• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

So guys!

yes2cy2j.png

Now to put my save before NG+ back in and wait for DLC =D

Why? Just make a new character and go through NG with them. I'm gonna go through the DLC in NG++ since mobs scale so shitty now. If it's too hard I'll just summon and beat the bosses with my NG character who's not done yet

Edit: looking for all the +1 rings is such a chore...I still have like 7 rings of +1 to find.

Sarcasm

Why? Just make a new character and go through NG with them. I'm gonna go through the DLC in NG++ since mobs scale so shitty now. If it's too hard I'll just summon and beat the bosses with my NG character who's not done yet

Edit: looking for all the +1 rings is such a chore...I still have like 7 rings of +1 to find.

I really screwed up all quests in and sped past a bunch of items. That is why. I don't mind doing DLC in NG. NG is the one where I actually explored and took time. I guess I could start NG+ over.

I really screwed up all quests in and sped past a bunch of items. That is why. I don't mind doing DLC in NG. NG is the one where I actually explored and took time. I guess I could start NG+ over.

Ah okay that makes sense. Many questlines don't matter unless you want gear or spells though.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck I keep telling myself I'll go to sleep after 1 more duel win or lose and I just keep playing.

Are you me? I went so late yesterday :-(

There's something both frustrating and enjoyable in my Havel's cosplay for PvP. In a so bad is good, kind of way. Lol

I'm tempted to bring it to the fight club.

I saw interest on a GAF Fight Club some days ago, so I decided..."Why the hell not try to get running at least one?"

So here I am, trying to get some of you to have some friendly duels and have fun at the same time.

Here are some basic rules I thought off:

- No healing (obviously)

- Buffs allowed

- No dark sword

- No bitching, we probably are a varied group of individuals that are spread around the globe, lag is gonna be a thing, we should try to have fun and just that.

- No tournament, just people dueling each other in some kind of king-of-the-hill thingy: two players fight, winner keeps fighting until he loses, rinse and repeat. We need a host, and he probably wants fun, so he can join if he wants, I think we should rotate hosts so everyone can have some fun regularly.

Place would be after Pointiff bonfire, since it has a nice set up where public can easily watch the matches.

I set up a spreadsheet to list all participants, alongside timezones and PSN ID's and all. Intention is to set it for PS4, but if enough players from other platforms are listed I don't see why not we could have separate events.

Day would be this: Saturday, time would depend of timezone, we should rty to adequate the best possible time of the day for the most people.

Any opinion or suggestion would be welcome.

Quote to see the spreadsheet link:

Reposting for the new page.

Come and join!

Tarkus

Are you me? I went so late yesterday :-(

There's something both frustrating and enjoyable in my Havel's cosplay for PvP. In a so bad is good, kind of way. Lol

I'm tempted to bring it to the fight club.

Reposting for the new page.

Come and join!
Tears of Denial and Homing Soulmasses should each count as a buff in our "one buff for free, more at your own risk" rule.

Alright done for the night. 146 hours in total.

Alo0oy

Banned
I saw interest on a GAF Fight Club some days ago, so I decided..."Why the hell not try to get running at least one?"

So here I am, trying to get some of you to have some friendly duels and have fun at the same time.

Here are some basic rules I thought off:

- No healing (obviously)

- Buffs allowed

- No dark sword

- No bitching, we probably are a varied group of individuals that are spread around the globe, lag is gonna be a thing, we should try to have fun and just that.

- No tournament, just people dueling each other in some kind of king-of-the-hill thingy: two players fight, winner keeps fighting until he loses, rinse and repeat. We need a host, and he probably wants fun, so he can join if he wants, I think we should rotate hosts so everyone can have some fun regularly.

Place would be after Pointiff bonfire, since it has a nice set up where public can easily watch the matches.

I set up a spreadsheet to list all participants, alongside timezones and PSN ID's and all. Intention is to set it for PS4, but if enough players from other platforms are listed I don't see why not we could have separate events.

Day would be this: Saturday, time would depend of timezone, we should rty to adequate the best possible time of the day for the most people.

Any opinion or suggestion would be welcome.

Quote to see the spreadsheet link:

Is it worldwide or US only?

Tears of Denial and Homing Soulmasses should each count as a buff in our "one buff for free, more at your own risk" rule.

Agreed on tears of denial, not sure about HS, after all is not really a buff, but what should I know, I'm not a pew-pew character. I'll let other people weight in the matter.

Is it worldwide or US only?

WW, lag might appear in some cases, but this is for fun.

Man I absolutely steamrolled D
ragonslayer
with sorceries. Easiest kill by far and this is NG+.

It's funny - every run through the game I've had trouble with a different area. This time on NG+ it's G
rand
A
rchives
. Holy shit that place is rough on my sorcerer. And that Flamberge-wielding
thrall
is a fucking asshole. He holds a strong attack and follows you until you stop rolling. Takes about 50% of my HP every time. Not to mention those
gargoyles
that are resistant to my Immolation Tinder. Every corner I turn there's a new horror. Except it isn't new because this is my third run through the game.

On the bright side, I got invaded and killed the phantom with a Homing Crystal Soulmass + Crystal Soul Spear combo as he ran around a corner. So satisfying.

So guys!

yes2cy2j.png

Now to put my save before NG+ back in and wait for DLC =D

Fine work, skeleton

laxu

If he somehow figures out Siegward's quest all by himself then I'll know he got tipped off cuz there's no way anyone can complete that without a guide.

Only the
well and Patches
require a chance encounter really. Otherwise if you play the game without killing the boss before exploring all areas you should find Siegward every time.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ooohhhh yeah, I know that feeling.

After a loss: "Well I can't end the night on a loss! I'll keep going until I win."

After a win: "That was incredible! I'll do just a couple more, maybe I can get a win streak going."

Next thing I know I'm up until 4 in the morning.
Hahaha fuck are you me?

Or when I invade:
- After losing to a gank, "Nevermind that, just one more real invasion"
- After winning in seconds against a poor schmuck who was by himself and had no idea how to PvP, "Nah that doesn't count, too easy"

Next thing I know the sky is bright outside. ;_;

If he somehow figures out Siegward's quest all by himself then I'll know he got tipped off cuz there's no way anyone can complete that without a guide.
I did....

Question, which enemies are drastically affected by thrust and strike damage?

I'm guessing in general Strikes are good against Skeleton Warriors and Armored Knights, while Thrusting is good against slimy enemies are something?

But what I'm concern about are enemies like the caged undeads who are very vulnerable to thrust.

squidyj

I'm guessing in general Strikes are good against Skeleton Warriors and Armored Knights, while Thrusting is good against slimy enemies are something?

But what I'm concern about are enemies like the caged undeads who are very vulnerable to thrust.

man-grubs hate thrust but that's like... one little area not worth considering. thrust is good against slugs too. thats all i can remember off the top of my head.

I think most of his audience won't spoil the NPC stuff for him. Probably gave him some tips but I think he's still pretty blind to most of them. If he somehow figures out Siegward's quest all by himself then I'll know he got tipped off cuz there's no way anyone can complete that without a guide.
I think Seigwards is one of the easier to do, at least if you're observant and/or lucky - it seems more lenient than some of the others with it's triggers and timing. I got it on my first playthrough - but a couple of the steps were pure dumb luck - The well I totally missed at first only killing the enemy close by tipped me off. Fighting the sorcerer on the roof tipped me off to where the jump was in the Profaned Capital otherwise I doubt I would've seen that either, it just caught my eye at one point.

I think every other NPC questline I messed up on my first run, except Seigward!

Ferr986

Soulmass, weapon buffs, etc... should be free at the start of the match, and then cast it at your own risk mid-fight. They should neither be banned or be free during fight.

Tears I don't know, honestly lol

Oh, and another rule. Prism stones. Lots of Prism stones.

Arjen

I think most of his audience won't spoil the NPC stuff for him. Probably gave him some tips but I think he's still pretty blind to most of them. If he somehow figures out Siegward's quest all by himself then I'll know he got tipped off cuz there's no way anyone can complete that without a guide.

I finished siegward blind, granted I got lucky finding him in the well, I was doing Co OP with a friend in the same area otherwise I wouldn't have come back to that place.

laxu

I think every other NPC questline I messed up on my first run, except Seigward!

Anri is probably the most difficult if you don't go for the wedding option. Even on my second playthrough I went for that simply because it meant getting her items earlier and without having to
fight Aldrich twice

laxu

I'll ask again because I got no answers several pages back:

What are your favorite shields?

I've been mostly rocking Golden Falcon Shield for no other reason than cool looks and Shield of Want for them extra souls but what do you use that actually work for blocking? I really need to learn to do that properly as I mostly just roll dodge everything and only use parry on knights and in PvP.

Mr Git

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck I keep telling myself I'll go to sleep after 1 more duel win or lose and I just keep playing.

Every time.

I'd definitely be up for this, I'll check if I'm working Saturday when I'm in work later, will add to spreadsheet when I know. Looking forward to getting my arse handed to me!

Started doing Aldritch Faithful covenant last night as it's the only one I hadn't bothered with at all. Around SL 120 and getting near constant summons, which is a novelty.

Meccs

Didn't play for a few days and tried a few invasions today. It seems the only people still playing DS3 are set-up gank squads (clear out all the mobs use dried finger and wait with 2 summons and way of the blue equipped). Oh and people that lag so much they don't have any animations. And a ton of timed out invasions (couldn't join)...

Vitten

I've been mostly rocking Golden Falcon Shield for no other reason than cool looks and Shield of Want for them extra souls but what do you use that actually work for blocking? I really need to learn to do that properly as I mostly just roll dodge everything and only use parry on knights and in PvP.

I'm running through NG+ with Havel's Greatshield +5. I should probably stop using it cos it makes things a little too easy and it's turning me into a turtling scrub.

NG I mostly used Shield of Want

Ryder

Can someone help me summon other online players to help defeat a boss? Dont want to summon an npc .

I saw summon signs that looked different to npcs amd had online names. So i tried to summon it but it said was i was unable. Anything that im not doing right?

Sarcasm

Can someone help me summon other online players to help defeat a boss? Dont want to summon an npc .

I saw summon signs that looked different to npcs amd had online names. So i tried to summon it but it said was i was unable. Anything that im not doing right?

You are doing it right. Just got to be quick.

Also some gestures are locked behind summoning NPCs.

Nudull

Banned
Been on a Souls kick since beating Demon's Souls (on a NG+ run now). Kinda debating between picking this up next week or waiting to fix my gaming PC so I can play through Dark Souls 1 and 2 first (have both sitting around on Steam).

Meccs

Could not invaded. Failed to join session. Could not invaded. Failed to join session. Could not invaded. Failed to join session. Could not invaded. Failed to join session.

WTF is going on? (PC)

I'm not a shield guy, but finishing people with Havel's shield is something beautiful.

I have the Shield of Want out most of the time just for the souls, I don't usually have the stats to actually use it properly. Other than that I stick with a target shield for actual parrying.

Anri is probably the most difficult if you don't go for the wedding option. Even on my second playthrough I went for that simply because it meant getting her items earlier and without having to
fight Aldrich twice
fight Aldrich twice?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I have the Shield of Want out most of the time just for the souls, I don't usually have the stats to actually use it properly. Other than that I stick with a target shield for actual parrying.

fight Aldrich twice?
Yes as part of that quest you join their world and need to defeat the boss with them in their world as well as your own.

Yes as part of that quest you join their world and need to defeat the boss with them in their world as well as your own.
WAT. I've never done this! I have to do this on my next run. I guess I've always gone the other way with it. My current run is SL1, so I'll try it next time.

laxu

WAT. I've never done this! I have to do this on my next run. I guess I've always gone the other way with it. My current run is SL1, so I'll try it next time.

Well the turning point for that quest is really easy to miss as there is exactly one hint given by Yuria and it's not really obvious what you need to do.

I do wish the harder path gave you more rewards though so it would be worth doing.

zma1013

Been on a Souls kick since beating Demon's Souls (on a NG+ run now). Kinda debating between picking this up next week or waiting to fix my gaming PC so I can play through Dark Souls 1 and 2 first (have both sitting around on Steam).

You'll get more out of 3 by playing 1 first because 3 heavily references 1. That and 1 is an incredible experience.

Jingo

Ok gaf i need help, only by the final part of the game when i was updating everything before ng+ i discovered the wonderers of pyromancies and sorceries, can someone help me and tell me what are the best magics to use with melee? Im already using the one that puts fire and lightning in the weapon, can someone tell me other good complements?

Tarkus

Soulmass, weapon buffs, etc... should be free at the start of the match, and then cast it at your own risk mid-fight. They should neither be banned or be free during fight.

Tears I don't know, honestly lol

Oh, and another rule. Prism stones. Lots of Prism stones.
Tears is definitely a personal buff. Homing Soulmasses most people cast before the bow to ride around with them - that's a buff that attacks.

And if you don't limit the buffs, some faith build will be casting deep protection, oath of sunlight, and lightning blade or with resin. It's just ridiculous and slows everything down so someone can have every possible advantage they can get. Hell, I don't even buff at all if someone else doesn't.

neoism

Haha I needed about 70k more souls to level up so I went to Anor Londo and equipped all the +EXP gear like Shield of Want, Mimic Head etc.

I killed 6 Silver Knights (15k each) and got... 2 Concord Proofs. Count them: 6 KNIGHTS for 2 PROOFS in 4 MINUTES.

WHAT. THE. HELL.

thats how rng works.. Kappa

the moment your not looking for the item it drops like rain... i just finished darkmoon cov the other day.. FeelsGoodMan

Ferr986

Tears is definitely a personal buff. Homing Soulmasses most people cast before the bow to ride around with them - that's a buff that attacks.

And if you don't limit the buffs, some faith build will be casting deep protection, oath of sunlight, and lightning blade or with resin. It's just ridiculous and slows everything down so someone can have every possible advantage they can get. Hell, I don't even buff at all if someone else doesn't.

Yes, it's true that Homing Soulmass should be casted only when the fight started, so you don't get a cheap shot while bowing.

Dunno what you mean about limiting buffs. I'm ok with oath and protection but weapon buffs shouldn't be limited, it's basically the only way for mages to deal melee damage (infusions are worse on PvP). And they're still punishable, it doesn't mean anyone should wait for the cast. Same with ashen estus, for example.

Yes, it's true that Homing Soulmass should be casted only when the fight started, so you don't get a cheap shot while bowing.

Dunno what you mean about limiting buffs. I'm ok with oath and protection but weapon buffs shouldn't be limited, it's basically the only way for mages to deal melee damage (infusions are worse on PvP). And they're still punishable, it doesn't mean anyone should wait for the cast. Same with ashen estus, for example.

The idea is that, one free buff before starting and then people can buff but at their own risk,during battle.

I think is fair.

If I'm in pvp and I see someone start a buff I rush them, if my build doesn't use one and yours does then that's fair game. That's a risk of the build, you don't get free extra damage from me.

Tarkus

If I'm in pvp and I see someone start a buff I rush them, if my build doesn't use one and yours does then that's fair game. That's a risk of the build, you don't get free extra damage from me.
I allow one buff, then I usually buff my weapon with the crappy magic weapon. If they go for one more, my blade goes for them. I'm aggressive as fuck and can't wait till they get all glowy with superpowers. I prefer no buffs, but if we must, I'll counter with one.

I was resigned to using the Broadsword on my SL1 character, but I noticed Astora's still did better base damage even though I don't have the required 12 faith to use it, plus it has the better stab R2.

2. Upgrade and ascend to Raw
3. ???
4. Profit?

I also noticed way back that they changed the barbed sword's R2 to the same Longsword stab rather than the Broadsword swing, which is great because that was the only downside to one my favourite DS1 weapons.

Soulhouf

I'm in and will be able to join tomorrow evening.
My characters are all below SL 90 and don't want to go higher but I'll try my best.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

The caged enemies in Undead Settlement are highly resistant to non-thrust and very weak to thrust. That's all that really comes to mind though.

I'd suggest wait until your gaming PC is fixed. You're gonna play DS1 and 2 eventually so you'll get more of 3 when you do get around to it.

Unless your PC is getting fixed like, in two years. xD

That's a dick move tbh. Just pop a green blossom, it's not hard.

Top Bottom