• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A dark souls that invaded a host I was cooperating with just one shot me and another guy with a spell each. He was on the roof of a building in the lothric walls area and we were down in the courtyard where that fat guy is. He was invisible, which I assume was from that one ring but from all the way up there he was able to lock on and kill both of us. I was only wearing dancer/sunless armor, but the other guy was in full havel. I tried to dodge but honestly might have just been too slow.
Anyways, my question is is there a magic like that that can pierce through both of those armors for a one shot, or have people somehow been hacking on ps4?

In case it matters, my mag resist is 20.8 and up is 1338
I don't use magic so forgive me if this is something I should be aware of
Crystal Soul Spear can certainly OHKO with the right setup. How high was your VIG/HP?

Meccs

So hitting Alt+F4 shortly after being defeated seems to be the new thing in Dark Souls 3? Or is this a bug? I get the reward but then "connection error" pops up. Also I can not find any invasions, it's always just searching. It's not on my end, I just played a few rounds of Battlefront and all was well.

Just finished it. Oh man, I think the final boss might be my favorite in the entire series. What a way to end the game.

Overall, this is easily my favorite Dark Souls entry. I'm really excited for the DLC!

Really? :p
I thought it was pretty underwhelming compared to bb, he gave me a scifi souls vibe and I didn't like that.

I can drop rings for people on PC or ps4 if required. Just let me know via PM, adding me on steam or ps4 (same name as my gaf name( or post here.

Guys, asking once again:

what to level up after having 50 STR, 40 VIG/VIT/END?

I do not need DEX/INT/FTH.

Is STR worth going up to 60? Or better to have more Stamina/ Health. I am playing pure PvE only and I do not want to have any troubles with bosses in NG++.

Guys, asking once again:

Is STR worth going up to 60? Or better to have more Stamina/ Health. I am playing pure PvE only and I do not want to have any troubles with bosses in NG++.
Vigor definitely, as well as Endurance. Vit isn't really necessary though it's nice to have 15.

Unless you're saying you already 40'd your Vig/Vit/End, then I'd say that Dex is the most sensible stat to raise next, since multiple stats for scaling is usually stronger.

Meccs

Since no one replies I'm asking directly: Has anyone else playing on the PC noticed a significant drop in player base? If you don't play late in the afternoon it's almost impossible to get some invasions going. It just takes forever to find someone or you keep invading the same dried finger gank squad over and over.

SDR-UK

Guys, asking once again:

You're pretty decked out already. You should not have issues with NG++ with those stats. If you must though, level stamina and health over strength. The benefits are miniscule either way.

I'm finally the Lord of the Rings. I think that was the hardest DS trophy so far.
Well, maybe not, I just remembered that perfect bladestone thing and the World Tendency was a royal pain too.

Soulhouf

Really? :p
I thought it was pretty underwhelming compared to bb, he gave me a scifi souls vibe and I didn't like that.

My impression after having finished these games dozens of times:

Dark Souls 3 = best Dark Souls game
Demon's Souls = best Souls game
Bloodborne = best From Soft game

Since no one replies I'm asking directly: Has anyone else playing on the PC noticed a significant drop in player base? If you don't play late in the afternoon it's almost impossible to get some invasions going. It just takes forever to find someone or you keep invading the same dried finger gank squad over and over.

I've had zero trouble getting invasions or summon signs with my SL120 character.

Reports of the PC playerbase and rampant hacking makes me wonder if I'm ever even going to touch it. Have they actually stopped soft banning people for getting invaded by the wrong players?

zma1013

If I had to guess, it may be that the playerbase is migrating to the PVP hotspots. Any new playthroughs people may do will be them running through areas quickly, thus making it more difficult to actually invade anyone at all. That or people will remain purposely unkindled to avoid invasions.

Thus meaning the only people you will invade are those wanting you to invade them. Also, I think each session you log on may favor certain specific servers so you may end up connecting with the same people over and over during that play session.

I feel that some days ago PvP zone was even more populated in PC than PS4. Anecdotal evidence and all, but PC population feels right.

That said, considering that probably most players are PvPers, PvE online might feel lacking, after most people.interested in the game must have finished it by now it.

Manu

My impression after having finished these games dozens of times:

Dark Souls 3 = best Dark Souls game
Demon's Souls = best Souls game
Bloodborne = best From Soft game

I swear I haven't seen this "Bloodborne is clearly the best" mentality anywhere other than GAF.

I believe it's because of GAF having a big Souls following + Sony bias (it's definitely a thing in NeoGAF) = Bloodborne best Souls game.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It's over...i-it's finally over...

30 proofs earned, 30 redeemed.

FREEDOM!

TW8Rtjq.png

I swear I haven't seen this "Bloodborne is clearly the best" mentality anywhere other than GAF.

I believe it's because of GAF having a big Souls following + Sony bias (it's definitely a thing in NeoGAF) = Bloodborne best Souls game.

I'd say that BB can be your favorite souls game easily if you base it on combat.

The combat in BB truncates every other souls game, but clearly it also has several shortcomings, specially regarding PvP, chalice dungeons, etc... So is normal that for a lot of people combat is not enough.

For me BB is up there with DS3 as the best souls game.

Can confirm seeing it elsewhere. Can also confirm sharing the sentiment myself.

Playing DS3 as a loveletter to Dark Souls proper really made me appreciate what a natural evolution Bloodborne is for the series.

Meccs

If I had to guess, it may be that the playerbase is migrating to the PVP hotspots. Any new playthroughs people may do will be them running through areas quickly, thus making it more difficult to actually invade anyone at all. That or people will remain purposely unkindled to avoid invasions.

Makes sense. Would explain while there seems to be an increase in gank squads too.

I also have too many "couldn't join session" messages which is weird since I didn't change anything on my hard or software.

Ferr986

Nah, I've seen it on other sites other than Neogaf.

For me DS1 is first , if only for the level design, but I like BB more than DS2 and 3, even if I miss magic builds.

And I have no Sony bias. Hell I had a 360 only last gen.

So, I have checked timezones and well we are far away lol.

I used GMT (which is basically UTC) as a neutral point and I thought that the best time is: Saturday 21:00 GMT (9:00 pm)

That's 16:00 EST (4:00 pm) and 14:00 PDT (2:00 pm)

Take care about your summer times and all, here's a cool site to compare timezones and hours:

http://time.is/compare

That dosn't mean we'll start exactly at that hour, but rather a time to put in common so we'll know more or less when to start.

I'll probably will be online before that, so don't take it a set in stone. If you prefer other hours and can get into agreement that's perfect I have free all day tomorrow.

Rules:

- No healing (obviously)

- Buffs allowed

- No dark sword

- No bitching, we probably are a varied group of individuals that are spread around the globe, lag is gonna be a thing, we should try to have fun and just that.

- No tournament, just people dueling each other in some kind of king-of-the-hill thingy: two players fight, winner keeps fighting until he loses, rinse and repeat. We need a host, and he probably wants fun, so he can join if he wants, I think we should rotate hosts so everyone can have some fun regularly.

- First buff is free, both players can buff once before attacking each other, any other buff will have to happen midfight.

I think this is a good compromise and IIRC is something we mostly agreed.

I already set the password on the spreadsheet, is obviously DS2SUCKS

Is not obviously that just kidding lol

If you still wanna join here's the spreadsheet link.

Quote to see it

I'll add people tomorrow, and I'll be the first host if that's fine to you guys. We'll talk the little details later, I have to go now lol.

See ya and get some training today lol.

Meccs

Who the f*** plays this game with three other summons? How bad do you have to be? Really bad apparently, the last thing I saw after getting ganked by them were two people getting blasted off the roof by the Aldrich archers. lol

Soulhouf

Bloodborne IS NOT a Souls game.

Faster gameplay & co don't mean shit to me. It's all about the design, the world, the atmosphere and the consistency. That's mainly why I love Bloodborne so much.

Sorry, Saturday is a bad timing for me. I'll be available tonight i.a. 4 hours from now. Otherwise next week.

Who the f*** plays this game with three other summons? How bad do you have to be? Really bad apparently, the last thing I saw after getting ganked by them were two people getting blasted off the roof by the Aldrich archers. lol

Post-Pontiff Irithyll is sort of built around co-op, really. Hard to hold it against them when they can and will be invaded by several Faithful and a red here and there.

Manu

Post-Pontiff Irithyll is sort of built around co-op, really. Hard to hold it against them when they can and will be invaded by several Faithful and a red here and there.

Just don't be embered? On NG+ I didn't pop an ember until I reached Anor Londo for that exact reason.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just don't be embered? On NG+ I didn't pop an ember until I reached Anor Londo for that exact reason.
Don't you get auto-embered after killing a boss? Though I haven't killed a boss while being non-embered in a long time so I could be mistaken, but I'm 90% sure killing a boss revives you, Demon's Souls style.

That said yeah I do shake my head at people with 3 phantoms. Sure, the game lets you do that, but Jesus...

Meccs

What? Nothing in this game is build around coop! Even one summon pretty much trivializes the game.

Tarkus

I used GMT (which is basically UTC) as a neutral point and I thought that the best time is: Saturday 21:00 GMT (9:00 pm)

I should be available at that time.

Manu

Don't you get auto-embered after killing a boss? Though I haven't killed a boss while being non-embered in a long time so I could be mistaken, but I'm 90% sure killing a boss revives you, Demon's Souls style.

Yes, but sometimes jumping of a cliff is worth not having to deal with invaders ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm going to restart this challenge run with updated rules that are more forgiving. Not realizing that D
eacons
resist magic really ruined the character because I'm stick with Crystal Infusion on the only Rapier in the entire game and there's no way to get Purging stones in this challenge.

Ferr986

What lol I always assume something is wrong with those peoples head to be honest.

Man its just a videogame. Who cares if people suicide cause they dont even want to do pvp.

I think I'll be able to join!

Ferr986

Yeah I don't get it.

Manu are you this guy?

Some people really don't like PvP, so suiciding saves them the 5 mins of PvP'ing another guy (especially in this game where invasions takes longer when it turns to be a chasing game more than a fight). No reason to bother doing something that you don't enjoy.

I know a guy who sometimes suicided when invaded. He loves the PvE but absolutely hates PvP. I don't think there's any problem with that (and yeah, he's a sane person lol)

The Host's advantage of embered health and full estus can't be overstated. There's also seeds if you want to make that area more interesting for the invader.

Robot Pants

The Host's advantage of embered health and full estus can't be overstated. There's also seeds if you want to make that area more interesting for the invader.

It's ridiculous.
Double health AND double estus. That's why I stock up on hunter charms because that constant rolling away after two hits and healing gets waaaayyyy too annoying.

Tarkus

It's ridiculous.
Double health AND double estus. That's why I stock up on hunter charms because that constant rolling away after two hits and healing gets waaaayyyy too annoying.
I agree. The health penalty was a terrible idea, especially given that squads seem to have more priority, which might also reflect the lack of embering in people playing solo. DS2 did it best here, in that you could be invaded while not being human.

Meccs

How fast people can run when all their summons are dead. Also the thing where you stand with the back to your approaching invader and then completely mess up the surprise attack and get stabbed in the back. :D

Top Bottom