• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

I care but I cant see anything? Broken gif for me only?

Ok I gotta say I HATE ALDRICH. YOu are the worst excuse for a FROM SOulsborne boss, even worse than bed of chaos and approaching rage worthy of Shrine of Amana!!!

THose of you following the Hyper mode run I am doing were probably thinking, ok now..giggle giggle, jsut wait until he gets to Alrdich..thats where his run will end.....well it almost did...took me at least an hour and about 20 runs...but FINALLY got the perfect RNG and only got hit once on the way to VICTORY!

Fixed it, try now.

Anyone on PC do you have a problem maintaining 60 FPS at max settings? My rig is pretty good, but for some reason I stay between 45-55 FPS :/. The only good thing is that my graphics card fan speed increases a lot when I do max settings but slows down during a loading screen. So now I can alt+tab and do other things while I wait to get summoned as a bluebro.

Edit: I decided to just keep it at high, the difference is negligible and I'm at a steady 60 FPS that way. Is DaS 3 poorly optimized, or what?

Someone mentioned here that Concords drop rate is similiar to Channeler's Trident in DaS1.

Is that true?!?

Cause I was farming that Trident for 1+ hour - just to drop even once!!!

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death

Ok I gotta say I HATE ALDRICH. YOu are the worst excuse for a FROM SOulsborne boss, even worse than bed of chaos and approaching rage worthy of Shrine of Amana!!!

THose of you following the Hyper mode run I am doing were probably thinking, ok now..giggle giggle, jsut wait until he gets to Alrdich..thats where his run will end.....well it almost did...took me at least an hour and about 20 runs...but FINALLY got the perfect RNG and only got hit once on the way to VICTORY!

grats

I hate that dick. I don't hate him more than BoC, but definitely on my top 3 least favourite fights. I helped someone fight him and that guy got the luckiest RNG ever. I try fighting him after, "screw you, 1 quadtrillion arrows, three soul spears, and a hundred floating orbs :mad:!"

Someone mentioned here that Concords drop rate is similiar to Channeler's Trident in DaS1.

Is that true?!?

On average from what I've heard, and seen you get on every 50 silver knight kills. You only needed one Trident. You need a lot of Concords.

2AdEPT

Fixed it, try now.

Anyone on PC do you have a problem maintaining 60 FPS at max settings? My rig is pretty good, but for some reason I stay between 45-55 FPS :/. The only good thing is that my graphics card fan speed increases a lot when I do max settings but slows down during a loading screen. So now I can alt+tab and do other things while I wait to get summoned as a bluebro.

HHahaha! Yah dat a gud'un. (
I like bathroom humor
)

Yeah I dunno I should probably reduce the max settings as I have had a few frame crawls and some crashes (although those have gone away making me think it was FROM and their patches cured it?) I have a GTX 680 aftermarket and although its getting old its never had any issues with heat...it sits in a pretty good airflow rich case.

HHahaha! Yah dat a gud'un. (
I like bathroom humor
)

Yeah I dunno I should probably reduce the max settings as I have had a few frame crawls and some crashes (although those have gone away making me think it was FROM and their patches cured it?) I have a GTX 680 aftermarket and although its getting old its never had any issues with heat...it sits in a pretty good airflow rich case.

I have the GTX 970, heat wise it's fine because my case is great with airflow too. However, if I do max settings it dips so terribly, to the point of complete freezing for 2-3 seconds. If I do high I get 60fps, and sometimes dips to 57. I had to set it to low at one point because FROMs patch would cause a lot of freezing and stuttering.

Dahbomb

I spend like 4 hours doing PvP invasions. These were my findings:

*Regular invasions work pretty damn well, you don't have to wait long at all. Usually you will fight against a host plus buddy but sometimes you can get lucky and it's the host by themselves.

*Player skill around covenant areas is high but other areas it's low. I easily farmed the 30 shackles at the area right before Consumed Gardens because the enemies do a lot of damage there and it's easy to trap host in places. I was using a dual wield bleed build meaning if I could sandwich then they die real fast.

*This works for the Pale Tongue too but I already had enough from doing random invasions earlier on during the GAF testing.

*Aldrich covenant also works fine for me. It takes longer to invade a world, like 5-10 minutes vs around a minute or two for regular invasions. Luckily I have seen that in that area the host can easily get swarmed by other invaders. I had one invasion in which it was like 5 against 2 lol. Pretty straightforward 10 dregs here.

*Still can't get myself summoned for Darkmoon yet when I invade every third invasion gets a Darkmoon summon to counter me! It's definitely working but I think either a lot of people don't have it equipped, they die/kill before summoning or maybe I am doing something wrong because I have never had a Blue help me or been summoned more than once.

I just need the Concords. I guess I have to suck it up and farm them through offline method.

I just need the Concords. I guess I have to suck it up and farm them through offline method.

Nah don't do it offline. Just keep it on and farm the Silver Knights. You might get lucky and be summoned :p. I'm not sure if the invisible counter that lets you get summoned to any area resets if you rest at a bonfire though.

jonjonaug

Is that true?!?

All of the covenant items have an abysmal drop rate, just like they all did in Dark 1. The difference is that you need 30 of the items for four of the covenants to get all of the achievements instead of 10 like in Dark 1, each covenant with rank ups has its own unique item (instead of how two of the covenants in Dark 1 used Humanity), and you can only get one or two items outside of drops and online interaction per playthrough. Compare to Dark 1 where you could get enough per playthrough that by the end of NG++ you had enough to rank up all covenants except for Darkmoon, and even then you still only needed 10 of the Souvenirs of Reprisal and the crow-ladies were nicely bunched together.

In Dark 3, you need 30 concords, the enemy that drops them is one of the more difficult ones in the game, and the "best" spot to farm that enemy has you killing two per minute. The other covenants that require 30 items are much easier to farm, with one being farmable from weak enemies only a few steps from a bonfire and the others can be obtained through normal Red Eye Orb invasions or co-op play in the case of Sunlight Medals. So it's really just the concord farming that's shitty.

Meccs

I spend like 4 hours doing PvP invasions. These were my findings:

*Regular invasions work pretty damn well, you don't have to wait long at all. Usually you will fight against a host plus buddy but sometimes you can get lucky and it's the host by themselves.

*Player skill around covenant areas is high but other areas it's low. I easily farmed the 30 shackles at the area right before Consumed Gardens because the enemies do a lot of damage there and it's easy to trap host in places. I was using a dual wield bleed build meaning if I could sandwich then they die real fast.
snipsnipsnip.
What's your Soul Level though? My first character is at SL120, second at SL85 and now the third at SL65. The last one is by far the most fun. There are quite a few 1vs1 or 1vs2 which is the "gank" I'm comfortable with. Also the Pontiff and Dungeon zone is really good for invasions because of how close and aggressive enemies are. At this level there is also Aldrich which is good for some reverse ganking.

Dahbomb

Level 125 for me.

Yeah Dungeon would be a great invasion spot too.

Pretty much any area that you can think of where you had trouble going through the first time is a good invasion spot.

I continued my random character, but I mostly farmed souls to buyout spell shopkeepers in case some become useful, and grabbed the
Silver Serpent Ring from the tree skip outside of Firelink
. I did however make a decision for this character based on the build the dice roller dictated, and that is to start Leonhard's questline to
eventually get his Crescent Curved Sword from killing him which scales with Int

I am not sure I needed to do this (probably not, now that I think of it), but I went ahead and invaded a player. Win or lose I'm pretty sure it counts either way for Leonhard to trigger giving me the key for the Red Orb.

With that done I'm gonna progress tomorrow and continue Road of Sacrifices from Halfway Fortress.

Also, I figured out that the Lothric Knight Helmet looks pretty good with the Blue Cleric Robe.

Meccs

So I can only have one Caestus per playthrough? I can't buy another one anywhere? Is that true? Either I am blind or no one in the Shrine sells those?

2AdEPT

So I can only have one Caestus per playthrough? I can't buy another one anywhere? Is that true? Either I am blind or no one in the Shrine sells those?

pretty sure the casetus only requires the one get....press triangle and a second one will pop out of nowhere! same for claws.

KHlover

Banned
Gotta say, the Silver Cat Ring turned out to be a lot more useful than I imagined. Was a great help in farming Vertebrae Shackles. Used Dried Fingers and waited near the pit with the Giant in I
rityll
D
ungeon
. Fought the invaders near the edge and at some point roll off. More than half of the invaders followed me and immediate died to the falling damage. Got 10 shackles in like an hour this way :D

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta say, the Silver Cat Ring turned out to be a lot more useful than I imagined. Was a great help in farming Vertebrae Shackles. Used Dried Fingers and waited near the pit with the Giant in I
rityll
D
ungeon
. Fought the invaders near the edge and at some point roll off. More than half of the invaders followed me and immediate died to the falling damage. Got 10 shackles in like an hour this way :D

I like that. Well played!

*Aldrich covenant also works fine for me. It takes longer to invade a world, like 5-10 minutes vs around a minute or two for regular invasions. Luckily I have seen that in that area the host can easily get swarmed by other invaders. I had one invasion in which it was like 5 against 2 lol. Pretty straightforward 10 dregs here.

*Still can't get myself summoned for Darkmoon yet when I invade every third invasion gets a Darkmoon summon to counter me! It's definitely working but I think either a lot of people don't have it equipped, they die/kill before summoning or maybe I am doing something wrong because I have never had a Blue help me or been summoned more than once.

Aldritch faithful invasion was so quick for me, I wasn't able to get in the menu and activate a homeward bone to leave the area or switch covenant between summons. I ended up with 34 dredges.

I have only seen 1 Darkmoon phantom, so for me, it was much easier to get 30 proofs has a low SL Blue Sentinel.

Hey, does anyone have a Wolf Knight Greatshield on PC they don't want please? Trying to complete my Artorias cosplay and the grind is killing me :-/

rityll
D
ungeon

2 invaders were chasing me in the road of sacrifices near that long ladder. I ran to the ladder but somehow they both passed me and got on the ladder while I was still up. So I back up a bit and somehow they both fell off the ladder.

I started as an assassin and I haven't removed the spook. It's way more handy than you'd expect.

Sarcasm

So I defeated the twins
very close siblings
and I go to my checklist. I typical go over it. I haven't since I got to the dragon bridge thing.

Well yea confusing as heck.

Irina A: By giving her just the Braille Divine Tome of Carim and Braille Divine Tome of Lothric, or by giving her all 4 Tomes, but not buying any Dark Miracles, you can make Irina a Fire Keeper. Just buy all her standard spells, plus Med Heal, Tears of Denial, Force, Bountiful Light, Blessed Weapon, and Magic Barrier. She'll move to the bottom of the tower to the left of Firelink Shrine after you refresh the world and now act as a Fire Keeper. If you did give her the Londor and Deep Tome instead of Karla, they will be on the ground beside her and you can now give them to Karla

Irina B: If you gave Irina the Londor Braille Divine Tome and Deep Braille Divine Tome and bought ANY of these spells (Deep Protection, Gnaw, Dark Blade, Vow of Silence, or Dead Again), she will have disappeared for you sometime in the game from her normal location in Firelink Shrine. She would then be outside near the Index Gundyr fight area with Eygon. Eygon will believe you have killed her and is hostile. Upon killing him, you see that Irina is still actually alive, but the corruption has begun for her. This is an alternate way of Morne's Armor Set being available for purchase. After Irina returns to Firelink Shrine, buying all the Dark Miracles listed above will fully corrupt her and she'll no longer act as a vendor to you. Equipping the Morne's Gauntlets allows you to believe you to be Eygon and she'll ask to be killed. Do so and you can give her ashes to the Shrine Handmaid to sell her miracles

Uh yea what?

Last tome I got was on the dragon bridge area place.

So I defeated the twins
very close siblings
and I go to my checklist. I typical go over it. I haven't since I got to the dragon bridge thing.

Well yea confusing as heck.

Uh yea what?

Last tome I got was on the dragon bridge area place.
You must've missed a bunch of the tomes, just don't give any of the tomes it says not to give to Irena if you want to see her quest to the end, give them to Karla instead.

Sarcasm

You must've missed a bunch of the tomes, just don't give any of the tomes it says not to give to Irena if you want to see her quest to the end, give them to Karla instead.

I gave a couple to Karla. I just don't remember which lol. But I only have the new tome nothing else.

Meccs

Maybe left hand a claw or something with the infusion you want and then dual wield the Caestus?

Noooo. I need one for FP and one for HP regain, so I can swap them back and forth. Caestus because low weight :p
Doesn't matter, I have mine on blessed now. Who needs FP right? Still strange that you can't get them from anywhere else.

Noooo. I need one for FP and one for HP regain, so I can swap them back and forth. Caestus because low weight :p
Doesn't matter, I have mine on blessed now. Who needs FP right? Still strange that you can't get them from anywhere else.

I'm pretty sure you can still get the benefits of a left hand weapon even if you are two handing a right handed weapon, because that's how it works with Hollowed.

Meccs

I'm pretty sure you can still get the benefits of a left hand weapon even if you are two handing a right handed weapon, because that's how it works with Hollowed.
I want a second Caestus so I can infuse one with Blessed and one with Simple and can swap them out depending on if I need FP or HP. Nothing else. Call it lazy convenience.

How the f*** can people two shot me with a buffed Estoc? Two R1 and dead, 1600 HP gone. And of course someone with a Havel Greatshield.

Beware the buffed estoc.

You can easily see what tome you're missing by looking at what miracles Irena sells.

For a test I equipped the Blades of Darkmoon at SL 102 and hang around the area for an hour. Got one summon and it failed.

I'm pretty sure it's just SL related. On PS4, you can tell about half the players defeated the boss of that area once. I'm so glad I went through that early.

Applemancer

Neo Member
Forgive me if this question has been answered before, but who writes the item descriptions? I know a lot of the lore/setting comes from them, but is there any indication of whose perspective they're written from?

I'm 8 hours in and enjoying it a lot. It's a huge step up from Dark Souls 2. It's still lacking something though and feels a bit too familiar. For me it's:

1. Dark Souls
2. Bloodborne
3. Demon's Souls
4. Dark Souls 3
5. Being hit over the head with a hammer
6. Dark Souls 2

I just got to Aldrich and so far he's the only boss so far that's given me any trouble. I'd like to blame it on my terrible build (around 20 in Str/Dex/Int because I wanted to give sorceries a try for once) but a lot of it comes down to me not being able to dodge its magic for shit.

Meccs

So my personal challenge to "Parry at least once per fight or die trying" has actually worked out so far. My timing has improved quite a bit. Still a bit shy when it comes to U(GS). They just hurt so much if you miss the window.

LiK

Man, German Spy's LP really sucks now. Not only is he still playing at a snail's pace but he's so overleveled for the current area, he's basically one shotting most things. Funny thing was he said he didn't wanna level up that much but his weapons are. And he keeps dying to some easy areas and ends up showing the entire runback every time. I'm just skimming to parts where he might get some challenge now.

Another hour later and I got summoned as a SL 102 Blade of Darkmoon. To the Archdragon Peak surprinsingly. 3 secs later the invader died in another portion of the map and I got send back with a proof.

I think the experiment proves my point. There's very few high level Way of the Blue wearers and the invaders don't live long at those levels. I think I'll keep the covenant just to see how high I can rise in the Order of Knights.

Deku Tree

I find Champion Gundyr is by far the easiest boss to co-op farm Sunbro medals.

A
ncient Wyvern
as long as the host doesn't die... I usually get summoned very quickly and it takes like 1-2 minutes to finish. You get like 20K+ souls per run too.

Another hour later and I got summoned as a SL 102 Blade of Darkmoon. To the Archdragon Peak surprinsingly. 3 secs later the invader died in another portion of the map and I got send back with a proof.

I think the experiment proves my point. There's very few high level Way of the Blue wearers and the invaders don't live long at those levels. I think I'll keep the covenant just to see how high I can rise in the Order of Knights.

From really needs to do something about this because not many people are farming covenants in the early game when they are low level. Their system isn't working.

Sarcasm

Hopefully the DLC fixes the broken covenant system if that is the case. Or everybody has to get together and some do WoB while others darkmoon or something. It is total BS to fidn out later when you're SL93 that you're only option is to grind. Especially when they make it worse than a F2P MMO.

Jafku

Hopefully the DLC fixes the broken covenant system if that is the case. Or everybody has to get together and some do WoB while others darkmoon or something. It is total BS to fidn out later when you're SL93 that you're only option is to grind. Especially when they make it worse than a F2P MMO.
Now that I've finished farming this is what I'm doing. LV. 125 with Way of the blue on and dried finger

Top Bottom