• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Tarkus

Is the Dark Sword really that good? I've heard it's pretty powerful, and I'm thinking of getting it.

Rocking a quality build- should I do it?
The Dork Sword is a highly exploitable meta weapon. You can literally R1 spam most opponents to death. That being said, I've made it a mission to honorably duel people with it. It recovers so fast that you can parry bait with ease. I have a very effective, non-spammy way to use this weapon, but I won't reveal it. You can parry bait very easily with the Dork Sword because everyone expects you to R1 spam.

Jingo

Can someone give me
A tip for this boss:
prince lothric, i get to the second fase but i can take almost any life on the wizard, not even when he is ressurection is brother

Ive always hates bosses with second or third bars of health, not even bloodborne with ludwig pissed me so off, the bars just seem unfair:(

Alo0oy

Banned
I've invaded the same ganksquad 4 times in a row and got killed every time.

I gotta find a way to kick their ass.

EDIT: I almost had them this last time.

squidyj

Is the Dark Sword really that good? I've heard it's pretty powerful, and I'm thinking of getting it.

it's just a straight sword with a good range and a bunch of AR on it. it's pretty good and it has a unique r2 that's an uppercut type sweep.

Cool, thanks. Is the estoc hard to find?

Bestoc is available from Greirat after you send him on his first pillaging.

poodpick

I've invaded the same ganksquad 4 times in a row and got killed every time.

I gotta find a way to kick their ass.

EDIT: I almost had them this last time.

Were they in the
Crystal Sage
area? God damn gank squad had an obscured mage that would one shot me every time I got staggered.

onionfrog

A
ldrich
down at SL1!
Fuck those arrows. The main determining factor in actually beating him was that the RNG only did the arrow move once!

Thank god, it only took 30+ tries.
Only 3 mandatory bosses to go!

Alo0oy

Banned
My go-to weapon when I can't beat people in the game is the Thrall Ave. It's Bloodborne 2.0. It's quickstep skill is ridiculous and it swings fast and hard.

It has low recs

Not sure if it works on ganks, but I might try it out, I think I overlooked it because small axes are usually weak.

Were they in the
Crystal Sage
area? God damn gank squad had an obscured mage that would one shot me every time I got staggered.

They were in Archdragon Peak.

Alo0oy

Banned
Do you do backups of your DaS 3 file?

If you're on PC I think the family share trick can help recover deleted profiles. I think.

I'm on PS4. I have auto back up enabled so that it uploads my save to PS+.

EDIT: Aaand in my fit of rage after I deleted that character I put my PS4 in rest mode, unfortunately it uploaded that save to PS+ immediately.

Tarkus

Not sure if it works on ganks, but I might try it out, I think I overlooked it because small axes are usually weak.

They were in Archdragon Peak.
I hope the Thrall Axe doesn't catch on, because it could definitely become the OP weapon.

squidyj

Trying to figure out what I should use for another weapon in my hollow build, carthus greatsword? I want something with range

Washing Pole?
Curved Carthus Greatsword?
Some sort of scythe?

poodpick

Trying to figure out what I should use for another weapon in my hollow build, carthus greatsword? I want something with range

Washing Pole?
Curved Carthus Greatsword?
Some sort of scythe?

I'm not sure if the scaling is good but I like using the glaive on my faith build. Has nice reach and a good weapon art for parry fishers.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Refined Dark Sword is, I believe, the most highly damaging straight sword out there, especially considering how fast it swings, somewhat phantom range, and sheer dps potential. If you have 40/40 STR/DEX, the refined version out-damages every other version of Dark Sword.

At least in terms of PVE it's one of the easiest weapons that you can choose. Especially since you can pair a great shield with it with a reasonable VIT considering how low its weight is, and how you can buff it.

In PVP though, you need to be more careful with it. A decent player can easily parry or, should they wield stuff like UGS or Great Hammer or Great Axes, can easily out-damages you in trading. Avoid trading for extended periods of time against big weapons.

The Dork Sword is a highly exploitable meta weapon. You can literally R1 spam most opponents to death. That being said, I've made it a mission to honorably duel people with it. It recovers so fast that you can parry bait with ease. I have a very effective, non-spammy way to use this weapon, but I won't reveal it. You can parry bait very easily with the Dork Sword because everyone expects you to R1 spam.

This is so dramatic, it makes me laugh, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0i8f4AD2cY

It is known.

dralla

How many Titanite Slabs are there per game? I picked up one in the Archdragon world. I've got Three weapons I could use it on, hmmmm. Decisions decisions

2AdEPT

my +5 hollow manikin claws give me +4 luck.
Ouch that hurts...I wanted to use them for my PVP video but for whatever reason I didtn get the invasion this playthrough and couldnt get the claws. I used the regular claws but it would ahve been great to get the bonus...oh well....

I finally got a PVP video together but as most of you know, I am an average PVP skill at best, Hyper mode requires very good skills to be viable in PVP, but I did discover that the dragon torso buff is great for repelling the many dagggers of fortune that will be hurled your way!

squidyj

Ouch that hurts...I wanted to use them for my PVP video but for whatever reason I didtn get the invasion this playthrough and couldnt get the claws. I used the regular claws but it would ahve been great to get the bonus...oh well....

I finally got a PVP video together but as most of you know, I am an average PVP skill at best, Hyper mode requires very good skills to be viable in PVP, but I did discover that the dragon torso buff is great for repelling the many dagggers of fortune that will be hurled your way!

why does it hurt? they go to 10.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Holy shit, that's a lot more than I expected. Bloodborne only had one

Six, actually :)

1 in the main game, 1 in the DLC, 4 in the chalice dungeon.

Well I suppose for the next playthroughs you can only get 2 per playthrough. Although *technically* you can get unlimited Rocks in Chalice, just have to be patient about it.

Anyways, to be honest it's great to have 8 Titanite Slabs per playthrough--with maybe more in the upcoming DLCs--as well as having the opportunity to 5 respecs per playthroughs, make it easy to experiment.

laxu

Holy shit, that's a lot more than I expected. Bloodborne only had one

Bloodborne has 6 too. 1 from the main game, 1 from the DLC, 1 from final boss in chalice dungeons and 3 from random chalice dungeons if you know the glyphs or just get lucky. Still way too much work to get more than the first two. After patch 1.09 you can also buy blood rocks from the vendor for 60 insight which can be farmed fairly easily just repeating some fast chalice dungeons or holding onto your insight during the main game and DLC.

I would not be surprised if Titanite Slabs become purchaseable after a DLC.

Mik317

I beat it.

holy shit I beat it.

I barely beat games anymore but this got me.

I tend to avoid hard games because of my anger issues...but outside of a few bad times (self inflicted) not so much here.

what a ride.

again I haven;t beaten (or played) many games this year but this is easy GOTY.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bloodborne has 6 too. 1 from the main game, 1 from the DLC, 1 from final boss in chalice dungeons and 3 from random chalice dungeons if you know the glyphs or just get lucky. Still way too much work to get more than the first two. After patch 1.09 you can also buy blood rocks from the vendor for 60 insight which can be farmed fairly easily just repeating some fast chalice dungeons or holding onto your insight during the main game and DLC.

I would not be surprised if Titanite Slabs become purchaseable after a DLC.

It's not a guaranteed drop from her. In fact, it's pretty rare.

Man, talking about Bloodborne making me yearn for that kind of combat again. That game's combat is sublime, and IMO is superior than Dark Souls 3.

2AdEPT

why does it hurt? they go to 10.

Yeah, no, nothing to do with upgrading, I just didnt get the manikin version to drop at all period for my luck character...no invader showed in Irythyll and anywhere else this playthrough...I was specifically trying to get them too so it hurts...wasted hours trying to get that invasion to trigger. It would have been nice for this character to get them as it is my only luck character.

squidyj

Yeah, no, nothing to do with upgrading, I just didnt get the manikin version to drop at all period for my luck character...no invader showed in Irythyll and anywhere else this playthrough...I was specifically trying to get them too so it hurts...wasted hours trying to get that invasion to trigger. It would have been nice for this character to get them as it is my only luck character.

I didn't take the chance, I transfered them in from another character along with anri's sword to make sure I had some nice luck weapons to start with

Seaklng

Banned
A
ldrich
down at SL1!
Fuck those arrows. The main determining factor in actually beating him was that the RNG only did the arrow move once!

Aldrich
is an asshole. Best of luck with your remaining bosses. :]

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I didn't take the chance, I transfered them in from another character along with anri's sword to make sure I had some nice luck weapons to start with

The invaders only appear if you are on bad terms with Yuria. Killing her or curing your Dark Sigil, for instance. Of course you need to be in Ember form as well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That feeling when you mean to follow-up R1 and it would have finished off two phantoms at once, but instead your character kicked and you get stunlocked to death right after... ;_;

2AdEPT

The invaders only appear if you are on bad terms with Yuria. Killing her or curing your Dark Sigil, for instance. Of course you need to be in Ember form as well.

Im not sure that's it as I killed Anri to get her sword early, right after I got the morion blade...what could be more of a piss off to Yuria? I did try to be nice to Sirris this time though and didnt offer a ple tongue to Rosaria etc. so maybe that;s it?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Im not sure that's it as I killed Anri to get her sword early, right after I got the morion blade...what could be more of a piss off to Yuria? I did try to be nice to Sirris this time though and didnt offer a ple tongue to Rosaria etc. so maybe that;s it?

Curing off your dark sigil is a surefire way to piss her off. Or killing her, that'll work too, hahaha.

Yuria doesn't have anything to do with Rosaria Finger :)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I beat it.

holy shit I beat it.

I barely beat games anymore but this got me.

I tend to avoid hard games because of my anger issues...but outside of a few bad times (self inflicted) not so much here.

what a ride.

again I haven;t beaten (or played) many games this year but this is easy GOTY.

Congrats! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's a guaranteed drop the first time you defeat the invader. Unless I've been extremely lucky on three characters all of which didn't invest in luck or have ID items on em :p.

Yeah, all the NPC invaders give you their items with a 100% like Kirk, Arva, etc etc, so that's why I find it rather hard to believe it's not a 100% drop.

Tarkus

I do use a lot of charged R2s, but there is something else that the weapon does really well. :p

It's definitely good, but not OP. It still takes skill to do well with it, unlike the Estoc.
It may take some skill to use, but it can be the most hyperaggressive vicious weapon in the game. I get bloodborne feels when I use it.
It's always my side arm for when people go into desperation mode with their Estoc or Dork Sword.

Alo0oy

Banned
After calming down from deleting my character, I decided my next build is a Darkrift build. Is it any good? I know Dark Hand sucks, but I'm gonna use it for style points anyway.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anyone knows which straight sword has the highest reach/range?

Edit:
OMG STOP KICKING

Can't believe how often I die because of this shit. It was never an issue in the other games, what gives?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
After calming down from deleting my character, I decided my next build is a Darkrift build. Is it any good? I know Dark Hand sucks, but I'm gonna use it for style points anyway.

I quite like the Dark Hand as a back-up on a 'shieldless' build for those clutch moments. It doesn't weigh anything and mitigates an okay amount of elemental damage across the board.

I haven't dug too deeply into the Darkdrift. It's the only katana that I haven't topped out (waiting to get everything I can on NG before trading the coil for a slab and moving on). I can't talk about the damage since it changed after the last patch. Prior to that it was pretty average amongst the katana family. You can't infuse it and I think the scaling isn't great either (D/C at +5). From what I've seen, the standard moveset is pretty much the same as the Uchi, as is the speed and stamina consumption.

It's main quirk is the blade is semi-invisible, which I'm not sure is very useful outside of PvP, if it is at all. The WA is a shield piercing move with - as I recall - a fairly hefty wind-up but pretty good tracking. Again, not sure about the damage it does.

Overall, it doesn't stand out to me amongst the katanas bar it's WA and invisible blade, but
Yuria
looks badass with it. :D

I'm finding the Black Blade to be the hidden gem amongst katanas at the moment, despite its short blade. I switch between that and U&O for PvP.

Hypron

A
ldrich
down at SL1!

Good luck for the
Dancer
, he's the one I found the hardest so far at SL1 (I'm up to the
dragonslayer armour
which hits really hard but is easy to avoid).

Top Bottom