• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

i7EwsUW.png

CxksnV7.gif

Deku Tree

What triggers NG+? Can I safely kill the boss then mop up other stuff after before moving on to NG+?

Yes you can kill the final boss.
Then you have to do something else to end the game. but before you do that something else you can go back and do whatever you want in the main game for as long as you want.
You can even use a backup save to see the ending and get the trophy and then go back to where you were in the game before the ending.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The rafters above firelink where you can trade items with the crow. Someone told me dropping a chime will give me a gesture and I hit the wrong button after dropping the item and I rolled off the rafters and died. If you die or quit the game before picking up the traded item it is gone and you can't get another one until the next cycle.
I see. Um... it's a carving right, not a gesture, that you get from the chime.

But I have to ask: why in the seven hells did you use the rafters crow, instead of the super-safe crow nest on the lower roof? >_>

Yep, another Souls game, and I still think PvP is shit. Blows my mind that people care about it. Most other competitive games that performed like Souls PvP would be torn to shreds.

Yep, another Souls game, and I still think PvP is shit. Blows my mind that people care about it. Most other competitive games that performed like Souls PvP would be torn to shreds.

I've been a hardcore PvP player since Souls 1. What I usually do is get one character to the PvP meta do as many NG's as I need to to get the best + gear then PvP with that character for hundreds of hours.

I care because it's the only game that delivers this kind of combat. Fight clubs, invasions, build variety. It's all beautiful but I will agree the performance is usually sub optimal and thus far in DS3 has been downright bad. The amount of horribly laggy fights I have been around 50 percent and although it's a shame but nothing else out there scratches the souls itch.

I dream of a Jedi Academy styled game with dedicated servers for FFA and Duels with Dark Souls combat but it's a pipe dream.

Meccs

Everyone that summons me for a duel is chugging today. What's up with that? Everyone died in the end though lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
People care because it's fun and has unique gameplay, despite the obvious flaws like bad netcode and completely imbalanced loadouts. There's just nothing else out there like it, sadly.

It's also not really meant to be super-competitive and balanced (I mean clearly, a win/loss from either side in a fight like this is utterly meaningless xD) anyway, so I just have fun with it (when it's not being as absurd as in that video, that is) without worrying too much about the competitiveness and balance aspects.

Elaborate?

Bad hit detection- it often makes no sense when weapons connect or when they miss.

Bullshit tracking- worst example was when I rolled past someone who did a jump attack the opposite way I rolled then did a 360 in mid air and connected where I had rolled and killed me.

Bad weapon balance- I don't care if you're using Fume Sword. You should not be able to run at me with no fucks and take my greatsword hit like it's nothing and proceed to combo me in 2 hits. That makes no sense. Why can the other guy who took the first hit not react, while staggering me so I can do nothing?

It's mostly the hit detection though, which I think is a latency problem. Obviously all online games have that problem to some degree, but I think it's unacceptably bad in the Souls games.

EDIT: As mentioned above, I will commend it for being unique though. Makes me wish it didn't have these problems.

Tarkus

Everyone that summons me for a duel is chugging today. What's up with that? Everyone died in the end though lol
Me too! When I rush them during their 3rd buff's animation they run off and heal. And I have a tiny Thrall Axe! I wish these people would fuck off and go play Uncharted or something.

Bad hit detection- it often makes no sense when weapons connect or when they miss.

Bullshit tracking- worst example was when I rolled past someone who did a jump attack the opposite way I rolled then did a 360 in mid air and connected where I had rolled and killed me.

Bad weapon balance- I don't care if you're using Fume Sword. You should not be able to run at me with no fucks and take my greatsword hit like it's nothing and proceed to combo me in 2 hits. That makes no sense. Why can the other guy who took the first hit not react, while staggering me so I can do nothing?

It's mostly the hit detection though, which I think is a latency problem. Obviously all online games have that problem to some degree, but I think it's unacceptably bad in the Souls games.

EDIT: As mentioned above, I will commend it for being unique though. Makes me wish it didn't have these problems.
Agree with your 3rd point wholeheartedly. FUGS is the most unbalanced weapon in the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Me too! When I rush them during their 3rd buff's animation they run off and heal. And I have a tiny Thrall Axe! I wish these people would fuck off and go play Uncharted or something.
They'd probably whine at the difficulty or something. Scrubs will be scrubs :D

I know, I sound like a damn Souls elitist, but that thread made me laugh. Not the OP, who had reasonable complaints, but some of the posts, sheesh...

Agree with your 3rd point wholeheartedly. FUGS is the most unbalanced weapon in the game.

No it isnt. Its as if people dont understand the concept of hyper armor. ANY large weapon has frames in the animation where they will be unstaggerable. This is to make Large weapons more viable against quicker ones. If you are trying to go head to head with someone using a Great Hammer or Ultra Greatsword you will always lose, granted they properly time their attack to get the Hyper Armor frames. If they dont, or you play smart jumping in and out to get your hits, youll never be hit.

Latency is to be expected. Not much you can do about that, but the systems work the way they do for a reason.

Tarkus

No it isnt. Its as if people dont understand the concept of hyper armor. ANY large weapon has frames in the animation where they will be unstaggerable. This is to make Large weapons more viable against quicker ones. If you are trying to go head to head with someone using a Great Hammer or Ultra Greatsword you will always lose, granted they properly time their attack to get the Hyper Armor frames. If they dont, or you play smart jumping in and out to get your hits, youll never be hit.

Latency is to be expected. Not much you can do about that, but the systems work the way they do for a reason.
Buddy, the FUGS goes far beyond the hyperarmor of any other UGS. It and the Yhorm's Great Machete are the most ridiculous things in this game. Have you played around with other UGS? They have way less hyperarmor. It sucks fighting against a FUGS and having to dance around doing 1 attack at a time.

Dahbomb

Pretty much why I never took the PvP of these games seriously.

People don't care too much about it because Souls isn't actually an E sports game and the PvP isn't really the main point of the game. It's to fun to do some fuckery in these games and get some duels on but man you would lose your mind worry about the netcode/hitboxes/balance issues.

Like one of the most BS duels I had was this guy who had a small shield and that giant Dragonslayer axe (boss weapon that does AOE damage). All he did that entire fight was parry. It's pretty obvious what his play was, get a lucky parry and then one shot me with the Hornet ring. I would dodge into him and delay my attack so he would miss a parry. I kept doing it until he started running away. I kept running behind him and poking him and then he threw a final desperation parry while facing AWAY from me and it parried when in reality I should've gotten a backstab. He got the parry and then one shotted me.

I just said welp "working as intended" and moved on.

Deku Tree

Souls PvP is supposed to be stupid fun not hyper competitive. Mess around and have fun and don't take it too seriously. Of course it's unbalanced and laggy.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Any of you fine folk mind helping me out: I want to pass my Gotthard's from one character to another (I'd actually like to play the game with them. :D)? Either that or, if anyone's willing to part with unupgraded Gotthard's, that'd be most cool too. :)

Edit: on Ps4.

Edit Edit: Happy to exchange an weapon/armour in return, of course.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Only game where I really got into PvP hard was DSII(dabbled in BB a bit) as someone that plays Dota2 to get the fix of competitive I echo that DSII is not meant to be competitive.
It's more about silly fun, to me it's very reminiscent of Diablo 2 PvP.
And at least for me it succeeded at that at least in the games where I dabbled with it.

Souls PvP is supposed to be stupid fun not hyper competitive. Mess around and have fun and don't take it too seriously. Of course it's unbalanced and laggy.

Unbalanced is fine for what souls is but I won't make an excuse for a game that has many online interactions to be this fucking laggy.

Alo0oy

Banned
Buddy, the FUGS goes far beyond the hyperarmor of any other UGS. It and the Yhorm's Great Machete are the most ridiculous things in this game. Have you played around with other UGS? They have way less hyperarmor. It sucks fighting against a FUGS and having to dance around doing 1 attack at a time.

FUGS is the most underpowered UGS in the game by far, it easily weighs more than most other UGS while simultaneously doing the least amount of damage.

Tarkus

I'm also supposed to be able to take any weapon in this game and be viable against something like FUGS. Yet, the hit boxes are so poor that I can roll around and look for openings, and the FUGS can swing from any angle, hit me and stun me, then follow up with its R2 to take 90% of my health. There's no poise, so I can't stop it with any attack from any weapon. That's why 1/3 people have the FUGS.

FUGS is the most underpowered UGS in the game by far, it easily weighs more than most other UGS while simultaneously doing the least amount of damage.
Max damage doesn't matter when you can literally hyperarmor through any situation.

Have you tested how much hyper armor they have? If not them in inclined to believe they have just as much as all the other weapons. Dancing around doing 1 attack is what youre supposed to do against a bigger slower weapon, unless youre looking to be 2hit stunlocked.

EDIT:
I'm also supposed to be able to take any weapon in this game and be viable against something like FUGS. Yet, the hit boxes are so poor that I can roll around and look for openings, and the FUGS can swing from any angle, hit me and stun me, then follow up with its R2 to take 90% of my health. There's no poise, so I can't stop it with any attack from any weapon. That's why 1/3 people have the FUGS.

Max damage doesn't matter when you can literally hyperarmor through any situation.

Again no. You are exaggerating. No it cannot hyper armor through every situation. TBH it sounds to me like you dont know how to properly space and time attacks to avoid getting caught by a REALLY slow weapon like FUGS or Yhorms

Alo0oy

Banned

It doesn't have any more hyper armor than the other UGSs, all of them have an unbreakable hyper armor and can stun lock you to two hits, they're also extremely slow and easy to dodge and cost a lot of stamina. FUGS is the worst offender of the UGS class because of the relatively putrid amount of damage it does.

Tarkus

Have you tested how much hyper armor they have? If not them in inclined to believe they have just as much as all the other weapons. Dancing around doing 1 attack is what youre supposed to do against a bigger slower weapon, unless youre looking to be 2hit stunlocked.

EDIT:

Again no. You are exaggerating. No it cannot hyper armor through every situation. TBH it sounds to me like you dont know how to properly space and time attacks to avoid getting caught by a REALLY slow weapon like FUGS or Yhorms

It doesn't have any more hyper armor than the other UGSs, all of them have an unbreakable hyper armor and can stun lock you to two hits, they're also extremely slow and easy to dodge and cost a lot of stamina. FUGS is the worst offender of the UGS class because of the relatively putrid amount of damage it does.
So you guys think hyperarmor is restricted to the class of the weapon as opposed to the weight of the weapon? Try out an Astora Greatsword for a while please.

tariniel

I see that Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is on sale for around $13 on Gamersgate. I played vanilla Dark Souls 2 on release but haven't played any DLC's or anything. You guys think it's worth $13 to play through scholars? Has it been cheaper?

Also, if anyone on PC needs any +1/+2 rings, send me a message and I can drop them for you.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's an ultra greatsword.
Anyway, compare the Zweihander to the FUGS hyperarmor.

You're using poor examples, try out the Cathedral Knight Greatsword, the Greatsword, the Profaned Greatsword, Black Knight Greatsword, Lothric Knight Greatsword, or even Lorian's Greatsword.

Compare them to FUGS, there is absolutely no reason to choose FUGS over them, they do more damage and weigh far less, you're using lightsweight/barely UGS as examples.

So you guys think hyperarmor is restricted to the class of the weapon as opposed to the weight of the weapon? Try out an Astora Greatsword for a while please.

I have a build that uses Astora's and my Eygon build uses the Hammer. There really is no difference in Hyper Armor. They both require you to time your attack properly to not get stunned. Anyone who uses running attacks or knows how to roll through the swings will never get hit. I have to unlock my swings and try to catch them at the end of rolls, or bait them into attacking once they think I'm out of stamina.

I also have a Guts build that uses the Ultra Greatsword, again no noticeable difference. The fact that youre complaining about 2 weapons that have overheard swings leads me to believe youre not spacing yourself out properly or being to obvious in your attacks. Its one thing to be salty because someone unlocked and caught you on the end of your roll with a horizontal swipe, its another if they just smash you straight up and down on your head.

Meccs

Pretty much why I never took the PvP of these games seriously.

People don't care too much about it because Souls isn't actually an E sports game and the PvP isn't really the main point of the game. It's to fun to do some fuckery in these games and get some duels on but man you would lose your mind worry about the netcode/hitboxes/balance issues.
Yes, 100%! You can't take it serious. A lot or players do though and I think is crazy. People compare it to fighting games and buy the game just for the PvP. It is so ridiculous! There can be a 40 level difference when you summon someone, the netcode is terrible, hitboxes are off, weapons not balanced etc etc. It's just a gimmick in a otherwise fantastic single player game.

That being said though, I think it is still a lot of fun if you don't take it serious. I did get angry when I lose to all the BS that is in this game but now I'm constantly laughing and goofing around and trying out new weapons and stuff. The people that think that this is a competitive game are nuts!

Tarkus

You're using poor examples, try out the Cathedral Knight Greatsword, the Greatsword, the Profaned Greatsword, Black Knight Greatsword, Lothric Knight Greatsword, or even Lorian's Greatsword.

Compare them to FUGS, there is absolutely no reason to choose FUGS over them, they do more damage and weigh far less, you're using lightsweight/barely UGS as examples.
So the extreme length the FUGS, it's moveset, and the questionable hyperarmor isn't a reason to choose it over something like the Lothric Greatsword, with its split damage? Again, I stand by my statement that the FUGS is the most unbalanced weapon in the game, even with its nerf. Your original statement was that there's no difference in the hyperarmor of weapon classes. Again, I urge you to test the Astora Greatsword against the FUGS.

Yes, 100%! You can't take it serious. A lot or players do though and I think is crazy. People compare it to fighting games and buy the game just for the PvP. It is so ridiculous! There can be a 40 level difference when you summon someone, the netcode is terrible, hitboxes are off, weapons not balanced etc etc. It's just a gimmick in a otherwise fantastic single player game.

That being said though, I think it is still a lot of fun if you don't take it serious. I did get angry when I lose to all the BS that is in this game but now I'm constantly laughing and goofing around and trying out new weapons and stuff. The people that think that this is a competitive game are nuts!

Geez, calm down.

Alo0oy

Banned
So the extreme length the FUGS, it's moveset, and the questionable hyperarmor isn't a reason to choose it over something like the Lothric Greatsword, with its split damage? Again, I stand by my statement that the FUGS is the most unbalanced weapon in the game, even with its nerf. Your original statement was that there's no difference in the hyperarmor of weapon classes. Again, I urge you to test the Astora Greatsword against the FUGS.

Every single weapon I mentioned has the exact same hyper armor properties. I tried all of the UGSs except the Profaned, Astora, Lothric, and Zweihander, FUGS gives you no special hyper armor properties.

EDIT: Also, a lot of them have the better Horizontal moveset.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I feel they do still a ton more damage and have a lot more HP. Probably still maxed out at the summoning level.
Yeah, they are adjusted so that they are not OP for the host's PvE, and they are still more, say, "killable" than they would be at their real stats, but obviously if you're invading Undead Settlement with a weapon with about 200 AR at level 21 (like I was lately) and they're rocking a maxed out dark sword or Fume Greatsword, well, even with the nerf you'll still feel a big difference. Just not a "oops you got OHKO'd and they take 60 damage from critical hits" one, like you sometimes would in the Undead Burg in DS1 because they'd invade at level 1 using +15 (or lightning/chaos weapons maxed out) and maxed out armour. xD

What is your current character's name? I just dueled someone named "Avria Stark." They rekt me.
Define "current", haha. My current PvP guy is level 22, Artemis Entreri (posted that video of me fighting a phantom named Drizzt earlier, had so much ridiculously nerdy fun at that). But no Avria Stark was not me. My first character is just named "Morrigan", level 96 dex build right now. I don't really PvP with her much, but I should try it some time.

Yup.

I'd love to see a game with the Souls gameplay and perfect (or as good as it gets) netcode and well-balanced, though. I feel like I'd probably get way too addicted... xD I mean it's pretty ironic that netcode/phantom hits/hitboxes/lag-wise, Demon's Souls was probably the best? I never, ever had anything like this happening in Demon's Souls, ever. Well maybe not ever, it might have happened once or twice in my hundreds of hours of play time but it was invariably when someone casts Anti-Magic Field (which, for some reason, just broke the netcode entirely, haha), but even then it was never that ridiculous. How did From manage to get worse at netcode in every game? :S

Tarkus

Every single weapon I mentioned has the exact same hyper armor properties. I tried all of the UGSs except the Profaned, Astora, Lothric, and Zweihander, FUGS gives you no special hyper armor properties.
Look, I dont want to argue. I respect your opinion and experience. But I've tried most UGS and it seems that hyperarmor is tied to more than just the class of weapon. I can see the difference going from Lothric to Astora with the same equipment.

Top Bottom