• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

nowai

I don't agree sunny/bright areas are the best though. One of the things I love in Demon's Souls and Bloodborne is the fact they are so dark. That's one thing that makes these games my favorite.

I don't think I will ever forget being carried into Anor Londo by the batwing demons in DS1 the first time.

Ever since then, I always look forward to a sunny area among all of the dark and dreary.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Haha that's why it's better to summon reds while trading. Oh well not a very threatening invader at least.

Edit: thanks a bunch, very appreciated ^^

I-hate-u

I can't believe they locked Gold Serpent +2 ring behind the
NK
boss fight.

Whoever designed the trophies/achievements for this game really needs calm themselves down.

SDR-UK

NK
boss fight.

Whoever designed the trophies/achievements for this game really needs calm them-self down.

The + versions of rings has bothered me since it's inception to be perfectly honest but if you need someone to drop it or help you through (PS4, hopefully?), I'd be willing to do so.

Deku Tree

Heavy shields are ridiculous. Is there any way to break them. This invader was just hanging out with his heavy shield up.

Player would just sit there forever with heavy shield up absorbing all my attacks and taking no damage waiting for me to make a close range mistake. Was kind of boring.

It absorbed basically all my attacks with my +10 dark sword. Is there anything that can break a really heavy shield?

I-hate-u

The + versions of rings has bothered me since it's inception to be perfectly honest but if you need someone to drop it or help you through (PS4, hopefully?), I'd be willing to do so.

Nah it's okay :)

I'll try to beat him fair and square, and if I can't, I'll post here for help. Just can't believe how dumb they made to get 100% in this game. Not even BB was this bad even with the Chalice Dungeons.

SDR-UK

Heavy shields are ridiculous. Is there any way to break them. This invader was just hanging out with his heavy shield up.

Player would just sit there forever with heavy shield up absorbing all my attacks and taking no damage waiting for me to make a close range mistake. Was kind of boring.

It absorbed basically all my attacks with my +10 dark sword. Is there anything that can break a really heavy shield?

Shotel

KHlover

Banned
20160522005525_11xpl5.jpg

lol that Giant Rat chased me all the way from Irityll Dungeon.

Arjen

NK
boss fight.

Whoever designed the trophies/achievements for this game really needs calm themselves down.

That's the correct way to do it. Hiding them behind covenant rewards is dumb.

2AdEPT

Yeah, they lead you all the way to the platform. I'm not sure why they didn't just let the community figure that one out. It is Dark Souls for Gwyn's sake.

2AdEPT is master fister from way back :p

LOL, I would take offence, were it not true! :p

20160522005525_11xpl5.jpg

lol that Giant Rat chased me all the way from Irityll Dungeon.

Moons are acceptable, but no rats allowed. dat Gargoyle is pretty well endowed to have a rat dat big drop from his loins.
sorry blame sour shoes

Late Flag

I want a second Caestus so I can infuse one with Blessed and one with Simple and can swap them out depending on if I need FP or HP. Nothing else. Call it lazy convenience.

I'm glad to see that somebody else does this. I'm running a Blessed shield and keep a Simple caestus in my right hand to equip when things are quiet. They're both really slow even at +9, but it's better than nothing.

poodpick

Soul
of Cinder
can fucking parry you? I was 3 hits away from going into phase 2 and he parryed me in curved sword mode while he was getting countered. Insta-kill riposte at SL1.

Tarkus

I'm glad to see that somebody else does this. I'm running a Blessed shield and keep a Simple caestus in my right hand to equip when things are quiet. They're both really slow even at +9, but it's better than nothing.
I always have Simple infusion on my parry shields or Caestus. I love the passive FP regen in PvP.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Question... please answer without giving any spoilers.

I feel like I'm approaching the end game and I like to explore all the areas as I can before I defeat the final boss. The last two bosses I defeated were
the Dancer of the Boreal Valley
and
Oceiros, the Consumed King.

Theres a door just after I defeated
Oceiors
, or I can go straight up
Lothric Castle
. Do any of those areas lead to the final game or do I still have a ways to go? And if so, which should I avoid?

Thanks.

SDR-UK

I feel like I'm approaching the end game and I like to explore all the areas as I can before I defeat the final boss. The last two bosses I defeated were
and

Oceiors
Lothric Castle
. Do any of those areas lead to the final game or do I still have a ways to go? And if so, which should I avoid?

Thanks.

I would recommend poking around a bit after Oceiros. Lothric Castle is indeed required for end game.

Tarkus

and

Oceiors
Lothric Castle

Thanks.
You've got a few more areas. They don't lead to the end of the game. You have to do something in particular to initiate that. Go straight in Lothric Castle or explore the area beyond Oceiros harder.

Um, do I just got over 100k souls after teaming up with another red to beat a host and two sunbros. They must have been insanely high level. Are there cheaters on PS4? Should I worry about a ban?

Late Flag

Nah it's okay :)

I'll try to beat him fair and square, and if I can't, I'll post here for help. Just can't believe how dumb they made to get 100% in this game. Not even BB was this bad even with the Chalice Dungeons.

Yeah, but Bloodborne was the exception. All of the Souls titles have platinums that are complicated as hell. I'm sitting here at the start of NG+ seriously a little stressed over making sure that I complete Sirris's and Siegward's quest lines all the way this time. It's so easy to accidentally fail quests in this game.

Jingo

Help a friend here, when i see a boss and they say they are weak to dark, what are they talking about? Dark swords? Is there more items who use dark?

Tarkus

Help a friend here, when i see a boss and they say they are weak to dark, what are they talking about? Dark swords? Is there more items who use dark?
Dark damage comes from a form of magic, gained by infusion of weapons with a Deep or Dark gem. Scales with INT and FTH.

Jafku

Um, do I just got over 100k souls after teaming up with another red to beat a host and two sunbros. They must have been insanely high level. Are there cheaters on PS4? Should I worry about a ban?

i'm walking around with 7 million souls. 90% of that gotten through farming those silver knights. Not out of the ordinary....

SDR-UK

Applying Human Pine Resin will give you dark damage which is what this is referencing.

Late Flag

Dark damage. You can infuse weapons with Deep or Dark gems to do this, and some sorceries/pyromancies do dark damage instead of magic or fire.

Yeah. I just got 150k from a gank squad. Didn't win, unfortunately, but the host had to summon new phantoms constantly.

What losers, being SL 200+, running around with ultra greatdhields and dark swords, ganking invaders 4v2 or 4v1, and still getting killed over and over.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
i'm walking around with 7 million souls. 90% of that gotten through farming those silver knights. Not out of the ordinary....
is it? I thought it was the souls you had on hand. Well if that's the case then he must be extremely high leveled
No, it has never been based on the number of souls the (defeated) player is carrying. It's always been based on the defeated player' soul level, typically 10% of what is required for the next level up, though that's varied somewhat from game to game. Like in Demon's Souls, when fighting red phantoms (or hosts, as a red phantom) you'd get the actual amount of souls the player needed for their next level, and the losing player would actually lose a soul level. xD

Yeah. I just got 150k from a gank squad. Didn't win, unfortunately, but the host had to summon new phantoms constantly.

What losers, being SL 200+, running around with ultra greatdhields and dark swords, ganking invaders 4v2 or 4v1, and still getting killed over and over.
Scrubs will be scrubs. :)

Reminds me of a forest ganker I killed in DS1, pre-patch... I was level 35 or so, using a weak-ass weapon (like +6 probably), killed this ninja flipping Havel guy and got 800k souls. First playthrough. Felt wrong to spend them on levels since I could have broken my own game, so I just spent them on consumables and pyros, lol.

It was 1v1 too. Losing to a level 35 while you're level 700+, how bad can you be?

Jafku

No, it has never been based on the number of souls the (defeated) player is carrying. It's always been based on the defeated player' soul level, typically 10% of what is required for the next level up, though that's varied somewhat from game to game. Like in Demon's Souls, when fighting red phantoms (or hosts, as a red phantom) you'd get the actual amount of souls the player needed for their next level, and the losing player would actually lose a soul level. xD

Ah. Well now I know.

Alo0oy

Banned
How is Coop broken? Using passwords works perfectly fine. I'm 30h into a Coop run with a friend and the only broken thing is how many souls you get from running through each area twice and the amount of shackles you get from the constant invasions if you use Dried Fingers.

What the soapstone system does is broadcast your sign ~30 seconds after you put it on the ground, most of the time when you see a sign it has already been used up, so you end up with the message "unable to summon phantom". What that leads to is 10-15 minutes of running around near the bonfire trying to summon people if you're doing a Dried Finger + 3 Summons run.

The Red Eye Orb doesn't have that problem because it uses a proper matchmaking system with queues and everything.

The bell system from BB was an extremely better system, sure the matchmaking system itself was broken for MONTHS after launch, and I was one of the people that bitched about it a lot in the OT, but once they fixed it coop became extremely seamless, even right now it's easier to get a full team of randoms in BB than it is in DS3, which is a joke considering which game is newer.

2AdEPT

Too heavy.

LOL

OK you guys sucked me in to watching ENB....but now you have to listen to my rant. KAy goes days in between shows now which makes her glacially slow progress even more glacial, and although i normally skip ENB's walkthroughs because he is usually working with the guide and comes across as a know it all, and yet this is owing to privileged early and comprehensive access; this time he is supposedly "BLIND" so this aspect enticed me a bit as well.

You gotta give ENB credit for the lore aspect, he knows the whole game and more details than most would hope to know. Notwithstanding, I am highly sceptical that A.) he didnt purposely save the gardens and oceiros fight for later, I mean he found the area a LONG time before he went there to complete it....talked it up saying he might not even bother with "optional" areas, and then froths over finding the "best area in souls" by accident and B.) fortuitously both that area and the dragon area ended up being the last places he will go. THis stinks a bit to be honest...his "BLIND" let's play will now finish on the hardest boss, and hugest lore point in the game, how fitting and non-anticlimactic! I know he said he didnt like the poison in the garden area, but come on...he was there...did he turn his tail and run away from any other area with a boss in it, with obvious mainline lore progression? NOPE. He left demons ruins for a while but went back there first before the garden on purpose imo...just my opinion ;p

THe lore aspect is genius in this game (as it inspires people to fill in the blanks themselves thereby ensuring less lore writers on payroll than they would have to have for a major story like LOTR etc.) but what you are given is all there is. There is no manuscript at FROMsoft headquarters that has the locked away "true story." It has always been intentionally open ended, half of it makes no sense and is colloquial on purpose to avoid having to make things taught. Yes its cool, yes its genius and no other developers do as good a job with it, but please stop insinuating that there is some profound story locked away to uncover, there never has been and never will be! Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the untended graves was like the start of the game most likely for asset management and making deadlines purposes, and ENB was unconvincing when he at least tried to defend the obvious question most poeple think when they see repeated assets. It doesnt tell you in game what purpose the alternate reality really serves other than its a fireless version? the eyes can see flickers in the darkness? That's it? That doesnt take much writing and I just wish the lore types wouldn't froth at the mouth how profound stuff like this is. Half of me likes to take part and get all excited with ENB, (and I really appreciate that he expands the community and that is good for everyone who likes souls) but the other half of me feels manipulated by FROM, and possible ENB...I can jsut see them laughing at us:

A story! they think there is LORE?? Bwahhahahaha it tooks us 5 minutes to make up that BS about linking the flames BWAHAHHAHHHA ;p

Nowise10

First post in a Dark Souls thread.

Got to Pontiff Sulyvahn last night. Oh dear god I don't know how I'm going to get through this guy. After probably like 14 attempts so far, I've probably only taken like 40% his health down on my best attempt

Top Bottom