• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

squidyj

Damn I didn't realize so few of you played on PC.

I managed to get a couple fights against someone named Avocado. I was the guy using sorceries and the Immolation Tinder.
I just sort of stood there and ate a spear :( It shouldn't have happened.

Yay, got master of expressions.

Really wish i hadn't over-leveled this character though, don't know why i thought the meta was stopping at 150. Is that what we did in Dark Souls 2? Maybe that's why i was thinking that. Suppose i'll just keep leveling for fun and start a second character if i feel the need.

Damn I didn't realize so few of you played on PC.

I managed to get a couple fights against someone named Avocado. I was the guy using sorceries and the Immolation Tinder.

Not sure if I met you yet, but I've been playing regularly at Pontiff's trying out different weapons. Steam ID is earvcunanan.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hello... I am looking for a swird that scales with luck... Can somebody tell me its name and/or where to find it?
Anri's Straight Sword. To get it as early as possible you have to
kill Anri. They are first met in the Road of Sacrifices. Watch out for Horace. You can lure him away from Anri and fight him, then you talk to Anri and they'll let themselves be killed.

You can also make any weapon hollow-infused with a hollow gem, but both the gem and the coal that lets you do that are quite late in the game.

Late Flag

Holy shit! NG++ is actually hard...
NG+ felt like NG but .01x harder...NG++ feels like NGx10. ;_;

Yeah, I found that the difficulty increased noticeably between NG+ and NG++. All of the sudden, my +10 weapon wasn't murdering folks like it was earlier. There's a clear step up with regards to bosses as well -- I've been summoning pretty freely after beating the game the first time, and some of my phantoms die very quickly.

Matt Frost

Anri's Straight Sword. To get it as early as possible you have to
kill Anri. They are first met in the Road of Sacrifices. Watch out for Horace. You can lure him away from Anri and fight him, then you talk to Anri and they'll let themselves be killed.

You can also make any weapon hollow-infused with a hollow gem, but both the gem and the coal that lets you do that are quite late in the game.

Thanks for the tip! One more question, how far is it from the huge damned tree boss?

Late Flag

Got the plat earlier today. What a fantastic game. This is clearly my GOTY so far. I'm not sure where I'd put it in the series. It's definitely better than DS2 and probably better than DS1 except for world design. It's hard to compare to DeS and Bloodborne, but certainly in that tier.

Having finished the trophies, I went to Pontiff's and put down some summon signs / summoned dark spirits. Why the HELL didn't I do this earlier, when I was farming for vertebrae? For whatever reason, I'm encountering all kinds of people who are terrible at PVP compared to me -- and I'm terrible -- and it's fun as hell to actually get straight-up one-on-one fights as opposed to ganks.

They should let you respec infinitely after you've gotten the plat. I want to try out new builds and stick with this for a bit, but for now I'm limited to my current character. Oh well. It's an awesome game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So uh... is the Players Met feature completely useless or what? Is it just broken with DS3 or every game? It doesn't show me the recent players at all and the timestamps are all wrong.

Edit: to be concrete, it is currently showing me the names of the players from the Fight Club from over 2 hours ago and saying we met a few minutes ago...

Tarkus

So uh... is the Players Met feature completely useless or what? Is it just broken with DS3 or every game? It doesn't show me the recent players at all and the timestamps are all wrong.

Edit: to be concrete, it is currently showing me the names of the players from the Fight Club from over 2 hours ago and saying we met a few minutes ago...
It doesn't work well on PS4 at all. I noticed it with DS2 and BB as well.

It's pretty bad. Someone sent me some hate mail because they thought I was the one that invaded them with end game gear. Yet, while I did have end level gear I was cooping instead for the first boss. He was most likely one of the people I helped.

I still don't know which part of that long-ass animation is the parriable one...

As soon as the he/she puts the dagger in the ground and starts sliding.

https://youtu.be/vjTFSXgxhuQ?t=97

Is weird since distance and dead angles makes the parry a bit unpredictable. The second swing is easier, because is just parrying just after the first one finishes, but they shouldn't use the second move unless they got a hit on the first one.

Yeah, I found that the difficulty increased noticeably between NG+ and NG++. All of the sudden, my +10 weapon wasn't murdering folks like it was earlier. There's a clear step up with regards to bosses as well -- I've been summoning pretty freely after beating the game the first time, and some of my phantoms die very quickly.

I'm gonna have a hard time when the DLC drops...might have to make a new character and play through the DLC in NG.

Anyways so I was fighting A
ldrich
(are we still spoiler tagging boss names? Or can we stop :p?) and since I hate that fight so hard I decided to...
M.A.D with the RNJesus he was two hits form death and was gonna do his infinite arrows raining from the sky bullshit. So I whacked him and since his arrow still continue even after he's dead, I died. I still got embered when I loaded in, and when I went to collect my dropped souls the boss souls were there too lol.

pixxxelz

Finally! :D
24JyJf0.jpg

Shout-out to iRAWR for dropping some of the rings for me and saving me a huge grind, now to mess with PvP.

jonjonaug

Holy shit! NG++ is actually hard...
NG+ felt like NG but .01x harder...NG++ feels like NGx10. ;_;

The jump's bigger just because of how NG+# scales. All Souls games+Bloodborne work the same way.

Initial NG+: Everything has a planned adjusted boost so that everything is scaled to what's expected at endgame of NG, but with gradually increasing difficulty throughout the game. This means that early game stuff gets a huge boost (sometimes as much as 5x damage/HP) while lategame stuff is usually about 1.5-2x higher. DS2 adds more enemies and items, DS3 just adds more rings. I've noticed in Dark Souls 3 in particular a lot of the boosts seem to be on the lower side of things and don't feel as dramatic as Dark 1 did (probably why the subsequent boost felt bigger to you), but this is partially because of how the game just gives you a massive quantity of souls so it's possible to fully flesh out a SL120-125 build at endgame while in Dark 1 you would normally finish around level 75-85 or so without the DLC areas, even lower if you played the game pre-1.05 patch.
Each subsequent NG+: Every enemy in the game gets a flat boost to health and damage. In Dark 3 I believe this is a flat 7% per new game cycle, so the game ends up being 1.5x as difficult as base NG+ at maximum difficulty. I think Dark 1 worked differently with variable increases, at a max of 1.25x initial NG+ at the end.

The jump's bigger just because of how NG+# scales. All Souls games+Bloodborne work the same way.

Initial NG+: Everything has a planned adjusted boost so that everything is scaled to what's expected at endgame of NG, but with gradually increasing difficulty throughout the game. This means that early game stuff gets a huge boost (sometimes as much as 5x damage/HP) while lategame stuff is usually about 1.5-2x higher. DS2 adds more enemies and items, DS3 just adds more rings. I've noticed in Dark Souls 3 in particular a lot of the boosts seem to be on the lower side of things and don't feel as dramatic as Dark 1 did (probably why the subsequent boost felt bigger to you), but this is partially because of how the game just gives you a massive quantity of souls so it's possible to fully flesh out a SL120-125 build at endgame while in Dark 1 you would normally finish around level 75-85 or so without the DLC areas, even lower if you played the game pre-1.05 patch.
Each subsequent NG+: Every enemy in the game gets a flat boost to health and damage. In Dark 3 I believe this is a flat 7% per new game cycle, so the game ends up being 1.5x as difficult as base NG+ at maximum difficulty. I think Dark 1 worked differently with variable increases, at a max of 1.25x initial NG+ at the end.

I know that, but DaS 3 seemed to increase NG+ very marginally throughout the entire game. Like for example So
ul of cinder did his massive attack, and I lost ~50% of my health and I was unembered. It should do significantly more.

anyways the boost in NG++ is massive, I just solo'd Da
ncer
on NG++ feels good man.

Kieli

Stuck at
Champion Gundyr
and
Dragonslayer Armor
right now.

Can't cheese 'em with
Yhorm's
Greatshield anymore. They drain stamina like there's no tomorrow. :'(

Kinda miffed that spamming dodge works better than turtling. Dammit From, stop curating how I play the game. :I

Edit: Seriously though, there's no better satisfaction than cheesing bosses. Beat Sulyvahn by turtling; my goodness, it was satisfying.

Alo0oy

Banned
Their fault for being embered :p. Don't feel bad, you introduced them to the wonderful world of Dark Souls!

Don't worry. They'll resume exploring un-embered and then can go at their own pace. Such invasions are part of Souls.

I'll never forget my first invasion in Demon's. That "oh shit!!" moment when I see "____ has invaded your world!" flashing, that was a scary and daunting, yet exciting moment that changed my perception of the game. I lost that fight after holding my own for a while (the invader was fairly new at PvP too I think) but I wasn't mad, just "awwww damn that was close!" and I noticed my heart was pounding, and I hoped that more invaders would show up so I could try again and get better.

They didn't even have a chance to fight back, it was a sneak attack that halted their exploration. I wouldn't have felt bad if we had an actual fight.

I don't know why that particular invasion got to me, the way s/he was exploring with the torch up made me feel like I killed a defenseless player.

Meccs

Here I am at Sunday 10am.... out of bed... did feed the cats, coffee ready just want to do some invasions @Pontiff area before leaving the house. But apparently there is no one online. I had one invasion in 10 minutes, the rest is staring at the screen "searching for someone to invade". Should have bought the PS4 version and not the PC one (or Overwatch like everyone else apparently). fml :/

Ferr986

Oh man, do you remember when I said that I would level up my pyro a few levels (10) with the spare souls I had and I would roll back with my PS+ save when done?

Well. I did put my PS4 in standby after finishing the fight club...I'm such an idiot lol

Meccs

Oh man, do you remember when I said that I would level up my pyro a few levels (10) with the spare souls I had and I would roll back with my PS+ save when done?

Well. I did put my PS4 in standby after finishing the fight club...I'm such an idiot lol
Time for a new character then....

Alo0oy

Banned
Are they ever going to patch in the shrinemaiden's inventory carrying over? My archer build has been on hold for a while because of that stupid decision.

Ferr986

Time for a new character then....

lol no I'm already struggling finishing my Sorc char. I can't bring myself to finish the game again.

Oh well, I'lll take the oportunity to reach 40/40 on my pyro (she was 30/30). Wouldn't do much because at 120 people have even more HP than me but better than staying at the point I am right now.

Well I mean doesn't lightning scale slightly with dex and fire with str? Or did they change that with this game?

Was this in any game? Anyway DEX affect casting speed. That's it.

Alo0oy

Banned
Well I mean doesn't lightning scale slightly with dex and fire with str? Or did they change that with this game?

Nope, resin has no scaling, only spells scale, and they scale entirely off of the spell buff stat (which itself scales off of the corresponding INT/FTH combination).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They didn't even have a chance to fight back, it was a sneak attack that halted their exploration. I wouldn't have felt bad if we had an actual fight.

I don't know why that particular invasion got to me, the way s/he was exploring with the torch up made me feel like I killed a defenseless player.
Hah, maybe it's because I've been roleplaying my ruthless assassin too much but I wouldn't have felt bad at all. Or just a "haha damn poor guy/girl" kind of feeling. Of course I also invade at later levels (mostly Catacombs and later) so even the solo players I meet aren't that clueless by now.

Late Flag

Are they ever going to patch in the shrinemaiden's inventory carrying over? My archer build has been on hold for a while because of that stupid decision.

This and the fact that Andre's coals don't carry over were both weird design decisions. Neither of these should be treated as key items IMO.

Meccs

I swear like 4 out of 10 DS3 players have the name Guts(u). Naturally all players with that name need to die asap. And die he did 4 times.

Alo0oy

Banned
Hah, maybe it's because I've been roleplaying my ruthless assassin too much but I wouldn't have felt bad at all. Or just a "haha damn poor guy/girl" kind of feeling. Of course I also invade at later levels (mostly Catacombs and later) so even the solo players I meet aren't that clueless by now.

Yeah I invaded people that are by themselves a lot, but we always have a fight, I never sneak attacked someone to their immediate death while they were exploring a dead end with a torch.

I'm quite surprised at how guilty I felt actually, the image of that person exploring peacefully is still burned into my head. Ugh!

This and the fact that Andre's coals don't carry over were both weird design decisions. Neither of these should be treated as key items IMO.

That too, and Yoel's quest while we're in the subject of NG+ stupid decisions, if you use a purging stone you lose your hollowing and then you have to level up to save your luck build (potentially going over the 120 meta).

Got my platinum!

To get the final ending i needed (i did the more complex one on my second run through) I just literally ran through the game. Can't believe how many areas it was possible to do this in, the bonfies being so close together made it very simple, it was kind of fun though. I did encounter quite a few visual glitches though. Going to put together a quick video of some of 'em. Update: Video here, though i could only find two examples. There was a great one in the C
athedral of the Deep
where the floor in a stairway hadn't loaded yet and it gave me a good shock, but looks like i didn't save the footage.

Overall it was a great game but my least favorite of the franchise by a decent margin. Too many dull areas, poorly implemented covenants and it just needed to surprise a little more than it did. Also i feel i need to complain of a few too many enemies having very annoying throws/grabs, but that's a pretty minor issue.

Final stats (for anyone who may care):
3 Play throughs (one literally just running through the required areas, according to the time-stamp between trophies i have for the endings this took 1 hour and 40 minutes, but that can't be right)
72 hours, 55 minutes total playtime (maybe 8-10 hours of this was farming Cords, and another 2 hours for shackles)
Final level was 149.

laxu

I don't know why I've even bothered with the covenants. Farmed the Wolf and Rosaria ones and rank ones of Sunbros, Blades of the Darkmoon and Aldrich Faithfuls and the items you get just don't seem anywhere near worth the effort. Getting these thru regular methods would be a huge chore. It would be a lot better if you got some +1 or +2 items from covenants instead as those actually can give you an edge.

I mostly stuck with it because I wanted to level a bunch of weapons up at the same time so might as well farm the items while getting some souls to buy upgrade materials.

RiggyRob

I remember watching some of your Bloodborne videos but didn't find them particularly interesting because they lacked any sort of commentary while also not being played any better than I could. While there is a place for let's play videos like that and certainly beats having over-excited constant blather and screaming like some YouTubers do, I do enjoy hearing how the player experiences the game.

The game favours fast weapons in PvE most of the time and there are a few weapons in particular that hit way too hard considering how fast they are. If you read this thread R1 spam for a few weapons in particular is a real thing. I didn't really know how to parry or use a shield during my first playthrough coming from Bloodborne and did quite well when I got my dodging game on point.

I don't know if NPC invasions happen if you are offline but I would definitely suggest playing it online as random invasions can be quite interesting.

Totally missed this post - yeah, with the Bloodborne videos it was actually Pimmsy on the controls, and we were just getting to grips with the PS4's ShareFactory app and Share function. It was more about documenting that Pimmsy, who had no experience of Dark Souls or Bloodborne, or indeed a game using dual analogue sticks to control the camera, was able to persevere and beat the bosses of Bloodborne. I wish we'd thought of making a proper thing about it considering 'Can a Dark Souls Virgin beat Bloodborne' was a fairly popular series.

With the online, the thing is I don't really agree with having to pay for multiplayer. I understand that with PS+ now it's much better value for money than back in the early days of Xbox 360/Live multiplayer, but it doesn't sit right with me all the same, plus I barely play multiplayer anyway. It's a shame, but in a way it should make for an interesting experience where we're quite literally blind, trying to explore a dark oppressive world with no messages to help us.

Apologies for not replying sooner, I'm honestly trying to stay as clean as possible, so I just end up looking for my name/green highlights in the thread! I'll also be posting our videos with lots of spoiler tags in case other people are wanting to do the same.

Tarkus

Has anyone tried the Pontiff Knight Great Scythe? I'm thinking about giving this class another chance after being sorely disappointed in the Great Scythe.

Top Bottom