• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

2AdEPT

Is there any history (that can be backed up with statistics) in the Souls series of things that don't increase your "Item Discovery" stat but somehow magically increase your discovery rates in game?

There was lots to insinuate in the old days that there is NO difference in quality of drops and that item discovery only increases the drop rate of the mob overall (in fact it was pretty much confirmed in DeS I thought. Although I would swear FROM was fucking with our minds as early as Demon's Souls (owing to getting a pure bladestone on on my first farming run both times on my first two characters that tried for it) the most likely answer is that Concord drops and the like have an extremely simple formula. Its likely just:

SIlver Knight helm - 99/100 (joke)
Titanite shard - 9/10
Large Titanite shard - 5/10 (but if you get a regular shard you wont get one of these its either or)
LEggins - 3/10
armour 2/10
gauntlets 2/10
Concord - 1/50

I killed about 50 knights and got 1 concord just like was predicted by others who estimated the drop rate based on their experience. I got the other 29 very quickly - 3 one or two hour sessions, got 6 in one invasion and 2 multiple times in the same invasion (lucky, bad players etc....at least 3 times I got one as soon as the screen came up) all through the covenant sign. I pay a little extra for a good internet connection...download 100, upload 6 (in Canada where there is less bottleneck as well). I dont have a lot of friends on steam, so maybe my account isnt weighed down with traffic, which could be one reason the family accounts work better? I dunno?

Its possible that FROM has added qualifiers like "chance of getting multiple items in a single drop" etc. and added % chance for what gets slotted into the multiple drop slots, but unlikely...why bother.

There was lots to insinuate in the old days that there is NO difference in quality of drops and that item discovery only increases the drop rate of the mob overall (in fact it was pretty much confirmed in DeS I thought. Although I would swear FROM was fucking with our minds as early as Demon's Souls (owing to getting a pure bladestone on on my first farming run both times on my first two characters that tried for it) the most likely answer is that Concord drops and the like have an extremely simple formula. Its likely just:

SIlver Knight helm - 99/100 (joke)
Titanite shard - 9/10
Large Titanite shard - 5/10 (but if you get a regular shard you wont get one of these its either or)
LEggins - 3/10
armour 2/10
gauntlets 2/10
Concord - 1/50

I killed about 50 knights and got 1 concord just like was predicted by others who estimated the drop rate based on their experience. I got the other 29 very quickly - 3 one or two hour sessions, got 6 in one invasion and 2 multiple times in the same invasion (lucky, bad players etc....at least 3 times I got one as soon as the screen came up) all through the covenant sign. I pay a little extra for a good internet connection...download 100, upload 6 (in Canada where there is less bottleneck as well). I dont have a lot of friends on steam, so maybe my account isnt weighed down with traffic, which could be one reason the family accounts work better? I dunno?

Its possible that FROM has added qualifiers like "chance of getting multiple items in a single drop" etc. and added % chance for what gets slotted into the multiple drop slots, but unlikely...why bother.

I just found that before with Falcon Shield it took forever for one to drop. With it I got multiple in a third of the time. Not even one instance, like every 10-16 minutes I would get one guaranteed. It does talk about good fortunate in battle as an item description so perhaps it's a reward for reading item descriptions :p?

I'm in Canada too, who are you with? Bell are thieves and constantly I will find my internet being throttled until I call and complain about my internet being at 12(when I pay for like 50). They come and make some bullshit excuse sometimes even contradicting themselves from their last visit...

Everything went better than expected

And OMG, Reddit just introduced me to some classic videos:

Dark Souls 2 - "Noob Pyromancer" (The best invasion ever)

Dark Souls 2: Lost Contact Lenses

Trying the Witch Locks, is it me or the L2 has some nice phantom range?

Seems good for PvP.

For PvP try the backwards rolling attack (i.e., rolling away from your opponent and then attacking). It catches people ALL the time because they underestimate the range. Seriously most opponents just run straight into it, sometimes several times in a row. Also, the weapon skill has a long reach and tracking so it's great for finishing people off.

Everything went better than expected

And OMG, Reddit just introduced me to some classic videos:

Dark Souls 2 - "Noob Pyromancer" (The best invasion ever)

Dark Souls 2: Lost Contact Lenses

For PvP try the backwards rolling attack (i.e., rolling away from your opponent and then attacking). It catches people ALL the time because they underestimate the range. Seriously most opponents just run straight into it, sometimes several times in a row. Also, the weapon skill has a long reach and tracking so it's great for finishing people off.

Lost Contact Lenses would be perfect in DaS 3 because of the "HERE!" gesture.

HeeHo

Been trying to do PVP everyday so I don't lose my touch. It's kinda weird for me. I just discovered my Katana parry (washing pole) and am fairly successful using it on enemies, but against real people, yikes. People in general are just better at parrying than I am. Does anyone have any suggestions for when is likely a good time to parry(like after I roll towards someone, etc)? I'm not necessarily looking for the timing on a specific parry(like shield, dagger and katana having different timing), more-like a likely situation to pull one off. I am a pretty decent opponent and I don't just swing haphazardly but I am getting caught in my opponent's parries fairly often to the point where I think I could be doing the same to them.

Deku Tree

What would a Dark Souls MMO-lite Game be like? One that combined the Souls experience with Diablo/Destiny/Division style daily/weekly co-op and Raid style grinding? Like one persistent online game that had regular DLC instead of new games... Would it be good.

Tarkus

Been trying to do PVP everyday so I don't lose my touch. It's kinda weird for me. I just discovered my Katana parry (washing pole) and am fairly successful using it on enemies, but against real people, yikes. People in general are just better at parrying than I am. Does anyone have any suggestions for when is likely a good time to parry(like after I roll towards someone, etc)? I'm not necessarily looking for the timing on a specific parry(like shield, dagger and katana having different timing), more-like a likely situation to pull one off. I am a pretty decent opponent and I don't just swing haphazardly but I am getting caught in my opponent's parries fairly often to the point where I think I could be doing the same to them.
Katana parries suck in PvP. Parry when some rolls into you or near because they're probably going to roll attack and all weapons (except for whips) can parried when roll attacking. Don't fish for it too much though. When you see a Dork Sword, plan on parrying the 3rd hit in their R1 spam.

What would a Dark Souls MMO-lite Game be like? One that combined the Souls experience with Diablo/Destiny/Division style daily/weekly co-op and Raid style grinding? Like one persistent online game that had regular DLC instead of new games... Would it be good.

Think of early day Runescape where people would teleport demons into starting places and have the newbs constantly die over and over again. Just with Dark souls, so like S
oul of Cinder
or some shit.

Give me something to test it on please

Well I think either Shackles or Proofs are the hardest covenant items to grind for. I never tried for Shackles but Proofs without the Shield would take me 45+minutes before getting a single one. With the shield that went down to about 10-15 minutes. You can try bloodgrass too because that would take me like 10minutes without the shield(never tried with the shield because I got them way before I thought of using the shield).

Sound like the Division Dark Zone.

Never played it :p. But a Dark Souls MMO would be interesting, what happens when you die though D:?

HeeHo

Katana parries suck in PvP. Parry when some rolls into you or near because they're probably going to roll attack and all weapons (except for whips) can parried when roll attacking. Don't fish for it too much though. When you see a Dork Sword, plan on parrying the 3rd hit in their R1 spam.

Thanks for the advice. I also use Grass Crest Shield for the passive ability, but that can also parry. I'll have to try that.

Does anyone know if upgrading shields that have a passive ability, like Grass Crest Shield, (and the ugly Greatshield that slowly regenerates HP) does the passive ability get upgraded too? I know that Demon's Souls used to work that way.

Thanks for the advice. I also use Grass Crest Shield for the passive ability, but that can also parry. I'll have to try that.

Does anyone know if upgrading shields that have a passive ability, like Grass Crest Shield, (and the ugly Greatshield that slowly regenerates HP) does the passive ability get upgraded too? I know that Demon's Souls used to work that way.

According to the wiki, Blessed and Simple infusions increase the frequency which the regeneration tick triggers as they are upgraded, and I know for sure that Hollowed infusion increases its Luck bonus based on upgrade, so other than Fextalife being very unreliable and should be taken with a grain of salt, it probably does help.

Following up on this post I made last night:

Still enjoying my pyromancer but it's time to experiment with a different build:

Immolation Tinder Sorc

The Darkmoon Ring + Soul Stream can be switched out for Leo Ring, as it boosts the Immolation Tinder's thrust damage.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the build before I spend my rebirth. I've seen some videos of people doing very well with this weapon on their sorcerers:

Immolation Tinder - PvE Gauntlet (NG+)

Immolation Tinder - PvP Showcase @ Pontiff Bonfire

Dark soul 3 Immolation tinder true battle mage!

I rebirthed this morning and I'm loving it so far. I got invaded 3 times and won 2, only narrowly losing the 3rd because of a stupid mistake. I then fought D
ancer
and absolutely destroyed her with Crystal Soul Spears and Homing Crystal Soulmass. Feels like EZ-mode compared to pyromancy because of the tracking on sorcery spells, especially when aiming at a huge target like D
ancer
. I progressed to the castle and just blew through those red-eyed Lothric knights that used to give me so many problems on my melee build. I'm excited to play this sorcerer some more.

NG+ is a big let down, the bosses are super easy. I just fought P
ontiff. I was able to parry him twice and even if I failed I only lost like 10% health. So I parried him twice, brought him down to around 30% health, two handed my weapon slammed him 5 times, he staggered, then I hit him again he died...

neoism

Nah that's good. Without the shield I'd go 45min before getting a Concord. With the shield I got it after about 15min at the most. Considering I could kill 4 knights/minute that's 60 knights. So you're about where I was.

nah Ive timed it its like 40 seconds at best to kill 2 at least not sure how you could do 4. that included the run time back and up the steps.. I usually kill the 2 silvers right at the middle of the steps..

NG+ is a big let down, the bosses are super easy. I just fought P
ontiff. I was able to parry him twice and even if I failed I only lost like 10% health. So I parried him twice, brought him down to around 30% health, two handed my weapon slammed him 5 times, he staggered, then I hit him again he died...

It depends on your level. If you want a challenge bring 2 useless phantoms.

neoism

About to try Falcon Shield method for human dregs. Is there drop rate abysmal?

lol nevermind Dergs
really the aldrich covenant is one of the best for me for getting summoned... at the pontiff bonefire.. but I left the boss unkilled so not sure if that helps... I got 30 in like a 5 hours. if only the other ones would summon like that... the watchdog one is just broken as shit for me... only gotten 1 summon ever... :/

nah Ive timed it its like 40 seconds at best to kill 2 at least not sure how you could do 4. that included the run time back and up the steps.. I usually kill the 2 silvers right at the middle of the steps..

I kill em in three consecutive hits. Takes like 10 seconds(I was SL 125, with 40str 40 dex in NG so they die easily :p)

MrS

Banned
70 fucking knights until one drop i think i need 2 more...

Av5chC.gif
Mate I spent a full 24 hours at
Anor Londo
farming proofs. Holla when you're at my level of desperation and thirstyness

Wait a second.....do I have to give all my Covenant items at once in order to level. Or can I spread them out and just offer them in chunks when I collect a couple.

Up to Adrich in NG+ and I did not die to a boss yet in NG+. Feels nice although Pontiff was super close as we had both 0 health and I just mad dashed towards him for that final blow.

Died dozens of times to gangbanging enemies, though, because I kinda play reckless in NG+.

Now do I farm Concords/ Grass/ Medals now or after beating Lord of Cinder, hmm?

Deku Tree

My first game like this was Bloodbourne. Then I played DS3. I noticed
a lot fewer beast enemies in DS3. BB was mostly beast enemies.
Is that true in general of the Souls series?

Soulhouf

I think I may stumbled upon an unfortunate finding for quality builds. I farmed my typical Refined Gem location outside of the dancer's room for an hour and a half with 310 ID. Not a single gem from Red Eyes. It usually takes anywhere from 3-10 minutes to get a gem to drop. I went to Grand Archives to farm the nights near the boss room for 30 minutes. Nothing. I thought, what if you're capped at 10 gems per playthrough? So I count my Refined weapons and come up with 9. I look in my inventory and see that I have 1 gem remaining, so 10 total. Sucks ass. Be careful with weapon infusions in you're not planning on going to NG+. Make them count. This mainly goes for PvP people who don't wish to play the story anymore. I better other gems have similar limits as well.

???
I have a character with 27 quality gems from Lothric Knights farming. I didn't want the gems, only souls and chunks but I ended up having a lot of quality and lightning gems as a result.

My first game like this was Bloodbourne. Then I played DS3. I noticed
a lot fewer beast enemies in DS3. BB was mostly beast enemies.
Is that true in general of the Souls series?
Yes, one of the themes of bloodborne was beasthood/ beast blood so it makes sense. Dark souls has far more humanoid enemies.

Tarkus

???
I have a character with 27 quality gems from Lothric Knights farming. I didn't want the gems, only souls and chunks but I ended up having a lot of quality and lightning gems as a result.
Yes I got 3 more after posting that. Forgot to edit.

Yes, one of the themes of bloodborne was beasthood/ beast blood so it makes sense. Dark souls has far more humanoid enemies.

I'm hoping that if From ever does Demon Souls 2, they go full on demonic invasion. I know that's what was supposed to be happening in Demon's but it never really felt like it.That way they can differentiate it from Dark and have it feel more unique like Bloodborne.

They can probably come up with a few nice enemy ideas.

Dahbomb

how should I got about doing a bleed build for pve? Especially in the early half.
Pick a katana weapon and apply Carthus Rouge buff on it. Shrine Maiden sells it for fairly cheap price.

Later on your want a faster dual wield weapon and transition to Hollow/Luck to better apply bleeds.

I personally use Onikiri/Udachi (?) which is basically dual wield katanas and I have 40/40 Dex/Luck Hollow gem along with 99 Hollow (by doing the side quest and dying a lot to get Hollow level that high). Then I apply Carthus Rouge on it and I get the bleed proc within 3-4 hits for some nice damage.

I wonder...say you have 5 souls of a champion you back-up your game and you trade em to your friend. you then load up your backed-up game, get your friend to trade em back and now you have 10. Back-up again and repeat, now you have 20. What would happen if you kept doing that till you had the max you can hold on your person at once, then kept trading it to a friend reloading a back-up and doing again, and again so he levels up like crazy. Would you get like insta-permabanned?

Anybody on PC able to drop a few weapons in thirty minutes give or take?

If you still need help I'm available.

ok your NG Im Ng+ lol Im 45/45 and even with the Dank Sword it takes me like 4-5 probably should have done more in NG

Yeah it's a lot easier in NG than in NG+ so I did all my farming in NG.

Up to Adrich in NG+ and I did not die to a boss yet in NG+. Feels nice although Pontiff was super close as we had both 0 health and I just mad dashed towards him for that final blow.

Died dozens of times to gangbanging enemies, though, because I kinda play reckless in NG+.

Now do I farm Concords/ Grass/ Medals now or after beating Lord of Cinder, hmm?

Same, the bosses have so little boost in NG+. I only died to The D
ancer and that's because my camera decided to focus on the backside of a bench and I couldn't see the attack that was coming...she was at 25% health and I still had 2 estus(started with 8).

Szadek

Finally beat
Nameless King
and with that the last boss in the game.
Definetly the hardest and best boss fight in the game.
My only really complain is the camera in phase 1, but it wasn't a hard fight for me
I played a int/dex hybrid deck, with a much bigger focus on int, although I didn't use any spells in the 2nd phase

Looks like I'm done with this character for now until the DLC hits.
I already started with a new character and I'm testing how good luck builds are.

My order for series after beating this game is:
BB > DS3 > DeS > DS >>> DS2

Alo0oy

Banned
The blood effects on your character look HORRENDOUS, I don't understand why they were downgraded so much from Bloodborne, it looks like tar spilled on your character instead of blood, I'd rather they remove it than keep it the way it is.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Which covenant item should I equip for Proof of Concord Kept farming, the Blue Sentinels or the Blades of the Darkmoon?

Which covenant item should I equip for Proof of Concord Kept farming, the Blue Sentinels or the Blades of the Darkmoon?
Doesn't matter since it won't work ;)
From personal experience, I have no idea since the summon rate for both is the same for me..

Invaded when running back for your 90k corpse *butt clenches*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUi3Azr7Cc

Thankfully a shitty PVP player my PVP shittiness and a bleed build could dispatch of. New female character I'm rolling with. Going to go hollow infusion once I pick up the coal.

Last night I lost 1.6 million souls because I wasn't paying attention. I rarely invade with the red eye orb so I forgot you drop your souls upon dying (this doesn't happen when invading as Aldrich Faithful). I invaded twice in a row and died both times. Poof went my fortune.

Top Bottom