• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Surprised to learn that Perseverance lets you tank through Profaned Greatsword's weapon art. Neither Stomp, nor Unfaltering Prayer can stop it, so the poise boost from Perseverance must be massive.

Arjen

Is it possible to kill
Lord of Cinder
and not link the flame but just return to firelink shrine? I'm still deciding what ending I want and if I should cure my hollowing since who knows what we will get in the DLC (Londor for example).

I think that's possible.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, I think hollow is the best infusion for fist weapons because you get 10 free stat points as well as extra damage from strength investment, you don't need more than 30 endurance, so raising strength to ~25 helps when combined with 40/40 dex/luck.
Don't know why'd you want 40 DEX considering most of the fist weapons scale with STR as well plus most of them are STR or quality weapons, for Claws that would make sense though. Hollowing is definitely the best infusion for fists in general although Heavy and Refined do have their uses plus the whole Simple Caestus on the offhand.
Good stuff, thanks. As I suspected it might take some time to get going, as Carthus Rouge and those rings are not immediately available.
What is QS (re: Manikin claw) btw?

I'll probably go Quality on this build since I want to use both Caestus and claws (maybe Demon's Fists eventually, they any good?) for... roleplay reasons. ^^
Demon Fists are a decent STR weapon with and you can pretty much ignore the fire damage and the E/E scaling they have in INT/FTH they can be used pretty well without the investment in that front with a similar moveset to the DS2 Caestus. The Flame Whirlwind is handy in PVP as well if you can get the follow up strong attack chained along with it.
Surprised to learn that Perseverance lets you tank through Profaned Greatsword's weapon art. Neither Stomp, nor Unfaltering Prayer can stop it, so the poise boost from Perseverance must be massive.
It is a very strong boost to poise and damage reduction when active really helps to close the gap within PVP.

Alo0oy

Banned
I just had a duel with someone that was AFK, so I waited for them to come back, and when they came back they messaged me, apologizing for keeping me waiting, and then s/he dropped me some items as an apology, but I declined. But the fight was over within seconds, so they message me again apologizing for sucking.

Such a nice change of pace compared to all the hate mail you usually get from beating people.

Alo0oy

Banned
Don't know why'd you want 40 DEX considering most of the fist weapons scale with STR as well plus most of them are STR or quality weapons, for Claws that would make sense though. Hollowing is definitely the best infusion for fists in general although Heavy and Refined do have their uses plus the whole Simple Caestus on the offhand.

Demon's Fist is the only Strength fist weapon, Caestus is a quality fist weapon, the other two are both dex weapons with minimal strength scaling.

And say Goodbye to Simple Caestus by the next patch, you'll no longer be able to cast a weapon art with 1 FP.

Mistel

Banned
Demon's Fist is the only Strength fist weapon, Caestus is a quality fist weapon, the other two are both dex weapons with minimal strength scaling.

And say Goodbye to Simple Caestus by the next patch, you'll no longer be able to cast a weapon art with 1 FP.
I know that that doesn't answer why with a fist weapon you'd go DEX heavy and not quality build to maximise the Caestus damage. I know all about the Simple Caestus and its impending curtailing as well.

Alo0oy

Banned
I know that that doesn't answer why with a fist weapon you'd go DEX heavy and not quality build to maximise the Caestus damage. I know all about the Simple Caestus and its impending curtailing as well.

If you want to use the Manikin Claws you'd get much better damage at 25/40/40 STR/DEX/LCK than say 35/35/35, both claw weapons have better dex scaling, and you still get decent strength scaling with the Caestus at 25/40 STR/DEX.

Both STR & DEX cap at 40, you get no advantages whatsoever if you make them both equal under that level, so at 25/40 you get the same AR on the Caestus as you would at 30/35, and that's because it has identical scaling for both stats.

By focusing on strength you're only handicapping yourself, unless you really want to use Demon's Fists.

ecosse_011172

I'm doing a Pryo Build Build and have just beaten
High Lord Wolnir
I have SL52 and
Vigor 20
Attunement 20
Endurance 18
Vitality 8
Strength 12
Dex 16
Intelligence 21
Faith 20
Luck 7

I've been using Fire Uchigitana +3 , Pyromania Glove +4 and the Pyromancer Clothes

Are there any weapons/spells/Clothes that I should look at now?
What about levelling up?

Thanks in advance.

Alo0oy

Banned
High Lord Wolnir
I have SL52 and
Vigor 20
Attunement 20
Endurance 18
Vitality 8
Strength 12
Dex 16
Intelligence 21
Faith 20
Luck 7

I've been using Fire Uchigitana +3 , Pyromania Glove +4 and the Pyromancer Clothes

What about levelling up?

Thanks in advance.

Witch's Locks is the best pyro weapon.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't work out, Darkdrift does no damage and the black blade has shitty range, so I abandoned the build.

I hope Darkdrift gets a buff because the current situation is unacceptable

Yeah, DD is a bit pants. Shame about BB though, I'm getting some great matches out of it.

My biggest bugbear with the katanas is that lack of technical moves. DS2 katanas had some cool hidden combo quirks that made higher level play really interesting.

High Lord Wolnir
I have SL52 and
Vigor 20
Attunement 20
Endurance 18
Vitality 8
Strength 12
Dex 16
Intelligence 21
Faith 20
Luck 7

What about levelling up?

Thanks in advance.

If you don't care about not discovering by yourself, look where to find the first secret area of the game. A key place for pyromancers.

Tarkus

ENB is crying salty tears because hollowing and other stuff got spoiled for him in the YT comments. Waaaahhhh. Should've grabbed your early early copy when you had the chance name bro. You're primarily a Dark Souls uploader, of course people are going to comment about missing shit when everybody's beaten the shit out of the game.

And WTF was the purpose in waiting to play on launch day? It's not like he's trying to coop or PvP in the game's prime. He's not even playing online. The whole thing makes no sense.

Alo0oy

Banned
Yeah, DD is a bit pants. Shame about BB though, I'm getting some great matches out of it.

My biggest bugbear with the katanas is that lack of technical moves. DS2 katanas had some cool hidden combo quirks that made higher level play really interesting.

Yeah, I'm very disappointed with the Katanas, straight swords do more damage, are significantly faster, consume less stamina, and have a better weapon art.

The only thing Katanas have over straight swords is mildly longer range (except for the WP, but the less said about that weapon's phantom range, the better).

Katanas really needed a complete overhaul in DS3, they should be very fast weapons with very long range, but relatively low damage, being slow weapons with a boring overhead slash moveset is very uncharacteristic of Katanas in general.

Mistel

Banned
If you want to use the Manikin Claws you'd get much better damage at 25/40/40 STR/DEX/LCK than say 35/35/35, both claw weapons have better dex scaling, and you still get decent strength scaling with the Caestus at 25/40 STR/DEX.

Both STR & DEX cap at 40, you get no advantages whatsoever if you make them both equal under that level, so at 25/40 you get the same AR on the Caestus as you would at 30/35, and that's because it has identical scaling for both stats.

By focusing on strength you're only handicapping yourself, unless you really want to use Demon's Fists.
I was only talking about Caestus not the Manikin claws and I know about the split for scaling with regards to the Caestus. A slight issue is 25/40 doesn't give you the same AR as 30/35 it gives you more AR with 266 vs 269 so that's a rather moot point there. STR also has the two handed scaling modifiers going for it as well unlike DEX. To be fair though this is rather trivial considering the contents of next weeks patch which will alter Fists/Claws damage output.

Do you like Bloodlust? Not much between it and DD although it pales to the Washing Pole and BB AR wise but is similar to Bewitched Alonne Sword in abilities mainly the weapon art. The decreased technicality within combat is a shame it does limit the skill gap (wildly meta dependent) substantially.
Witch's Locks is the best pyro weapon.
Other than range it still has all the problems of the whip class coupled with split damage.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Katanas really needed a complete overhaul in DS3, they should be very fast weapons with very long range, but relatively low damage,
You mean like... now?
being slow weapons with a boring overhead slash moveset is very uncharacteristic of Katanas in general.
I disagree that they're that slow, but... how familiar are you with katana combat anyway? :p

ENB is crying salty tears because hollowing and other stuff got spoiled for him in the YT comments. Waaaahhhh. Should've grabbed your early early copy when you had the chance name bro. You're primarily a Dark Souls uploader, of course people are going to comment about missing shit when everybody's beaten the shit out of the game.

And WTF was the purpose in waiting to play on launch day? It's not like he's trying to coop or PvP in the game's prime. He's not even playing online. The whole thing makes no sense.
He did ask people not to spoil things, but you know - youtube commenters gonna youtube comment. People do that stuff just because you asked them not to or not. He really should've not trusted to read the comments if he really didn't want to be spoiled, and this is his 2nd playthrough, so.... It sucks, but you should know it's going to happen, so don't read them.

I haven't viewed the latest ep though, I'm a bit behind.

Alo0oy

Banned
You mean like... now?

I disagree that they're that slow, but... how familiar are you with katana combat anyway? :p

Have never held a Katana in my life :p, I just like how fast and cool they are when portrayed in the media. I think they're too slow, and their movesets aren't unique enough. I mostly dislike their unimaginative movesets though, I can deal with slow if the moveset was something Katana-ish.

Maybe someday we'll get to wield Katanas like Lady Maria did.

Katanas really needed a complete overhaul in DS3, they should be very fast weapons with very long range, but relatively low damage, being slow weapons with a boring overhead slash moveset is very uncharacteristic of Katanas in general.
The game seems to represent Katanas well to me. The startup frames IIRC are the character getting into the proper posture to swing the katana, something not as needed for other kinds of weapons. I'm not going to try to be an expert on katanas or anything but I think that was what they were going for, and not so much your crazy anime million hits a second sort of thing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The game seems to represent Katanas well to me. The startup frames IIRC are the character getting into the proper posture to swing the katana, something not as needed for other kinds of weapons. I'm not going to try to be an expert on katanas or anything but I think that was what they were going for, and not so much your crazy anime million hits a second sort of thing.
Yup. I'm no expert myself but I do have kendo training (and some very very basic iaido training) and I feel like Souls games have done fairly good justice to katanas.

Sande

Is there a bigger than usual leap from NG+6 to NG+7? On +6 I was steamrolling through bosses, speedrunning the game in 84 minutes. On +7 I got stuck on a lot of the late game bosses.

Maybe I just had an off day or maybe the natural scaling starts hitting like a truck at NG+7, but in any case it felt like a really jarring bump in difficulty.

2AdEPT

He did ask people not to spoil things, but you know - youtube commenters gonna youtube comment. People do that stuff just because you asked them not to or not. He really should've not trusted to read the comments if he really didn't want to be spoiled, and this is his 2nd playthrough, so.... It sucks, but you should know it's going to happen, so don't read them.

I haven't viewed the latest ep though, I'm a bit behind.

I dont like his attitude at all. Like you said, if you really dont want to be spoiled then dont read the comments...but "wahhh then I cant be part of the community" Reality bites pick your poison and stop whining. There is ZERO chance he was going to figure out hollowing for the simple fact he is afraid to die. He is hell bent on trying to prevent deaths and dying at a rate of once every few episodes isnt going to get him hollow anytime soon and people are tired of him floundering around this second playthrough when we all know he wont figure out much more than his first playthrough without help. I couldnt get half of the NPC questlines to continue properly COMPLETELY SPOILED and following my guide...GOod luck to ENB figuring shit out blind...I did figure out simple stuff though like using the tree to jump on the roof, shooting arrows at the invisible walkway to get to the OBVIOUS bonfire in the tower, and figuring out the reason for the lift in the Cathedral of the deep that puts you up high to get the other side of the cathedral....granted it could be becuase he is blind as a bat and doesnt always wear his glasses...but come on...there is always the danger of looking like an idiot blind, but dont blame your missed stuff on "wahhhh the souls games are hard, your not supposed to figure it out blind your first playthrough" BS! thats the whole point of a blind let's play! Get your friggin glasses on and do a good job the first time through! I think he secretly knows he wont do any better his second time through and really needs the spoilers but doesnt want to admit FORM has beaten him and he wont be able to do it.

Hollowing got spoiled for me too. Doesn't help that I'm oblivious as all hell and missed it ON TWO PLAYTHROUGHS! O well...

Anyone to help transfer items on PC? thx.

Yeh I can hop on. Do me a favour and like send me a PM with a list of things you're giving me, or add me Steam and do the same. I have pretty crappy memory and I don't wanna forget to give you things back.

Edit: gimme like 30min or so, I need to try and fix my GPU. This low FPS and super high temp is annoying me.

squidyj

Hollowing got spoiled for me too. Doesn't help that I'm oblivious as all hell and missed it ON TWO PLAYTHROUGHS! O well...

Yeh I can hop on. Do me a favour and like send me a PM with a list of things you're giving me, or add me Steam and do the same. I have pretty crappy memory and I don't wanna forget to give you things back.

Edit: gimme like 30min or so, I need to try and fix my GPU. This low FPS and super high temp is annoying me.

this time it's just a carthus curved sword, i hope you can remember at least that much :p

Meccs

Has anyone tried out the Lothric Knight Greatsword for PvP? At SL65 with a quality build this thing two shots most people, especially if you enchant it with lightning (it already comes with lightning damage). The damage is insane. Equip the Leo ring too and everyone that thinks it's ok to trade even just one hit will wonder how he went from 100% to 0% HP in seconds. It also requires almost no skill if you have the endurance for it since the first swing staggers them and the second kills them or they have like 20% HP left if they are lucky. 500-something AR at 30/30 Quality. Goes up to 600ish with enchantments.
I always hated GS and UGS but that thing is dope. I used Profaned for w while but didn't like it that much. Not sure why.

2AdEPT

So what's the deal with having Morion Blade in your left hand even though you can't use it?

It boosts attack power by 20% at low health and stacks with red tearstone which also gives a 20% boost. The dragon torso gives a 10% boost (when I remember/its safe to use it) and the bleed is enhanced on a luck build. With the hyper mode build at level 90 I can get over 800 AR.

I could two hand but the stamina cost and the recovery animation from the attacks are longer for two handing...you actually get more for your money by just one hand r1 spam over a whole stamina bar.

If you want to learn how to start a Hyper mode run early you can watch here (but I beleive they jsut patched the swordsman glitch...you can still try to beat Dancer legit at low level though.)

The Red Hilted Halberd is god tier. The range, the tracking, the ability to roll catch, and then Perseverance to top it all off. I hadn't used a halberd yet in this game and I am loving it.

Sande

I wonder what the best super high level weapon in the game is? Like 40+ in any (and all) skills.

You'd think it's something like Twin Princes' Greatsword or Dancer's Enchanted Swords that scale with pretty much everything, but the split damage hurts the output a lot.

Anri's Straight Sword seems to be the best I've come across. STR/INT/FTH/LCK scaling, buffable, and the insane straight sword moveset. Current AR is 496 (BKG is 500).

laxu

I wonder what the best super high level weapon in the game is? Like 40+ in any (and all) skills.

You'd think it's something like Twin Princes' Greatsword or Dancer's Enchanted Swords that scale with pretty much everything, but the split damage hurts the output a lot.

Anri's Straight Sword seems to be the best I've come across. STR/INT/FTH/LCK scaling, buffable, and the insane straight sword moveset. Current AR is 496 (BKG is 500).

The Sunlight Straight Sword is pretty good too. AR of a +5 is close to +10 refined Dark Sword but its weapon skill adds a 10% AR buff and 10% bonus to damage absorption for 45 seconds and it can be buffed too.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm very disappointed with the Katanas, straight swords do more damage, are significantly faster, consume less stamina, and have a better weapon art.

Better than Hold? Get outta town!

Do you like Bloodlust? Not much between it and DD although it pales to the Washing Pole and BB AR wise but is similar to Bewitched Alonne Sword in abilities mainly the weapon art. The decreased technicality within combat is a shame it does limit the skill gap (wildly meta dependent) substantially.

It looks awesome, but I found the moveset to be pretty standard for DS3. I've not messed about with it a whole lot l. On paper, the 30% damage bonus from the WA seems like a great deal, especially with the decent scaling. Problem is, this is all built on one of the lowest base damages for katana with a buff that lasts for something like 15 seconds or so. Unless you're into playing really dangerously, multiple buffs are a no-go: the damage you take and how high the bleed metre cranks are way too much. It's a wildly inefficient piece of kit really. You need those buffs to make it competitive but there's only a short window in which it is. Couple that with the short range and I find i'm chasing people down desperately to make the most of it rather than considering the moves and fighting properly. That's PvP, of course; some of that's mitigated in some of the fat boss fights and short mob clearances.

Maybe a very aggressive playstyle with hyper mode on (ToD, Morion and RTSR) would work with it but I've not tried that.

For me, the best katanas at the moment are O&U (buffable, L2 chews through health and has a nasty phantom range, and the Onislayer WA is perfect for chase downs/punishing) and Black Blade (shit range but buffable, highest katana AR, great tracking on 2H R2, and access to the Hold WA). Pre-patch the WP was the undisputed king.

If you want to learn how to start a Hyper mode run early you can watch here (but I beleive they jsut patched the swordsman glitch...you can still try to beat Dancer legit at low level though.)

When did they patch it?!

kaos.

Dayum! How many attempts did that take?!

I'm at Irithyll on my SL1 run, so Pontiff next. I watched LobosJr's SL1 fight against Pontiff and it went pretty easy, I just know I'm not going to get the good RNG though, plus parrying, urgh!

I'm on a SL1 and i have to kill Pontiff too, i'm rocking a RAW astora straight sword (+10) + red tearstone ring + hornet ring... when i parry+reposte him, i take more than 1/3 of his health!
My problem is that i can't figure out when it's the right moment to parry his first attack (my success rate is lower than 10%) and don't want to kill him if i haven't learned it...

Any hint?

EDIT: Nvm, done.

Top Bottom