• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

I really dread RoS/Farron Keep/Catacombs on repeat playthroughs, it just feels like a slog to go round and pick things up and put out the flames. I didn't mind them on first playthrough but they feel like a real chore to do now, I'm always glad once they're done. I've kind of got my bearings in the swamp now, so I can hit all 3 flames pretty easily, but this early game slump is the least entertaining stretch of the game for me.

It takes like 5 minutes because you already know where the flames are.

Toxi

Banned
Guess that makes up for the super long cast time, and how it does pretty subpar damage to everything else D:. I miss clerics of Vanilla DaS 2(pre-nerf)

Also,
AHHHHHH SPIDER!
Magic in general has been nerfed in a bad way. It's just sad comparing the repertoire of a sorcerer in Dark Souls 2 to a sorcerer in Dark Souls 3.

Tarkus

Ah good to know about that shield but I have a dex-str build though so I have to use the rapier in my off-hand, also I've been doing some PvP so I'm pretty much done with vertebra shackles and tongues and I think I have like 12 bloodgrass, I'm lvl 120 right now though so I think is to late for me to get the dregs and the rest of the bloodgrass trough PvP, also I forgot to mention I'm using the gold serpent ring, I think I'm gonna make a run for the +1 version before I start farming though since I'm almost at the end of ng+.
It would be nice if you farmed them using the Falcon Shield. We've put in a lot of work here and the more data about this, the better. If you find yourself farming and killing with one weapon, please consider the Falcon Shield on your back to see if your drops increase.

I often forget just how important enemy damage resists are. Was doing a faith playthrough, and I was shocked at just how quickly Lightning Spears took down the armored cathedral knights. Greatsword cathedral knights become a lot less annoying when you can just poise a point-blank lightning bolt to their face.

I have been using a refined drakeblood greatsword for a while now. Mixture of physical/magical/lightning works relatively well.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anyone knows which straight sword has the highest reach/range?

I didn't save it, but someone on reddit actually calculated their ranges and put it on a table for comparison. He/she also set out to find which straight sword has the highest amount of damage and DPS.

Surprise, surprise, the answer is exactly the one you imagine. The Dark Sword.

Not to mention the community has pretty much agreed that the Dark Sword has phantom range in PVPs.

Oh the Dark Sword....

Magic in general has been nerfed in a bad way. It's just sad comparing the repertoire of a sorcerer in Dark Souls 2 to a sorcerer in Dark Souls 3.

Range in general. Arrows have been limited to 99 to discourage bow only playthroughs. It's as if they want everyone to be a primary melee build, with magic, miracles, pyromancey and arrows being secondary. It's really annoying...with clerics it's understandable since they're supposed to be a melee/spell hybrids. However, sorcerers aren't, they're supposed to be like "MAGIC! You're dead"

Didn't have a problem with that, but I started as an assassin.

It was a problem for me for a while. But then I noticed some shields' weapon art is that you do the weapon art of your right hand weapon. So I just put that shield on, equip a dagger as my second right hand weapon, and then do the quick-step. Then if I encounter enemies I just switch to my first right hand weapon.

Ah good to know about that shield but I have a dex-str build though so I have to use the rapier in my off-hand, also I've been doing some PvP so I'm pretty much done with vertebra shackles and tongues and I think I have like 12 bloodgrass, I'm lvl 120 right now though so I think is to late for me to get the dregs and the rest of the bloodgrass trough PvP, also I forgot to mention I'm using the gold serpent ring, I think I'm gonna make a run for the +1 version before I start farming though since I'm almost at the end of ng+.
Ah okay. Don't worry, the PvP range is gigantic. I'm SL 135 and I still see plenty of invasion signs outside P
ontiff
. Just equip the covenant item and farm the d
eacons
for the dregs. The rate isn't too crappy, I'd get one every like 2 or 3 runs.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Jesus some invaders are idiots. I invade, some other guy invades, I take off my untrue dark ring to make sure he doesn't attack me, and okay, he doesn't.

I then put the ring back... and he starts attacking me. WTF?

I roll away, take the ring off (and yell "Hey!"), he stops attacking. Okay... then we search for the host, I go check some place, not there, I come back... oh look the host and his phantoms are approaching the other invader. Cool, 2v2...

...Then the invader black crystals out.

Wat

pixxxelz

And I'm done with swordgrass, that wasn't too bad. Now to farm dregs.

It would be nice if you farmed them using the Falcon Shield. We've put in a lot of work here and the more data about this, the better. If you find yourself farming and killing with one weapon, please consider the Falcon Shield on your back to see if your drops increase.
Will do :).

Mistel

Banned
Hey there. So you're finally playing DS3 and building your internal encyclopedia? :) Welcome.
Yes! Wonderful addition to the thread.
Starting to build it although I'm interested in the next couple of patches and seeing if anything major changes before going concrete on it.
I didn't save it, but someone on reddit actually calculated their ranges and put it on a table for comparison. He/she also set out to find which straight sword has the highest amount of damage and DPS.

Surprise, surprise, the answer is exactly the one you imagine. The Dark Sword.
That table whilst accurate for 40/40 it didin't take into account the Oath of Sunlight buff of 11.5 AR % on the SSS which makes it the strongest straight sword once in use.

Okay Nameless King NG+ is a bitch. 5 deaths so far. Took him down to 40% of health only once. Even Dragonslayer Shield does not help me much as after I block his barrage of attacks I ran out of stamina to attack with my Great Club +10... bah. I guess roll 4 lyfe then? I mean all of his attacks are kinda slow and telegraphed and he is not as fierce as Gundyr... it's just that I make stupid mistakes i.e. block his slow-ass impale attack.

And this first phase Ancient Dragon AoE Fire attack can go to hell. Always hits me for 90% health.

In the meantime I one-shot Dragonslayer Armor. Feels good man.

Vitten

Okay Nameless King NG+ is a bitch. 5 deaths so far. Took him down to 40% of health only once. Even Dragonslayer Shield does not help me much as after I block his barrage of attacks I ran out of stamina to attack with my Great Club +10... bah. I guess roll 4 lyfe then? I mean all of his attacks are kinda slow and telegraphed and he is not as fierce as Gundyr... it's just that I make stupid mistakes i.e. block his slow-ass impale attack.

And this first phase Ancient Dragon AoE Fire attack can go to hell. Always hits me for 90% health.

Any particular reason you want to beat NK in NG+ ? As far as I know there's no special reward from it. On NG++ there's at least a +2 ring after beating him you need for the trophies.
If you want you can sorta cheese his second form with Dragonslayer Shield and an Avelyn+10. Lock on but keep a safe distance from him with the shield up and then just fire away with the Avelyn.

His AoE is easy to dodge, when he flies up just run, run for your life!

Yeah he's a boss that punishes turtles so you need to roll for days

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Can I solo Yhorm and rescue
Siegward
from his cell later, and still get the slab?

Edit: well just tested and the answer is yes. Cool. I always wanted to fully solo Yhorm at least once haha.

Any particular reason you want to beat NK in NG+ ? As far as I know there's no special reward from it. On NG++ there's at least a +2 ring after beating him you need for the trophies.
If you want you can sorta cheese his second form with Dragonslayer Shield and an Avelyn+10. Lock on but keep a safe distance from him with the shield up and then just fire away with the Avelyn.

It's the first time I have meet him (missed him in my 100% blind NG0 playthrough) so I have to beat him now :) Besides I still need to kill him in NG+2 for the ring so...... better I learn his tricks now, no?

In typical Souls fashion I need to "git gud" and just try him a few more times. He seems very doable as long as you keep your cool down. Exactly the same as Fume Knight in NG+ in DaS2.

Contains very end-game spoilers:
I remember awhile back someone asked what would happen if you tried putting the Lords of Cinder in Flameless Shrine. Not sure if someone replied...but if they didn't, you can't do it. There's no option to place them :/. Would have been neat if they did something with it.

Can I solo Yhorm and rescue
Siegward
from his cell later, and still get the slab?

Edit: well just tested and the answer is yes. Cool. I always wanted to fully solo Yhorm at least once haha.

You never solo'd him? He's such a silly boss though :p

laxu

His AoE is easy to dodge, when he flies up just run, run for your life!

That fuckin' attack hits me most of the time because it's hard to figure out which way you should run because of the camera. The lack of visible ground in the fight makes it so hard to judge distances.

Overall I'd say this game has far too many bosses that hit like a truck so you might be dead before you can even get back up. By comparison Bloodborne seemed to have much better boss designs where they have nasty moves but most don't take your health down to almost nothing with one hit.

Soulhouf

Haha I never used the damn weapon arts. I should experiment with it more I guess. On this character, I use the sword strictly one-handed, with the offhand shortsword or dagger (I used to use a poison rapier, for pokes and parrying, but I switched it to a blessed ghru dagger for parrying + regen + poison if I ever want to bother -- though so far I haven't used the dagger's poison at all). It's for role-play reasons, for my character. But yeah though he's a dual wielder, nothing to say he can't two-hand his longsword every now and then.

It's very useful. One of my favorite additions of DS3 is the weapon arts.
I recorded a small invasion video where I used that weapon art against someone who was turteling behind a shield.
BTW it was from my PS4 and holy shit! The feature is really easy to use.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I recorded a small invasion video where I used that weapon art against someone who was turteling behind a shield.
Ah so it does a guard break eh? Well the kick does as well, but this guy who ran from me wasn't just turtling, he was rolling backwards too so it was hard to follow-up. The art would have surely been better than a kick there though, I guess, but it might have also whiffed.

A few more vids coming up tomorrow, btw. Nothing as funny as those I recorded prior, sadly, except maybe one -- I think the Catacombs are more suited for funny shenanigans than Irithyll. Gonna try the dungeon next, I didn't have as much fun in Irithyll (I might have levelled/upgraded myself out of range of the Catacombs though, so I hope the dungeon/capital are fun to invade :p).

laxu

Is there any way to open the door in Anor Londo behind the red eyed knight, on the right from the main doors on top of the stairs from the bonfire?

I caught someone with the Bastard Swords L2 > R2! It's so slow but the tracking is so good and man it is satisfying to launch people into the air Dark Souls 1 style.

Gestahl

It's hard to get a sense sometimes of how powerful a bleed build is but then you bring the Champ down to one knee and take off 40% of his health bar without even applying any rouge and it becomes readily apparent just how fucking dangerous shit like the Carthus Curved Sword actually is

Soulhouf

Ah so it does a guard break eh? Well the kick does as well, but this guy who ran from me wasn't just turtling, he was rolling backwards too so it was hard to follow-up. The art would have surely been better than a kick there though, I guess, but it might have also whiffed.

A few more vids coming up tomorrow, btw. Nothing as funny as those I recorded prior, sadly, except maybe one -- I think the Catacombs are more suited for funny shenanigans than Irithyll. Gonna try the dungeon next, I didn't have as much fun in Irithyll (I might have levelled/upgraded myself out of range of the Catacombs though, so I hope the dungeon/capital are fun to invade :p).

Yep and the R2 weapon does basically the same thing but with a longer range. Good players will parry it to punish you but it's good against those who are constantly backing off with their shield up.

Sarcasm

Is there any way to open the door in Anor Londo behind the red eyed knight, on the right from the main doors on top of the stairs from the bonfire?

The big door right up from the bonfire to boss? Somewhat yes. If you want to sunbro it up.

What weapon is it?

It takes like 5 minutes because you already know where the flames are.
... And grab all the loot.... What do you mean you don't have to grab all the loot every runthrough, even if you don't need it?!

I think these wide flat areas just seem boring to retread on replays, it isn't just the swamp, RoS is also dull imo and one of the worst looking areas, it has a very similar palette to Shaded Woods which was a full-on design crime.

... And grab all the loot.... What do you mean you don't have to grab all the loot every runthrough, even if you don't need it?!

I think these wide flat areas just seem boring to retread on replays, it isn't just the swamp, RoS is also dull imo and one of the worst looking areas, it has a very similar palette to Shaded Woods which was a full-on design crime.

It took me 15 mins to light the 3 flames and get ALL the LOOT in the Swamp in NG+.

Another 15 mins for Catacombs of Carthus (all loot).

Are you stopping and fighting every enemy in subsequent playthroughs?!? Just run to the loot and bonfire out when necessary.

I'm not saying it takes a long time, that's not my point. I was just commenting that the level design in this early-mid part of the game feels like a slump and is a chore to do on repeat playthroughs. I wasn't originally commenting solely on the swamp, I just think this part of the game is dull compared to Irithyll onwards.

I think it's the wide, flat level design of RoS/Farron Keep and parts of the Catacombs like the Lake that make it feel laboursome on repeat runs.

So killing all the mimics for the symbol of avarice and when i killed the final (
thirteenth
) one it didn't drop. I quit and reloaded and nothing there, i double checked all the other locations and they are all dead. Anyone have any advice?

I finally got back to my randomized character challenge playthrough after a week and now I'm having a "really bad day" in it. Lost 17K souls in the rafters in Grand Cathedral.

I thought there was supposed to be a way
to get to Rosaria's Bed Chamber
from the rafters but the guides only show how to get to it from a shortcut.

Arjen

I finally got back to my randomized character challenge playthrough after a week and now I'm having a "really bad day" in it. Lost 17K souls in the rafters in Grand Cathedral.

I thought there was supposed to be a way
to get to Rosaria's Bed Chamber
from the rafters but the guides only show how to get to it from a shortcut.

Theres a drop down from the rafters

laxu

I'm not saying it takes a long time, that's not my point. I was just commenting that the level design in this early-mid part of the game feels like a slump and is a chore to do on repeat playthroughs. I wasn't originally commenting solely on the swamp, I just think this part of the game is dull compared to Irithyll onwards.

I think it's the wide, flat level design of RoS/Farron Keep and parts of the Catacombs like the Lake that make it feel laboursome on repeat runs.

I agree completely. Lothric Castle and Undead Settlement are a lot of fun but then the game takes a pretty big dive in level quality overall until you get to Irithyll. Then it takes another dive at Anor Londo as that level is pretty bad but I suppose it's a DS1 throwback.

So killing all the mimics for the symbol of avarice and when i killed the final (
thirteenth
) one it didn't drop. I quit and reloaded and nothing there, i double checked all the other locations and they are all dead. Anyone have any advice?
It isn't a guaranteed drop like it was in DS1, it's better to farm them if you want it by lobbing lloyds talismans at them until it drops. So now your options are either get someone to drop it for you, or wait until NG+.

Just started the game and this is so much better than I expected (Dark Souls 2 left an awful taste in my mouth).

I’m using the butchers knife +3 and loving it as it reminds me of Bloodborne in the way it gets your energy back, in fact early on in the game and this looks like the perfect weapon to play until the end unless something is better than this?

I’m just about to start Farron Keep but if there is one thing I’ve noticed about the game is its pretty easy so far, so either the butchers knife is overpowered (I’m on SL35) or it’s the easiest Souls game so far

Toxi

Banned
I agree completely. Lothric Castle and Undead Settlement are a lot of fun but then the game takes a pretty big dive in level quality overall until you get to Irithyll. Then it takes another dive at Anor Londo as that level is pretty bad but I suppose it's a DS1 throwback.
Cathedral of the Deep is one of the best areas in the game though.

And honestly, the Road of Sacrifices is pretty awesome with how open it is and how it's one of the few major branches of the game.

I don't really hate any of the areas in this game.

laxu

Cathedral of the Deep is one of the best areas in the game though.

Yeah I always forget the Cathedral. It's a good level..with some really annoying enemies. :)

Visually Road of Sacrifices looks crap though. Maybe if it had better lighting it would work better.

Toxi

Banned
Question: Does anybody here try actually role playing when they do a Souls playthrough? It seems like a fun way of doing things, having a character in mind that you actually tailor your decisions to.
Yeah I always forget the Cathedral. It's a good level..with some really annoying enemies. :)

Visually Road of Sacrifices looks crap though. Maybe if it had better lighting it would work better.
Yeah it's graphically rough and the first part with the Corvians is boring, but the flooded forest section is very visually distinctive and the sound design is so fucking creepy with the ambient sounds and the groaning stake carriers. That was probably the first time in Dark Souls 3 I felt legitimately intimidated and alone.

My least favorite area to play through is the Catacombs of Carthus. Bland visually with uninspired level design and the shrouded skeletons are very frustrating enemies. Not to mention previous games did the catacomb setting much better, especially Demon's Souls with the Shrine of Storms. Only redeeming factor is the boss looks very cool.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Question: Does anybody here try actually role playing when they do a Souls playthrough? It seems like a fun way of doing things, having a character in mind that you actually tailor your decisions to.
My "cosplay" characters are like that. In Dark Souls 1 I had a Melisandre pyromancer haha. In DS2 I made Drizzt and Jarlaxle and in DS3 I made Drizzt and Entreri. Entreri's a ruthless asshole invader who gives no fucks about honour. :D

I do "theme" my original characters too. My faith build is an honourable paladin. My dex has some honour, but she's a cunning opportunist. My mage is an old witch who doesn't give a shit.

My least favorite area to play through is the Catacombs of Carthus. Bland visually with uninspired level design and the shrouded skeletons are very frustrating enemies. Not to mention previous games did the catacomb setting much better, especially Demon's Souls with the Shrine of Storms. Only redeeming factor is the boss looks very cool.
I agree but it's surprisingly fun to invade. My favourite invasion level so far. I almost regret levelling up and moving on to further locales...

Essay

Anyone ever find out if the Horsehoof ring does anything to non-kick forward+R1's, like the curved swords' back flip and rapiers' backstep pokes?

My sorcerer build made me realize how goddamn good they are for jolly cooperation. When we can split the aggro between 2 or more players, it gives me a lot of space to nuke away. As long as the host doesn't make any stupid mistakes it makes for a really easy battle. Sorceries do a shit ton of damage when you have 60 int, both sorc boosting rings, Scholar's Candlestick, and Crown of Dusk.

It isn't a guaranteed drop like it was in DS1, it's better to farm them if you want it by lobbing lloyds talismans at them until it drops. So now your options are either get someone to drop it for you, or wait until NG+.

Ahh OK, i'd read somewhere that the final one was guaranteed to drop it. Thanks :).

If anyone on PS4 has an symbol of avariceo they'd be willing to give me, it'd be a huge help.

Top Bottom