• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

I had an invader the other day trying to use alluring skulls so they would aggro me. Once he realized that wasn't gonna work he started the 1vs1.

More baffling to me are the invaders who attack other invaders:

One of the most chaotic/fun invasions was when I invaded are after pointiff, so I was there and suddenly two blue phantoms appears of fucking nowhere, and then 2 Aldritch as well. "Oh well, I'm not alone", then both aldritch starts attacking blue guys, but at the same time me too!.

I got a parry on one blue, and then, instead of finishing him off, one of the aldritch he goes after me, allowing the blue to recover. I have yet to understand the reasoning behind that. So I decide to get the fuck off there, both aldricth died and then I managed to finish both blue by myself and kill the host who was hiding with the help of another red.

If they only had helped me....

The moment when you are able to kill an Invader that easily kill your phantoms. It felt so awesome, no one messes with me and my MLGS.

I had an invader the other day trying to use alluring skulls so they would aggro me. Once he realized that wasn't gonna work he started the 1vs1.

One of the most chaotic/fun invasions was when I invaded are after pointiff, so I was there and suddenly two blue phantoms appears of fucking nowhere, and then 2 Aldritch as well. "Oh well, I'm not alone", then both aldritch starts attacking blue guys, but at the same time me too!.

I got a parry on one blue, and then, instead of finishing him off, one of the aldritch he goes after me, allowing the blue to recover. I have yet to understand the reasoning behind that. So I decide to get the fuck off there, both aldricth died and then I managed to finish both blue by myself and kill the host who was hiding with the help of another red.

If they only had helped me....

Yeah never understood that. If I was wearing an Untrue Ring no problem, yet sometimes when I'm not using it, they still attack me.

For people who are playing this on pc, does your frame rate drop a few frames every once in awhile? I see it drop from 60 usually down to 58 for a split second and then shoot back up to 60 throughout the game.

For people who are playing this on pc, does your frame rate drop a few frames every once in awhile? I see it drop from 60 usually down to 58 for a split second and then shoot back up to 60 throughout the game.

I drop to 40 for prolonged periods of time when playing on max :/. Which sucks because I thought my graphics card was good ;_;

poodpick

I swear this is the game with the most amount of cowards invaders. They don't even try to fight you even when you're solo for fucks sake. That shit almost never happened in other Souls for me, everyone there had some balls atleast.

Is as bad as suiciding when you get invaded IMO. This shit's not PvP, it's a fucking running tourney.

I love invading and bowing to a solo opponent only for 2 hidden phantoms to appear behind me.

GulAtiCa

Anyone on PS4 able to currently give me all their current Rings? I made a new character so I can get all the Proofs from doing low-level co-op help. But will greatly help if I had all the rings to make things more manageable.

Alo0oy

Banned
So the next patch will increase the amount of arrows/bolts you can carry!

999/999 please? My archer is standing by.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah I really don't get this shit. I understand accidental hits between reds or with Aldrich/reds, and I do wear the untrue dark ring but you can still see the player is not the true host even if you missed the host's name by the fact that the name is a different colour. And sometimes the host is right there and also fighting, possibly with a phantom, and the other invader also attacks me... wut, why are you all against me xD

Sarcasm

So, other than the fog areas, your game remains at locked 60 fps and never drops a single frame throughout the entire game?

Yea. But I always have turned shadows off or down (I don't remember if you can in DS3 since I haven't played it sicne 100%ing it) whenever I play a game out of habit so I bet that helped.

Alo0oy

Banned
Inb4 they increase it to 100.

FROM SOOOOFT.

hwuWXQZ.gif

FROM SOOOOFT.

hwuWXQZ.gif

Heh, nice gif. Hopefully they do increase it to 999(I need something else to spend my excess souls on since my weapons is at max, my shield is at max, and I'm not leveling up anymore).

Anyways I have my monitor connected via DVI if that makes any difference whatsoever. I've tried deleting drivers, and reinstalling to the latest, I've tried checking if the GPU is too dusty(it's not) I've checked if maybe my CPU is overheating(it sits around 49c while the game is running), I checked if maybe the GPU is little loose or the cables aren't fully connected neither of which were the case and yet I still drop to 48fps. This is bugging me :/

gaugebozo

Before I knew how the untrue ring worked, I invaded after the Pontiff. The host was nowhere to be found, and I killed a red phantom qho was also hiding thinking he was the host. 😕

poodpick

Astoras greatsword charged R2 + Leo ring = destroyed gank. Can't believe all 3 died to a single charged R2 each. You would think they would learn.

I encountered an interesting hacker just now. Him and his buddy would take damage from npcs, fall damage, etc but I couldn't hit them. Guess they just liked cooping through the game without dealing with invaders.

Just lost 2.4 million souls. Fuck.

C
hampion
G
undyr
- who is a motherfucker in NG+ by the way - killed me, and on the way back I got stunlocked to death by a grave warden.

I was really enjoying my sorcerer build at first, but I'm beginning to sour on it. Bosses like the one mentioned above are ridiculously difficult because you barely get a chance to cast your spells while getting bumrushed.

laxu

Seems like you need to turn off your framerate counter and stop worrying.

Only one boss left for me in NG+ (last one) and then it's 20 hours farming time... ehhh.

List of bosses and how many times I fought them in NG+:

Gundyr 1
Vordt 1
Dancer 1
Tree 1
Sage 1
Deacons 1
Watchers 1
Wolnir 1
Old Daemon 1
Pontiff 1
Aldrich 1
Giant 1
Slayer 1
Princes 2
Nameless King 10 (fought him for the first time in NG+)
Oceiros 1
Champion Gundyr 1

I have a feeling last boss will kill me somehow but we will see.

Are NG++ bosses much harder?

Only one boss left for me in NG+ (last one) and then it's 20 hours farming time... ehhh.

List of bosses and how many times I fought them in NG+:

Gundyr 1
Vordt 1
Dancer 1
Tree 1
Sage 1
Deacons 1
Watchers 1
Wolnir 1
Old Daemon 1
Pontiff 1
Aldrich 1
Giant 1
Slayer 1
Princes 2
Nameless King 10 (fought him for the first time in NG+)
Oceiros 1
Champion Gundyr 1

I have a feeling last boss will kill me somehow but we will see.

Are NG++ bosses much harder?

I should really keep track of how many times it takes me for each boss...

And yes...INCREDIBLY more difficult. Like I went through NG+ quite easily with my 130 character, NG++ has made me rage a lot. NG++ is basically like NG+ was in DaS 2 DLC. Best way I can put it.

Edit: I was 130, not 135. Not that it makes a huge difference though.

Soulhouf

I meant to lock-on to the yellow coming around the corner but it didn't work and then I panic parried...
https://fat.gfycat.com/CoarseVengefulBushsqueaker.webm

I can never parry that weapon under normal circumstances >.<

Haha that's neat.
Not exactly the same but something similar happened to me where I locked on to the wrong phantom while panic rolling and did a parry which was queued. The delayed attack on the UGS charged attack had a perfect timing with my "backward" parry.
I don't know if it's a glitch but the fact that you can parry even when you're not facing your opponent in this game is awesome.

Alo0oy

Banned
I see a lot of people complaining about the bosses in DS3 on twitter and Reddit, and I don't get it.

Quite frankly, the bosses in DS3 (and BB) are significantly more complex and have a vastly bigger moveset, even supposed "hard" bosses like Manus and Flamelurker have like 3 moves they repeat over and over, they don't even stack up against some standard enemies in DS3 and BB.

Yes, I know they're newer games, but it's disingenuous to say the bosses in DS3 are disappointing and then praise Manus for his almighty 2 moves moveset.

Does people really think Manus was that good or is a matter of «omg sif fights with you!» thing?

The actual king of boss fights in ds1 is Artorias without doubt.

Alo0oy

Banned
Does people really think Manus was that good or is a matter of «omg sif fights with you!» thing?

The actual king of boss fights in ds1 is Artorias without doubt.

Even Artorias isn't that complex, he's actually very simple, compare his moveset to Champion Gundyr.

Gundyr can probably solo every single boss in DeS, DS, and DS2 if you put his AI against those bosses, probably without healing, their slow ass swipes won't do anything when he wrecks them in his second phase.

Demon's Souls is my favorite, but I have no problem admitting that BB and DS3 are 10 times more complex mechanically.

German Spy loves to complain about the enemies in DS3 and BB because they do unpredictable stuff, and then compares them to the enemies in DeS and DS, but the enemies in those games have 2 moves, you can probably guess parry most of those moves, that's not what I'd "better".

There's always room for nostalgia, but let's not kid ourselves, in terms of mechanics and gameplay complexity, DS3 and BB are in a different league.

Mistel

Banned
Gundyr can probably solo every single boss in DeS, DS, and DS2 if you put his AI against those bosses, probably without healing, their slow ass swipes won't do anything when he wrecks them in his second phase.
Generalising the the bosses doesn't really aid your point lots of them do have speed and so on just because they're not some demonic ballerina twirling about the place doesn't diminish their abilities.

laxu

I see a lot of people complaining about the bosses in DS3 on twitter and Reddit, and I don't get it.

Quite frankly, the bosses in DS3 (and BB) are significantly more complex and have a vastly bigger moveset, even supposed "hard" bosses like Manus and Flamelurker have like 3 moves they repeat over and over, they don't even stack up against some standard enemies in DS3 and BB.

Yes, I know they're newer games, but it's disingenuous to say the bosses in DS3 are disappointing and then praise Manus for his almighty 2 moves moveset.

The only complaints I have about DS3 bosses is that they're nowhere near as imaginative as the horrors you face in Bloodborne. Those ranged from human sized enemies to huge multi-limbed creatures with interesting movesets too. Even if their attacks in the end amounted to "swiping with their main arms" they were generally a lot more menacing than anything you face in DS3. Nothing in DS3 has got my heart pumping like BB bosses.

Many bosses in DS3 by comparison are essentially just big dude with swords who hits like a truck often with bullshit grab attacks that instakill you. There seems to be less clever moves and more just stuff that hits for big damage no matter what your stats.

Even Artorias isn't that complex, he's actually very simple, compare his moveset to Champion Gundyr.

Demon's Souls is my favorite, but I have no problem admitting that BB and DS3 are 10 times more complex mechanically.

German Spy loves to complain about the enemies in DS3 and BB because they do unpredictable stuff, and then compares them to the enemies in DeS and DS, but the enemies in those games have 2 moves, you can probably guess parry most of those moves, that's not what I'd "better".

There's always room for nostalgia, but let's not kid ourselves, in terms of mechanics and gameplay complexity, DS3 and BB are in a different league.

I don't think you can make a direct comparisson, DS3 combat is not DS combat, DeS combat is not DS3 combat.

In these terms, bosses are gonna have natural differences.

That said DS3, while in a lot of ways improve from bosses in past games, you can't deny the influence bosses like artorias had in later games in the series o flamelurker. In that regard later bosses became more complex but so the combat did as well.

So while mechanically speaking OoK or NK are way more complex, I can't forget many of the past fights in past games.

Top Bottom