• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Deku Tree

ENB gonna go for platinum on his next character. I want to watch 15 episodes of him Concord farming or waiting to be summoned.

I Farmed Concords very efficiently for about an hour today. Zero Concords. Facepalm.

GulAtiCa

ENB gonna go for platinum on his next character. I want to watch 15 episodes of him Concord farming or waiting to be summoned.

I Farmed Concords very efficiently for about an hour today. Zero Concords. Facepalm.
If he's smart, he will do a low-level build for the Blue Sentinels.

Marche90

So, where to begin? I got the game on PC a while ago, but never got around starting it, so today I finally decided to give this a try. Well, what do you know, I'm getting my ass completely kicked and got completely blocked by the first boss. Try to dodge or defend? Welp, get hit and my character goes down pretty fast. To be fair to the game, I'm having issues with my setup, since my mouse IS kind of crap, and the surface where I'm playing even crappier, so camera issues are normal. Even then, I feel that I'm not even touching the boss AT ALL. Whenever I try to reach it, I might get one hit, but I'm having issues retreating to avoid the next hit. If it helps, I'm using a... lancer, I guess? I have a lance and a shield.

Do you recommend switching from KB+M to a gamepad, or just get a better mouse? Any tips to manage to land hits more consistently? More tips in general?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Stayed away from ENBs playthrough for most of my initial run through all the areas including all the secret areas and shit so i'm just now really getting caught up. He's at the Princes at this point and it's kind of hilarious watching him play after getting back into a souls game not only cause our play styles are so vastly different but also because it's clear the dude has sooooooooooo little 3D spatial mapping in his head!! LOL he just memorizes EVERYTHING which is why his DS1/Bloodborne playthrough is so seamless and smooth.

Dude walks by 2 bonfires to go to the farthest one away from the elevator...
takes it down to the slab then doesn't realize it's because he needs to call it down then get on top...
gets REKT over and over again trying for backstabs on WEAK ass enemies
gets confused and turned around and destroyed by bosses and areas i casually strolled through then basically walks through other parts of the game - while talking through a LP - that i bashed my head against 5 or 6 times before getting through??

It's amazing. And his lore connections the moment he reads descriptions are so on point... i feel like i'm barely paying attention compared to him :-D

wish i could invade his ass though. Feel like i would crush him

So, where to begin? I got the game on PC a while ago, but never got around starting it, so today I finally decided to give this a try. Well, what do you know, I'm getting my ass completely kicked and got completely blocked by the first boss. Try to dodge or defend? Welp, get hit and my character goes down pretty fast. To be fair to the game, I'm having issues with my setup, since my mouse IS kind of crap, and the surface where I'm playing even crappier, so camera issues are normal. Even then, I feel that I'm not even touching the boss AT ALL. Whenever I try to reach it, I might get one hit, but I'm having issues retreating to avoid the next hit. If it helps, I'm using a... lancer, I guess? I have a lance and a shield.

Do you recommend switching from KB+M to a gamepad, or just get a better mouse? Any tips to manage to land hits more consistently? More tips in general?

I'd reccommend controller if KB+M is giving you a lot of trouble.
Knight is one the best starting class, you get a 100% block shield, and one of the best weapons in terms of DPS. You also have a nice health pool, and fairly decent stamina. Not sure if this would be a spoiler related to the boss, so I'm spoil tag it anyways,
Boss has two phases. In his first phase, use your shield and hit him when he's open. When he's in his second phase, don't bother blocking as it will drain your stamina very quickly, instead just try to stay behind him and hit him from there, most of his attacks will go over you.

I'm on PC too, so I can try to help you with other bosses, but I don't think you can summon players for that boss.

Tarkus

Stayed away from ENBs playthrough for most of my initial run through all the areas including all the secret areas and shit so i'm just now really getting caught up. He's at the Princes at this point and it's kind of hilarious watching him play after getting back into a souls game not only cause our play styles are so vastly different but also because it's clear the dude has sooooooooooo little 3D spatial mapping in his head!! LOL he just memorizes EVERYTHING which is why his DS1/Bloodborne playthrough is so seamless and smooth.

Dude walks by 2 bonfires to go to the farthest one away from the elevator...
takes it down to the slab then doesn't realize it's because he needs to call it down then get on top...
gets REKT over and over again trying for backstabs on WEAK ass enemies
gets confused and turned around and destroyed by bosses and areas i casually strolled through then basically walks through other parts of the game - while talking through a LP - that i bashed my head against 5 or 6 times before getting through??

It's amazing. And his lore connections the moment he reads descriptions are so on point... i feel like i'm barely paying attention compared to him :-D

wish i could invade his ass though. Feel like i would crush him
He said in his last video that he would be going for the platinum on PS4. Maybe he will play online and we could do so. I'd love to as well.

Saw this picture on my Facebook feed and felt it accurately depicted my rage towards grinding for Concords.

3FKL65p.jpg

zma1013

You need a controller. These sorts of games do not work well with keyboard and mouse. You need to have the full range and sensitivity of analog controls that gamepads provide. I'd recommend the 360 or Xbox One controller as those have full PC support, ingame prompts, and are the easiest to get working.

Beyond that, you just gotta understand that during the middle part of your roll you are breifly invincible, so roll through attacks. Also, if you press normal attack directly after a roll, you do a slightly faster attack. This benefits greatswords especially as they are generally slower.

There are so many general tips to give i cant even list them out right now. I can do it later if no one else does it first.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
He said in his last video that he would be going for the platinum on PS4. Maybe he will play online and we could do so. I'd love to as well.

I don't suppose we would be so lucky as to have his PSN id be: EpicNameBro ... right?

Or does he list it somewhere on his youtube channel? I shall go investigate...

Tarkus

I don't suppose we would be so lucky as to have his PSN id be: EpicNameBro ... right?

Somewhere in his old DS1 videos was his psn name. I sent a friend request a few years back. Nothing.

mulac

By the time he gets there again on 2nd playthrough everyone will be at SL+170 though!
Cue days of him farming and swearing at the screen...then 1 week later FROM drops a patch which lets you buy Concords from the Shrine shop.

#bazinga.

This could be completely anecdotal, but I think the golden falcon shield increases item discovery even if it doesn't show it. I was farming for 2 hrs and got like 2 concords. I decided to put the golden falcon shield on my back since I recalled reading that it was looked upon for good fortunate. I got two concords after killing like 6 knights... again could be just RNG, but no harm in letting others know so they test it out too, right?

2AdEPT

A lot of great armor is locked behind those terribly designed quests.

At this point, I always end up killing Sirris and Yuria just to get their armor, which is something I have never resorted to in previous games because the quests weren't this badly designed.

I will kill orbeck and get the morion blade from her each playthrough before I decide if I want a darkdrift, its too useful a deal to stack it with tearstone in the right situations. Morion>Darkdrift

I guess its impossible to get both a fully loaded sorcerer but also use the Morion blade (at least early, I know you could get all tomes then kill orbeck)? Or can you give the tomes to Karla?

This could be completely anecdotal, but I think the golden falcon shield increases item discovery even if it doesn't show it. I was farming for 2 hrs and got like 2 concords. I decided to put the golden falcon shield on my back since I recalled reading that it was looked upon for good fortunate. I got two concords after killing like 6 knights... again could be just RNG, but no harm in letting others know so they test it out too, right?
pretty sure it does help item discovery...you can tell for sure as there is a stat on your menu

laxu

Anything but the KB+M for this game. Seriously, buy a controller, preferably the Steam Controller as those two grip buttons are fantastic for this game and many others. I tried playing the game a bit with a keyboard and mouse and the default bindings are just odd.

Anyway, use the lock on for the first boss and actually nearly everything but enemy mobs and some bosses. Then you don't have to deal with the camera and can concentrate on the fight.

The trick to this game is to bait the enemy to do an attack and then dodge, block or parry it and punish. It's all about learning what the moves are and which ones you can block and which ones are better dodged. For the record as a veteran Bloodborne player my first playthrough was almost entirely without using the shield, just roll dodging everything.

So it's ok to just dodge whatever attack(s) the boss is doing and then get a hit or two in. In his second phase it gets harder to see where he is attacking but rolling will usually save you. Usually it's best to roll towards the boss and to its side. Stick close and only back away to drink Estus when you have dodged a move so the boss doesn't try to lunge at you while you are chugging.

laxu

A lot of great armor is locked behind those terribly designed quests.

At this point, I always end up killing Sirris and Yuria just to get their armor, which is something I have never resorted to in previous games because the quests weren't this badly designed.

The bigger problem is that plenty of gear is locked behind NPC invaders that can only be fought if you are embered and haven't killed the boss in the area, which is completely non-obvious. I started a new character because I missed some good stuff due to that.

I'm fine with the quests conflicting with each other and requiring the player to make choices and thus having to replay if they want all the weapons and armor but some of them are just buggy. For example I never got
Siegward to the Yhorm fight despite saving him in the dungeon simply because I had not met him in the Irithyll kitchen
. Likewise it's easy to miss Anri in some places.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Holy shit, after completely missed him on my first play through. I finally beat
Nameless King
on NG+. This badass aint no fun at all. After so many summon fails, finally got a sunbro to help me but he got killed half way and left me to gut it out on my own. Feel so good when I put the final dagger in him.
Fuck, takes me at least 20+ tries. So ashame

I will kill orbeck and get the morion blade from her each playthrough before I decide if I want a darkdrift, its too useful a deal to stack it with tearstone in the right situations. Morion>Darkdrift

I guess its impossible to get both a fully loaded sorcerer but also use the Morion blade (at least early, I know you could get all tomes then kill orbeck)? Or can you give the tomes to Karla?

pretty sure it does help item discovery...you can tell for sure as there is a stat on your menu
I know there's a stat for it, but it doesn't increase when you have the item equipped. Kind of how like DaS 1 didn't show the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring & Symbol of Avarice stacking even though they did in fact stack.

I-hate-u

By the time he gets there again on 2nd playthrough everyone will be at SL+170 though!
Cue days of him farming and swearing at the screen...then 1 week later FROM drops a patch which lets you buy Concords from the Shrine shop.

#bazinga.
I would be mad salty. GG wasted hours of my life farming them. Nah, screw that. Y'all gotta suffer excruciating drop rates like I did.

Defuser

Farming for multiple Concords can't be worse than farming for 1 Pure Bladestone now thats a true nightmare especially when you have to be black tendency and it has to be from black phantoms.

*Watches ENB doing loose ends*
- Starts killing all NPCs without finding 2 more tomes.
- Didn't buy all spells.
- Patches dropping Catarina armor still doesn't occur him why Patches drops it.

lol, I can only say From really make all these item acquiring and quests super duper vague.

Dahbomb

Farming for multiple Concords can't be worse than farming for 1 Pure Bladestone now thats a true nightmare especially when you have to be black tendency and it has to be from black phantoms.
Isn't the drop rate for that 0.5%?

I am pretty sure you have to do more runs farming 30 Proofs than getting one Pure Bladestone. Though to be fair the run for the Pure Bladestone is quite a bit longer.

Arjen

After doing a lot of invasions, I can safely say that 95 % of darkmoons are scrubs

I've seen a lot of darkmoon in my Co OP playtrough, and you're right, it's so fun because they are so damn eager, they always rush the invaders like crazy, you can just see then sitting at home: Shit yeah, finally! Let's do this, raaaaaa!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The other day I got invaded by the same red 4 times while I was trying to help Darkmoon bros get summoned. On the last one, he came into my game completely invincible. In previous times I fought him, we had long fights since we were both good at not getting hit, but this time he just runs up to me goes ham, my attacks hit him multiple times, he doesn't get stunned or lose any health, and then he just spammed r1 until I died. He must have been salty to have to turn on a hack to beat me.

I was using the Warden Twinblades stun combo off of a R1 that kills a lot of people in 1 combo. He stood there and took it without taking damage or his character moving at all, twice.

Could that have been lag? I've never seen lag like that at all except this one case though. I'm on PC.
Could have been massive lag spike, but it seems likely to be a cheat.

So I forked over almost 500K souls to heal the dark sigil, and finally I get to see what my character looks like again. So happy that she doesn't look like a mummy any more.
Why not fork 4500 instead for a purging stone? :S Even if you die all the time, it's still cheaper than 500k...

After doing a lot of invasions, I can safely say that 95 % of darkmoons are scrubs
Too true.

Pretty sure he's playing DS3 on PC.

Does the parrying dagger works the same even without 14 dex? I tried using it with only 10 and didn't notice any difference..
I haven't tried it, but I assume it's exactly the same. No more slow and stumbling animations for weapons you can't wield like in DS1. It won't do the damage because you don't have the stats, but for parrying it will work just fine.

Anyone know if there are any benefits over the target shield? I've used that almost exclusively for the parry frames.

I've seen a lot of darkmoon in my Co OP playtrough, and you're right, it's so fun because they are so damn eager, they always rush the invaders like crazy, you can just see then sitting at home: Shit yeah, finally! Let's do this, raaaaaa!

Happened to me my second auto-summon. I was 1v1ing an invader, another one came so when I got one to low health he jumped down and I jumped down to do a plunging attack against him when I had 25% health, other guy plunging attacked me and killed me :(.

I think the Falcon shield really helps. I got 4 Concords in 40 minutes while only at 207 item discovery. Before that it took 40 minutes for a single Concord.

I just invaded a guy who was using the Farron Greatsword and a Black Knight Shield. Because the weapon art of the Farron Greatsword is a parry it basically made it so he could parry using the Black Knight Shield! Completely caught me off guard.

I haven't tried it, but I assume it's exactly the same. No more slow and stumbling animations for weapons you can't wield like in DS1. It won't do the damage because you don't have the stats, but for parrying it will work just fine.

Anyone know if there are any benefits over the target shield? I've used that almost exclusively for the parry frames.

I don't think there are parry frames and difference tables, but at first sight parrying with a shield makes the block frames actually give more dmg reduction.

Isn't the drop rate for that 0.5%?

I am pretty sure you have to do more runs farming 30 Proofs than getting one Pure Bladestone. Though to be fair the run for the Pure Bladestone is quite a bit longer.

From what I notice and doing some quick math, the drop rate is like 4% when your item discovery is 400 something. I think someone else did the math as well and came to a similar value.

Duplication glitch is going to be my friend for Demons Souls this summer :p

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, diving around with the Short Bow is awesome. It takes ages to kill people at the moment, but it's a lot of fun. I particularly enjoy the fact that enemies end up as Boromir pin cushions.

LiK

*Watches ENB doing loose ends*
- Starts killing all NPCs without finding 2 more tomes.
- Didn't buy all spells.
- Patches dropping Catarina armor still doesn't occur him why Patches drops it.

lol, I can only say From really make all these item acquiring and quests super duper vague.

Yea, he's still missing a lot but he's gonna do another blind LP with a new character but focus on trying to do the NPC stuff. I think he's gonna be massively disappointed how easy it will be to miss or fail the quest lines without a guide. I am kinda glad he tried to do as much as possible before ending the game. Also glad he fast forwarded that ridiculous amount of exploration in the Cathedral. I don't believe he remembered to read the descriptions for the Drang gear tho.

Deku Tree

This horrible concord grind makes me want to stop playing omg. I played for an hour last night. I was incredibly fast and efficient at killing all three Knights. 407 item discovery. And I got zero Concords. Z E R O.

Lol at people on Reddit saying they got 28 Concords in four hours and telling other people to "Git Good" when it takes them over ten hours. No way they are killing the Knights a lot faster than I am.

This horrible concord grind makes me want to stop playing omg. I played for an hour last night. I was incredibly fast and efficient at killing all three Knights. 407 item discovery. And I got zero Concords. Z E R O.

Lol at people on Reddit saying they got 28 Concords in four hours and telling other people to "Git Good" when it takes them over ten hours. No way they are killing the Knights a lot faster than I am.
I also farmed the nights near the darkmoon tomb. It's probably a placebo effect, but I found it better to change up every now and again what enemies you are farming. Still from the same bonfire, I would go down the stairs and kill the 6-ish Silver Knights down there, then jump down and kill the robed churchy enemies at the bottom for Human Dregs. A more profitable run than just the Silver Knights on the Anor Londo stairs and it broke up the grind a bit (I got 3 concords on a single run once!)

Tarkus

ENB said at the end of the video yesterday that his next playthrough will be for the platinum and on PS4.

If you can deal with slightly longer wind up animation, then it's the best for parries given the longer window.

strafer

one thing caught my eye

When ENB read the description for Karla about mother / daughter I was thinking Yuria is the mother and Karla the daughter, but then I realised that the games are not related. They could be though.

ENB said at the end of the video yesterday that his next playthrough will be for the platinum and on PS4.
Oh I assumed he was on PC, especially since the video when he was in the Demon Ruins and he had the stuttering issues from a recent patch. I think I'm a patch or two behind so I don't know if the PS4 was effected also.

one thing caught my eye

When ENB read the description for Karla about mother / daughter I was thinking Yuria is the mother and Karla the daughter, but then I realised that the games are not related. They could be though.
She's definately a giant nod to Yuria, it's practically the same character. I don't think they would ever tie the games up in the same Universe though. Although that video you posted a page or so back where the corpse with the
Firekeeper Eyes
looked a lot like Maiden in Black made me go :-O !!

Top Bottom