15 in Vitality (so like 400 health) soul form. Resistances are in the like 7-13 range on armor.

Yeahhhh forget it for now unless you suicide run. It's nothing that interesting anyway.

6for8

Can always come back. If you want to survive the lava that should be the only reason you are in the area. Max hp flasks and sweat. If you are on a normal run through the area your flasks are usually depleted after you are finished.

TheSeks

I think it's my HP being so low, honestly. I have an Estus+7 (not sure what burning in the bonfire does besides that) which isn't the issue.

My stats are like:

(Going from top to bottom)

Trying to get the "soft caps" in STR/DEX/Faith/INT to equip everything available in reality. And for the most part, I've been able to survive (barely) with the base (near base anyway) Depraved HP values. It's just this area that's eating into it too quickly and Estus too slow to run.

6for8

I think it's my HP being so low, honestly. I have an Estus+7 (not sure what burning in the bonfire does besides that) which isn't the issue.

My stats are like:

(Going from top to bottom)

Trying to get the "soft caps" in STR/DEX/Faith/INT to equip everything available in reality. And for the most part, I've been able to survive (barely) with the base (near base anyway) Depraved HP values. It's just this area that's eating into it too quickly and Estus too slow to run.

And it's Vigor that will raise your hp. Out of the 3 physical stats ( vig, end and vit) vitality is the last stat you should raise. 70% roll is effective and there are usually better options to keep it under that than raising vit. It's a great stat to max out if you are doing some password coop.

50 vigor cap and 40 end cap, never go over that even if you have nothing else to level. I did a max level character and vig and end were the last stats I did 99, just no benefit.

Ferr986

It's a glitch From needs to patch.

It is a glitch. Funny it uses a glitch from Dark Souls 1 heh.

The host needs to use the black crystal thing to send home any phantoms that aren't with you.

wow this is the kind of glitch that need to be patches asap.

Speaking of stats, is this okay for a pyro?

https://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/135394

IMO Your vig and att is to low, and dex and str too high.

For att, you should aim to 24 min. 30 max.

I see you're gonna use the Onyx Blade, that weapon scales with fth and int better, so dex and str should be left to the required stats to wield the weapon.

About rings, I see you have Witch ring but Swamp ring also buff pyromancies. You'll also need Sage ring for faster casting.

EDIT: This is my pyro build, if you want an example

https://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/135468

If you think 30 ATT is too much you can go 24. I have 30 because it let me have Vestiges (2 slots) and 3 more spells. Also, I have a ton of MP to basically vestige the shit out of a boss in Coop without running out of MP. But you can go 24 and pump more HP if you want. An Ashes Estus Flask will recover up to lvl 27 or 28 ATT worth of MP when no mana.

15 STR is for the pyromancy parting flame. Fire based Sabre Follower is a good secondary weapon if you need something faster than the Onyx Blade, is basically like Carthus Curved sword, but you need less stats to use it.

I'm back at the game, after not playing it for months. Random thoughts.

I finished up my Sorcery run (minus optional areas and DLC), and my experience is that it starts off slow (ashen estus, faster enemies, etc), while ending powerfully (to be expected), but it's actually the damage spells themselves that I find unbalanced (pve). HSA and then GHSA are almost always the best options, with others being too weak, too costly, or seemingly a gimmick (maybe useful in pvp). There seemed to be a better upgrade path in the other games, and I think it's due to the change from spell charges.

I'm back to my strength character that was near the end of the game, and poise now seems different, in that I can actually power through and get my attack off, rather than just being staggered on any little hit. Maybe Yhorm's Greatshield won't be useless now.

I have no idea if they tweaked infusions, but the options really seem to suck with my weapon of choice. I'm using a +10 Heavy Cathedral Knight Greatsword, and going heavy (40 str 16 dex) adds 3 AR over no infusion. Really? Maybe it's just that weapons scaling, but it seems pathetic. It could have been exactly the same before, as I haven't played in a while and don't remember, but I don't recall it being that bad.

kris.

Banned
I've plugged 51 hours into this game and just now found out that there's a bonfire in Crucifixion Woods. Son of a bitch.

kris.

Banned
I've played 8,000 hours and just realized there's a twinkling titanite lizard on top of firelink

WHAT.

Also I'm at SL99 with 50 STR, +10 Heavy Lothric Knight GS on my first NG+ playthrough and downed the Abyss Watchers in like 20 seconds. Every hit took like a 10th of his health. It was amazing. I feel so OP.

I forgot what poop the camera is on phase one of the NK fight. I've watched videos where people have zero problems, but damned if I can keep myself in perfect position, and not end up under them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A big/heavy/slow weapon is really fun 90% of the time, but certain bosses really don't give you much room to recover after attacking to pull off a dodge. This playthrough took me maybe 4 attempts at phase 2 NK with a +10 ultra greatsword, and then I switch to a +8 straight sword and beat it first try with that weapon. Sure, the big weapons hit harder, but finding little moments here and there to sneak in a quick hit really adds up.

I will say, I am having way more fun with the game now, than at release. I think my expectations are now gone, and I'm not comparing it to Bloodborne so much, and can enjoy it more for what it is. Not perfect, and some of the enemies are unbalanced, but it has a great number of positives.

Sarcasm

wow this is the kind of glitch that need to be patches asap.

IMO Your vig and att is to low, and dex and str too high.

For att, you should aim to 24 min. 30 max.

I see you're gonna use the Onyx Blade, that weapon scales with fth and int better, so dex and str should be left to the required stats to wield the weapon.

About rings, I see you have Witch ring but Swamp ring also buff pyromancies. You'll also need Sage ring for faster casting.

EDIT: This is my pyro build, if you want an example

https://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/135468

If you think 30 ATT is too much you can go 24. I have 30 because it let me have Vestiges (2 slots) and 3 more spells. Also, I have a ton of MP to basically vestige the shit out of a boss in Coop without running out of MP. But you can go 24 and pump more HP if you want. An Ashes Estus Flask will recover up to lvl 27 or 28 ATT worth of MP when no mana.

15 STR is for the pyromancy parting flame. Fire based Sabre Follower is a good secondary weapon if you need something faster than the Onyx Blade, is basically like Carthus Curved sword, but you need less stats to use it.

Thanks, though parting flame is better for dark or close range or what?

Searching information and not getting much of an explanation.

TheSeks

Hit 30 in INT. These spells aren't hitting any harder and the stuff that requires it being that high seem... underwhelming? Just me?

6for8

Hit 30 in INT. These spells aren't hitting any harder and the stuff that requires it being that high seem... underwhelming? Just me?

GHSA will be your best pve choice until very late in the game. Soul spear isn't worth the extra damage vs the fp cost. It can go through multiple enemies so it isn't totally useless. Best spells will require 45 & 48 INT.

Ferr986

Thanks, though parting flame is better for dark or close range or what?

Searching information and not getting much of an explanation.

It does more damage with some spells when casting close to the enemy, like Black Flame.

It also gives 1 estus refill every 13 or so monsters. I think it's worth to have, but if you're not interested you can save a couple of levels in STR.

Sarcasm

It does more damage with some spells when casting close to the enemy, like Black Flame.

It also gives 1 estus refill every 13 or so monsters. I think it's worth to have, but if you're not interested you can save a couple of levels in STR.

I actually have 15 STR right now with one less dex than you. So I think I may as well use it when I get it.

You can move items via trading with friends right? I want to move my rings from my other character.

kanamechan

...Yikes.

Sister Friede
was hard! I needed 19 tries, and half of them ended with the
priest in phase 2 charging from off camera and killing me XD; I guess the proper way to beat this is to focus on the priest and hope the nun doesn't freeze you from off camera? I really don't know how these two-boss fights are generally supposed to work with one usually being off screen - is there a general strategy for it? Just checking, because I feel this wasn't intended to be that troublesome a boss!

Also, on weapons: The Astora Greatsword probably ISN'T the best choice for the lategame bosses? XD; It sometimes was very difficult to get out of the post-hit-counter move from the bosses. Are faster weapons usually a better choice here?

6for8

Starting to get a few boss invaders. Mad invader had the phantom ring on when I arrived and there was a sentinel as well. Sentinel was sent home when the host entered the fog (dancer) and then the invader turned lavender and followed the host in. Invader was friendly, just attacking the boss until my lock-on got in the way.

Mad warrior tells me he gets a shackle for killing the boss and I don't think he added any hp.

https://youtu.be/89BaUWPetLQ

I guess the proper way to beat this is to focus on the priest and hope the nun doesn't freeze you from off camera? I really don't know how these two-boss fights are generally supposed to work with one usually being off screen - is there a general strategy for it? Just checking, because I feel this wasn't intended to be that troublesome a boss![/SPOILER]
With three phases and invisible shit, frostbite etc? It was definately intended to be a troublesome boss!

With two-boss fights it's generall best to have good camera control so you know where they both are at all times. Keep them both in your line of sight and at any time you can't, keep a mental picture of where the unseen one is and reposition when you can. Spacial awareness, separating them and keeping on the move is what it's all about.

grmlin

I'm only at 25 Int with my new Sorcerer and it already feels like cheating on certain enemies. I'm sure it will get very rough though, especially some bosses with high magic resistance.

I'm enjoying the mage, so far. Much more than the pyromancer I never continued playing. Just finished the cathedral of the deep and will fight them deacons next. The two giants never died that quickly

Sande

...Yikes.

Sister Friede
was hard! I needed 19 tries, and half of them ended with the
priest in phase 2 charging from off camera and killing me XD; I guess the proper way to beat this is to focus on the priest and hope the nun doesn't freeze you from off camera? I really don't know how these two-boss fights are generally supposed to work with one usually being off screen - is there a general strategy for it? Just checking, because I feel this wasn't intended to be that troublesome a boss!

Also, on weapons: The Astora Greatsword probably ISN'T the best choice for the lategame bosses? XD; It sometimes was very difficult to get out of the post-hit-counter move from the bosses. Are faster weapons usually a better choice here?
You don't need to hope for anything.
Don't lock on and keep them both on screen. Wait for Friede to cast the ice attack and go to town on Ariandel. Or go to town on Ariandel to begin with and get out when you hear/see Friede casting. I don't think there's much danger in the second phase if you manage to separate them. But yeah, I think Ariandel is far easier to focus since Friede is so passive at range. If you focus on Friede, Ariandel will charge in, like you said.

Great swords are pretty bad I think. Straight swords are just better in pretty much every way.

Top Bottom