• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

KHlover

Banned
fucking rafters made me lose a gesture when I hit the wrong button and fell off. It seems I have to wait until NG+ to get the item again.

I also spent the next 45 minutes farming those dumb ass enemies in cemetery of ash so I can get the same chime I dropped back and it won't pop up.

Wow that's some bad luck. In the First Person run I just started I already got those chimes twice in the 20min it took to beat Gundyr and run up to the Shrine.

Persona7

Banned
Wow that's some bad luck. In the First Person run I just started I already got those chimes twice in the 20min it took to beat Gundyr and run up to the Shrine.

I even used the items that boost discovery and then I got mad and started wasting gold coins and still didn't get it.

Persona7

Banned
What is up with those two enemies that look like fat officials right next to each other in the
area where you fight the demon
in the settlement?

Meccs

Seems like the Glaive combo and a few others have indeed been nerfed so that you can get out of it after a few hits. Apparently not the other Straight Sword, Estoc stun locks...

Edit: Exile Greatsword too, damn. Two of my most used weapons nerfed. Great... Also Spiked Mace. Thrust counter damage too apparently. So much they don't tell us...
SMH, the strongest combo now is Straight Sword R1 to R1 to R1 and back to R1. /s

Is that all?

OK I got all the endings already, I thought there might be more to being hollow than that.

Hollowing grants an extra luck bonus to your base Luck based on weapon level if it is a Hollowed Infused weapon (note that weapons that are Hollowed Infused still get a Luck scaling to damage if you are not hollowed).

I know a lot of people have been bothered by the action queueing buffer in previous Dark Souls games but I am starting to get annoyed by the lack of queueing in this one. The amount of times I mashed L2 while being stunlocked only to have my character stand there like a fool as soon as the stun stopped, and then get hit again. When other stuff like drinking Estus gets buffered (I once hit the square button, got hit, and then after my guy got up he started to drink, which wound up getting me killed because I couldn't roll away) I find it really weird that parries don't.

mulac

Ok this ring journey to the Plat is doing my head in. On NG+ and just beat the twin princes.

If anyone is online now and has ALL rings needed for the trophy I would be forever in your debt if you dropped them for me.

Then it's just farming for covenants.

Thank you.

I know a lot of people have been bothered by the action queueing buffer in previous Dark Souls games but I am starting to get annoyed by the lack of queueing in this one. The amount of times I mashed L2 while being stunlocked only to have my character stand there like a fool as soon as the stun stopped, and then get hit again. When other stuff like drinking Estus gets buffered (I once hit the square button, got hit, and then after my guy got up he started to drink, which wound up getting me killed because I couldn't roll away) I find it really weird that parries don't.

Huh? They brought back the Dark Souls 1 queueing, which is really obvious when you press roll when you think you can roll, get hit, but when you want to alter the timing of your next roll you end up rolling immediately and most likely caught by a late attack.

It really sucks because Bloodborne didn't have this problem.

Just beat the game for the first time. Some of the best fights in the franchise for sure. Getting the hollow Lord ending with artorias set looked pretty cool. Only real flaw is the npc not being that great.

Meccs

What?! There is ability and roll queue in the game. To the point it pisses me off to no end lol Sometimes you hit roll, get hit by phantom range stun and execute the buffered roll when you want to hit the other guy. Or maybe I'm crazy but I think that is what happens. DS2 didn't have that and I liked it more that way.

Arjen

If anyone needs the NG++ rings or other stuff who is on XboxOne, feel free to let me know, probably won't be using that character anymore since she's extremely overleveled anyway.

Huh? They brought back the Dark Souls 1 queueing, which is really obvious when you press roll when you think you can roll, get hit, but when you want to alter the timing of your next roll you end up rolling immediately and most likely caught by a late attack.

It really sucks because Bloodborne didn't have this problem.

What?! There is ability and roll queue in the game. To the point it pisses me off to no end lol Sometimes you hit roll, get hit by phantom range stun and execute the buffered roll when you want to hit the other guy. Or maybe I'm crazy but I think that is what happens. DS2 didn't have that and I liked it more that way.

Yes, there definitely is queueing in DS3 but it feels unreliable unlike the queueing in Dark Souls 1. In DS1 you could tap the d-pad mid-roll and you'd swap weapons as soon as your roll finished but you can't do that in DS3.

EDIT: Whoa, completely disregard this. Turns out I'm just bad.

mulac

If anyone needs the NG++ rings or other stuff who is on XboxOne, feel free to let me know, probably won't be using that character anymore since she's extremely overleveled anyway.

I need for PS4 but glad people are willing to help a hunter!

Pity I'm off out today, I've ha a great run
gardens done and boss down first try, untended graves done and boss down first try, got maximum bonfire in firelink and opened up archdragon peak
not sure whether to give
the firekeeper the eyes though
all in all a good run!

Skii

I've done a bunch of coop and got myself up to SL 95. Have enough strength to use the
Fume Ultra Greatsword

I hear there's a new patch rebalancing certain weapons... Any of them nerfed?

I've also just started a new character. Going to do Anri's storyline for the "true" ending. Decided to go Dex+Pyromancy. Not comfortable enough to use special weapons like whips :(

laxu

I think you should temporary heal it with velka statue for much cheaper price, and then the fire keeper will fully heal it for again cheap price.

Wait, is fully healing the dark sigil connected to your hollowing level? I thought it was related to what souls level you are as it has gone up as I've leveled up in the game. I think mine is something like 800 000 souls, which isn't actually absurd to gain if you farm the golden knights in Grand Archives rooftop. I just haven't bothered doing that.

They net 25k a piece if you have
mimic helm, silver serpent ring and shield of want equipped and can be easily taken out by casting Rapport when they drop from the roof.
. That's 75k for a few minutes of work.

Hollowing grants an extra luck bonus to your base Luck based on weapon level if it is a Hollowed Infused weapon (note that weapons that are Hollowed Infused still get a Luck scaling to damage if you are not hollowed).
Ahhh, ok thank you. I need to read up on all this. Does it stack with NG+ onwards, so you're hollowing could theoretically max at say 99? Or does it reset to zero once you go to NG+?

Ferr986

Seems like the Glaive combo and a few others have indeed been nerfed so that you can get out of it after a few hits. Apparently not the other Straight Sword, Estoc stun locks...

Edit: Exile Greatsword too, damn. Two of my most used weapons nerfed. Great... Also Spiked Mace. Thrust counter damage too apparently. So much they don't tell us...
SMH, the strongest combo now is Straight Sword R1 to R1 to R1 and back to R1. /s

Really? This is just crazy if true. Wtf os going on in From?

Tarkus

The Spin Sweep weapons pretty much guaranteed a 4-hit combo often doing over 1100 damage for the larger weapons. If so, I'm glad it's gone. But duuuuuude, FROM still has lots of work to do.

Ahhh, ok thank you. I need to read up on all this. Does it stack with NG+ onwards, so you're hollowing could theoretically max at say 99? Or does it reset to zero once you go to NG+?

It doesn't reset (but you lose your dark sigils, which you won't need once you have 15 hollow).

Only 15 hollowing matters, anything above that is just for show.

Does someone have a list with all armor pieces ? Not one with sets but rather a list per emplacement (for helmet, for chest, etc...).
I kind of want to collect all items but it's a hard to keep track of what I have and what I'm missing :/

silva1991

Wait, is fully healing the dark sigil connected to your hollowing level? I thought it was related to what souls level you are as it has gone up as I've leveled up in the game. I think mine is something like 800 000 souls, which isn't actually absurd to gain if you farm the golden knights in Grand Archives rooftop. I just haven't bothered doing that.

They net 25k a piece if you have
mimic helm, silver serpent ring and shield of want equipped and can be easily taken out by casting Rapport when they drop from the roof.
. That's 75k for a few minutes of work.

That's what I used to believe, but i'm probably wrong.

Meccs

Yep. Just tested this. Exile Greatsword suffers more from it since the range is shorter. If they are late with the roll you can still catch them partially with the Glaive combo but most of the time the follow up R2 won't hit anymore. I would be ok with it if they would reduce the R1 Straight Sword stagger.
Also, did they nerf Hornet Ring or is everyone I'm fighting today stacked up with Vigor? I have yet to (one shot) kill someone with it, they have always just a tiny bit health left (no Tears). Maybe coincidence....

Ferr986

maaaaan people just don't want to enter a boss fight with just one summon it seems.

Got summoned for AW, dude keep waiting for another summon for some reason. Even after showing him that I can deal +500 damage to a Darkwraith with a Chaos orb he still kept waiting. Funny how he ended up crystaling me back just because I was rolling around him. Wthatever, his lose, considering it takes 4 Chaos orb to defeat each phase of the boss.

KHlover

Banned
maaaaan people just don't want to enter a boss fight with just one summon it seems.

Got summoned for AW, dude keep waiting for another summon for some reason. Even after showing him that I can deal +500 damage to a Darkwraith with a Chaos orb he still kept waiting. Funny how he ended up crystaling me back just because I was rolling around him. Wthatever, his lose, considering it takes 4 Chaos orb to defeat each phase of the boss.

That's the kind of host who gets killed by the boss anyways, so he really did you a favor sending you back.

Meccs

I'll start dropping Embers soon so the people I invade will fight me instead of running around in circles right next to a bonfire. "Omg my precious embers, don't kill me!"

mulac

I'll start dropping Embers soon so the people I invade will fight me instead of running around in circles right next to a bonfire. "Omg my precious embers, don't kill me!"

I will admit that this used to be me at the start. Now however it doesnt matter and the invasions are part of what makes this game so much fun!

Meccs

I will admit that this used to be me at the start. Now however it doesnt matter and the invasions are part of what makes this game so much fun!
I understand that people are annoyed if they get invaded mid level. Backtracking sucks if they die. But right next to a bonfire? Also a lot of people would rather run away and die to a bunch of mobs than to another player. "Hmm, I'm next to a Bonfire, I better run half across the zone and die to the enemies chasing me than trying to fight the guy right here next to the Bonfire so I can pick up my souls in case I die."

Deku Tree

Beat the game. Did everything except the covenant grind and missed missable one gesture. Not sure when I'll get to the rest of that...

Thinking about doing a re-spec to try out magic usage. I am staying at lvl 100.

Are there any suggested good specs for a magic user?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How does this even work? A higher player gives more souls? Sometimes the amount is quite significant.
Yeah, something like that.

inb4 soul giving dagger
I'm on PS4. :p

According to the wiki if a host defeats an invader, the host gets 15% of the required souls required for the invaders current level-up . And if an Invader kills the host, the invader gets 4%.

If he was an invader that means he needed like 306k souls to level up
Jesus so he was what... level 200+? And I still beat him (despite having other player(s) attack me too). I know they're nerfed but still, what a scrub lol.

fucking rafters made me lose a gesture when I hit the wrong button and fell off. It seems I have to wait until NG+ to get the item again.

I also spent the next 45 minutes farming those dumb ass enemies in cemetery of ash so I can get the same chime I dropped that gave me the gesture and it won't pop up.
Huh? Rafters made you lose a... gesture? From a chime? I don't understand...

Awesome spoilerous images.

One

Two
Cool!

Yes, there definitely is queueing in DS3 but it feels unreliable unlike the queueing in Dark Souls 1. In DS1 you could tap the d-pad mid-roll and you'd swap weapons as soon as your roll finished but you can't do that in DS3.

EDIT: Whoa, completely disregard this. Turns out I'm just bad.
Nah I think you're just confusing two things. Queuing is there, but weapon toggle stunlock escape is not. It wasn't there in DS2 or Bloodborne either afaik.

I hate that. Sometimes I'm waiting around to go kill the boss but the host just waits forever trying to find another phantom. Like stop it dude, we're fine. The boss's attention will be divided already, and adding another phantom just makes the boss defense go up (worse is when they insist on summoning crappy NPCs).

I'm all for helping people but damn if some of those hosts are... well, kind of clueless/scrubby sometimes.

I understand that people are annoyed if they get invaded mid level. Backtracking sucks if they die. But right next to a bonfire? Also a lot of people would rather run away and die to a bunch of mobs than to another player. "Hmm, I'm next to a Bonfire, I better run half across the zone and die to the enemies chasing me than trying to fight the guy right here next to the Bonfire so I can pick up my souls in case I die."
Yeah I've seen that happen, it makes no sense.
Or of course running around the bonfire constantly trying to get your friend back after the invader kills them and never even trying to get a single hit in in the meantime and still dying. LOL

Deku Tree

:Lol I did some extreme rough estimates but

"Okay so I needed 12 darkmoon covenant items to get the platinum. So I wonder what the drop rates are for the darkmoon covenant item. I used Gold Covetous Serpent Ring +2, Crystal Sage Rapier, Symbol of Avarice, Hollowed infused +10 sword and rusted coins. Thus bringing my item discovery to 429.

In ng++, I started with 0 souls and ended up getting 4763498 souls. Each knight gave me about ~16087 souls. I killed 300 silver knights which I sometime killed the red eyed silver knight. So 12 darkmoon covenant items dropped / 300 silver knights killed x 100 = 4.03 % drop rate for the darkmoon covenant item with a item discovery of 429..."

edit:

Out side right by pontiff sulyvahn bonfire, farrons keep, first bonfire at high wall of lothric are a few I notices.

Late response but out of curiosity how long did all that grinding take you?

Late response but out of curiosity how long did all that grinding take you?
For those 12 darkmoon covenant items, I think it took me around ~6 hours?

Definitely all the +2's.
Just doing an excel spreadsheet (yeah!!) to see what i'm missing vs the wiki.

I love this game to pieces but just dont have the time to go through it 3 times...

Will advise shortly...
Cool Cool, sorry can you give me about 30 mins? Will send you a PM when I am able to do it.

Nah I think you're just confusing two things. Queuing is there, but weapon toggle stunlock escape is not. It wasn't there in DS2 or Bloodborne either afaik.

I'm not talking about toggle escapes (though I do wish that was in this game as well tbh), it's just that sometimes I swear my actions don't queue when I expect them to and it throws off my rhythm.

SDR-UK

Just extending my offer once again for anything you guys need in this game (PS4), willing to help you through bosses, drop rings/items/weapons, I'll even die thirty times for you to get your shackles.

Deku Tree

The DS3 official guide is a lot worse than the Bloodbourne guide IMO.

It's like they took out my substantial lore discussion and made a clinical here is how to beat every enemy guide. And no talk about how to find all the armor sets.

ENB really loves the lore, and I guess he put most of it into the BB guide.

Deku Tree

Just extending my offer once again for anything you guys need in this game (PS4), willing to help you through bosses, drop rings/items/weapons, I'll even die thirty times for you to get your shackles.

I could use some help with shackles and maybe weapons drops if your available. I will be online in about ten minutes. Sent you a FR.

SDR-UK

I could use some help with shackles and maybe weapons drops if your available. I will be online in about ten minutes. Sent you a FR.

Yeah just message me and leave me know. I'll have to summon you at the
Kiln of the First Flame
with your Mound Makers equipped if that's alright?

Top Bottom