• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Toxi

Banned
My "cosplay" characters are like that. In Dark Souls 1 I had a Melisandre pyromancer haha. In DS2 I made Drizzt and Jarlaxle and in DS3 I made Drizzt and Entreri. Entreri's a ruthless asshole invader who gives no fucks about honour. :D

I do "theme" my original characters too. My faith build is an honourable paladin. My dex has some honour, but she's a cunning opportunist. My mage is an old witch who doesn't give a shit.
Nice to see I'm not crazy. :p

After my current Bloodborne playthrough I'm gonna try doing a playthrough of the Dark Souls trilogy with a "single" character, probably an honorable heavily armored knight. No backstabs or betrayal for me!

Needham

I was resigned to using the Broadsword on my SL1 character, but I noticed Astora's still did better base damage even though I don't have the required 12 faith to use it, plus it has the better stab R2.

The faith requirement only seems to matter when hitting large enemies with a lot of armor or something. You'll do less damage and your attack will bounce off. I noticed it on a few enemies like Vordt and the Demon King when I did a level 1 run as well. I just switched between the two when Astora's sword bounced off a boss.

The faith requirement only seems to matter when hitting large enemies with a lot of armor or something. You'll do less damage and your attack will bounce off. I noticed it on a few enemies like Vordt and the Demon King when I did a level 1 run as well. I just switched between the two when Astora's sword bounced off a boss.
That's interesting. I'm about to do Vordt now so that's really helpful.

Soulhouf

If he somehow figures out Siegward's quest all by himself then I'll know he got tipped off cuz there's no way anyone can complete that without a guide.

Sirris and Siegward are the only NPC quests I was able to complete (by accident) in my first (blind) run.

zma1013

I feel like perhaps the illogical progression of that questline around the Cathedral area might be a result of them possibly changing or altering the Cathedral level itself and perhaps forgot to adjust where and when certain NPCs appear.

There are certain mechanisms that seem important in the Cathedral that serve zero purpose which makes me think something was altered from an earlier version of that level and NPCs were never changed to compensate.

Just finished it. Oh man, I think the final boss might be my favorite in the entire series. What a way to end the game.

Overall, this is easily my favorite Dark Souls entry. I'm really excited for the DLC!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How so? If it's a spell you have to cast to get damage on me then it's fair game. Why should I stand around to let you deal more damage to me?
A player probably invested significant stats to get that spell, and if they didn't, the spell buff is going to be weak anyway. If you didn't invest those stats, your build benefits from more HP/stamina, more likely, so you're on even ground as-is.

I am not saying, let the player stack tons of buffs, but if it's intended to be a fair duel, and you rush them while they buff you get an advantage over them. If you let them buff, you can even the odds by using resin (which are just as good in PvP apparently since, allegedly, weapon buffs are nerfed to hell in PvP anyway) or popping a green blossom. So you both fight on fairly even grounds.

Maybe I'm just thinking more in Demon's Souls terms though. The common tourney rules were: allowing casting Second Chance (everyone used it, literally everyone), bow, buff (weapon only, since the body buffs couldn't be cast with SC active), start fight. If your build didn't have a weapon buff you were not allowed to rush, because it meant your build had another thing to use to your advantage, such as HP regen (faith), more HP, etc. so it balanced out.

How did you figure out the
well
part?
I didn't "figure" it out exactly. I did see a message about "friend, armor" the first time and wasn't sure what it was all about.

But, here's what happened to me. I could clearly see another part of the level from above and wondered how to get across (where Patches is but he wasn't there initially). Before going to the boss I explored the cathedral around and couldn't figure out how to cross. I found the elevator to the rafters, but thought it just lead to that archer guy and went back down.

So basically I got confused, ran in circles trying to find the switch, backtracked a lot. Eventually Patches showed up where he wasn't before (I might have gone to Firelink at some point to spend souls, I forgot), but after he lowered the bridge I still had no idea how to cross since I couldn't find the switch. So I re-explored the level from the beginning, and there was Siegward in that well. During that re-exploration I re-checked that elevator leading to that archer, found the ladder to the rafters, found Patches again, bought the armour, found Rosaria etc. and the rest was no problem.

Someonehelppls.jpg
I'm not sure what I'm looking at, but try throwing a prism stone to see if it's a fatal drop or not?

squidyj

Someonehelppls.jpg

I didn't bother with NPC questlines in my blindruns. DaS 2 I think you needed to summon NPCs for their questline to continue, and I don't like summoning and thought it'd be the same in DaS 3

I'm not sure exactly where that is. need more context on the location in Arch

I don't think I'm bringing my Hornet Ring to our PvP party. It's no fun.

Agreed, it's the most anti-fun thing in PvP. Completely encourages parry spamming because you only have to land 1 to win the fight (assuming you're wielding a high damage weapon and your opponent hasn't stacked VIG).

Tarkus

Agreed, it's the most anti-fun thing in PvP. Completely encourages parry spamming because you only have to land 1 to win the fight (assuming you're wielding a high damage weapon and your opponent hasn't stacked VIG).
Exactly. I find myself trying to parry way too often with it. It's a terrible crutch.

Parry spamming is the best way to get you killed.

I sometimes gets to focused on getting the parry, but otherwise is an excellent counter to fast weapons.

pixxxelz

I know its been said a million times now but the drop rate of proof of concord kept is just god awful, I farmed those freaking silver knights for like an hour last night and I only got four of them, i don't know if I'm gonna have the patience to farm for the other 21 I need..

zma1013

Kick and parry spammers will have a bad day. Although the kick in this game seems a bit more difficult to do reliably.

Ferr986

Every time I get summoned to the Dancer and I see the sky orangeish (be NG or NG+) I know the host will die fast. And every fucking time it does.

And Nameless King down on NG+. What a son of a bitch. Took me 10 tries:

- died 6 times to first phase, sometimes in under one minute. Sometimes I had to drink 3 Estus before I even damaged him. FUCK THAT FIRE AOE ATTACK. I never dodged/ outran it.
- died 4 times to second phase

The 2nd phase is very manageable with Dragonslayer Shield but because it happens right after the 1st phase where I used 90% of my Estus and because I fucking hate the 1st phase- because all of that I was making super easy mistakes most of the time.

Still it took me 15 Estus + 1 Ember in the 2nd phase + 1 Divine Blessing to finally put that boss down. No buffs. And I managed to stagger him! Crit for 1500 damage. EAT THAT, BITCH.

I was wearing:

- Brass Armor
- Holy Knight Helm
- Gauntlets of Favor
- Undead Legion Leggins
- Giant Club +10
- Dragonslayer Shield +5
- Havel's Ring +1
- FAP Ring +1
- Steel Protection Ring +1
- Chloranty Ring +1

69.7% Equipment Load

Hardest boss in the game, easily, especially 1st phase which is 99% RNG/ luck. I dread to fight him again in NG++ for the Plat. Yuck.

-----------------------

Uhh... what do I level up now that I have 50 STR, 40 VIT, 40 VGR, 40 END?

I don't need DEX/ INT/ FTH.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Only 8 proofs left. Then I can finally be free. I've been farming during free time all week.

By comparison I farmed the dregs, sword grass, and pale tongues in one 8 hour session.

Used a guide obviously, lol.

Is a pain in the ass, just the fact of haing to get all of them in 3 runs, not gonna make it even more hard.

So far with the exception of three rings I found most of the +1 rings(still need three more). 1 I found out about from a video "things you didn't know about dark souls" I thought it was only gonna talk about NG...and the other two I found out about when searching up if there was a +1 version(why run around for no reason?). But the others I found through combing and listening to music lol

Manu

- died 6 times to first phase, sometimes in under one minute. Sometimes I had to drink 3 Estus before I even damaged him. FUCK THAT FIRE AOE ATTACK. I never dodged/ outran it.

The tell for the fire AOE attack is the way he stands upright and turns to face you before flying up. Once you realize that, you have a loooot of time to outrun the fire before it even starts.

Lux R7

A player probably invested significant stats to get that spell, and if they didn't, the spell buff is going to be weak anyway. If you didn't invest those stats, your build benefits from more HP/stamina, more likely, so you're on even ground as-is.

I am not saying, let the player stack tons of buffs, but if it's intended to be a fair duel, and you rush them while they buff you get an advantage over them. If you let them buff, you can even the odds by using resin (which are just as good in PvP apparently since, allegedly, weapon buffs are nerfed to hell in PvP anyway) or popping a green blossom. So you both fight on fairly even grounds.

Maybe I'm just thinking more in Demon's Souls terms though. The common tourney rules were: allowing casting Second Chance (everyone used it, literally everyone), bow, buff (weapon only, since the body buffs couldn't be cast with SC active), start fight. If your build didn't have a weapon buff you were not allowed to rush, because it meant your build had another thing to use to your advantage, such as HP regen (faith), more HP, etc. so it balanced out.

I didn't "figure" it out exactly. I did see a message about "friend, armor" the first time and wasn't sure what it was all about.

But, here's what happened to me. I could clearly see another part of the level from above and wondered how to get across (where Patches is but he wasn't there initially). Before going to the boss I explored the cathedral around and couldn't figure out how to cross. I found the elevator to the rafters, but thought it just lead to that archer guy and went back down.

So basically I got confused, ran in circles trying to find the switch, backtracked a lot. Eventually Patches showed up where he wasn't before (I might have gone to Firelink at some point to spend souls, I forgot), but after he lowered the bridge I still had no idea how to cross since I couldn't find the switch. So I re-explored the level from the beginning, and there was Siegward in that well. During that re-exploration I re-checked that elevator leading to that archer, found the ladder to the rafters, found Patches again, bought the armour, found Rosaria etc. and the rest was no problem.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at, but try throwing a prism stone to see if it's a fatal drop or not?

got it, it's so difficult to find without some message or hint!

So I used a guide to find the last three +1 rings I needed. I'm ashamed of myself for missing em multiple times! One was in plan sight, goddamn I suck ;(

As long as you don't stand under the dragon it will never do the fire AoE. It's like a 'get the fuck off me' tactic. Stay in front or to the side of it's face.

Nameless King was the hardest boss for me on my first run, but since then I've never had a problem with him, he's a very DS2-type humanoid boss. I was nice and leveled up accordingly on NG+ and NG++ though. I'm sure SL1 is going to be a whole lot of fun, if I even make that far! (Doubful, I'm shitting myself over Sulyvan).

So you crazy mofos that got all the rings. Did you muddle through every area and comb through every pixel or did you use a guide?
loooool, of course used a guide, I even wrote a quick list so I could cross them off.

Kay so I feel a bit better using a guide(and quite a bit better finding all but four of the +1s without a guide :p). I'ma just guide for +2, it was so annoying coming everywhere for the +1s.

anyways, so I decided to face off against TNK before NG++. Screw him.
I beat his first phase with 11 Estus elft, figured I got this. Hit him a few times got him down maybe 20% of health. He tries to attack me, and I roll. So then charges, I roll away to dodge but he hits me again(SUPER long charge mind you). So I figure I bait him to do an attack, instead super quick charge(I have like 1% HP now...then he charges AGAIN and I die...fuck him

That bastard is down! Took two attempts lol(I co-oped a few times to learn him the best I could).

pixxxelz

loooool, of course used a guide, I even wrote a quick list so I could cross them off.

This dude from fextralife (johnladuk) made a spreadsheet with all the pyromancies, rings, miracles, etc. He even added a quick guide of how to get them, super useful if you're going for the platinum since you can just mark something if you already have it, anyways this is the link in case anybody needs it: https://goo.gl/g9yEIg

It's impossible to get those rings w/o a guide. I mean Calamity Ring? Come on, son.

Plus those quest ring from Sirris.

By that point it's already been established that the Way of the Dragon gesture can be used to unlock secrets. It's not unreasonable to assume your average player will try that in many significant areas afterward, especially in Archdragon Peak.

Getting to Archdragon Peak, though...

Dafuq is wrong with NA servers?

Maintenance. It started at like 9ish, there was a pop-up altering about it when I was co-oping lol

You can't tell much about the area from the picture. But if someone wants me to spoiler tag it I will.

7A40AF14B8FEDAD3BE6D981BA9B0C70341ECBB10
Just realized I'm about an hour late and the maintenance is done, but just a heads up anyways :p

Hollycat

A dark souls that invaded a host I was cooperating with just one shot me and another guy with a spell each. He was on the roof of a building in the lothric walls area and we were down in the courtyard where that fat guy is. He was invisible, which I assume was from that one ring but from all the way up there he was able to lock on and kill both of us. I was only wearing dancer/sunless armor, but the other guy was in full havel. I tried to dodge but honestly might have just been too slow.
Anyways, my question is is there a magic like that that can pierce through both of those armors for a one shot, or have people somehow been hacking on ps4?

In case it matters, my mag resist is 20.8 and up is 1338
I don't use magic so forgive me if this is something I should be aware of

Top Bottom