• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Doing NG+ at SL100 and I decided to try the "always embered + Dried Finger" challenge while wearing the Way of Blue covenant. It's pretty damn fun, and hilarious at times. I was getting invaded pretty much constantly in High Wall, and at least once every 5 minutes in U
ndead
S
ettlement
now. Blue summons are still hit-or-miss; if I run away from the invader for a couple mins I seem to have a 50/50 chance of getting a Bluebro to come. It's so much fun when it works and we get a 2v2 battle against invaders. I've had pretty good luck with the quality of my defenders; one Bluebro absolutely laid the smackdown on 2 invaders by himself this morning.

Pro-tip for defending against High Wall invaders: the Rapport pyromancy works on the Pus of Man you encounter
on the rooftop after the 2nd bonfire
. If you get lucky it might even slap your invader off the roof (fucking hilarious when it happens). It also works on the
winged knight
and
Lothric knights
, and they make very good backup! Sadly, U
ndead
S
ettlement
doesn't have nearly as many useful mobs to Rapport.

Ferr986

Good ENB episode, but his tweet ("The funniest bit about all this to me is how far certain parts of the Souls community have drifted away from the creator's intent and tastes") is a little strange when he intentionally plays in offline mode, which is the opposite of how the creators intended it

the community aspect of the messages and invasions is a huge part of the game and it really ties everything together and justifies things like hidden walls and ambushes

tbh I don't think the developers intended to play the game in any other form.

Be online or offline, be full coop or always solo. Be always embered or always unembered. I think all are options and developers give the option to chose, without any way being the "legit way to play".

ENB seems to be coming to the same conclusion I did.
Flameless Shrine is reality, Untended Graves is the past(before the player wakes), Lothric and its surroundings we travel through is the past shortly before the flame dies, and hub Firelink is a pocket dimension(just a construct needed to send unkindled back in time to Lothric to collect the Lords of Cinders to reconstruct Flameless Shrine's reality.

KingKong

tbh I don't think the developers intended to play the game in any other form.

Be online or offline, be full coop or always solo. Be always embered or always unembered. I think all are options and developers give the option to chose, without any way being the "legit way to play".

They certainly intend for you to play online. So many systems in the game (and previous games) only work in online that I don't see any other conclusion

Not that it's wrong, and obviously I get why he's going offline, but it also means he misses out on all the community aspects

Deku Tree

Some of the miracles, Rings, and pyromancies are obtained through ranking up covenants. Normal way to get them is to be summoned, but summoning is broken. Hence farming

Is there any good online guide for how to get the miracles and phromancies? Particularly the ones that you can get from covenants?

takriel

Latest ENB episode was so great. Loved his reactions, so cool.
Really hope he finds AP, van you imagine his reaction after finding out who the Nameless King is? That's going to be amazing.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to that! Seems like he knows about Archdragon Peak, seeing how he said something like: "I know why people would prefer another certain optional area over Untended Graves, but the lore implications of this one are pretty huge".

So maybe he did indeed manage to find it!

Jingo

Someone help me tell the difference between two shields i have, one is 100% physical absortion and another is 86% but in both of them i dont loose hp, what am i missing?

Newboi

Yes, I'm really looking forward to that! Seems like he knows about Archdragon Peak, seeing how he said something like: "I know why people would prefer another certain optional area over Untended Graves, but the lore implications of this one are pretty huge".

So maybe he did indeed manage to find it!

I'm not sure if he made the connection about the gesture being similar to the
dragon statue
at
Iyrithill Dungeon though
. I'm really hoping it remembers where he actually found the
dragon head/torso stone
and tries the gesture there. I would be incredibly elated if he finds
Archdragon Peak

Stencil

OK I beat D
ancer
solo (first try :D) but hell if D
ragonslayer
A
rmour
isn't kicking my ass. I've been acting as a summon to help people co-op it before I give it a go in my game and we've all died, every time. Like 10 tries deep. Is there a trick? I've upped my lightning resist and am a dex build using a +10 Uchi. Level 90.

Hey peeps,

I rarely find a reason to post on GAF but today I beat
Nameless King
all on my own and I feel like a champion. Feel free to bask in my glory :p

Ha this is my first souls game. On my first go with the boss fight I had to use the bathroom bad. I was trying to pause and was like "wtf is this!?" XD

Someone help me tell the difference between two shields i have, one is 100% physical absortion and another is 86% but in both of them i dont loose hp, what am i missing?
It's not always just about physical block - The 86% might have better resistances to elemental or magic. You go against a boss that does projectile magic for example you might be better off with the 86% physical if it's got better magic defense.

Also stability is important. The higher the stability, the less stamina is drained when you block, which leaves you more stamina to retaliate with your own attack or less vulnerable to having stamina drained completely whilst blocking (you get guard broken, stunned and open to a critical attack).

In DS3, shields also have different skill-related uses - some shields allow you to use your weapon art, some parry, some have an easier parry (more parry frames) and some shield bash.

There's always more at play than JUST the physical defense stat.

Alo0oy

Banned
Holy shit a buffed Raw ASS does absurd amount of damage, easily higher than most UGS, its low-key status is probably what's keeping it from getting nerfed.

Dahbomb

How do people invade/help while being Host of Embers (and not looking like a phantom)?

Are they just wearing a special ring?

What would watching someone do it make you do :p?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Cht-0u2MQ

My god.

c81.gif

Decided to try out Greatswords for the first time, since I've never used them in any Soul's game besides Bloodborne( until I got Blades of Mercy anyway)

So far it's pretty good, did a respec on my SL80 faith guy and gave him the Lothric Knight Greatsword with 50str and 15FTH for Blessed weapon, since people seem to run away when they see the glow. I guess it reminds them of the buffed Lothric Knight in the Castle.

Also did one on my SL85 Mage, so he could use the Moonlight Greatsword. I like it a lot as well, I'll cast Crystal Soulmass then when they roll through it, smack them with the charged R2.

The only issue so far is getting the timing down on attacking some of the faster enemies, but I like it overall and Fashion Souls looks better with a Greatsword. :D

So far it's pretty good, did a respec on my SL80 faith guy and gave him the Lothric Knight Greatsword with 50str and 15FTH for Blessed weapon, since people seem to run away when they see the glow. I guess it reminds them of the buffed Lothric Knight in the Castle.

If you intend to level Faith some more, level it to 30 (or 25 with the Priestess Ring) and equip a Lightning Clutch Ring, and use Lightning Blade on Lothric Knight Greatsword to do some great damage.

pa22word

I can't imagine NK is actually that much harder fists only, really.

He's a boss that gets significantly easier the closer you are to him because it completely negates all his ranged attacks. The hardest part would be trying to stay engaged long enough to waylay him for 15 mins without falling asleep at the wheel and tanking a hit.

Honestly, two handing an ultragreatsword would probably be harder than fists only in terms of raw challenge just because the frames of squeezing a hit in are so much lower and have much higher potential of damage dealt to you.

Meccs

I just heard that long combos don't exist anymore since the Patch? After 2 hits you can now roll out of everything? Is that true? Because I didn't notice anything really. Still get stun locked.

Top Bottom