• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Sarcasm

Just love mobs that can combo head grabbing moves, dodge one, get telegraphed for second one. You fall get up and immediately again.

Niiicceeeee.

Tarkus

Speaking of Gank Squads I actually got summoned into one lol. I was bored and gave into the temptations D:. I wonder if I fought anyone on this thread :p
Wasn't me unless you were at the Catacombs earlier. Some host playing the gate game while he summons phantoms.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oath of Sunlight is entirely different from a typical elemental buff as it is not an elemental/aux buff it's a physical AR gain of 11.5% so it has not elemental damage reduction at all so oath increased damage gives it the highest AR of the straight sword class whilst under its influence. Any elemental buff suffers from split damage so of course its going to be lower damage with regards to defenses unlike Oath of Sunlight. This is even ignoring the other benefits the SSS weapon art has with the damage reduction which in conjunction with the physical AR buff of 11.5% are worth the investment into FTH.

Hmmmmm good point, I admit.

Havel's Greathsield +5 makes The Princes NG+ fight a joke. You can tank all the physical hits. Of course rolling was also necessary in the 2nd phase :)

That fight is a joke in general. The only attacks that you will need to watch out for are the sweeping upwards attack and the super long sword overhead attack. Those ones can take a large chunk of your health away. His attacks are easily telegraphed though

Takashi

Finally done farming proofs. Actually got a couple of lucky summons which certainly helped.

I tested out the Golden Falcon Shield during this last stretch of farming, but unfortunately I didn't notice much of a difference in drop rate. When I first started proof farming I recall getting 8 proofs after killing 240 knights. When I used the shield just now, I still got 8 after the same amount of knights. Both times were at 307 item discovery (mimic head, gold serpent ring, rusted coin), and I only killed the two knights on the stairs. Not that big a sample size but I figured I'd post the results in case it helps. Though if others have stated that it drastically improved drop rates, then I could just be the outlier and experienced bad luck.

laxu

What do you consider to be the best shields in each size? I've been going around with just the Golden Falcon Shield (haven't noticed any real difference in item drops, took me about 20 hunters charms to farm Symbol of Avarice for example) and Shield of Want generally.

Generally all of the last 5 bosses in the game are hard as they should be:

1. The Champ
2. The Armor (I found it super easy)
3. The Princes
4. The Soul
5. The King

Some say The Dancer is also hard.

I'm going for a strength build in my first play through and using the butchers knife +3

Is there any other weapons worth checking out or is the butchers knife fine to continue to level up till the end of the game

laxu

There are some bosses that can be either pretty easy or hard depending on what weapon you're wielding. I had a tough time with the Abyss Watchers on my first playthrough using a Uchigatana because it doesn't stagger them as much as the straight swords do.

Likewise Aldrich can be a pain in the ass if you haven't got RNGJesus on your side.

Gundyr is all about being on the top of your dodge game as well as circling him without dodging.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
1. NK
2. SoC
3. Twins
4. Pontiff
That's the boss we're talking about...

For me:
Soul of Cinder, Aldrich, Pontiff, Dragonslayer, and Nameless King are all harder. Edit: O, and Champion Gundyr, screw that roundhouse kick bs
Hmm can't agree on any of those except TNK and SoC. To me TNK, SoC and L&L are all about equally hard (and by far the hardest bosses of the game).

How do people struggle with Dragonslayer Armour? o_O

Here's my tentative ranking/tiers (hope we're not still spoiler-tagging? I tagged the late-game ones just in case) :

-- S-tier:
The Nameless King
Lorian & Lothric
Soul of Cinders
Abyss Watchers

-- A-tier
Pontiff Sulyvahn
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods

-- B-tier
Champion Gundyr
Dragonslayer Armour
Old Demon King

-- C-tier
Oceiros, the Consumed King
Dancer of the Boreal Valley

-- D-tier
Iudex Gundyr
Vordt of the Boreal Valley
Crystal Sage

-- E-tier
Deacons of the Deep
Curse-Rotted Greatwood

-- Gimmick bosses that I don't quite know how to rank:
High Lord Wolnir
Yhorm the Giant
Ancient Wyvern (the level is harder/more dangerous than most C-tier and lower bosses though :p fuck that drake-thing with the chain, I swear)

I'm sure people will disagree with my rankings but oh well. Personally the Abyss Watchers were one of the toughest fights my first time (and on new playthoughs they'd still kill me every now and then), but Aldrich, Gundyr and Dragonslayer never gave me trouble (technically Vordt killed me more often than them, LOL). Honestly the Old Demon King is possibly more annoying (unless you cheese him with ranged attacks). I'm tempted to move Aldrich to B-tier, as I find Pontiff Sulyvahn far more dangerous, but his magic patterns can vary a lot and be a bit of a pain. Still, I always manage because he's kind of squishy so I can typically brute force him. :p

Szadek

TNK killed me more often that any other boss for sure.
The second place goes to the Twins, closely followed by SoC.

I ended up sniping dancer and PS with spells, so I can't tell how hard they would be if I fought them in meele.

Aldrich
wasn't too bad once I learned how to dodge the arrows.
I didn't use any spels outside of weapon buffs, since he has pretty strong ranged attacks.

Can't understand how people find Pontiff hard. He is slow as fuck in the 2nd phase, barely attacks. Like you have to wait 20 seconds for him to attack whereas Gundyr attacks you 40 times in those 20 seconds.

And yeah you do not block Pontiff. It's rolling all day.

RE: Aldrich

Is the RNG game regarding him related to shooting the arrows in 2nd phase? It's not RNG related. He does not shoot arrows if you are constantly staying on his ass.

Sarcasm

Can't understand how people find Pontiff hard. He is slow as fuck in the 2nd phase, barely attacks. Like you have to wait 20 seconds for him to attack whereas Gundyr attacks you 40 times in those 20 seconds.

Got him on my first try in NG. Second try on NG+ =/

Defuser

Man, dagger only build throughout the game is hella fun. Sidestep is OP better than rolling, daggers hits fast,less stamina used and cause bleed damage which most bosses can bleed for good damage.

Most people have difficulty on his first phase because his swipes are wide and reach his back where people usually attack. His second phase is easier because he mostly jumps around and his shadow usually telegraph his attack.

Mistel

Banned
The Flamberge drop rate might be up there with Proofs. 1 hour and nothing yet.
It's worth farming for its definitely the strongest iteration of the Flamberge its very much like 2's slightly STR oriented Royal Greatsword not so much the DEX heavy greatsword has been in the past.

Tarkus

It's worth farming for its definitely the strongest iteration of the Flamberge its very much like 2's slightly STR oriented Royal Greatsword not so much the DEX heavy greatsword has been in the past.
It took me 2 hours to get one. I really like it! It looks nice and it does 469 AR on my 40 /40 build(**at +9). It has the Bastard Sword/Twin Princes moveset, which I prefer over the Claymore's in this game. The bleed could work, but I think you'd need a quick, high bleed low damage weapon to set it up.

I'm glad this weapon doesn't thrust. The greatsword class' thrusts just don't work for me now in duels. Oddly, the UGS class thrust seems to make contact about 5x more often for me. Probably because of wonky hit boxes and lag :p

And it just doesn't make sense that a weapon like the Flamberge, which weighs 8.5 units, is heavier than the Astora Greatsword at 8 units.

Haha I needed about 70k more souls to level up so I went to Anor Londo and equipped all the +EXP gear like Shield of Want, Mimic Head etc.

I killed 6 Silver Knights (15k each) and got... 2 Concord Proofs. Count them: 6 KNIGHTS for 2 PROOFS in 4 MINUTES.

WHAT. THE. HELL.

Cat Party

All I have left to do in my playthrough is the last bit of Archdragon Peak after the bell bonfire, and then fight the last three bosses (I've been taking my time getting through this game). Sounds like all three are very tough.

Toughest boss for me has been Aldrich so far.

I think I'm gonna change the rules of my randomized character playthrough to help its general pacing of it and instead of "level up whatever you got" I'll just have it be "you can level up 5 points in a random stat + 1 point in vigor everytime you clear a boss" that way it's 20x less arbitrary.

squidyj

I died a bunch against pontiff the first time I fought him because up until that point in the game not a single boss had actually punished me for being greedy.

Deku Tree

How does FROM make games like DKS3 and BB that are so good and so long without feeling like they have any Bloat? (not counting things like Trophy hunting and chalice dungeon farming.) The games can be more than twice as long if you want to go to the optional areas and beat the optional bosses.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How does FROM make games like DKS3 and BB that are so good and so long without feeling like they have any Bloat? (not counting things like Trophy hunting and chalice dungeon farming.) The games can be more than twice as long if you want to go to the optional areas and beat the optional bosses.
Aye, quite amazing how they manage the quality/quantity ratio so well. Pretty much zero bloat, yet still lengthy without overstaying its welcome.

(As for trophy/chalice farming, that's just self-inflicted boredom and it's more meta-gaming than actual gaming, I don't count it at all.)

Alo0oy

Banned
I can't believe I didn't PvP with the Black Knight Greatsword sooner, the R2 is amazing against parry spammers, especially when you mix it up with the R1.

I've decided that it's the best UGS in the game.

Aye, quite amazing how they manage the quality/quantity ratio so well. Pretty much zero bloat, yet still lengthy without overstaying its welcome.

(As for trophy/chalice farming, that's just self-inflicted boredom and it's more meta-gaming than actual gaming, I don't count it at all.)

Yeah, I do it just for compleinists sake. But I do a fully blind playthrough first before I care about achievements.

Haha I needed about 70k more souls to level up so I went to Anor Londo and equipped all the +EXP gear like Shield of Want, Mimic Head etc.

I killed 6 Silver Knights (15k each) and got... 2 Concord Proofs. Count them: 6 KNIGHTS for 2 PROOFS in 4 MINUTES.

WHAT. THE. HELL.

did you max out the covenant? If so, maybe it's From trolling you. I got a poroof after killing three knights in NG+ lol.

This saga needs to add a permadeath mode for true hardcore players

I'd never beat that ;_; I get wayyyyy to greedy lol.

That's the boss we're talking about...

Hmm can't agree on any of those except TNK and SoC. To me TNK, SoC and L&L are all about equally hard (and by far the hardest bosses of the game).

How do people struggle with Dragonslayer Armour? o_O

Here's my tentative ranking/tiers (hope we're not still spoiler-tagging? I tagged the late-game ones just in case) :
I just find him hard because A) DEMONFIREBALLBLERGHHH and that goddamn shield, screw it! Look at this shit, LOOK AT IT!
29FFE5AE921297EAD2743F20E1397B058452E1D0

I didn't find Abyss Watchers all that hard(so long as I had a quick enough weapon because screw poise). My first playthrough I beat them on my second attempt. I had a lot more trouble with The Champ than I did with Abyss Watchers. But again, this game tends to have a boss be hard for some easy for others, and another boss is easy for some and hard for the others. I find Abyss Watchers easy and Pontiff to be brutal. While others flip that around.

I saw interest on a GAF Fight Club some days ago, so I decided..."Why the hell not try to get running at least one?"

So here I am, trying to get some of you to have some friendly duels and have fun at the same time.

Here are some basic rules I thought off:

- No healing (obviously)

- Buffs allowed

- No dark sword

- No bitching, we probably are a varied group of individuals that are spread around the globe, lag is gonna be a thing, we should try to have fun and just that.

- No tournament, just people dueling each other in some kind of king-of-the-hill thingy: two players fight, winner keeps fighting until he loses, rinse and repeat. We need a host, and he probably wants fun, so he can join if he wants, I think we should rotate hosts so everyone can have some fun regularly.

Place would be after Pointiff bonfire, since it has a nice set up where public can easily watch the matches.

I set up a spreadsheet to list all participants, alongside timezones and PSN ID's and all. Intention is to set it for PS4, but if enough players from other platforms are listed I don't see why not we could have separate events.

Day would be this: Saturday, time would depend of timezone, we should rty to adequate the best possible time of the day for the most people.

Any opinion or suggestion would be welcome.

Quote to see the spreadsheet link:

The only move dragonslayer armor has that fucks me up is his forward charge that hits behind him, can't figure out how to dodge it reliably. I try to stay close so he doesn't do it. Gundyr is hard for similar reasons, don't know when to roll to avoid his charge/spin attack.

Tarkus

I saw interest on a GAF Fight Club some days ago, so I decided..."Why the hell not try to get running at least one?"

So here I am, trying to get some of you to have some friendly duels and have fun at the same time.

- No healing (obviously)

- Buffs allowed

- No dark sword

- No bitching, we probably are a varied group of individuals that are spread around the globe, lag is gonna be a thing, we should try to have fun and just that.

- No tournament, just people dueling each other in some kind of king-of-the-hill thingy: two players fight, winner keeps fighting until he loses, rinse and repeat. We need a host, and he probably wants fun, so he can join if he wants, I think we should rotate hosts so everyone can have some fun regularly.

Place would be after Pointiff bonfire, since it has a nice set up where public can easily watch the matches.

I set up a spreadsheet to list all participants, alongside timezones and PSN ID's and all. Intention is to set it for PS4, but if enough players from other platforms are listed I don't see why not we could have separate events.

Day would be this: Saturday, time would depend of timezone, we should rty to adequate the best possible time of the day for the most people.

I'm in

Can we just do 1 buff?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

- No healing (obviously)

- Buffs allowed

- No dark sword

Hmm, I can give it a shot. What level range are we talking about here?

I'm in

Can we just do 1 buff?
I agree. How about: both players bow, then each have 1 free buff, and then any other buff are at your own risks.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I added my PSN but I have several characters (of varying levels) that I'd probably rotate out occasionally and I'm not sure which one I'd use so... :$

Top Bottom