• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

laxu

With the online, the thing is I don't really agree with having to pay for multiplayer. I understand that with PS+ now it's much better value for money than back in the early days of Xbox 360/Live multiplayer, but it doesn't sit right with me all the same, plus I barely play multiplayer anyway. It's a shame, but in a way it should make for an interesting experience where we're quite literally blind, trying to explore a dark oppressive world with no messages to help us.

I do kinda agree with you and I avoided getting PS+ for Bloodborne for a long time. Then I finally caved and I'm glad I did as it gives a lot to the overall gameplay experience. The messages layed out by players can be anything from tips to tricks to just plain funny and I got a lot more out of the stupid chalice dungeons that way (as well as being able to grab some good loot from some well known glyphs).

For DS3 again the messages are great and I've left plenty myself. Co-op in a level or against a boss can be interesting and invasions from players exciting (or infuriating) but you can always decide if you want to play the multiplayer portion by using embers (which also give you more health and allow summoning). It turns the game from "me against the world" into a community effort where you get to experience some of the joy people have over defeating a difficult boss or finding a secret.

Mistel

Banned
Has anyone tried the Pontiff Knight Great Scythe? I'm thinking about giving this class another chance after being sorely disappointed in the Great Scythe.
Same issues as all scythes but has S DEX scaling at max nothing to special but if you were already disappointed with the Great Scythe then this will probably disappoint you as well.

This and the fact that Andre's coals don't carry over were both weird design decisions. Neither of these should be treated as key items IMO.

That's how Dark Souls always is, In DaS 1 you lost the coals given to the blacksmiths.

Are they ever going to patch in the shrinemaiden's inventory carrying over? My archer build has been on hold for a while because of that stupid decision.

Don't hold your breath, it's unlikely to ever be patched in :p. It's how it's intended(not poking fun at their poise comment, I'm being 100% serious). Just like in DaS 2 where for Chloanne
Starts giving unlimited amounts of certain titanites when you defeat Nashandra, but when you meet her in NG+ she isn't selling unlimited titanite anymore.
spoiling tagging in the off chance someone didn't play DaS 2.

Meccs

I find pointing down at a fallen enemy really immature and disrespectful. I always point up because they might be down now, but they will one day be up there if they give their best.

You can have a +9 weapon before reaching undead settlement.
I should've specified "before leaving High Wall".

I started a new attempt at doing a randomized level up character. This challenge was always meant to be more for fun than to maximize difficulty, so I ended up changing the rules of it because I didn't consider of the possibility of ending up as a Sorcerer that never gets Vigor, only gets Int (which kind of went against the point), and can end up with a rapier resisted by Deacons.

Code:
Dark Souls 3 random level up challenge

The rules:
- Starting class is chosen at random (I personally excluded Knight, Warrior, Mercenary, and Deprived)
- Starting gift is chosen at random
- Respecs aren't allowed (obviously)

- Leveling up are only allowed after every boss is defeated
- When leveling up, roll two 1d9 dice (or a d10 and use the 10 as a reroll)
  the two numbers correspond to the stat screen in descending order (1 = Vig, 2 = Attn, etc...)
  Put three points in each stat
  If both d9's roll the same stat, you are allowed to reroll both (not one) dice
- You are allowed to put a seventh point in vigor

- You may grind to finish leveling, but the corresponding points must correspond to the stats you rolled

- Once a weapon is infused, it cannot be given a new infusion
- A weapon can have its infusion removed, but it can't be given a new infusion afterward
- Any infusion that sacrifices stat scaling for base damage is banned
- Hollowing is banned (Hollow infusion to give weapons luck scaling are not)

I ended up rolling a Pyromancer this time. Was hoping for Herald but better luck next time I suppose. Pyromancer is pretty much everything the Sorcerer wishes it was, a great starting weapon (seriously the Hand Axe is actually pretty good), well spread starting stats that make it easy to qualify for equipment. This is the class second most suited to this challenge other than Deprived (which I opted not to include in randomization because it's kind of boring and I wanted a sense of shuffled stats before the character is made).

My first level ups were Vitality and Faith, I think Pyromancer starts with enough Faith to qualify for some weapons already, but it is still nice and gives scaling. I didn't have the Attunement to use a Talisman + Heal Aid yet, though.

High wall went pretty well, the Hand Axe is a great weapon (about as fast as a straight sword) and Pyromancer starts with some Strength, so I got to have actual damage. Fireball worked really well on the black goo hollow enemies and Vordt (who is weak to it, I think?)

No Lothric armor dropped, so I went ahead and purchased the Hard Leather armor from Greirat. Also without at least 10 Dex or more, a lot of weapons found in High Wall are off limits for now, so there is a slight downside to the character. I had fun with the Deep Axe until I remembered it's banned from this challenge, but I'll rule that I can just give it a new infusion to make it a legal weapon.

My next level ups were Vigor and Attunement, which pretty much guarantees this character won't run into a lot of the problems the Sorcerer attempt had (which was arguably being worse than an SL1 character in some, not all, but some ways). I waited until after Vordt to upgrade a weapon in case I could use a new weapon, but that didn't happen, so I went ahead and upgraded the Hand Axe a bit at least for the short term. I also got an Attunement slot, so I can use Heal Aid now for secondary healing.

Meccs

8 out of 10 invasions are gank squads. Probably time to stop playing until the DLC comes out.

Edit: Question, what is the point in having a friend invading as a Aldrich and fight for you? To take away an invader slot? I've seen people with 2 (or 3?) summons and one invader, which makes basically a 5 man gank squad.

There is nothing more satisfying when you invade into a gank and run away, then another red joins and they just melt as soon as it's no longer a 1vs3/4. LOVE IT! But still, way too many ganks now.

neoism

��

i just got summoned for the first time ever in pontiff at level 161 ..... for watchdoge

and then he sends me right back...

feels.png

I forgot to mention, I went ahead and did a cracked eye orb invasion (out of habit, I don't think I actually need the questline) and ended up invading a seeded world on NG+ (!!) with a host that was hiding with Way of Blue turned on.

Kieli

8 out of 10 invasions are gank squads. Probably time to stop playing until the DLC comes out.

Edit: Question, what is the point in having a friend invading as a Aldrich and fight for you? To take away an invader slot? I've seen people with 2 (or 3?) summons and one invader, which makes basically a 5 man gank squad.

There is nothing more satisfying when you invade into a gank and run away, then another red joins and they just melt as soon as it's no longer a 1vs3/4. LOVE IT! But still, way too many ganks now.

Though I don't play online, it immensely satisfies me that invaders have to fight against ganks.

#nohonor #stopimpedingmyprogress

Mistel

Banned
Well shit. My search for good uncommon weapons for PvP continues....

It sucks that I missed the fight club yesterday. I'd be up for it today if anyone wants to.
You could use some of the axes like Eleonora or the Winged Kinght Twinaxes the claws aren't often used either in pvp.

Tarkus

You could use some of the axes like Eleonora or the Winged Kinght Twinaxes the claws aren't often used either in pvp.
You're right, I don't see many smaller axes. Eleonora does that have a unique skill. I recall it being slow though. I'm using a Pike, Corvian Greatknife, and Corvian Scythe at the moment. They all suck in different ways. I really like the look of the Pike and I love spears, but it's outclassed in every way by the Lothric Long Spear except for being 1/2 unit lighter. There's no reason to use the Pike whatsoever. The Greatknife has potential. The Scythe is junk.

Next up will be the Twin Axes.

Namikaze1

So weekend started off great. Lost about 8 hours due to a corrupted save. Thank god I had two back ups (via online storage and USB). Sucks that I lost 8 hours but I spent those 8 hours dying to N
ameless
K
ing
so whatever. The backups had me right before I
rang the bell to initiate the fight
so all was not lost. Had a fellow gaffer help me out with that fight. Thanks again, iRAWR!

That was Friday night. Resumed exploring
Lothric
today. I beat D
ragonslayer Armour
with two NPCs,
Sirris and Eygon
. (They did jackshit. Well, they did aggroed him a few times but I was doing the heavy lifting.) And to end the day, I went and explored a lot of
Grand Archive
. Almost there...

Late Flag

Invasions definitely suck. On a lark though, last night I started laying down red summon signs, and I actually had really good luck with those. Obviously not the same as a good, old-school invasion, but I got lots of straight-up one-on-one fights.

Soulhouf

I'm back. This week I will be available for some DS3 PvP.
How did it got last night?

@Relaxed Muscle: Wouldn't be a good idea to create a PS4 group?

Mistel

Banned
You're right, I don't see many smaller axes. Eleonora does that have a unique skill. I recall it being slow though. I'm using a Pike, Corvian Greatknife, and Corvian Scythe at the moment. They all suck in different ways. I really like the look of the Pike and I love spears, but it's outclassed in every way by the Lothric Long Spear except for being 1/2 unit lighter. There's no reason to use the Pike whatsoever. The Greatknife has potential. The Scythe is junk.

Next up will be the Twin Axes.
Eleonora is a bit temperamental but is buff is helpful, I've found the Greatknife does have the potential to be useful similar to the Brigand Twindaggers. What's you opinion on the Great Lance? Its definitely the strongest of the pike class plus I think it is also the longest.

Tarkus

Eleonora is a bit temperamental but is buff is helpful, I've found the Greatknife does have the potential to be useful similar to the Brigand Twindaggers. What's you opinion on the Great Lance? Its definitely the strongest of the pike class plus I think it is also the longest.
It's very slow with every attack except 2h R1. The R2s are useless charges that have weird slow starting animations. Too many charges in its moveset for me.

Matt Frost

Is extremely fun when you are playing with two more friends and somebody invades your team, then they realize they are against three and start running away in fear

Mistel

Banned
It's very slow with every attack except 2h R1. The R2s are useless charges that have weird slow starting animations. Too many charges in its moveset for me.
I think its a shame considering previous lances to have this one be solely limited to PvE in usefulness it lacks the variety to make it PvP competent.

Tarkus

I think its a shame considering previous lances to have this one be solely limited to PvE in usefulness it lacks the variety to make it PvP competent.
Yeah they ruined the lance. They used to be like the Ultra Greatswords of the Spear class where one mistake by the opponent often meant death.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is extremely fun when you are playing with two more friends and somebody invades your team, then they realize they are against three and start running away in fear

Well, of course they'll run. 3v1 are hard to win so you have to use the terrain to your advantage.

What is actually funny: 3v1 where they'll all stand back super cautiously and dare not approach even though there's just one of you, or when you kill two phantoms the host just runs back real far just to get more phantoms (and will spam roll/run the whole time) 'cause he's scared to even try fighting.

Well, of course they'll run. 3v1 are hard to win so you have to use the terrain to your advantage.

What is actually funny: 3v1 where they'll all stand back super cautiously and dare not approach even though there's just one of you, or when you kill two phantoms the host just runs back real far just to get more phantoms (and will spam roll/run the whole time) 'cause he's scared to even try fighting.

I had that happen before waited about 30mins to kill one of them. The funny thing is 2 had end level gear and 1 of them was a high level judging by the blue symbol.

Alo0oy

Banned
That's how Dark Souls always is, In DaS 1 you lost the coals given to the blacksmiths.

Don't hold your breath, it's unlikely to ever be patched in :p. It's how it's intended(not poking fun at their poise comment, I'm being 100% serious). Just like in DaS 2 where for Chloanne
Starts giving unlimited amounts of certain titanites when you defeat Nashandra, but when you meet her in NG+ she isn't selling unlimited titanite anymore.
spoiling tagging in the off chance someone didn't play DaS 2.

It was a massive QoL improvement introduced in Bloodborne and it's so weird that they didn't introduce that in DS3, especially with how they actually carried over the "badge" system as umbral ashes.

It wasn't so bad for archers in previous games because the box could carry 999 arrows and you could carry 999, so you had ~2k arrows for every arrow type, that's more than enough for you to progress through NG+ and unlock the good arrows again. And they're not locked 'till end game either like the splintering bolts are in DS3.

I'd like to say that Sorcery builds are super awesome in this game. I know it takes a bit of time for them to reach their potential, but we they do it's amazing.

Right know I'm doing a semi no weapon build (I take out my MLGS if i'm huring for FP.) My Farron Flashsword is soooo strong. I'm surprised I don't see it used very often by others.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'd like to say that Sorcery builds are super awesome in this game. I know it takes a bit of time for them to reach their potential, but we they do it's amazing.

Right know I'm doing a semi no weapon build (I take out my MLGS if i'm huring for FP.) My Farron Flashsword is soooo strong. I'm surprised I don't see it used very often by others.

Sorcery is actually very good at 60 INT with all three rings equipped + sage's ring +2 + crown of dusk + scholar's candlestick.

The problem is that the entire equipment set above is essential and not optional, and that because of the casting speed you need to be extremely good just to match below average players in PvP, let alone top tier players.

Sorcery is actually very good at 60 INT with all three rings equipped + sage's ring +2 + crown of dusk + scholar's candlestick.

The problem is that the entire equipment set above is essential and not optional, and that because of the casting speed you need to be extremely good just to match below average players in PvP, let alone top tier players.

Yeah rings are indeed important. Though I switch out the sage's ring for Lloyds's attack ring for extra damage. Because of that, I had to be able to time my attacks well. Like using my Flashsword earlier when an enemy is coming. PvP is fun because no one is expecting my Flashsword to take half their health. Though I did find out the hard way that it can be parried. Lucky, me the attack didn't land.

I wouldn't say you need Scholar's Candlestick and Crown of Dusk. I don't use them since they mess up my Fashion Souls, and I think I do ok in PvP.

Matt Frost

Nah, they dont use surroundings to have advantage, they just run and leave. And he should not be scared, there is always something to learn, and get better. Fighting only makes us stronger. 1v3 and dont approach? We go all in at once and they dont stand a chance that way.

Namikaze1

Praise the freaking sun! I don't know how but I survived with just a sliver of health and no Estus against L
othric and his brother.

It was a do or die moment.
Lothric was literally a second away from killing me. He had a bit more health than I anticipated so I had to hammer it in while he was reviving Lorian. If I was a second too late to react, I would have been dead.

joe2187

Banned
I dont think I'll ever platinum this game.

I aint got no time to farm blue sentinal and farron stuff. I at least had fun with Aldritch and Moundmakers since I can get summoned/invade with absolutely no issue whatsoever.

Farron, Darkmoon and Blue sentinal are broken for me on PS4. I have never been summoned once.

Besides, I got all the pyromancies and the trophy refuses to pop no matter what i do.

Overall this is my absolute Favorite DS game besides Dark Souls 1. I had a great time and cant wait for the DLC.

HeeHo

I dont think I'll ever platinum this game.

I aint got no time to farm blue sentinal and farron stuff. I at least had fun with Aldritch and Moundmakers since I can get summoned/invade with absolutely no issue whatsoever.

Farron, Darkmoon and Blue sentinal are broken for me on PS4. I have never been summoned once.

Besides, I got all the pyromancies and the trophy refuses to pop no matter what i do.

Overall this is my absolute Favorite DS game besides Dark Souls 1. I had a great time and cant wait for the DLC.

Totally feel you on these issues, but I caved and have decided to grind the Farron and Darkmoon items. Although, I am finally getting some auto summons from Farron/Darkmoon, it's still not fast enough to outpace the grinding of enemies.

That has got to be the number one damper on this game, at least for me. The game is so good to you until you come to a screeching halt trying to get auto summon covenant items.

laxu

Being on the opposite side on the other hand is not that fun or interesting as you have little chance of taking out the host. I once got lucky in Irithyll by baiting the gank squad to the Pontiff knights and they somehow managed to take out the host. However most of the time at the level my character is at the enemies don't pose enough of a problem to be useful as allies.

joe2187

Banned
Being on the opposite side on the other hand is not that fun or interesting as you have little chance of taking out the host. I once got lucky in Irithyll by baiting the gank squad to the Pontiff knights and they somehow managed to take out the host. However most of the time at the level my character is at the enemies don't pose enough of a problem to be useful as allies.

I've had plenty of success in the grand archives. The Labyrinth is a great tool for kiting the Gank squads.

Many places to wait in Ambush and punish the host of embers by a well time death from above. I got all my Moundmakers shackles from the grand archives alone. Gank squads be damned.

Meccs

Though I don't play online, it immensely satisfies me that invaders have to fight against ganks.

#nohonor #stopimpedingmyprogress
Fair enough but you already play offline which is valid if you don't like to get invaded (and don't like to be unkindled) but I'm not impeding anyone's progress if the gank just sits at the bonfire waiting for invasions to happen. I usually only engage 2 people, if there are more I just wait for a second invader or try to involve some NPC mobs. The flips side is, that 90% of the gankers are just really bad. So I usually win most 1vs2 or 2vs3/4 fights. I'm complaining mostly because it gets kinda old if there are just the copycat gank squads left in the game. But people move on to other games, I get that. Maybe I should too. Too bad the DLC isn't out for a few month :/ I still can't get enough of this game.

I'm back. This week I will be available for some DS3 PvP.
How did it got last night?

@Relaxed Muscle: Wouldn't be a good idea to create a PS4 group?

I'll look into it.

Let's see if we can get another one thiss weekend.

Nah, they dont use surroundings to have advantage, they just run and leave. And he should not be scared, there is always something to learn, and get better. Fighting only makes us stronger. 1v3 and dont approach? We go all in at once and they dont stand a chance that way.

There's nothing to learn on a 3 vs 1, fight you either get stunlocked to death or stabbed to death. There's no technique involved just people smashing R1 with their dark swords.

Matt Frost

Yeah, but when an invader shows up and start making gestures and being quite arrogant, is extremely fun when (I stand in the middle of a place with only one entrance, visible, then my two friends are hiding in ambush) they realize they can't win like they were thinking (few are overpowered in 1v3 and can do something) and start running away and leave. We just want to play and have fun. That's what I meant.

There's nothing to learn on a 3 vs 1, fight you either get stunlocked to death or stabbed to death. There's no technique involved just people smashing R1 with their dark swords.

Why not? Try to lure one, get terrain advantage, make a shield with baddies and strike at one when he is being hit, learn how to fight mobs, become better,...

Usually, people learn more on defeat (they give some thought to what happened and how to avoid it) than in victory (celebration, etc...)

Yeah, but when an invader shows up and start making gestures and being quite arrogant, is extremely fun when (I stand in the middle of a place with only one entrance, visible, then my two friends are hiding in ambush) they realize they can't win like they were thinking (few are overpowered in 1v3 and can do something) and start running away and leave. We just want to play and have fun. That's what I meant.

Why not? Try to lure one, get terrain advantage, make a shield with baddies and strike at one when he is being hit, learn how to fight mobs, become better,...

Usually, people learn more on defeat (they give some thought to what happened and how to avoid it) than in victory (celebration, etc...)

Well, I was actually referring to combat, all these things you mentioned are situational, using foes? Ganks can just aggro one using proyectiles and slightly reducing their numbers, terrain? Depends a lot of where are you invading, plus lots of gankers will just wait at the bonfire, even with the superior numbers, which is ridiculous btw.

And I think you can earn a lot in the victory...if you earn it, every fight on PvP is knowledge you can use in your battles. But of course that means having some actual involvement in the fight, with «smash R1» with my ganking friends, people will learn very little, that's why most gankers hosts are actually awful players.

Like reeeeally bad.

Top Bottom