• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Ferr986

I beat it.

holy shit I beat it.

I barely beat games anymore but this got me.

I tend to avoid hard games because of my anger issues...but outside of a few bad times (self inflicted) not so much here.

what a ride.

again I haven;t beaten (or played) many games this year but this is easy GOTY.

Congrats! You officialy got gud!

Jokes aside, glad you liked it.

Alo0oy

Banned
I quite like the Dark Hand as a back-up on a 'shieldless' build for those clutch moments. It doesn't weigh anything and mitigates an okay amount of elemental damage across the board.

I haven't dug too deeply into the Darkdrift. It's the only katana that I haven't topped out (waiting to get everything I can on NG before trading the coil for a slab and moving on). I can't talk about the damage since it changed after the last patch. Prior to that it was pretty average amongst the katana family. You can't infuse it and I think the scaling isn't great either (D/C at +5). From what I've seen, the standard moveset is pretty much the same as the Uchi, as is the speed and stamina consumption.

It's main quirk is the blade is semi-invisible, which I'm not sure is very useful outside of PvP, if it is at all. The WA is a shield piercing move with - as I recall - a fairly hefty wind-up but pretty good tracking. Again, not sure about the damage it does.

Overall, it doesn't stand out to me amongst the katanas bar it's WA and invisible blade, but
Yuria
looks badass with it. :D

I'm finding the Black Blade to be the hidden gem amongst katanas at the moment, despite its short blade. I switch between that and U&O for PvP.

Does the black blade have any advantages for having that putrid range? Other Katanas hit harder and have better range. Darkdrift at least has medium range and looks cool.

I don't want to use Uchi or WP because everyone is using them, Chaos Blade sucks in this game, and Bloodlust is a cheap Chikage knockoff.

Darkdrift seems to be the only choice for me atm.

Anyone knows which straight sword has the highest reach/range?

Edit:
OMG STOP KICKING

Can't believe how often I die because of this shit. It was never an issue in the other games, what gives?

They might all have the same range but don't quote me on that. I do know that in PvP the physical length of weapons is deceptive.

Weird straight sword fact of the day: The Lothric Knight Sword and the Shortsword both have 110 critical bonus, meaning they do extra damage on crits like a dagger would.

As for kicking, I can never get the kick to come out when I want it to in this game. In Dark Souls 1 & 2 I rarely had trouble with it so I don't know what's going on.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Does the black blade have any advantages for having that putrid range? Other Katanas hit harder and have better range. Darkdrift at least has medium range and looks cool.

I don't want to use Uchi or WP because everyone is using them, Chaos Blade sucks in this game, and Bloodlust is a cheap Chikage knockoff.

From what I can tell (and I'll confirm this when I get on later), BB is one of the higher damaging katanas with a 'standard' moveset now. Top three at least, I think? I was expecting it to be, but I can't say BB's range has been too much of a factor in PvP, surprisingly. I murdered the Twin Princes with it too. The 2H R2 is telegraphed from Mars but the tracking catches people nicely. Of course, it infuses and buffs too (though standard seems to out damage any of the former from what I can see).

WP's base damage has been reduced post-patch to around 411-418 uninfused (at 40/40, I think), so it isn't quite the beast it once was. Other katanas are much more viable now. It used to do 20-30+ more AR at 40/40 than any other. Coupled with infusion and buff... yeah.

I believe CB does pretty good (if not one of the best) damage, especially for pure DEX, but has the usual HP drain effect which you have to use a couple of ring slots to offset, and only then by a little bit. Can't buff or infuse it either.

You know all about the Uchi. It is the lower end of the damage charts and has the standard moveset/range.

Now Bloodlust... I wouldn't say it's a Chikage knock-off (I wish it was!); the moveset is pretty standard for DS3. Again, not dipped in too much because the 30% damage bonus from WA and short range don't seem worth it to me. You get the buff for 15 seconds or so (I think), a flat 200 damage to yourself (I think, could be a percentage hit) and your bleed metre cranked right up. Seems like a terrible trade off on paper. Maybe a very aggressive playstyle with hyper mode (ToD, Morion and RTSR) on would work nicely with it but I've not tried that. Yet. :) Good scaling but shit base damage with no infusion or buffs.

The only other katana is U&O. High damaging for quality builds, evil dual moveset, great chase down/roll punishing WA. This one is a beast, though it lacks the awesome standard katana WA, eats stamina, and is obviously only available very late game.

As far as I can tell, Darkdrift sits somewhere in between all these in terms of damage, range and moveset (depending on what the patch changed, of course). It can't be infused or buffed, unfortunately. I can't see it being anything other than a reliable workhorse (in both good and bad terms) but it's definitely stylish! I'll give it a proper go today and see what I can get out of it.

Like I said, I'll happily pop down some accurate damage and scaling stats when I'm on this afternoon, if you want.

Alo0oy

Banned
From what I can tell (and I'll confirm this when I get on later), BB is one of the higher damaging katanas with a 'standard' moveset now. Top three at least, I think? I was expecting it to be, but I can't say BB's range has been too much of a factor in PvP, surprisingly. I murdered the Twin Princes with it too. The 2H R2 is telegraphed from Mars but the tracking catches people nicely. Of course, it infuses and buffs too (though standard seems to out damage any of the former from what I can see).

WP's base damage has been reduced post-patch to around 411-418 uninfused (at 40/40, I think), so it isn't quite the beast it once was. Other katanas are much more viable now.

I believe CB does pretty good (if not the best) damage, especially for pure DEX, but has the usual HP drain effect which you have to use a couple of ring slots to offset, and only then by a little bit. Can't buff or infuse it either.

You know all about the Uchi. It is the lower end of the damage charts and has the standard moveset/range.

Now Bloodlust... I wouldn't say it's a Chikage knock-off (I wish it was!); the moveset is pretty standard for DS3. Again, not dipped in too much because the 30% damage bonus from WA and short range don't seem worth it to me. You get the buff for 15 seconds or so (I think), a flat 200 damage to yourself (I think) and your bleed metre cranked right up. Seems like a terrible trade off on paper. Maybe a very aggressive playstyle with hyper mode (ToD, Morion and RTSR) on would work nicely with it but I've not tried that. Yet. :)

The only other katana is U&O. High damaging for quality builds, evil dual moveset, great chase down/roll punishing WA. This one is a beast, though it lacks the awesome standard katana WA and is obviously only available very late game.

As far as I can tell, Darkdrift sits somewhere in between all these in terms of damage, range and moveset (depending on what the patch changed, of course). It can't be infused or buffed, unfortunately. I can't see it being anything other than a reliable workhorse (in both good and bad terms) but it's definitely stylish! I'll give it a proper go today and see what I can get out of it.

Like I said, I'll happily pop down some accurate damage and scaling stats when I'm on this afternoon, if you want.

Thanks.

I guess I need to load one of my high level characters and try them out before making any new build. Chaos Blade is trash because other Katanas out-damage it with simple resin. And what I meant with Bloodlust is that it was a poor attempt to replicate the Chikage, I'd be all over it if it actually functioned like the Chikage.

It seems that I'm down to Darkdrift, Black Blade, and O&U.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks.

I guess I need to load one of my high level characters and try them out before making any new build. Chaos Blade is trash because other Katanas out-damage it with simple resin. And what I meant with Bloodlust is that it was a poor attempt to replicate the Chikage, I'd be all over it if it actually functioned like the Chikage.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, CB loses out massively without buffing but that affects Darkdrift and Bloodlust too.

It seems that I'm down to Darkdrift, Black Blade, and O&U.

Why not all 3? :)

Audioboxer

I almost feel like an asshole doing PVP as a bleed/hollow/luck build.

Considering I suck at PVP and rarely do it I'd be terrified of how great players use this build.

By the way anyone know if the storyteller in the
unintended graves
has a higher droprate of the hollow gem than the easier one at the
halfway fortress?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The wiki says Darkdrift can be buffed, are you sure you can't buff it?

Nope. Like I said, I've not dug too deep, it's a likely erroneous assumption on my part off the fact it uses twinkling. If it can be buffed, that changes its standing considerably, especially if the patch buffed its base damage! I'll test it and let you know or vice versa :)

With 12 vit, I'll only be able to carry 2, but that's a good idea, I'll try all 3 and use the best 2.

I know O&U has the same weight as a WP. Something like 7-8 units? The other two are between 3.5 to 6.5 or thereabouts. If you don't use O&U's duel L2, it's out damaged by BB: 408 (ish) for the former, 420+ for the latter at 40/40, no infusion.

I'll be on in half hour, so I'll confirm all this.

Ashler

Man, I'm so freaking bummed out by the Darkmoon convenant. I'm only missing rank 3 on the covenant to get my platinum but have only managed to get summoned twice in about 16 hours. FROM software need to give us a blue orb STAT. :(

Alo0oy

Banned
Nope. Like I said, I've not dug too deep, it's a likely erroneous assumption on my part off the fact it uses twinkling. If it can be buffed, that changes its standing considerably, especially if the patch buffed its base damage! I'll test it and let you know or vice versa :)

I know O&U has the same weight as a WP. Something like 7-8 units? The other two are between 3.5 to 6.5 or thereabouts. If you don't use O&U's duel L2, it's out damaged by BB: 408 (ish) for the former, 420+ for the latter at 40/40, no infusion.

I'll be on in half hour, so I'll confirm all this.

Thanks.

Edit:
OMG STOP KICKING

Can't believe how often I die because of this shit. It was never an issue in the other games, what gives?

Dark sword always seem to me that has way more range that you would think.

But I despise straight swords, I barely use them.

Archdragon Peak is so damn good. I like it better than the Painting World from DaS1. I love how you can see Anor Londo and Lothric waaaaay in the distance.

Going to face Nameless King for the first time today (NG+). I am ready as fuck with Dragonslayer Armor Shield :) Bring it on, bitch. I will turtle you like I turtled Kalameet and Manus in DaS1.

Kweh

Just the convenant items left for me to get before proceeding to NG+ but I don't fancy farming them all.

Do FROM acknowledge that the auto-summoning covenants don't work? If so I'll wait until they hopefully fix it, otherwise I'll have to get my farming on.

Just the convenant items left for me to get before proceeding to NG+ but I don't fancy farming them all.

Do FROM acknowledge that the auto-summoning covenants don't work? If so I'll wait until they hopefully fix it, otherwise I'll have to get my farming on.

I tried to farm Concords and Grass in NG+ - spent about 5 mins doing it with 310 Item Discovery and no dice. Not a single Concord/ Grass. Had way more luck with Sun Medals - got 8 in about 2 hours but I was farming Titanite Chunks then, heh...

Shit.

This will take hours :( And I do not have a foolproof way of killing the first Spear Silver Knight - sometimes I have to fight with him and drink Estus, yuck.

Maybe I will respec to 60 INT/ 60 LUCK and just Soul Stream him to death using all the +INT rings and gear? I just would like to kill him from a distance and never engage in melee.

Sarcasm

I tried to farm Concords and Grass in NG+ - spent about 5 mins doing it with 310 Item Discovery and no dice. Not a single Concord/ Grass. Had way more luck with Sun Medals - got 8 in about 2 hours but I was farming Titanite Chunks then, heh...

Shit.

This will take hours :( And I do not have a foolproof way of killing the first Spear Silver Knight - sometimes I have to fight with him and drink Estus, yuck.

Maybe I will respec to 60 INT/ 60 LUCK and just Soul Stream him to death using all the +INT rings and gear? I just would like to kill him from a distance and never engage in melee.

I just rolled towards him as he did his attack, then berserk mode, ho!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Here's the damage stats (40/40) and weight:

Black Blade +10: 423 - 6.5
Chaos Blade +5: 420 - 6.0
Washing Pole + 10: 419 - 8.5
Onikiri & Ubadachi +10: 406 - 8.5
Uchigatana +10: 399 - 5.5
Darkdrift +5: 383 (buffable!) - 3.5
Bloodlust +5: 348 (452 with Blood Buff) - 5.0

I could be wrong, but none of them (where they can) seem to be better with a melee infusion for a quality build (sharp, heavy or refined).

Alo0oy

Banned
Here's the damage stats (40/40) and weight:

Black Blade +10: 423 - 6.5
Chaos Blade +5: 420 - 6.0
Washing Pole + 10: 419 - 8.5
Onikiri & Ubadachi +10: 406 - 8.5
Uchigatana +10: 399 - 5.5
Darkdrift +5: 383 (buffable!) - 3.5
Bloodlust +5: 348 (452 with Blood Buff) - 5.0

I could be wrong, but none of them (where they can) seem to be better with an infusion for a quality build.

Thanks, I think CB and Darkdrift are supposed to be dex weapons though.

I might use BB, O&U, and Darkdrift, equip 2 at a time and cycle between them. You sold me on the BB :p

Dumb question but can I parry him with Crystal Sage Rapier? Because I do not use a shield but Rapier for the +50 Item Discovery.
Not sure if the rapier parries, but I just used a target shield for the parry and then whilst it was on the ground switch to the rapier for the item discovery. They should only need one hit to finish them off. There's plenty of time to switch weapons.

I almost feel like an asshole doing PVP as a bleed/hollow/luck build.

Considering I suck at PVP and rarely do it I'd be terrified of how great players use this build.

By the way anyone know if the storyteller in the
unintended graves
has a higher droprate of the hollow gem than the easier one at the
halfway fortress?

What weapon are you using for that build? Been wanting to do a bleed build

Murrah

Banned
Hey Souls gaf! I've been working on cleaning up trophies in DS3 all weekend. Getting all rings is the only one I'm missing now, and after all the farming I did for spells I'd prefer if I could spend my extra day off doing not that. Would anyone mind coming to my game and letting me pick up a few rings? I would of course give them back once the trophies popped. The rings I'm missing are:

Priestess Ring
Wolf Ring
Obscuring Ring
Silvercat Ring
Life Ring +3

If anyone wouldn't mind assisting I would greatly appreciate it. My PSN is Murrstalk and I should be free most of the day today. Thanks y'all!

Gbraga

Invading is so much fun, I'm getting addicted to fighting people playing in co-op. I get destroyed most of the time, but it's still a lot of fun.

Now that I upgraded my Vigor, it'll be even better.

Irithyll Dungeon
is so good for invasions, I gotta test the Obscuring Ring.

Invading is so much fun, I'm getting addicted to fighting people playing in co-op. I get destroyed most of the time, but it's still a lot of fun.

Irithyll Dungeon

It's strangely addicting, I find it hard to stop some nights. Even if things go horribly wrong and I barely make a dent in one of the two, three or four opponents I still find myself wanting more.

AlanOC91

Completely forgot about my old DS2 attempt at a "funny" PVP video. Uploaded it as private and forgot about it for well over a year. Running back through all my videos and noticed it was there marked as private.

Trying to make some funny bell tower PVP moments. God I loved PVP'ing at the bell tower. Even with my really odd build. Dark Souls 2 gets a lot of flak but it certainly had it's good moments. Especially with the PVP scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbZWy0-YmM

EDIT: Yikes more than that. Jul 2014 was when it was uploaded.

Alo0oy

Banned

Irithyll Dungeon

Obscurin Ring + Slumbering Dragoncrest + Silvercat is a top tier invasions setup

Ferr986

Irithyll Dungeon

That's my fav spot for invading too. The first part especially, with the narrow hallways, great area for Chaos fireballing everywhere.

SDR-UK

Hey Souls gaf! I've been working on cleaning up trophies in DS3 all weekend. Getting all rings is the only one I'm missing now, and after all the farming I did for spells I'd prefer if I could spend my extra day off doing not that. Would anyone mind coming to my game and letting me pick up a few rings? I would of course give them back once the trophies popped. The rings I'm missing are:

Priestess Ring
Wolf Ring
Obscuring Ring
Silvercat Ring
Life Ring +3

If anyone wouldn't mind assisting I would greatly appreciate it. My PSN is Murrstalk and I should be free most of the day today. Thanks y'all!

Ready to go now?

Gbraga

It's strangely addicting, I find it hard to stop some nights. Even if things go horribly wrong and I barely make a dent in one of the two, three or four opponents I still find myself wanting more.

Obscurin Ring + Slumbering Dragoncrest + Silvercat is a top tier invasions setup

That's my fav spot for invading too. The first part especially, with the narrow hallways, great area for Chaos fireballing everywhere.

And to think that at first I was pissed at people ganking when I was trying to duel, and now there's a perfect dueling spot and all I want is to fight groups. So much more exciting.

I'll try to do some invading in
Archdragon Peak
tonight, after I finish
Untended Graves
. Must be a great spot to get people co-oping through the area. Really hard enemies and a really hard boss = co-op everywhere.

Mistel

Banned
The physically longest straight sword is the Gotthard Twin Sword so that has the largest reach followed by the Lothric's Holy Sword. The Gotthard Twin Sword is deceptively big its similar to SourShoes favourite the Fume Sword where it's close to greatsword length.

poodpick

Edit:
OMG STOP KICKING

I think Lothric's holy sword has the longest range, but the AR is shit. I only use the weapon art to catch people that heal.

Alo0oy

Banned
I invaded someone and s/he's been hiding in Emma's room for 15 minutes, I hate how the game gives hosts rooms that invaders cannot access.

I don't know if I should leave or not, at least I killed the Summon!

Tarkus

The physically longest straight sword is the Gotthard Twin Sword so that has the largest reach followed by the Lothric's Holy Sword. The Gotthard Twin Sword is deceptively big its similar to SourShoes favourite the Fume Sword where it's close to greatsword length.
:p
Gotthard is beastly for invasions. That rolling L1 comes so fast and has a whacky hit box, able to hit people with a thrusting attack who are to the side 90 degrees.

Alo0oy

Banned
And I died after he kept coming out to summon his friend over and over, I ran out of Estus by the time I killed him for the third time. Those inaccessible fog doors are a terrible design decision.

poodpick

:p
Gotthard is beastly for invasions. That rolling L1 comes so fast and has a whacky hit box, able to hit people with a thrusting attack who are to the side 90 degrees.

The problem with the rolling L1 is that its so predictable. Every single Gotthard user I've played opens with the rolling L1 and gets parried instantly.

JDB

Banned
Good luck for the
Dancer
, he's the one I found the hardest so far at SL1 (I'm up to the
dragonslayer armour
which hits really hard but is easy to avoid).
The Dancer was definitely tough, but at least it's fun to learn that fight. Aldrich was just frustrating to me.

explodet

Dang, it's actually pretty difficult to summon Blue Sentinels/Blades of the Darkmoon even if you're trying.

I managed to get one summoned in Anor Londo while farming ears, and we trapped the invader in the narrow stairs and whaled on him. My good deed for the day.

After that, another Darkmoon got summoned THREE TIMES IN A ROW but I got splattered before they could blink.

Maybe the conditions are too restrictive or something.

I wish we'd get an ultimate ds game announced this e3, not dumbed down and piss easy if you have completed previous entries solo. It's so fucking predictable if you can manage to handle a dodge button.
And yet it's the best game released this year so far. :p

edit: I'm just a decent player who can dodge and attack r1/charge r2, it's more that I would love to be surprised and trolled far beyond some gimmicky bossfights.

Top Bottom