• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Sweet OT! Can't wait. Actually the wait is fucking killing me. Might be time to finally beat bloodborne in the meantime.

Neoweee

I am very curious in seeing GAF's reactions to the game. This could become a giant shitshow.

So, guys: what should my focus be, stats wise?

I usually played a STR/DEX character in previous games. With some VIT & END of course.

Will I fare well if I prioritize these stats again?

Core stats (Vigor, End, Vit, Str or Dex or both. Vigor is HP, Vit is Equip Load, ala DS2).

Further thoughts (not really spoilers, but balance concepts):
I think the vast majority of people having difficulty with the game are trying to play it for their first time without a shield at all, which is just senseless given the game mechanics.

Marc

Got the game early and couldn't stop playing it, about 11 hours in. :D

Really enjoying it at the moment, I have only been frustrated twice in the game so far and it was in the same section of the game. Which is an odd experience for Dark Souls, usually I am cursing why I play these games after a few hours. And it was just a case of some enemy using spam attacks, and
a boss shortly after using the same soul arrow spams as it was just a bigger version of these enemies. Died twice after getting him/them down to almost no health, switched to magic proof gear on the 3rd attempt.

Just wondering as all the reviews I read/watched said this game was a lot harder than the others, does it get tougher later on? I'm only
bosses in,
way into cathedral of the deep
, and haven't done any soul farming yet. Haven't got much gear yet either, well stuff that I like anyway, straight swords and heavy armour.

As such I haven't really focused my build anywhere as I have no idea what gear to shoot for at the moment.

Here's my dude -

z2J2Ljb.jpg

I am wearing a
fallen knight helmet usually, but the rest of the gear is nothing special. Got some frost sword that looks cool, but can't work out if its worth upgrading or not.

Risible

I've heard that spell casting is kinda weak in this one. Is that true? Should I not play a spell caster as my first character?

How about archer? Is archer a viable build for DS3?

Is there a consensus on "most OP build" yet?

I. can't. wait.

NEO0MJ

Oh yeah, Dark Souls III get! See you guys later!

26281574771_2210740130_o.png

In another note, I'm disappointed it wasn't a real steel case. Can't believe I didn't notice this when I picked it up.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Why isn't it Tuesday yet?

Sigh.
Still waiting.

Spoilery question for the people who already played the game:
Are there any good shields to find early in the game?
I'll go deprived if there are, otherwise i'll start as a Knight.

Nice OT sir.

The eternal struggle of STR vs DEX. This is eating me up more than I imagined. I only play these games once that's why it's such a hard choice.

green man gaming hasn't given out steam codes yet right?

How can you play it on steam when it's not activated before release? Or do you have a special copy of some kind?

it unlocks early for a lot of people because its a worldwide release, so whatever the equivalent of monday 6pm eastern time for you

Mandelbo

Now now, this is the Dark Souls 3 OT, let's not derail it with the same "X souls game is shit/a masterpiece" arguments that we've seen a dozen times before.

Now now, this is the Dark Souls 3 OT, let's not derail it with the same "X souls game is shit/a masterpiece" arguments that we've seen a dozen times before.

I don't get this.
Your allowed to say "Dark Souls 3 is the best souls game" but you can't say "Dark Souls 3 is not as good as Dark Souls1". why? Criticism not allowed? :/

Sanctuary

But that's not what people were saying pre-JP launch. And I'm not even talking about comprehending the lore, but rather people saying that they would run in circles and not know what to do. That never really happened :lol

Personally, after Demon's, there was only a single instance where I got "lost" in these games. The one thing I screwed up on in Dark Souls 2 was not
exhausting Licia's dialogue the first time I spoke with her, and wondering where the fuck I should go after I literally cleared every other possible area (inlcluding all areas reached through the well and Freja) that I could without her moving the path.

rdytoroll

I don't get this.
Your allowed to say "Dark Souls 3 is the best souls game" but you can't say "Dark Souls 3 is not as good as Dark Souls1". why? Criticism not allowed? :/

Because most people havent even played the goddamn game. By saying this you already fuck with the excitement and hype people have for this game/launch. Just chill out a few days until everyone had a chance to play it.

Neoweee

Personally, after Demon's, there was only a single instance where I got "lost" in these games. The one thing I screwed up on in Dark Souls 2 was not
exhausting Licia's dialogue the first time I spoke with her, and wondering where the fuck I should go after I literally cleared every other possible area (inlcluding the gutter) that I could without her moving the path.

Yeah, that was shit. Glad they fixed it, but that was too easy to get skip in the first weeks of release.

I honestly found shields to be a hindrance in PvE. Took too much stamina on block and I couldn't attack safely after blocking. I mean I guess it works well for weaker enemies, but you try blocking against those knights in the beginning without parrying or try using a shield against the giant enemy crabs and you're gonna have a bad time. Bosses in particular become a lot easier when you have a general understanding of their moveset and when to dodge roll and essentially just play more aggressively.

Shields though are pretty dang good in PvP.

Because most people havent even played the goddamn game. By saying this you already fuck with the excitement/hype people have for this game/launch. Just chill out a few days until everyone had a chance to play it.

Umm, it's an opinion and I'm sure most people like to read opinions ;)
Are you trying to say that I'm lying and I should wait a couple of days before I'm allowed to tell more lies about this game? :p

rdytoroll

Umm, it's an opinion and I'm sure most people like to read opinions ;)
Are you trying to say that I'm lying and I should wait a couple of days before I'm allowed to tell more lies about this game? :p

I never said that you were lying, where do you got that from?

Anyway, im done with this offtopic :)

Sanctuary

Yeah, that was shit. Glad they fixed it, but that was too easy to get skip in the first weeks of release.

Haha, they fixed that? I've still been treating it the same as it "should" have been done since launch.

I honestly found shields to be a hindrance in PvE. Took too much stamina on block and I couldn't attack safely after blocking. I mean I guess it works well for weaker enemies, but you try blocking against those knights in the beginning without parrying or try using a shield against the giant enemy crabs and you're gonna have a bad time. Bosses in particular become a lot easier when you have a general understanding of their moveset and when to dodge roll and essentially just play more aggressively.

Shields though are pretty dang good in PvP.

High stability shields were fucking awesome in Demon's and Dark. No idea how they are in this game though.

Mandelbo

I don't get this.

No, it's because regardless of whether it's in reference to DS3, or DS2 or whatever, these things almost always spiral out of control into the same, unending, predictable arguments about which game is better and chastising people who say differently. It's annoying and I'd rather this thread didn't end up like the review thread or a lot of Dark Souls threads before this.

CHC

No, it's because regardless of whether it's in reference to DS3, or DS2 or whatever, these things almost always spiral out of control into the same, unending, predictable arguments about which game is better and chastising people who say differently. It's annoying and I'd rather this thread didn't end up like the review thread or a lot of Dark Souls threads before this.

Yeah it's always the same, walls of ">>>>>>>>>>>>>>"

So annoying and ultimately pointless.

mr.beers

Bought the game on cdkeys.com and I wonder when they pass out keys normally? The download page shows "This product is a Pre-Order, it will be available here on or slightly before the release date of 12th April 2016." How long is "slightly before" in their book?

Sanctuary

I don't see it. LTTP title was funny. People always take the titles too seriously.

But it is what it is, the title really doesn't matter. What matters is where's my fucking code GMG????

They are probably waiting for the key that they were going to send me before I got a refund, and grabbed a key from Gamesplanet (they literally sent the key in a minute and the cost was exactly the same).

What time does this unlock? I read some people saying 6pm Monday? On steam specifically I guess...

It's the same for both PSN and Steam. In the OP.

T.O.P

Banned
Great OT Yoshi!

Didn't realize this was coming out so soon, might grab it in a couple of weeks i guess, too much shit to do

Santiako

What time does this unlock? I read some people saying 6pm Monday? On steam specifically I guess...

PC Version time zones:

Monday April 11th at 3:00 PM PDT (UTC -7)
Monday April 11th at 5:00 PM CDT (UTC -5)
Monday April 11th at 6:00 PM EDT (UTC -4)
Monday April 11th at 7:00 PM BRT (UTC -3)
Monday April 11th at 11:00 PM BST (UTC +1)
Tuesday April 12th at 12:00 AM CEST (UTC +2)
Tuesday April 12th at 7:00 AM JST (UTC +9)

Saint9806

I've played about 3 hours so far. Loving the new speed. Great mix between Bloodborne and Dark Souls. I always thought the Souls were a little too slow. I think this speed is perfect.

aravuus

They are probably waiting for the key that they were going to send me before I got a refund, and grabbed a key from Gamesplanet (they literally sent the key in a minute and the cost was exactly the same).

Was getting a refund from GMG a pain? Might do the same as you did

e: assuming you're talking about the Steam key?

Raxious

Nice topic as always @Yoshichan.

Probably gonna go Pyromancer the first run, any tips on what I should focus on stats and gear wise?

Late Flag

Anybody happen to know if/when the preload on PS4 starts?

I decided to go digital this time because Amazon wasn't going to deliver until Thursday for some reason.

Probably gonna go Pyromancer the first run, any tips on what I should focus on stats and gear wise?

Same here. I went melee-only for DS2 and Bloodborne (of course), and I'd like to mix things up a little and go back to some sort of caster this time around. Pyromancy sounds like the most flexible route.

Auctopus

Stat/mechanics question: I've got quite a big health bar now but enemies can still kill me in maybe 2-3 hits. Does this mean I need to put points in to VIT?

Marc

MAYBE SPOILER, no specifics.

Spoilery question for the people who already played the game:
Are there any good shields to find early in the game?
I'll go deprived if there are, otherwise i'll start as a Knight.

There is a good shield selection within the first few hours, although I stuck with the knight shield for most of my time. Only switched recently as I needed strength for the bigger shield.
Then found a lighter shield with better stats shortly after.. which was annoying.

I kind of wish I went deprived, the early enemies and boss are very easy, after you get passed them you should be able to get what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom