• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

I'm considering putting in some faith to boost the damage of my dragonslayer greataxe. The weapon art is the ultimate ganksquad killer. Might as well get a miracle then as well. Which is better: Sacred Oath or Deep Protection? I'm guessing Oath? Also, Lightning Blade won't work on this weapon, right?

First post in a Dark Souls thread.

Got to Pontiff Sulyvahn last night. Oh dear god I don't know how I'm going to get through this guy. After probably like 14 attempts so far, I've probably only taken like 40% his health down on my best attempt

He is pretty tough. Probably the one I had most problems with so far. It's probably my favourite fight so far, as well.

SDR-UK

Where the fuck did people get the idea that heavy weapons are not viable for PVE? Dragonslayer Axe just wrecked
Nameless King
for me.

Was this ever a thing? My first play-through consisted of me using a Great Axe and then switching to Yhorm's Great Machete. Heavy strength based weapons rock.

kaos.

Finally finished my SL1 run! Now onto low level PVP and covenant rewards.

Congrats!
I'm doing a SL1 too (today i killed abyss watchers)... i'm afraid if i think that
pontyff sulyvahn
's battle is approaching fast...
In your opinion, who is the most difficult boss to beat @ SL1?

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm considering putting in some faith to boost the damage of my dragonslayer greataxe. The weapon art is the ultimate ganksquad killer. Might as well get a miracle then as well. Which is better: Sacred Oath or Deep Protection? I'm guessing Oath? Also, Lightning Blade won't work on this weapon, right?

I've used that and Morne's hammer, and for ganksquad purposes, Morne's hammer is significantly better, it requires very high stat investment, but it's so worth it, best heavy weapon in the game IMO.

EDIT: especially if you have a simple infused buckler on your back, which gives you infinite Wrath of Gods with an unbreakable hyper armor.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not like you have a choice now, you usually have ~3 seconds to use a sign before someone else does.
Maybe but say you summon a player who's being annoying/terrible etc. then at least if you have to resummon someone (you died, they died, whatever) then you know to avoid that sign.

Alo0oy

Banned
Maybe but say you summon a player who's being annoying/terrible etc. then at least if you have to resummon someone (you died, they died, whatever) then you know to avoid that sign.

That may be true, but the benefits of a matchmaking system outweighs having to use 20 summon signs just to get a proper ganksquad going.

Deku Tree

I never liked the bell system in BB because I played at launch and at that time summoning was broken. BB was a much better game several months after launch but I had played it to death by the time they fixed all the issues.

Alo0oy

Banned
I never liked the bell system in BB because I played at launch and at that time summoning was broken. BB was a much better game several months after launch but I had played it to death by the time they fixed all the issues.

Yeah, I was one of the people that complained about it, but after they fixed it, coop became so seamless it made the soapstone system look ancient, I understand why people hate it though, because it only got fixed MONTHS after launch, and most people played it around launch.

Try it out now & you'll see how much easier it is to summon people than even the more recent game.

Meccs

I just spend ~30 minutes in a fight club killing everybody lol felt good. Only lost because I had to take a phone call. Naturally players weren't that great but I take it.

Deku Tree

Yeah, I was one of the people that complained about it, but after they fixed it, coop became so seamless it made the soapstone system look ancient, I understand why people hate it though, because it only got fixed MONTHS after launch, and most people played it around launch.

Try it out now & you'll see how much easier it is to summon people than even the more recent game.

I liked how in BB you could kill the handmaiden ringing the bell lady quickly if you didn't want to be invaded and just wanted to co-op. Kinda nice to be able to avoid invasions if that's not what you are looking for...

People don't seem to know how to play against the halberd. I spent most of today doing PvP via red soapstone at level 60, and I must have won 80% of my matches. So far I've been the only halberd user I've seen. People aren't used to dealing with the range.

KHlover

Banned
Where the fuck did people get the idea that heavy weapons are not viable for PVE? Dragonslayer Axe just wrecked
Nameless King
for me.

Dunno. Greatsword wrecks EVERYTHING, but maybe it got buffed in one of the patches after launch, idk.

People don't seem to know how to play against the halberd. I spent most of today doing PvP via red soapstone at level 60, and I must have won 80% of my matches. So far I've been the only halberd user I've seen. People aren't used to dealing with the range.

Halberds have some nice tracking, too. With good timing I usually caught enemies with the second swing after they rolled through the first one.

Got to Pontiff Sulyvahn last night. Oh dear god I don't know how I'm going to get through this guy. After probably like 14 attempts so far, I've probably only taken like 40% his health down on my best attempt

His combos usually go for 5 hits, but he's also kind of an idiot and will keep attacking even after you roll past. You want to get behind him. Even getting in one hit at a time builds up fast. The only move that's definitely for sure safe to punish is the move where he does a long windup and then jumps forward with both weapons.

Meccs

My favorite weapon too. I usually switch to a Carthus Curved Sword if I encounter someone with it and run into their face. Works most of the time if you don't give them the space they need. Very rarely used at that level range though. I also spend the most time with my SL65 at Pontiffs. Great fun at that level.

Persona7

Banned
it is kind of funny how often I see random phantoms with the symbol of avarice at the
anor londo bonfire
. confirmed guide readers

KHlover

Banned
Nothing quite like getting killed 15 feet away from a weapon with a ~5 foot range.
Yeah but at least you don't get backstabbed from that range anymore. Fucking DS1 :S

Although their solution to fix lagstabs is almost just as bad, now you can't hit any backstabs since enemies (even happened against NPC!) can just literally walk out of the backstab animation and you'll only hit air.

Deku Tree

Played Bloodborne the other day with SDR to finally finish off the optional DLC boss L
awrence

The roll felt very different. In DS3 basically whenever you press the button to roll. In BB half the time when I press the same button I jump backwards (when pushing back on the stick), and the other half the time you roll. But the jump backwards has no i-frames that I could tell.

Skii

Man I'm just thinking about how amazing it is that we finally know
who Gwyn's first born is. I actually never really liked it being Solaire or Andre. But Gwyn's son being a true God of War who had survived many ages makes him a lot more epic imo

I just feel like they could've tied it into the ending somehow.
Like facing the Nameless King is some massive story point as well considering he is Gwyn's first born and his Soul/ashes could finally end the cycle.

I just feel like there was a lot of potential there that could've solved the mediocre ending.

DJ_Lae

I finally got around to starting Dark Souls 3 last week after wanting to polish off DOAX3 and Ratchet & Clank (and ended up platinuming both, which I know will not happen with DS3).

First time I've really marathoned a game in years. In some ways it's very much more of the same, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. If I had a complaint it's that the game seems a bit too easy, but maybe it's just because I've played them all before. Still, Dark Souls 3 seems very generous with bonfires and elevators/shortcuts, and at one point got a bit ridiculous as you can actually see another bonfire from the archives one.

I've avoided reading anything about the game other than a couple of peeks at NPC questlines as I hate the way everything is segmented off and it's so easy to miss stuff.

I also surprised myself by sticking with the butcher knife since finding it, as the combination of speed and strength scaling makes quick work of most stuff (and the zweihander, my favourite DS1 sword, for when I need more reach).

I think I'm nearing the end of the game, or it's even longer than I think.

edit - I also confess this is the first time I've gone offline in a Souls game. Partly to avoid the hints and partly to avoid invaders, which is always my least favourite aspect.

Soulhouf

The summoning failure seems to occur only when the cross region matchmaking is enabled.
I've never seen it when that option is locked.
PS4, Japanese version here.

On a different note, my Berserk run came to an end. I'm so happy I finally was able to make a Guts cosplay in a Souls game. Spoiler tag because the screenshot has been taken in the last area.

6JDdOpz.jpg

Alo0oy

Banned
Yeah but at least you don't get backstabbed from that range anymore. Fucking DS1 :S

Although their solution to fix lagstabs is almost just as bad, now you can't hit any backstabs since enemies (even happened against NPC!) can just literally walk out of the backstab animation and you'll only hit air.

Lagstabs are still in the game, not as frequent, but they're still there.

Sulyvahn was probably the hardest boss for me, he's really hard to punish as his recovery from attacks is very quick and he will constantly be on the offensive. Like someone said earlier you've got play him fairly defensively for the first half, just get quick pokes in then get back to dodging. In the second half I try to burn his double down ASAP, because it can get pretty difficult to dodge both their attacks. Keep at it though, it was so satisfying the first time I killed him!

If your still having trouble I believe there are two phantoms you can summon, and I've always seen a lot of summon signs from other players in front of the boss arena. It's definitely more satisfying to kill him solo though.
The summoning failure seems to occur only when the cross region matchmaking is enabled.
I've never seen it when that option is locked.
PS4, Japanese version here.

On a different note, my Berserk run came to an end. I'm so happy I finally was able to make a Guts cosplay in a Souls game. Spoiler tag because the screenshot has been taken in the last area.

I've been playing SOTFS and my god does DS3 look a thousand times better. The aras in DS2 are drab and empty. It's also hard getting used to how much slower and deliberate the combat is in DS2.

Man I'm just thinking about how amazing it is that we finally know
who Gwyn's first born is. I actually never really liked it being Solaire or Andre. But Gwyn's son being a true God of War who had survived many ages makes him a lot more epic imo

I just feel like they could've tied it into the ending somehow.
Like facing the Nameless King is some massive story point as well considering he is Gwyn's first born and his Soul/ashes could finally end the cycle.

I just feel like there was a lot of potential there that could've solved the mediocre ending.
That makes a lot of sense actually, it would've been a great reveal.

I don't really like his design, it's a bit typical anime/JRPG for my liking - when I first saw the statues in Archdraon Peak I thought I was going to be facing Super Ornstein 2.0 or something, by that point anything was possible after Dragonslayer Armour - but storywise I think that's a great idea. Cetainly better than the tired old Dural idea of the end boss just having access to all the player moves.

Skii

That makes a lot of sense actually, it would've been a great reveal.

I don't really like his design, it's a bit typical anime/JRPG for my liking - when I first saw the statues in Archdraon Peak I thought I was going to be facing Super Ornstein 2.0 or something, by that point anything was possible after Dragonslayer Armour - but storywise I think that's a great idea. Cetainly better than the tired old Dural idea of the end boss just having access to all the player moves.

Yeah. It just makes sense that Gwyn started the age of fire and his son will somehow end it.

I didn't really like the end boss either. There was no emotional connection - similar to DS2. Demon's, DS1 and Bloodborne's final bosses all were constantly referenced in the story or you had known the character. There was almost an element of melancholy to the fight. Just didn't feel that with Souls of Cinder

Skii

OMG ENB found
Archdragon Peak
! I just can't wait until he fights the
Nameless King
!

Can't wait for him to find out
who he is!
. ENB is gushing over DS3 at the moment haha. It does finish pretty strongly.

Vena

Yeah. It just makes sense that Gwyn started the age of fire and his son will somehow end it.

I didn't really like the end boss either. There was no emotional connection - similar to DS2. Demon's, DS1 and Bloodborne's final bosses all were constantly referenced in the story or you had known the character. There was almost an element of melancholy to the fight. Just didn't feel that with Souls of Cinder

Dunno. I personally though that Cinders
phase two
was very "connected" as you saw the last gasps of
Gwyn
's legacy stand up to fight you, and the piano kicked in.

Skii

phase two
Gwyn

But what does it add to the story? How does it add to the finality of the trilogy?
I've always disliked using older bosses for the new games. It never adds anything to them. I wanted the final boss of DS3 to be its own entity like the Nameless King. Not a faceless amalgamation of the previous Lords of Cinder. It just doesn't mean anything significant.

There are a lot of really good story driven bosses in DS3 which makes the final boss that much more lacklustre. The fight itself is really fun but it just didn't really mean much to me.

Soulhouf

phase two
Gwyn

No kidding! The piano notes that are introduced in the 2nd phase had the strongest nostalgia effect on me in the entire game. It was so good.

The fight club outside Pontiff's is so goddamn amazing. I spent like 4 hours there today.

There was a dude in a full-on pope cosplay hosting the club one time. Shit had me rolling. One time I fought a dude who healed during fight club. I refused to heal, and he did it four times. Finally I had to use an Estus at the end, and right after that I managed to combo him to death to the brink of death. He rolled back and started using the Estus flask again, and I hit him with a fire orb in mid-animation to win the fight. I looked up, and a bunch of red phantoms and the host were all cheering.

Fuck the people who heal in fight club. It's fine to heal during invasions, but when we're all clearly trying to run a Mortal Kombat tournament, you just fuck things up for everyone else.

Tarkus

The fight club outside Pontiff's is so goddamn amazing. I spent like 4 hours there today.

There was a dude in a full-on pope cosplay hosting the club one time. Shit had me rolling. One time I fought a dude who healed during fight club. I refused to heal, and he did it four times. Finally I had to use an Estus at the end, and right after that I managed to combo him to death to the brink of death. He rolled back and started using the Estus flask again, and I hit him with a fire orb in mid-animation to win the fight. I looked up, and a bunch of red phantoms and the host were all cheering.
Usually when someone heals, they get rushed by the entire club. It's fucking great spanking heal scrubs. Almost as good as wrecking a 3v1 gank squad.

I wanted to use different weapons in NG+ but I find myself falling back on good old rapiers. I was like this in BB too - I always went back to the saw cleaver.

The Lucerne was a favourite of mine in DS1, but it just seems too slow for me DS3, maybe I should giver daggers and a bleed build a go. Bleed only really works for bosses though I guess since most regular enemies are dead before the bleed even kicks in.

Tarkus

I wanted to use different weapons in NG+ but I find myself falling back on good old rapiers. I was like this in BB too - I always went back to the saw cleaver.

The Lucerne was a favourite of mine in DS1, but it just seems too slow for me DS3, maybe I should giver daggers and a bleed build a go. Bleed only really works for bosses though I guess since most regular enemies are dead before the bleed even kicks in.
I use Lucy quite a bit for PvP. It's a fine weapon with great reach and low stamina consumption. If the Leo Ring was worth a fuck in this game Lucy would be OP.

Try the Thrall Axe. It's fast like a dagger and does more damage. It has the quickstep skill too.

poodpick

Congrats!
I'm doing a SL1 too (today i killed abyss watchers)... i'm afraid if i think that
pontyff sulyvahn
's battle is approaching fast...
In your opinion, who is the most difficult boss to beat @ SL1?

Soul of Cinder
by far for me. If I used a +10 raw astora ss instead of a +4 it would have been much easier. No other boss gave me as much trouble the boss I mentioned took me probably 6 hours to beat.

You can't make a single stat lower than what your class started with? That's lame, I wanted to make a quality/faith PVP character after I finished my run.

Beating an Estoc user is so goddamn satisfying.

Losing to an Estoc loser is the worst shit. Smug fucks.

Another best thing: hitting someone with a pyromancy while they're charging up that Father Gascoine attack that one of the big swords does.

neoism

Fuck the people who heal in fight club. It's fine to heal during invasions, but when we're all clearly trying to run a Mortal Kombat tournament, you just fuck things up for everyone else.
yea had a blast there today plus not sure if the aldrich covanent was borked before but got mad invasions .. since i didnt kill the main boss of
londo
yet?

Top Bottom