• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

I wish we'd get an ultimate ds game announced this e3, not dumbed down and piss easy if you have completed previous entries solo. It's so fucking predictable if you can manage to handle a dodge button.
And yet it's the best game released this year so far. :p

edit: I'm just a decent player who can dodge and attack r1/charge r2, it's just that I would love to be surprised and trolled far beyond somme gimmicky bossfights.

Well your first souls game is always your hardest one. You can use some stuff like the rings which increase damage taken or the champions covenant in Dark Souls 2 but once you get the hang of mechanics there is not much new, especially if you're very skilled. They'd have to reinvent some stuff but making one of these games pretty much yearly doesn't let FROM reinvent the wheel. This is why I'm hopeful that we won't be getting a Souls game for a while now. At least take 3 to 4 years to make a new one.

Ferr986

I wish we'd get an ultimate ds game announced this e3, not dumbed down and piss easy if you have completed previous entries solo. It's so fucking predictable if you can manage to handle a dodge button.
And yet it's the best game released this year so far. :p

edit: I'm just a decent player who can dodge and attack r1/charge r2, it's more that I would love to be surprised and trolled far beyond some gimmicky bossfights.

The only way to make these games harder is either going all Defiled Chalice and be one shotted by bosses or go all Iron Passage from DS2 and makes them more based on coop.

Let's be real, Dark Souls 3 is NOT piss easy and dumbed down. It's just that we already played 5 of the same games, so we are used to it's combat and enemies.

Gbraga

I must suck at this game more than I thought, no way I'd be able to call it piss easy after
Nameless King
, and even some of the regular enemies. Shit's tough.

Audioboxer

What weapon are you using for that build? Been wanting to do a bleed build

The Warden Twinblades really are god tier for the build, especially with a carthus rogue buff. That L1 combo destroys if you manage to land it. Fairly short range so good PVP players will handle you fairly well.

My 2nd weapon with hollow for maximum luck boost is currently the great corvian scythe, but I'm going to change it to a hollow washing pole for better range.

The carthus curved sword is pretty god tier also. The greatsword version is decent, but I prefer fast weapons.

poodpick

I am mostly fighting melee because my spells do jack shit against him. I have a raw Uchi and Crystal Estoc, both +9 and they both suck :(

Try to get a raw Astora Straight Sword and buff it with fire. Should do well with that.

As mentioned above, if you have 12 faith get the Astora Straight Sword and infuse it with raw and then buff it with either fire or lightning resin. It has the highest AR of any raw straight sword.

bbd23

just popping in to say g
rand
a
rchives
is the worst level in the game.

the boss fight there is awesome though(haven't beat it yet). so close to the end. great game overall.

Late Flag

Fighting
Aldrich
as a pure sorcerer is a nightmare. On my DEX character I destroyed him with ease. Any tips?

I just finished NG+ as a SL 130 Pyro, and I was considering re-rolling a pure mage before moving on to NG++, just for something different on my third run en route to the platinum. Then it occurred to me that that boss would be tough as hell with that build. I had no problems at all with that guy being able to deal fire damage, but his resistance to magic would be a huge problem.

Actually, I think pyromancy is sort of easy mode for PVE. This build is perfectly positioned to dish out fire and dark damage more or less equally, and I don't believe anything in the game is strong to both of those elements. Toss in Astora's Greatsword, and it's a really versatile build that can deal with pretty much anything.

Ferr986

You misspelled Smoldering Lake/Demon Ruins.

Also misspelled.

That's the second worse.

And yeah I misspelled the misspelled word lol (I'm not native english so I'm prone to write badly :/)

I just finished NG+ as a SL 130 Pyro, and I was considering re-rolling a pure mage before moving on to NG++, just for something different on my third run en route to the platinum. Then it occurred to me that that boss would be tough as hell with that build. I had no problems at all with that guy being able to deal fire damage, but his resistance to magic would be a huge problem.

Actually, I think pyromancy is sort of easy mode for PVE. This build is perfectly positioned to dish out fire and dark damage more or less equally, and I don't believe anything in the game is strong to both of those elements. Toss in Astora's Greatsword, and it's a really versatile build that can deal with pretty much anything.

First pyro levels are still shit comparing to melee. It's just that once you get Chaos Fire Orb it's game over.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Surprised you didn't use the R2 weapon art at all. It's very useful in that kind of situations and It can end the fight much faster.
I'm very disappointed in you Morrigan :p
Haha I never used the damn weapon arts. I should experiment with it more I guess. On this character, I use the sword strictly one-handed, with the offhand shortsword or dagger (I used to use a poison rapier, for pokes and parrying, but I switched it to a blessed ghru dagger for parrying + regen + poison if I ever want to bother -- though so far I haven't used the dagger's poison at all). It's for role-play reasons, for my character. But yeah though he's a dual wielder, nothing to say he can't two-hand his longsword every now and then.

With that said it's always hilarious to see a host suicide at the end like that. Never understood what's the point of doing that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS: I love your invasion videos. Keep them coming :D
Yeah I don't get it either. I mean just... try to fight? What's the worst that could happen? What weirdoes. At least he didn't pull the plug, lol.

And thanks! I'll keep posting my more memorable invasions. :D

Dark sword always seem to me that has way more range that you would think.

But I despise straight swords, I barely use them.
:( Why would you despise them? How could anyone hate... swords...

It's the new katana meta, baby! :D
"New"? xD

It's strangely addicting, I find it hard to stop some nights. Even if things go horribly wrong and I barely make a dent in one of the two, three or four opponents I still find myself wanting more.
I know right! I tried invading Irithyll Valley last night. I think it wasn't as fun as the Catacombs though. Though I did get some fun 2v4 seed-using gankers and even won a few! But yeah lots of people using their seed of the giant tree here, it seems, and that's a bit annoying. Still it backfires on them sometimes, because I replaced Magic Weapon with Hidden Body and I cast it to hide from the enemies and they still aggro hosts and phantoms more then. :D

What's great and contributes to making invading hopelessly addictive, too, is that invasions are pretty much instant and constant. I almost never have to wait to find a host. I hope the activity remains stable for a while. Though that could hurt my backlog... I have other games to play but just keep invading xD

The physically longest straight sword is the Gotthard Twin Sword so that has the largest reach followed by the Lothric's Holy Sword. The Gotthard Twin Sword is deceptively big its similar to SourShoes favourite the Fume Sword where it's close to greatsword length.
I see, thanks. I wish the Gotthard left-hand sword were shorter, it'd be perfect. I guess its one-handed damage must be really bad and it's not worth using without the dual wield but I want to be able to parry. Hmm. Think I'll stick to my setup for now.

I think Lothric's holy sword has the longest range, but the AR is shit.
Gotcha. Won't bother then.

Tarkus

Ayyyyyy. I was fighting a guy with a Farron Greatsword and Wolf Knight Greatshield. They were turtling like crazy, so I tried to break his stamina down with R1 spam from the Thrall Axe to get the crit, then he parried me without switching to two hand. Like instantly. Turns out the Wolf Knight Greatshield let's you do the right hand weapon's L2 skill. That's not a bad setup.

Ayyyyyy. I was fighting a guy with a Farron Greatsword and Wolf Knight Greatshield. They were turtling like crazy, so I tried to break his stamina down with R1 spam from the Thrall Axe to get the crit, then he parried me without switching to two hand. Like instantly. Turns out the Wolf Knight Greatshield let's you do the right hand weapon's L2 skill. That's not a bad setup.

Yup, I love the shields that let you use the weapon art of your right hand weapon. Although, sometimes it does screw me over when I try to parry and my swords weapon art isn't parry :p.

Just Soloed Nameless King!!!! Lv 86 dex faith build. Took me so many tries but it was worth it. Used Lighting blade on my uchi so I could actually hit the damn dragon and stacked as much Lightning resist as I could so I didn't get OHKO. Did a bit of Sunbroing to help learn his tells and combos (pretty much instant summon as soon as I put the sign down) but I was getting frustrated that I couldn't pass him on my own so I tried like 100 different techniques till I got it. Supposedly the hardest boss in the game!
I actually found Gundyr to be a better boss imo, the camera was working against you for NK, whereas Gundyr you only have to face off against his sheer ferocity and chain combo..

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just Soloed Nameless King!!!! Lv 86 dex faith build. Took me so many tries but it was worth it. Used Lighting blade on my uchi so I could actually hit the damn dragon and stacked as much Lightning resist as I could so I didn't get OHKO. Did a bit of Sunbroing to help learn his tells and combos (pretty much instant summon as soon as I put the sign down) but I was getting frustrated that I couldn't pass him on my own so I tried like 100 different techniques till I got it. Supposedly the hardest boss in the game!
I actually found Gundyr to be a better boss imo, the camera was working against you for NK, whereas Gundyr you only have to face off against his sheer ferocity and chain combo..
Congrats! Yeah he's really hard and I can't imagine solo'ing him with a faith build haha, since he's so resistant to lightning. My faith build coop'ed this one with my friend, who did most of the damage really.

poodpick

Congrats! Yeah he's really hard and I can't imagine solo'ing him with a faith build haha, since he's so resistant to lightning. My faith build coop'ed this one with my friend, who did most of the damage really.

I used lightning blade on my raw glaive for the first phase and darkmoon blade on my raw astora straight sword for the second. On my NG++ pure miracle playthrough I used sunlight spear on the first phase and WoG on the second.

well i don't know what happened, but i got many (traduction : five/hour) summons as a Darkmoon. lvl 90 , in Great Archives.
Ten Concord get.

Fuck this, i'm not going for the 30 until they fix this (spoiler : it will never be fixed), all i wanted was the ring and darkmoon blade seems to sucks.

:( Why would you despise them? How could anyone hate... swords...

I don't think I played with a straight sword since...Demon Souls? Well probably I used them in other times, but I'm pretty sure I never completed a full playthrough with a straight sword since then (...well, the kirkhammer is part straight sword...I'll allow that one).

Is just that....I don't like them, I guess.

Also fuck Dark Sword R1 smashers, that made me hate swords even more. lol

Mistel

Banned
I see, thanks. I wish the Gotthard left-hand sword were shorter, it'd be perfect. I guess its one-handed damage must be really bad and it's not worth using without the dual wield but I want to be able to parry. Hmm. Think I'll stick to my setup for now.
Its rather middle of the road damage wise one handed not terrible but not up there with the Dark Sword and the ever forlorn bridesmaid of the group the Broadsword.

Respecced 15 times before I found a build and weapon I liked other than a Mage with Carthus Curved. Went with the Profaned Greatsword, the R2 with Leo ring does ridiculous damage.

I also tried doing a Pontiff build by using the Profaned in my right hand and Judgement in my left. Actually had some decent success online, but I feel that they should have let you buff both of them at once or give a unique moveset.

Kalentan

Using the password system, have a friend summon you via the red soap sign. Then kill, rinse and repeat.

Or lay your red soap sign down after Pontiff.

Question about this... Do I need a friend that is around my level or does the password get around that?

Tarkus

Respecced 15 times before I found a build and weapon I liked other than a Mage with Carthus Curved. Went with the Profaned Greatsword, the R2 with Leo ring does ridiculous damage.

I also tried doing a Pontiff build by using the Profaned in my right hand and Judgement in my left. Actually had some decent success online, but I feel that they should have let you buff both of them at once or give a unique moveset.
Yes, I OHK someone with like 1400 damage on a counter with the 2 handed fully charged R2. Profained Wrecksword.

Hey there. So you're finally playing DS3 and building your internal encyclopedia? :) Welcome.
Yes! Wonderful addition to the thread.

Arjen

I don't think I played with a straight sword since...Demon Souls? Well probably I used them in other times, but I'm pretty sure I never completed a full playthrough with a straight sword since then (...well, the kirkhammer is part straight sword...I'll allow that one).

Is just that....I don't like them, I guess.

Also fuck Dark Sword R1 smashers, that made me hate swords even more. lol

Same, it feels so boring compared to the other cool weapons that are in the game.

Ferr986

So the scholar candlestic, I suppose I have to equip and wear it when casting for the sorceries boost, not just equip it, right?

EDIT: Nvm , just tested it. Sucks that I have to wear it too, but expected.

LiK

ENB back to his ol' hijinks now that he's done with the blind nonsense. Back to goofing around again. He's gonna be disappointed with how much of a grind it's gonna be to get Plat because of those damn covenant rings and spells.

You mispelled Farron Keep.
I really dread RoS/Farron Keep/Catacombs on repeat playthroughs, it just feels like a slog to go round and pick things up and put out the flames. I didn't mind them on first playthrough but they feel like a real chore to do now, I'm always glad once they're done. I've kind of got my bearings in the swamp now, so I can hit all 3 flames pretty easily, but this early game slump is the least entertaining stretch of the game for me.

Deku Tree

ENB back to his ol' hijinks now that he's done with the blind nonsense. Back to goofing around again. He's gonna be disappointed with how much of a grind it's gonna be to get Plat because of those damn covenant rings and spells.

Especially if he doesn't really PvP.... Wonder if he would cheese the mound makers covenant? Or have a friend drop rings for him?

Finished my first (mostly) blind run of Dark Souls 3. Got the
The end of Fire
ending. Super fun, might look up what the trophies are now and try to clear some out before moving into NG+. Finishing stats: Level 84, 42 hours and 45 minutes.

EDIT: Oh i just looked up a list of bonfire and there is lots that i missed, yay!

Toxi

Banned
I often forget just how important enemy damage resists are. Was doing a faith playthrough, and I was shocked at just how quickly Lightning Spears took down the armored cathedral knights. Greatsword cathedral knights become a lot less annoying when you can just poise a point-blank lightning bolt to their face.

Hitboxes in this game are funny at times. If you do the lay down gesture against P
ontiff
like all but one attack will miss you.

I often forget just how important enemy damage resists are. Was doing a faith playthrough, and I was shocked at just how quickly Lightning Spears took down the armored cathedral knights. Greatsword cathedral knights become a lot less annoying when you can just poise a point-blank lightning bolt to their face.

Guess that makes up for the super long cast time, and how it does pretty subpar damage to everything else D:. I miss clerics of Vanilla DaS 2(pre-nerf)

Also,
AHHHHHH SPIDER!

It's funny how awesome and accurate the hitboxes are for most of the game, esp early on. But then you get to the end, and the hitboxes become a "WTF"? Aka the big chain wielding guy that will throw the blade through the wall and hit you.. lol

That's just shitty planning on Froms part. Enemies don't have wall collision like we do :mad:. I died to freaking rats because I had no poise, and I was in a tight corridor with a swing-type weapon. I was SL 120 and I died to NG rats.

pixxxelz

Is 357 item discovery enough to farm the covenant mats? I want to make this as quick as possible, and I can reach that much without leveling up luck at all with the crystal sage rapier, symbol of avarice and rusted coin.

Is 357 item discovery enough to farm the covenant mats? I want to make this as quick as possible, and I can reach that much without leveling up luck at all with the crystal sage rapier, symbol of avarice and rusted coin.

Use Golden Falcon Shield too. It may not show it increases ID, however, it worked wonders for me. Others in this thread also reported that it helped increase Proof farming. As a comparison, without it, it took me 45min+ to get a single one, and with it I got one under 16min each time. In my experience from farming Bloodgrass, Proofs, and Tongues, proofs took the longest followed by tongues, then dregs, and then bloodgrass. If you're good at PvP you don't really need to farm Tongues. However, the auto-summoning for Proofs and Bloodgrass is abysmal so you pretty much have to farm to get em. Dreg auto-summoning works quite well though.

Also, Golden Serpent Ring helps your ID

pixxxelz

Use Golden Falcon Shield too. It may not show it increases ID, however, it worked wonders for me. Others in this thread also reported that it helped increase Proof farming. As a comparison, without it, it took me 45min+ to get a single one, and with it I got one under 16min each time. In my experience from farming Bloodgrass, Proofs, and Tongues, proofs took the longest followed by tongues, then dregs, and then bloodgrass. If you're good at PvP you don't really need to farm Tongues. However, the auto-summoning for Proofs and Bloodgrass is abysmal so you pretty much have to farm to get em. Dreg auto-summoning works quite well though.

Also, Golden Serpent Ring helps your ID
Ah good to know about that shield but I have a dex-str build though so I have to use the rapier in my off-hand, also I've been doing some PvP so I'm pretty much done with vertebra shackles and tongues and I think I have like 12 bloodgrass, I'm lvl 120 right now though so I think is to late for me to get the dregs and the rest of the bloodgrass trough PvP, also I forgot to mention I'm using the gold serpent ring, I think I'm gonna make a run for the +1 version before I start farming though since I'm almost at the end of ng+.

Top Bottom