• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

FFMafia

I feel like I cheated couldn't figure out how to beat the second lord cinder first time I had to look up what you actually had to do for the first time 😞. How was I supposed
To know

Tarkus

How fast people can run when all their summons are dead. Also the thing where you stand with the back to your approaching invader and then completely mess up the surprise attack and get stabbed in the back. :D
People have been watching too many YT videos. I imagine they're looking at you with the camera with their back turned and expect to quickly lock on, turn around, and parry your attack with their large weapon and Hornet Ring when you get close. I've seen this a few times as well.

Meccs

I feel invading is like a glimpse into the soul of the Host. Not all of course but the stupid sh*t people do... man oh man.

So, I have checked timezones and well we are far away lol.

I used GMT (which is basically UTC) as a neutral point and I thought that the best time is: Saturday 21:00 GMT (9:00 pm)

That's 16:00 EST (4:00 pm) and 14:00 PDT (2:00 pm)

Take care about your summer times and all, here's a cool site to compare timezones and hours:

http://time.is/compare

That dosn't mean we'll start exactly at that hour, but rather a time to put in common so we'll know more or less when to start.

I'll probably will be online before that, so don't take it a set in stone. If you prefer other hours and can get into agreement that's perfect I have free all day tomorrow.

Rules:

- No healing (obviously)

- Buffs allowed

- No dark sword

- No bitching, we probably are a varied group of individuals that are spread around the globe, lag is gonna be a thing, we should try to have fun and just that.

- No tournament, just people dueling each other in some kind of king-of-the-hill thingy: two players fight, winner keeps fighting until he loses, rinse and repeat. We need a host, and he probably wants fun, so he can join if he wants, I think we should rotate hosts so everyone can have some fun regularly.

- First buff is free, both players can buff once before attacking each other, any other buff will have to happen midfight.

I think this is a good compromise and IIRC is something we mostly agreed.

I already set the password on the spreadsheet, is obviously DS2SUCKS

Is not obviously that just kidding lol

If you still wanna join here's the spreadsheet link.

Quote to see it

I'll add people tomorrow, and I'll be the first host if that's fine to you guys. We'll talk the little details later, I have to go now lol.

See ya and get some training today lol.
I added myself. So 4 pm EST tomorrow? Just quickly looking at the times, but its a 3 hour differences between EST and PST.

Because there are other reasons to play online besides forced PvP.

True...he needs to see the message "butthole! Therefore, use tongue..." :p

It may be a tad sadistic, but seeing people complain about how much of a grind it is to get Proofs brings a smile to my face. Mainly because I finished long ago and that satisfaction hasn't worn off yet.

Tarkus

True...he needs to see the message "butthole! Therefore, use tongue..." :p

It may be a tad sadistic, but seeing people complain about how much of a grind it is to get Proofs brings a smile to my face. Mainly because I finished long ago and that satisfaction hasn't worn off yet.
People are proud of it too. I see a lot of Darkmoon Blade buffs.

The drop rates is unbelievable. I have Crystal Sage Rapier, Symbol of Avarice, and Covetous Gold Serpent Rings all equipped and am using Rusted Coins and haven't had a single one drop in the past hour

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Nothing substantial to say other than Souls is still the series that most consistently has me saying out loud "Man, that's fuckin cool." The lore, the PvP interactions, the areas and enemies themselves. Having just finished Dark Souls 3, and just come off Bloodborne, FROM Soft seems to have exclusive ownership over "the coolest shit" and they shove it into every inch of their games.

Meccs

Does anyone have numbers how much more effective a Luck build is for bleed? I feel like with no points in Luck and Rouge + Carthus Sword I already do nasty damage and the bleed procs relatively quickly. I did run a bleed build for awhile but never felt it is that much more effective if you use Rouge. If you don't want to use Rouge then you need Luck of course.

Artdayne

The drop rates is unbelievable. I have Crystal Sage Rapier, Symbol of Avarice, and Covetous Gold Serpent Rings all equipped and am using Rusted Coins and haven't had a single one drop in the past hour

Yeah, that's by far the most difficult way to get Proof of Concord Kept, I'm not sure why people insist on doing it that way. I just PVP'd and was able to get enough for Darkmoon Blade in a couple hours.

explodet

Yeah, that's by far the most difficult way to get Proof of Concord Kept, I'm not sure why people insist on doing it that way. I just PVP'd and was able to get enough for Darkmoon Blade in a couple hours.
You got summoned?
What's your secret?

Soul Levels, Weapon Levels, Areas? I WANT ANSWERS

Is there a place to easily get summoned? I've been embered and have the Blue Sentinels Covenant item equipped for the past 2 hours and haven't gotten a single summon

Soulhouf

I'm wondering how level sync works in this game because I've been invading the first 2 areas with my lv12 character (I'm still pretty early in the game) and I encountered multiple times people with their friends who are using Havel Shield and other late game weapons that require high stats investment.
Havel shield is impenetrable at my level so I guess since they are using it so effectively, it means that even with the sync they still have their high stats.

Arjen

Just get summoned he said, the change of me getting summoned was lower than the change of me becoming president of the United States.

Alo0oy

Banned

You get 3 free concords per playthrough, it'd faster to play through NG+10 than it is to wait to get summoned.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm wondering how level sync works in this game because I've been invading the first 2 areas with my lv12 character (I'm still pretty early in the game) and I encountered multiple times people with their friends who are using Havel Shield and other late game weapons that require high stats investment.
Havel shield is impenetrable at my level so I guess since they are using it so effectively, it means that even with the sync they still have their high stats.
Yeah, they're likely using a password. So those phantoms are nerfed to the host's level in terms of health and damage output, but not in terms of stats (in that it'd put them below the stat requirements for their gear).

That said I do wonder about the hosts 'cause I'm sure I saw hosts using end-game gear with hefty stat requirements too. o_O

Not all of us are so lucky to get summoned. I got summoned like four times in over 10 hours. The 30 proofs took like 4 or 5.

It's that bad. I kind of am in disbelief that the rate is so low. I had heard horror stories about Proofs before but good god

Morrigan has been trying to be a voice of reason in this thread. Everytime someone talks about how bad proof farming is, Morrigan is there to tell them to just stahp farming if it's so bad. no one listens :p.

No way. Is it really that bad? Please, tell me more of these farming woes!

Snarky ;)

Try equipping the Golden Falcon Shield. It helped me get one within 16minutes instead of one every 45 minutes.

Edit: NO ONE SAW THAT FAIL!

It's weird because when I invade I encounter Blues every other invasion, sometimes twice. Obviously someone is getting summoned yet no one is getting summoned.

They needed to just cut out the middleman and combine Way of Blue and Blue Sentinels into one covenant. Make it the quid pro quo covenant.

Boss spoiler (D
ancer
):

HdlbaZ9.gif

Dem hitboxes.

Tarkus

I wish the game would give you 2 more slabs at least per playthrough. I had another weapon I really wanted maxed out. I love too many weapons.

I'd love to take them, but you can't drop upgrade materials.

3 Proofs in 25 minutes just goofing around. Golden Eagle Falcon Shield is real!

I've had that Shield equipped for the past hour and I've gotten 2 drops. Idk I'm pretty sure it's either placebo or there is more than one thing that makes that Shield work. Like maybe you have to have a certain stat at a certain level or something

Artdayne

You got summoned?
What's your secret?

Soul Levels, Weapon Levels, Areas? I WANT ANSWERS

So, I tried it the way that everyone does by equipping several items that increase your luck and going to Anor Londo and killing silver knights, I did that for like 2 hours and I think I received two Concords for that. I also had the item on that makes you eligible to be summoned and for whatever reason I was hardly ever summoned at Anor Londo.

So what I did was went to Grand Archives and ArchDragon Peak and I was getting summoned constantly. My soul level was around 110 I think, I don't recall my weapon levels, don't think that mattered at all.

Mistel

Banned
I've had that Shield equipped for the past hour and I've gotten 2 drops. Idk I'm pretty sure it's either placebo or there is more than one thing that makes that Shield work. Like maybe you have to have a certain stat at a certain level or something
I believe it is a placebo as it's unlikely to be that complex to work and it's a based on a item description which is rather vague and correlating just "good fortune" to item discovery.

laxu

I actually played a lot of my second character thru with that shield equipped and didn't notice that the drop rate for anything was out of the ordinary really.

The only way I even got 10 proofs was just getting summoned randomly. Farmed about 8 wolf swordgrass because the summons are few. Vertebra shackles are probably the worst unless you are good at PvP and participate in fight clubs instead of gank spanks.

I believe it is a placebo as it's unlikely to be that complex to work and it's a based on a item description which is rather vague and correlating just "good fortune" to item discovery.

But...45 minutes to 16minutes on the dot D:. Plus like three others had it work for em :p. Maybe the Majestic Golden Falcon is picky

Late Flag

Started NG++ last night, and I died to W
olnir
about half a dozen times before finally getting by him. He seems to hit with that dark cloud a lot more cheaply now than he was doing before, or maybe I just got unlucky.

Anyway, before I started this run, I respeced from a pyromancer to a strength build. I'm now maining the dragonslayers greataxe, and goddamn is this a fun change of pace. As terrible as I am at PvP, I'm suddenly now beating most invaders without too much trouble just because of how hard this thing hits. I'll have to figure out something before I get to NK, since I know he's strong against lightning. Butcher knife?

Soulhouf

Yeah, they're likely using a password. So those phantoms are nerfed to the host's level in terms of health and damage output, but not in terms of stats (in that it'd put them below the stat requirements for their gear).

That said I do wonder about the hosts 'cause I'm sure I saw hosts using end-game gear with hefty stat requirements too. o_O

This is becoming a thing where 80% of players I invade right now as lv12 in the first areas have end game gear. It's really annoying.
From Soft should disable weapons trading like they did in Bloodborne.

RiggyRob

Just dropping by to say that we're excited to start our offline, blind (as much as possible) playthrough, and we're also making it into a Let's Play series in case anyone's interested in watching it. I'll be posting our thoughts every now and then, but otherwise I'll be skipping around the thread since I know a lot of you will have finished the game many times over at this point!

I also wanted to ask - how good/strong is a Dex build in this game? It looks like it plays similar to Bloodborne, and I want fast staggering strikes rather than wait and hit counter-strikes.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This is becoming a thing where 80% of players I invade right now as lv12 in the first areas have end game gear. It's really annoying.
From Soft should disable weapons trading like they did in Bloodborne.
It's annoying but I don't know if it'd be a solution. When making specific builds it's fun to play with your targeted weapon for most of the game and some of those are really late-game.

At least they can't trade +10 weapons (or you'd be locked out of matchmaking anyway) or upgrade materials.

I also wanted to ask - how good/strong is a Dex build in this game? It looks like it plays similar to Bloodborne, and I want fast staggering strikes rather than wait and hit counter-strikes.
Very good. Katanas, curved swords and rapiers are all excellent weapons and longbows are also incredibly useful.

It's annoying but I don't know if it'd be a solution. When making specific builds it's fun to play with your targeted weapon for most of the game and some of those are really late-game.

At least they can't trade +10 weapons (or you'd be locked out of matchmaking anyway) or upgrade materials.

Very good. Katanas, curved swords and rapiers are all excellent weapons and longbows are also incredibly useful.

Hmmm...I'm curious. If a persons highest weapon is a +2 and you drop them a +4 weapon, can you now drop them a +6 weapon since they have a +4 weapon?

Mistel

Banned
But...45 minutes to 16minutes on the dot D:. Plus like three others had it work for em :p. Maybe the Majestic Golden Falcon is picky
~ 5 people don't make a data set if it was 100 to 200 I'd take your word for it but considering it stems just from a post within the thread with no traction outside of the thread plus the RNG and all seems rather hopeful instead of something concrete.
Hmmm...I'm curious. If a persons highest weapon is a +2 and you drop them a +4 weapon, can you now drop them a +6 weapon since they have a +4 weapon?
It should do don't see what would stop it.

So if someone else drops their ring and lets me pick it up briefly, only to return it will that count for the trophy? If so hopefully i can find someone to help me do that for the Wolf and Obscuring ring, and i can skip doing the covenant stuff as i'm just really not enjoying it and their a bit tedious to farm and can focus going through NG+ and NG++ to get the +1's and 2's, and the few spells and gestures i'm missing.

~ 5 people don't make a data set if it was 100 to 200 I'd take your word for it but considering it stems just from a post within the thread with no traction outside of the thread plus the RNG and all seems rather hopeful instead of something concrete.

It should do don't see what would stop it.

I know 5 isn't a large enough sample size. I'm just hoping more people try it, the more people try it the better. Like I said when I originally suggested it, it could be very anecdotal, but I hope it actually has influence.

Hehe I might make a super OP early game build

Top Bottom